Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
puuro

The best Apple product.. ..in the World

Posted · Original PosterOP

In my humble opinion, the standard aluminium Apple keyboard is the best Apple product in the world. Pretty much everything else they make is useless.

I absolutely love this keyboard. It has all the functionality I've ever needed:

It is slim, sleek, beautiful and most importantly, it has scissor keys.

Way back when I got rid of my old Keytronic, I started using a Logitech UltraX Flat keyboard. Back then they were the coolest a keyboard could get. They featured the aforementioned scissor keys that I personally love. They had a couple of media buttons as a bonus. Back then nobody cared about mechanical keyswitches, and I still don't as I don't need them. I'm so used to scissor keys that I can't really get comfortable with anything else. And I like the flatness. I loved the original UltraX so much I painstakingly stripped all the gray paint off the keyboard to get a nice black finish. Then after a while Logitech just kinda stopped making them and they never really released a proper substitute. So after I had to say goodbye to my old UltraX, I used all kinds of keyboards and none of them could bring back the same feeling I got from an UltraX.

After that I started using Macs in school and kinda fell in love with the keyboard. The keyboard was the only thing that made using Macs bearable. The keyboard got me through three years of hell. When I finally realized that the Apple keyboard was the thing that was missing from my life all these years, I rushed to the store and bought myself one.

I've never been happier with a keyboard. It functions perfectly even on Windows. I just changed around some keys in the registry editor and it's perfect. One time I covered my keyboard with water and fixed it by cleaning the whole thing with isopropyl alcohol without even disassembling it. It must be pretty robust because it still works perfect. The only thing that would make this keyboard better is getting the USB ports to supply enough voltage on Windows so they could be used for more things than small USB dongles. And if Apple released a black anodized version with black keycaps.

I'm just posting this because I want to get this out in the open. And if Apple ever dares to break my heart the same way Logitech did, and stop manufacturing my favourite keyboard, I'll be pissed.

I absolutely hate that keyboard. Feels terrible to type on.. Hate laptop keyboards in general. (so keyboards with super flat keys)

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

I absolutely hate that keyboard. Feels terrible to type on.. Hate laptop keyboards in general. (so keyboards with super flat keys)

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

That seems to be the general opinion. I know I'm the weirdo here, but in my defense, I got so used to flat keyboards at an early age, so it is hard to get used to anything else anymore.

iPhone 4S. Everything else is to be blunt pointless.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i'm really not a fan of flat keyboards, i prefer the feel of really pressing down on a key.

but i admit the apple keyboards look very very nice

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

That seems to be the general opinion. I know I'm the weirdo here, but in my defense, I got so used to flat keyboards at an early age, so I it is hard to get used to anything else anymore.

Same here. From 2003-2014 I was using only laptops due to my desktop being firmly stuck in the 90's with its 667MHz Pentium III. And now my Logitech MK700 is proof of my inability to get used to classic keyboards again (I still love my Windows 98 keyboard, however I just can't type that fast on it anymore).

PMSL

SNIP

its ok i guess... nothing special, i dont mind flat laptop keyboards but I find the one on my M18x just as good, etc and I prefer mech keyboards 

I think the 13" retina pro is their perfect product, and maybe the iPhone 6s

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That seems to be the general opinion. I know I'm the weirdo here, but in my defense, I got so used to flat keyboards at an early age, so it is hard to get used to anything else anymore.

I have always used 'regular' keyboards

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

its ok i guess... nothing special, i dont mind flat laptop keyboards but I find the one on my M18x just as good, etc and I prefer mech keyboards 

That reminds me, I should've mentioned affordability and price per performance as good features. The Apple keyboard is by far the most affordable keyboard for that kind of quality. And price per performance is the best you could ever get from an Apple product.

Some rubberdome keyboards can be quite good and closely mimic mechanical ones in actuation and reliability. However you almost always have to go with older ones as modern rubberdome keyboards never last that long-even the expensive ones. Also #IBMModelMFTW

PMSL

No keyboard compares to CherryMX GREENS

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GS Ram: 1x8 2400MHz Corsair LPX, 1x8 Avexir Core Series (blue LED) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150 Future Upgrades: 2x 34" 1440p IPS Curved 21:9 Ultrawides and a 27" 1440p IPS Freesync/Gsync 120-144Hz panel

Aaaand it's an 80$ membrane keyboard with flat keys. No thanks.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

That reminds me, I should've mentioned affordability and price per performance as good features. The Apple keyboard is by far the most affordable keyboard for that kind of quality. And price per performance is the best you could ever get from an Apple product.

There are better keyboards for the price

( btw I am a massive Apple fan, but honestly their keyboards are ... just keyboards, they are pretty, they work fine, and are ok to type on, but nothing special at all)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Some rubberdome keyboards can be quite good and closely mimic mechanical ones in actuation and reliability. However you almost always have to go with older ones as modern rubberdome keyboards never last that long-even the expensive ones. Also #IBMModelMFTW

My cousin still has an IBM Model M. That thing is a beast. And by beast, I mean it's huge and noisy.

Aaaand it's an 80$ membrane keyboard with flat keys. No thanks.

Actually it's only 50$ and it's great compared to other flat membrane keyboards.

But yeah, this is all a matter of opinion. Except the price.

This is the only acceptable apple product

3cf7cb34-8f77-4885-bfec-697f96dd5d61.jpg

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

There are better keyboards for the price

( btw I am a massive Apple fan, but honestly their keyboards are ... just keyboards, they are pretty, they work fine, and are ok to type on, but nothing special at all)

I would love to hear your opinion on other better keyboards? I'm kinda curious if there has been any breakthroughs in keyboard technology lately. Other than f'ing mechanical keyswitches which I have no interest in at those ridiculous prices.

If there is a more beautiful and slim 50$ hunk of aluminium out there, I would love to test it out.

I'd been using a MBP for the last few days so I've been using the keyboard on there (which I presume is identical to their standalone keyboard) and it's meh imo. It's fine for a laptop keyboard but I started missing my MX browns very quickly. + I love the media keys on my k70 and being without them sucks.

This is the only acceptable apple product

I beg to differ, apple cider is also quite acceptable

Current Build

Spoiler
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition, X4 965 <I> RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB <I> GPU: GTX 760 (MSI) <I> Storage: WD Blue 500GB

Planned Build (Blitz)

Spoiler
CPU: FX6300 X6 3.5GHz <I> RAM: Cruicial Ballistix 8GB + Hyper X Fury (White) 8GB <I> GPU: GTX 960 (MSI) <I> Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB + WD Blue 500GB <I> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550w <I> MOBO: Gigabyte GA 970A  

I totally agree. I've actually made my own apple cider a couple of times because I like my cider like I like my keyboards. Flat and full of aluminium. Wait what?

I totally agree. I've actually made my own apple cider a couple of times because I like my cider like I like my keyboards. Flat and full of aluminium. Wait what?

hmmmm Metallic cider, sounds refreshing and cooling.... cuz..ya know... aluminium is commonly used in heat sinks.... so cooling... guys....?

Current Build

Spoiler
CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition, X4 965 <I> RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB <I> GPU: GTX 760 (MSI) <I> Storage: WD Blue 500GB

Planned Build (Blitz)

Spoiler
CPU: FX6300 X6 3.5GHz <I> RAM: Cruicial Ballistix 8GB + Hyper X Fury (White) 8GB <I> GPU: GTX 960 (MSI) <I> Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB + WD Blue 500GB <I> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550w <I> MOBO: Gigabyte GA 970A  

Actually it's only 50$ and it's great compared to other flat membrane keyboards.

But yeah, this is all a matter of opinion. Except the price.

Used to be 80 bucks last time I checked - maybe that's just the wireless model. Still, 50 is hella expensive for a membrane. The flat keys most of all are something that I absolutely hate. They used to make mechanical keyboards, but they weren't as sexy looking I suppose...

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Not for me. It gives me horrible gas.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Used to be 80 bucks last time I checked - maybe that's just the wireless model. Still, 50 is hella expensive for a membrane. The flat keys most of all are something that I absolutely hate. They used to make mechanical keyboards, but they weren't as sexy looking I suppose...

Yeah it must've been the wireless one because it is more expensive. I'm only talking about the basic wired model and won't say anything about the wireless one.

I would love to hear your suggestions on better 50$ keyboards? I might buy a new keyboard for my girlfriend, so some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Flat or not. I know you can't get a mechanical keyboard for that money(at least not where I live), so it should be challenging to find better alternatives.