Typical i7 6700K Voltage at 4.7GHz?

Hello.

I want to find out what is the typical voltage for an i7 6700K to be stable at 4.7GHz? Now there is this rumour that the reviewers version of the i7 6700K are consistently able to hit 4.7 at 1.325v, this includes Linus (click here his video) and Anandtech (click here for their blog). But for people like us, the majority of the retail version of the i7 6700K seem to be only stable on 4.7 at 1.35v or above (I am only stable above 1.36v), there are many other people reporting in other forums that they only seem to be stable at 1.35v or above too (meanwhile many reviewers seem to achieve this easily with 1.325v, what the hell?!)

Anyone here with an i7 6700K have a similar experience? It seems Intel made sure every reviewers get the best "lottery" chips which made every tech channels out there a little misleading and suspicious but whatever, I am happy that I can easily achieve 4.7GHz and temperatures never exceed 76 degrees Celsius on a small, cheap Artic Freezer 13 cooler (waiting for my AIO watercooler). Please share your CPU frequency and voltage below!

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Hello.

I want to find out what is the typical voltage for an i7 6700K to be stable at 4.7GHz? Now there is this rumour that the reviewers version of the i7 6700K are consistently able to hit 4.7 at 1.325v, this includes Linus (click here his video) and Anandtech (click here for their blog). But for people like us, the majority of the retail version of the i7 6700K seem to be only stable on 4.7 at 1.35v or above (I am only stable above 1.36v), there are many other people reporting in other forums that they only seem to be stable at 1.35v or above too (meanwhile many reviewers seem to achieve this easily with 1.325v, what the hell?!)

Anyone here with an i7 6700K have a similar experience? It seems Intel made sure every reviewers get the best "lottery" chips which made every tech channels out there a little misleading and suspicious but whatever, I am happy that I can easily achieve 4.7GHz and temperatures never exceed 76 degrees Celsius on a small, cheap Artic Freezer 13 cooler (waiting for my AIO watercooler). Please share your CPU frequency and voltage below!

well cooling makes a difference. most reviewers use 240 or 280 aio. the reason for that is physics. the higher the temperature the lower the conductivity. although this is more relevant with higher temperatures it can have an impact on something sensitive as a cpu.

also silicon lottery is silicon lottery you cant change it...

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I don't know about 4.7Ghz but I was able to reach 4.6Ghz @ 1.365v with my i5 6600k with a cooler master nepton 240m.

I overclocked my 6700k yesterday (4.7ghz) and I use adaptive +0.03V and for boost Voltage 0.25V   -> aida shows that it's around the 1.27V

Hello.

1. Reviewers tend to use super beefy coolers with premium grade thermal paste, which you may not have.
  2. Intel would most likely send binned chips to reviewers, in order to try and make the product look better.
  3. Reviewers don't stress test as much as humble people. I doubt they spend 24h of Aida64 + a multitude of different use cenarios, as they really don't have the time to do so. Unlike the rest of the internet.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

well cooling makes a difference. most reviewers use 240 or 280 aio. the reason for that is physics. the higher the temperature the lower the conductivity. although this is more relevant with higher temperatures it can have an impact on something sensitive as a cpu.

1. Reviewers tend to use super beefy coolers with premium grade thermal paste, which you may not have.

Surely 75 degrees at 1.36v is not that high that would affect stability on max load during stress test. Isn't only when you reach 85 degrees Celsius that you will run into problems?

When I had mine at 1.325v for 4.7GHz the temps only max out at 72 degrees Celsius and it crashes / BSOD after 5mins of stress test until I set it to 1.36v of which most people did end up using.

EDIT: nevermind I misread ChrisCross' post. Lower heat can improve conductivity (therefore less voltage required) of which AIO watercoolers can do better than small air coolers.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Surely 75 degrees at 1.36v is not that high that would affect stability on max load during stress test. Isn't only when you reach 85 degrees Celsius that you will run into problems?

Not necessarely. While 75º is a good temp, and I'd say safe to run at, it doesn't mean that it is stable. It's very possible that, if you managed to decrease 1 or 2 degrees, your chip will achieve stability, if you were on the very edge of it. It's unlikely that you are within such tight range, but it's very well possible that this was the result of your lotery.

Remember, temperature changes the physical properties of the materials within the chip, and if you know about thermodynamics, you know how just 1 degree can make A LOT of difference.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Not necessarely. While 75º is a good temp, and I'd say safe to run at, it doesn't mean that it is stable. It's very possible that, if you managed to decrease 1 or 2 degrees, your chip will achieve stability, if you were on the very edge of it. It's unlikely that you are within such tight range, but it's very well possible that this was the result of your lotery.

Remember, temperature changes the physical properties of the materials within the chip, and if you know about thermodynamics, you know how just 1 degree can make A LOT of difference.

Thanks for the information.

• 1 year later...

If anyone still cares about this. My 6700K is stable 4.7Ghz @ static 1.3v bios LLC level 5 and 1.296Vcore max actual HWinfo and XTU Vcore readings.

I have a Maximus VIII HERO. And use a CM Hyper D92 air cooler.

Maximum temperature ever logged is 73C while streaming overwatch, or playing DOTA2. 

When not streaming I have never seen it go past 71C. 

It averages at 40-60C depending on how much gaming I have done that day (usually over 8hours of gaming) it's proven stable for over 4 months. 

I can also 4.8 at 1.344 actual Vcore but my sanity can't handle it. I don't like my CPU ever going above 75C even if it is averaging great temps.

Signed,

Necromancer Rhodus  

16 minutes ago, Scream Silence said:

If anyone still cares about this. My 6700K is stable 4.7Ghz @ static 1.3v bios LLC level 5 and 1.296Vcore max actual HWinfo and XTU Vcore readings.

Maximum temperature ever logged is 73C while streaming overwatch, or playing DOTA2. 

It averages at 40-60C depending on how much gaming I have done that day (usually over 8hours of gaming) it's proven stable for over 4 months. 

I can also 4.8 at 1.344 actual Vcore but my sanity can't handle it. I don't like my CPU ever going above 75C even if it is averaging great temps.

Signed,

Necromancer Rhodus  

This thread is 2 years old.  Too funny.

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2017 at 6:04 PM, Scream Silence said:

Signed,

Necromancer Rhodus  

Damn, you have a pretty good 6700k. I need to run 1.355 volts with LLC at L5. For 4.8 ghz I have to bump the voltage to 1.415 and be willing to run 80° temps, haha.