Disassembling my Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboard. Lots of pictures.

Hi guys,

I had promised to take apart my Blue Switch Mechanical Keyboard from Monoprice.com for $57 without taxes or shipping, at some point or another. I have been putting it off for a while but then decided to do it at work. That was (mostly) a success.

TL;DR:

It is a high quality keyboard (to an extent) with a metal plate that gives it weight and durability. It is very easy to disassemble.

Anyway, on to the pictures. Remember guys, be responsible. Put pictures in spoilers if there are ever more than 1 and they are large (or any combination of either... wait, what? lol). Note that the resolution of these pictures is 2592x1944 but scaled down to Flickr's "large" size (1024xsomething or other). Forgive blurriness where it exists.

9496022075_e5c1e7666b_b.jpg

My workstation. Front of the keyboard.

9496021495_6e5e464939_b.jpg

Back of the keyboard. Small screw drivers as the orange handled one cannot fit the screws.

9498819900_3676dd6110_b.jpg

Picture of one rubber section (very grippy with a descent amount of area) and one of the large (small, but bigger than the small ones) screws. There are 8 in total around the outer edge of the keyboard.

9496014771_f6e6d2e994_b.jpg

Picture of the case removed. The screws were too small and it being all black made it hard to take a picture of them. There are 2 smaller screws along one side of the case on the back along with the rest of the screws. Extra reinforcement. I like it.

9496014157_091e2fb91f_b.jpg

Picture of the screw holes. The one on the left is the larger one, the one on the right is the smaller one. This is the back of the casing.

9498811334_a91527d658_b.jpg

Overview and better quality picture of the back of the PCB.

9496010023_d89b8de9c9_b.jpg

Front of the PCB and the front casing.

9496008207_997f55aacd_b.jpg

Front of the PCB/Keyboard/key caps/etc. The top right is the LEDs and the power/USB cable.

9498803324_9b6b4ba806_b.jpg

Took all the key caps off. This was the second most frustrating part. It was time consuming.

9498802634_39930dd2da_b.jpg

High quality picture of the Switches and Metal Plate. That black plate will be in a later picture where you can see how thick it is. It is hefty.

9498800584_567eb51af1_b.jpg

Semi-close up of half of the keyboard. Other half in next picture.

9498799196_289240e720_b.jpg

Other half. 

9495999363_b6504b9065_b.jpg

Close up of the PCB part where the LEDs and power/USB cable connect.

9498796558_d034ddd708_b.jpg

If you see the smudge on the top key, that is the trouble spot. Someone spilled something while I was away and now that key does not click anymore. It works fine however.

9495996795_0bc8b62b44_b.jpg

Top view of the Metal Plate.

9495995545_792d31ff0f_b.jpg

Glamour shot of the PCB and Metal Plate.

9498792002_61bb512dcf_b.jpg

Glamour shot of the PCB, Metal Plate, and Switches/LEDs.

9495992013_e46e059a05_b.jpg

This is where things went wrong. I removed the switch, but if you notice, there are paint scratches on the metal plate. I used a flat head screw driver to pry it up. Mistake #1 (Removing a switch at all).

9495987143_c248ccaf4f_b.jpg

Disassembled switch. For those who do not know what the inside of one looks like. The spring is a spring, it's point is obvious. The white plastic bit is what goes against that metal piece beside the spring. It is what makes the "click" noise audible. 

9498782166_b0c6a8fcdc_b.jpg

It separated (mostly) into individual pieces. The white piece and the Metal piece come off, but I did not want to bother as I feared I would break it.

*SPOILER*

If I had know I had already broken it by removing it from the PCB, I would have done so.

9498781596_828894fd84_b.jpg

Reassembled switch. It is not hard at all to reassemble these things.

9498780116_1750b2ef40_b.jpg

Me about to reinstall the Switch. 

9498780324_6929e93a49_b.jpg

Switch successfully installed (just a bit of force in the right orientation). Or so I thought.

9498778350_b1b5182af3_b.jpg

Another high quality shot of the back of the PCB.

9495978633_e8d61ffe5c_b.jpg

Picture of the PCB, the casing, the wire removed for the USB/power, and the tool set I used for this.

9498775512_4eb81c03a1_b.jpg

These are the USB/Headphone/Microphone in/out ports that are not fully punched out. They use the same housing as the other Mechanical Keyboards that Monoprice sells, and those have a USB hub and Microphone/Headset hub.

9495975759_3c9ace9ba3_b.jpg

Here is the casing on with the keycaps off.

And that is it. After this I put all the keycaps back one, which with the wires on the longer keys, like the spacebar, was a pain the butt. 

I also remove and cleaned the problem switch, the Up Arrow key. I broke it. Now the Page Up and Up Arrow key do not work. I have to use Tab/Home to get to the top of a page now. :( 

I think I can fix it by soldering (as I am sure I broke the solder), but that will have to wait. They are not that important to fix right now. So be warned, do not remove the Switches from the PCB of a Mechanical Keyboard unless you intend to fix them/replace them. And you can replace them with other switches, if you can/are willing to solder.

I will be using the spare switches I got from www.wasdkeys.com to fix it. The Page Up button will be a Red Switch and the Up arrow key will be the default Blue.

I also broke the little metal clamp thing off and now the Up arrow key is nothing more than a Blue without a click. It is weird to me. 

I am pretty sure this voids the warranty so be warned about that too.

So yeah, there is my disassembling of my Mechanical Keyboard. Do not make the same mistakes I did. However, taking it apart made it absurdly easy to clean. Even the glossy case. Just run it under water and wipe it off. Easy as pie. 

Thanks for reading,

Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This will make taking mine apart when needed a hell of a lot easier, thanks

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

I do not like to step into the world that is Reddit. But I will consider it. :P Thanks for the suggestion.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Was the keyboard worth the money ? Or was it actually a well built keyboard ? ( I see the pics but I want your opinion on the actual typing)

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Was the keyboard worth the money ? Or was it actually a well built keyboard ? ( I see the pics but I want your opinion on the actual typing)

It is a very well built keyboard. I had the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate in my hands at a Microcenter for a while (with a few other mechanical keyboards) and it is as good, if not better than that one. 

Not to say the Blackwidow is a particularly "good" keyboard, but just as an example. Though I only got to use that for about 30 minutes.

The switches are awesome. They do what Blues should do. Click. The one that broke was my own fault as something spilled there and then I broke the clamp that makes the click noise and adds resistance to the key press.

Check my signature for the First Impressions and the Review.

But to answer your question, yes. Imo, it is a very good keyboard for the money. Simple. Durable. It works. That is all that is needed when it is $58 (without shipping/taxes) for something that usually costs $100+ to get quality products. 

I would/will probably buy the Red Switch higher tier version for my next Mechanical Keyboard. Update: Got the CM Quickfire TK red switch edition instead. I want one of every switch if I can to test them out. But that will be far into the future. Other things (like the 9970 290X) come first. :)

† Christian Member †

It is a very well built keyboard. I had the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate in my hands at a Microcenter for a while (with a few other mechanical keyboards) and it is as good, if not better than that one. 

Not to say the Blackwidow is a particularly "good" keyboard, but just as an example. Though I only got to use that for about 30 minutes.

The switches are awesome. They do what Blues should do. Click. The one that broke was my own fault as something spilled there and then I broke the clamp that makes the click noise and adds resistance to the key press.

My first impressions are here if you want them. 

This is like my review kind of. I will add an addendum to the end of the OP for this purpose. Check back tomorrow (I am so tired, I can barely type this atm, sorry). 

But to answer your question, yes. Imo, it is a very good keyboard for the money. Simple. Durable. It works. That is all that is needed when it is $58 (without shipping/taxes) for something that usually costs $100+ to get quality products. 

I would/will probably buy the Red Switch higher tier version for my next Mechanical Keyboard. I want one of every switch if I can to test them out. But that will be far into the future. Other things (like the 9970) come first. :)

Thanks for the reply, I may be considering this keyboard but I have another question where does the "Blue" switch fall into the line ? I know there is Blue, Red, Brown, I think there is another but I don't quite remember where the fall, IE. Resistance, Noise. (I think other people could answer this if you are going to sleep lol)

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Thanks for the reply, I may be considering this keyboard but I have another question where does the "Blue" switch fall into the line ? I know there is Blue, Red, Brown, I think there is another but I don't quite remember where the fall, IE. Resistance, Noise. (I think other people could answer this if you are going to sleep lol)

Blue: clicky. Not heavy. Lots of noise.

Green: clicky. Very heavy. Lots of noise.

Brown: clicky. Not heavy. Less noise

Red: not clicky. Light. Less noise

Black: not clicky. Heavier. Less noise

Im on my phone so i explaining more would hurt my thumb as im tired already. Good nightx)

Im on my phone so i explaining more would hurt my thumb as im tired already. Good nightx)

This.

Note that "Clicky" is different from "Tactile Bump". Blues/Greens are the loudest. And I like them for that. 

There is also Clears too. 

@L.E.D. I do not know about Clears, but if you break the clamp (like I did) on Blues, they are basically Browns.

† Christian Member †

This.

Note that "Clicky" is different from "Tactile Bump". Blues/Greens are the loudest. And I like them for that. 

There is also Clears too. 

@L.E.D. I do not know about Clears, but if you break the clamp (like I did) on Blues, they are basically Browns.

Thanks guys, I have another question where you write "not heavy" are you talking about the pressure you have to use to push the key ?

Thanks guys, I have another question where you write "not heavy" are you talking about the pressure you have to use to push the key ?

yes blues take 50 grams of force and reds take 45g.

i do not know the others off the top of my head

hmm

yes blues take 50 grams of force and reds take 45g.

i do not know the others off the top of my head

So going from a cheap membrane keyboard to that keyboard with blue switches will be a huge jump, I am actually thinking about getting that, too bad they are out of stock....

i just checked and blacks take 60g

browns take 45g

greens take 80g

edit: also i would suggest blues if u are getting ur first mechanical keyboard

hmm

i just checked and blacks take 60g

browns take 45g

greens take 80g

edit: also i would suggest blues if u are getting ur first mechanical keyboard

Thanks, Like I said all I need now is for them to be in stock !

thanks for pulling it apart man, I wish more people would do this especially those who review professionally.

your descriptions are a bit vague and none of the non clicky switches themselves make noise.

thanks for pulling it apart man, I wish more people would do this especially those who review professionally.

your descriptions are a bit vague and none of the non clicky switches themselves make noise.

they all do if you bottom them out.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

they all do if you bottom them out.

Its not the switch that does it. I know I may be arguing semantics slightly here but I dont like seeing the switch being blamed for the noise when it isnt the cause of it.

Its not the switch that does it. I know I may be arguing semantics slightly here but I dont like seeing the switch being blamed for the noise when it isnt the cause of it.

Oh, alright. :)

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Note that if you are buying a blue, that kboard makes tons of noise. You may regret it. My first mechanical kboard was a red and it was fine for me.

Note that if you are buying a blue, that kboard makes tons of niose. You may regret it. My first mechanical kboard was a red and it was fine for me.

I like how you wrote that in a blue-ish font.

Note that if you are buying a blue, that kboard makes tons of noise. You may regret it. My first mechanical kboard was a red and it was fine for me.

I personally dont think blues make all that much noise. Maybe compared to rubber domes they might but to other keyboards there are plenty that are louder. Also think about all the other noises people can be dealing with at their desks i wouldnt label the blue switch keyboard as anywhere near the worst offender.

I personally dont think blues make all that much noise. Maybe compared to rubber domes they might but to other keyboards there are plenty that are louder. Also think about all the other noises people can be dealing with at their desks i wouldnt label the blue switch keyboard as anywhere near the worst offender.

I never said it was the loudest tho

I'm just saying they are loud. and they are.

I never said it was the loudest tho

I'm just saying they are loud. and they are.

then your level of loud and my level of loud differ greatly and a blue switch keyboard is NOT for you.

then your level of loud and my level of loud differ greatly and a blue switch keyboard is NOT for you.

Since when is loud always a bad thing? i like how loud the blue switches are

Since when is loud always a bad thing? i like how loud the blue switches are

i cant hear them over my fans lol

hmm