Do any of you fold with a Laptop?

Title says it all.

I just started folding and now my Laptop sounds like a helicopter idling on my desk. It has a decent ppd but I'm a bit concerned about it's longevity due to the limitations of it's cooling system.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

@WinNut does.. 

it's a horrible idea

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

they have a short enough lifespan as it is

dont abuse it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I should add that it's already ~3 years old.

I guess I'll finish my current jobs and stop. Don't want it to die before I finally jump to a new desktop.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

i7-3610QM 2.3GHz | Radeon HD 7970M 2GB | 12GB 1600MHz | 2x 240GB OCZ SSD | 750GB Hybrid Drive | Windows 10

Title says it all.

I just started folding and now my Laptop sounds like a helicopter idling on my desk. It has a decent ppd but I'm a bit concerned about it's longevity due to the limitations of it's cooling system.

I do, but I wouldn't recommend it. On my main laptop(Latitude E6420) I fold using the Chrome client using low settings(medium if I'm not doing anything). On my GT70 I fold at full speed with the full F@H client with the fan maxed out(using the fan button). Folding at full speed will shorten the lifespan of your laptop, but if you use the Chrome client with limits then you will be fine. The only time I would recomend Folding using the full client is if your laptop is rated for heavy use and has excellent cooling.

Title says it all.

Folding with laptop = bad.

You can Boinc on it, though, you have much better control over your tasks, so you can calibrate usage for your laptop.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I do on an old samsung one (in my signature) but that thing is down to the motherboard and in my basement, you couldnt even tell it was a laptop if you looked at it lol so I would say scrap it down to only the bare essentials and go for it also stick it in your basement or a cool room if you have one :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

what even is folding?

Basically adding your PC's spare power to a cluster of other PC to help researchers out.

Sager/Clevo NP9170

I fold on my 2011 17" macbook pro every now and again. Thing gets toasty.

Huhreeaal toasty

MacBooks are always toasty haha

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I use Boinc on my Macbook pro. I had to increase the fan speed on it slightly, drop the processing tasks to 60% of the time on 62.5% of the cpu, usually hovers around 60 degree's C. I did get a Coolermaster slim laptop cooler for it to rest on as well, but I don't think it helps all that much. 

You won't get points quickly this way, if that's your goal. 

Lots of people (including Linus) are never negative t words folding on a laptop but I don't understand how a well designed Professional or gaming laptop would not work fine? Sure it might shorten the laptops life if you run it 24/7, but 8 hours a day in an air conditioned house doesn't seem like it would fry one to me..... My laptops 3720QM is more powerful than my PC.

I fold 24x7 on "up to" three laptops at a time using Folding@Home Chrome NaCl (native client) ... two ACER laptops are 9 years old and Lenovo is two years old (also have up to three Desktops folding 24x7 and an occasional AWS cloud GPU instance) It's true, they can get toasty, but if you keep the cooling ports clear (this includes NOT keeping them running while on bed-sheets) and blowing out the dust out of the cooling grid an fan every couple of months with canned air (careful not to overspeed the fan bearings when blowing canned air through them), they're usually fine. Even if they overheat, all they've done for me is automatically shut down and wait for a restart.

Usually the worst that happens is, your fan bearings can wear out and usually those are more difficult to replace than Desktop fans. So if you want to fold but stay cautious, fold on the low setting during the day, and set it to medium at night (when it's usually cooler) ... or buy an external cooling fan like one person suggested.

As you've probably figured out, folding isn't exactly free when done on a large scale - that's why teams like curecoin.net are attempting to correlated folding with actual monetary value in the form of cryptocurrency.

laptops gonna crap itself

and break within a couple months

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

My work Laptop carries an Intel Core i5 5250U and folds pretty damn well for the Nacl client.

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

I always recommend the Google client for folding on laptops. A great compromise on PPD/WU's completed and heat generated.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I always recommend the Google client for folding on laptops. A great compromise on PPD/WU's completed and heat generated.

When my laptop reaches 120C...it's like death for my laptop.

When my laptop reaches 120C...it's like death for my laptop.

You may want to look for a manual fan program to keep it running at 100%. Obviously it will annihilate your battery life, but we're not folding on the go, are we?

Usually fans on laptops will run anywhere from 30-75% of their maximum speed depending on thermal sensor...but I have seen amazing things happen when an override is used to keep it spinning at max rpm. 120'C usually means some component (or components) are experiencing loads they werent designed for (at non-stock speeds), or something is failing and needs some help breathing. Granted component age can also be a huge factor.

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

You may want to look for a manual fan program to keep it running at 100%. Obviously it will annihilate your battery life, but we're not folding on the go, are we?

Usually fans on laptops will run anywhere from 30-75% of their maximum speed depending on thermal sensor...but I have seen amazing things happen when an override is used to keep it spinning at max rpm. 120'C usually means some component (or components) are experiencing loads they werent designed for (at non-stock speeds), or something is failing and needs some help breathing. Granted component age can also be a huge factor.

No.....it's HP fault for having shitty coolers that barely cools anything in a slim laptop with a APU in it. 

No.....it's HP fault for having shitty coolers that barely cools anything in a slim laptop with a APU in it. 

I feel you.

Mine shares the heatpipe / entire cooler with the GPU. If I tighten the CPU bracket (so in other words, the only mounting places), it makes the CPU run cooler...... BUT, reduces contact with the GPU, thus making it overheat. The only cooler in the world where you have to loosely screw it to function properly....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I feel you.

Mine shares the heatpipe / entire cooler with the GPU. If I tighten the CPU bracket (so in other words, the only mounting places), it makes the CPU run cooler...... BUT, reduces contact with the GPU, thus making it overheat. The only cooler in the world where you have to loosely screw it to function properly....

same with my old dell laptop. Just bend the heatpipe down a bit or use a copper shim