Office Chair - Ikea Markus

WereCat

Hi, there. So I was in need of a new office chair and I wanted something comfortable that wont leave me begging on the streets so after some reasearch and reading various reviews of various office chairs I decided to pick Ikea Markus.

There were 2 versions of the chair. One was leather with leather cushions on the arm rest and the other was entirely of fabric and a rubber on the arm rest. I picked the fabric one since I would sweat a lot on the leather one.

(Not entirely sure if it was true leather).

xuedu.jpg

Entire base of the chair is made of metal and it is painted black. Arm rests are also made of metal. Rest of chair is fabric that feels it is made of really good materials. It was packet really tight and compact. I would not really trust to someone like UPS to deliver it to me however as there could be caused some damage on the chair because it was packed so tight that damaging box could easily damage chair. There were even warning on the box not to even come close with knife to it and trying to open it as you can easily scratch or cut the chair while trying to open it.

Assembly of the chair was very easy. There was only 11 screws from which 4 of them are in the arm rests so entire chair can be assembled just by 7 screws. There are offsets made for screws for the back support so you can place it more further from the sitting cushion and make a gap there which I did as I have experience of dirt building up in those places and this makes it a lot easier to clean up.

There are two levers on the chair. One controls height and the other one leaning of the back support. You have two options for the leaning. You can let it unlocked and you will lean based on how much force you put into the back support.

15fitl4.jpg

The back support have tendency to push towards you but it is not strong enough to lock on it self if you (my guess) weight over 70kg. I am 80kg and if I lean slowly it wont retract completely back but I am not really far from it so I think my guess of 70kg is somewhat accurate. For anyone above 80kg I would say letting back support leaning unlocked makes no sense as you will be always leaning the furthest it can go.

Then there are 3 locking position for the leaning of the back support. One is no lean at all then the other one is half way between no lean and max lean and the last one is max lean it can go. If you accidentaly unlock leaning while you are locked you wont budge as you have to first move your self away from the back support to unjam the locking mechanism which is neat as you dont have to worry that you will fall or something. BTW unlocking and locking requite some force so I would say you wont move the lever accidentaly.

You cant lean very far though like on some more expensive chairs. On pictures it max not seem like much but I cant use max lean position while working on the PC as it is really far even though it may not seem like so on the pictures.

efrpsm.jpg

1zokvwi.jpg

2vkj9ye.jpg

The back rest is really tall which is great for me as I am also tall and I can rest my head on the cushion that is up there which is nice. I couldnt do that on chairs I owned previously. You can also not use arm rests if you with but you will have to get some smaller screws to fill the holes for screws. If you use the screws that come with chair they will be sticking out of chair some distance and you can caught your clothes on it or something. Unfortunately arm rests are fixed so you cant adjust their height and they are positioned a little lower than I would like but usualy I have hands on the table on mouse and keyboard anyway.

EDIT:

I also forgot to mention that the wheels have some rubber on them so they have good friction on the floor unlike the plastic ones which barely spin and usualy just slide if you are trying to move.

My conclusion:
This chair is very comfortable and have some simple but good features that work and I dont know of any other chair that would beat it in this price range. I can definitely recommend it. My parents and friends approve it too (if that helps :D ).

0/10 not dx racer..

Jk, I've sat on the chair, they are decent and affordable.

I've had a Marcus for around 2 years now and I would say that it is a perfectly fine chair. I would highly recommend it to others :D

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It look way to flimsy for me... 113 kg

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I own the leather(if real, no idea tbh) version of this chair, have had it a little over a year and no complaints.

Considering the price, I agree with op and recommend this chair to others that are looking for a decent chair within this price range..

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I bought this chair a few months ago... I feel like it's a tad too high off the ground for me. (even at the lowest setting)

It felt all right when I tested the display one though.

But still, it's a pretty decent chair.

Other complaints - the arm rests are good, but they interfere with my keyboard tray from my desk.

It makes it hard to pull the keyboard out.

I'm tempted to teach myself how to weld so I can make my own custom height adjustable arm rests

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I have a Markus for over 4 years now and I don't want another one.
If you sweat a lot this chair is just made for you. Nothing against the Racer chairs but I don't want a wet back after 1-2 hours of sitting.

Only problem:

The height adjust thing doesn't work properly anymore. Sometimes the chair will just go back to the lowest position (the gas srping is probably damaged) but the chair is almost 5 years old now and I use it a lot, this things can happen.
I will probably buy a new one in the next few weeks.

I have a Markus for over 4 years now and I don't want another one.

If you sweat a lot this chair is just made for you. Nothing against the Racer chairs but I don't want a wet back after 1-2 hours of sitting.

Only problem:

The height adjust thing doesn't work properly anymore. Sometimes the chair will just go back to the lowest position (the gas srping is probably damaged) but the chair is almost 5 years old now and I use it a lot, this things can happen.

I will probably buy a new one in the next few weeks.

Isnt it under warranty still? I think I got 5 year warranty on the one I have.

I've had one of these for about 3 months now and its awesome, best chair i've used!

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Had the same chair & I had to return it DOES NOT SUPPORT UPPER BACK AT ALL lol there is also a Youtuber who talked trash about this chair it's okay if you are broke but don't expect it to compete with DXRacer or Aeron by Herman Miller 

Had the same chair & I had to return it DOES NOT SUPPORT UPPER BACK AT ALL lol there is also a Youtuber who talked trash about this chair it's okay if you are broke but don't expect it to compete with DXRacer or Aeron by Herman Miller

Of course. But those cost 2-3x as much.

I had this chair once, replaced it with dx racer some years ago.

It's not bad for the price but I wanted something more flexible.

Also the cloth back got dusty rather easy.

It does but while vacuuming just run out over with vacuum cleaner and it is clean again. Quite easy to clean actually.

• 2 weeks later...

Isnt it under warranty still? I think I got 5 year warranty on the one I have.

I should clarify that it is possible that the chair is more than 5 years old.

My father had it before I got it (he bought a new fancy 900$ chair and I got the Markus. I have no Idea how old it really is and I also don't have the bill.

I went into Ikea about a month ago to try this chair out and I completely hated it, shame

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It look way to flimsy for me... 113 kg

Yea. I think it is built for around 110kg max.

I think the Markus ones are 150kg rated. Or at least I hope so. I'm ~135kg right now (slowly loosing weight, I was 143kg a few months ago), got a Markus for free second hand, had to do some fixing, but I really really love it over my old chairs, it's so much more comfortable and sturdier. The metal base is a godsend, as I'm not scared my weight will break/bend it anymore (as happened with my older chairs) and in general I recommend it.

When I get the money, I play on getting a new leather version of it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube