Western Digital to abandon ‘Green’ brand in favour of ‘Blue’ HDDs

sylarspock

Doesn't make much of a difference to me. I have always avoided WD Greens and went with Blue or Black either way.
Black's additional warranty is worth it imo.  :ph34r: 

Current system using 4TB black as mass storage, and my is NAS on WD Reds  :P 

Western Digital Corp. plans to unify its Green and Blue product lineups. The move will help the company to increase its profit margins. For end-users, the unification of low-cost HDD brands could mean increased performance of affordable hard disk drives.

wd_western_digital_blue.jpg

Western Digital is set to unify its Green and Blue families of hard disk drives under the “Blue” brand, reports PC Watch. WD Blue HDDs will be aimed at mainstream personal computers, WD Black will be designed for high-end desktops and workstations, whereas WD Red will focus on network attached storage systems.

WD’s Green hard disk drives have variable RPM [revolutions per minute] performance, whereas WD Blue feature 5400 or 7400 RPM. It is unclear whether new HDDs will all feature variable RPM, or will stick to 5400 RPM, leaving 7200 PRM to the WD Black series.

For a limited period of time current WD Green HDDs will be sold under WD Blue brand, but with different product numbers.

WD reportedly claims that the unification is made to simplify HDD choice by consumers.

Update Comments from KitGuru:
KitGuru Says: In fact, cancellation of a low-cost hard drives brand makes sense for Western Digital from business standpoint. Increasing price of HDDs by $5 – $10 – a sum that many retail customers will never notice – will help the company to increase its revenues and margins. Any increase in revenue automatically means increase in research and development spending, which means additional performance and capacity.

Source:
http://www.kitguru.net/components/hard-drives/anton-shilov/western-digital-to-abandon-green-brand-in-favour-of-blue-hdds/

I cant see WD winding the Blue drives down to 5400RPM and leaving the Black drives to be their only consumer 7200RPM drives :/

I personally think it should just be left as is, with Greens being safe mass storage, Blues being quicker and more average, and Blacks being the performance HDD's.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Just saying if they make blues 5400s, then I will never buy a WD drive again (not when HSGT offers near WD black performance on their red line for way cheaper.)

Moving back in HDD speed is just another indication of the growing obsolescence of the media.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Interesting. Personally I have one WD green. It works like a charm ^~^. Nice to see Blue and Green HDD mix. Why not call it yellow from now on ? Mixing reliable storage of green while maintaining the lightning fast speed of 7200 RPM?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Gotta love WD,...I have a green thats over 5 years old and going strong... But understand their move.

& Aussies pronounce Favor like "FAE-VA"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Well, it is sad to see it go because they seemed to always be on reason at a reasonable price. Now there will only be price increases. :(

(and it is always interesting to see arguments break out over how to pronounce something haha)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Just give me a 2TB WD Blue or higher....then i'm happy.

I'm stuck using 2x 1TB Blues...

ill take an HGST drive thanks, dont want my data getting lost lol.

more of a stab at seagate than wd but i havent owned a wd drive in forever. oddly enough i have one of those notorious dying 3tb seagate drives and it runs fine. got lucky i guess.

Just saying if they make blues 5400s, then I will never buy a WD drive again (not when HSGT offers near WD black performance on their red line for way cheaper.)

Moving back in HDD speed is just another indication of the growing obsolescence of the media.

You do know that WD owns HSGT right?

You do know that WD owns HSGT right?

Yes, but they still offer massively different value lines and the HGST's seem to be faster (for non-black ofc), yet cheaper and more reliable.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

buying a hard disk drive based on performance relative to other hard disk drives is just a ridiculous notion altogether. 5400 rpm drive thats reliable should always come before a 7200rpm model that has a high failure rate.

if you want performance, get a solid state disk.

I love my WD greens. Inexpensive mass storage, anything that needs speed goes on SSDs.

But i understand the need increase revenue.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

They're going to unify the two? It doesn't quite sound like it's a dropping the RPM deal to me. Sounds like they're going to make something like Toshiba's MD series drives to me. A 'power efficient' 7200 RPM drive that spins down after it hasn't been used for so long.

That being said, I wouldn't say an RPM drop is out of the question...

Never actually seen the usefulness of Greens, to be honest. Always went for Blue or Black

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

What they say: "We're getting rid of the WD green drives in favor of the WD blue/black drives"

What they mean: "The quality of the blue/black drives will now go down as the green drives are now just lumped into the blue lineup. 

thank god their green drives are terrible even for backup 

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

I cant see WD winding the Blue drives down to 5400RPM and leaving the Black drives to be their only consumer 7200RPM drives :/

I personally think it should just be left as is, with Greens being safe mass storage, Blues being quicker and more average, and Blacks being the performance HDD's.

they should merge Black and Velociraptor... So all black drives has 10400 RPM.... Now that is performance.

fun fact though, although i cannot find it anymore, WD had a HDD with 20.000 RPM speed some 5+ years back... it cost more then my whole gaming rig does today.

Whelp, there may be a sweet period where WD greens will be even cheeper, woot.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?