21:9 Monitor Options

aabro

ASUS should have the PB298Q out soon as is available in some countries and some reviews are out.

Thank you for pointing this out, it looks quite nice. At this point I am pretty much sold on the PB278Q and will be heading out to pick it up in a few hours.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Thank you for pointing this out, it looks quite nice. At this point I am pretty much sold on the PB278Q and will be heading out to pick it up in a few hours.

I have one sitting in front of me now. I actually preordered it, though with the PA279Q out now I would have probably gone with it if it would have been available at the same time.

Which one do you have, the PB278Q?

My budget pretty much tops out @ $650 for a panel. So the PA279Q is ~$200 out of my range. I was going to spend the money on a new 780 but my panel is so old and dated that I wouldn't benefit...have to upgrade this first.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

All this LG discontinued issue is very strange. Either the monitor simply didn't sell, and decided to stick with 1 model after all. I mean, it's not the first time 21:9 aspect ratio monitor existed. Philips tried and pulled out in similar fashion. Tried again with this time a focus on movies... didn't work. Then Toshiba tried.. failed.. trying again with laptops. Now it's LG turn, with this time support from Dell and ASUS which uses LG panels.

The PA279Q is nice monitor. It uses a true 8-bit panel and can emulate 10-bit colors (hardware and DisplayPort needed). It uses GB-LED backlight to achieve wide gamut, and fantastic whites.

Also, comes with 2 manufacture pre-color calibrated profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB, ready to be selected on the monitor on screen menu for the best colors.

This monitor is ASUS answer to Dell's U2713H (not to be confused with the lower end: U2713HM).

It cost more because:

-> True 8-bit panel

-> GB-LED backlight (costly)

-> Faster and better internal circuit required including a 10-bit or more color processor and 10-bit or more Look Up Table.

My budget pretty much tops out @ $650 for a panel. So the PA279Q is ~$200 out of my range. I was going to spend the money on a new 780 but my panel is so old and dated that I wouldn't benefit...have to upgrade this first.

I am not sure it's a wise choice to get the 780. Maxwell should be released early next year, and looks promising.

yea I have the PB278Q and hopefully ill pick up the PA279Q if it get s rebate or promo or something eventually. I doubt youd need the PA279Q tuthfully, though I really like my PA246Q and PA249Q for photo editing and video encoding. The PA279Q is a big version of the PA249Q + GB-LED vs W-LED. The other thing is thats its AH-IPS vs the PB278Q's PLS becuase PLS looks kinda weird next to IPS/AH-IPS kinda like the PA246Q did to the PA248Q but not in the same way.

All this LG discontinued issue is very strange. Either the monitor simply didn't sell, and decided to stick with 1 model after all. I mean, it's not the first time 21:9 aspect ratio monitor existed. Philips tried and pulled out in similar fashion. Tried again with this time a focus on movies... didn't work. Then Toshiba tried.. failed.. trying again with laptops. Now it's LG turn, with this time support from Dell and ASUS which uses LG panels.

The PA279Q is nice monitor. It uses a true 8-bit panel and can emulate 10-bit colors (hardware and DisplayPort needed). It uses GB-LED backlight to achieve wide gamut, and fantastic whites.

Also, comes with 2 manufacture pre-color calibrated profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB, ready to be selected on the monitor on screen menu for the best colors.

This monitor is ASUS answer to Dell's U2713H (not to be confused with the lower end: U2713HM).

It cost more because:

-> True 8-bit panel

-> GB-LED backlight (costly)

-> Faster and better internal circuit required including a 10-bit or more color processor and 10-bit or more Look Up Table.

Yep though I really wish ASUS would make a 30in 2560x1600 which I prefer over these 2560x1440 panel not only because the 16:10 vs 16:9 but the pixel density is closer to 24in 1200p and 23in 1080p monitors. O and

16:10 FOR LIFE!

Appreciate all the info guys. Picking up the PB278Q today, I'll report back.

I am not sure it's a wise choice to get the 780. Maxwell should be released early next year, and looks promising.

Yea future incoming cards is another reason I decided to go with a new monitor first. I am on an HD7950...should tide me over until new cards come. 780 has just been so tempting to me....trying to hold out.

Yep though I really wish ASUS would make a 30in 2560x1600 which I prefer over these 2560x1440 panel not only because the 16:10 vs 16:9 but the pixel density is closer to 24in 1200p and 23in 1080p monitors. O and

16:10 FOR LIFE!

Yes, 16:10 is awesome. You have the Dell U3013 if you want 2560x1600 monitor.

Yea future incoming cards is another reason I decided to go with a new monitor first. I am on an HD7950...should tide me over until new cards come. 780 has just been so tempting to me....trying to hold out.

I have a GTX 260... I am also waiting for Maxwell. While I don't have a 27inchg monitor, and only 1920x1200 one, then again, my GPU is older then you current one. I am fine in gaming. Sure I can get max settings at 60fps on the latest games. But I can get high-setting at 30fps on the demanding game. Yes i know it's not ideal... and I don't think your graphic card will be that bad in performance, I am sure we can live until early next year.

I have a GTX 260... I am also waiting for Maxwell. While I don't have a 27inchg monitor, and only 1920x1200 one, then again, my GPU is older then you current one. I am fine in gaming. Sure I can get max settings at 60fps on the latest games. But I can get high-setting at 30fps on the demanding game. Yes i know it's not ideal... and I don't think your graphic card will be that bad in performance, I am sure we can live until early next year.

I cant see why you quoted me....

I forgot myself. fixed.
lol its cool

Yes, 16:10 is awesome. You have the Dell U3013 if you want 2560x1600 monitor.

May i ask what is Maxwell?

May i ask what is Maxwell?

I think its the next Nvidia Architecture.

It is Nvidia next GPU architecture. Maxwell was announced in the works in 2010 (multiply that by average 100k wage per year per engineer, and multiply that by 1000 to 2000 engineers... yea.. now you know why Graphic card are not cheap). It will be the first GPU that features an integrated ARM CPU. No one really knows what it gives. But a BIG problem that GPUs have is that they cant' really do logic. What I mean, is that when you programming with DirectX or OpenGL shading languages (language for the GPU which allows it to do effects, to put in simply), when you use, something like an if condition (if object A is this, do that, else do this), well GPUs can't do this... they render both, THEN decide which one is the best to take. This is very costly (performance). This is because how GPUs are designed.  If you don't mind a heavy reading:

http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter34.html

You also need to understand pipeline: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_%28computing%29

So we don't know anything. And the above is nothing more then speculation. And of course, we know nothing on how it works. It might need to do some translation and create latency, which only provide 5% performance boost.. or it could be something for PhysX or CUDA. But it looks promising, and I doubt Nvidia will invest so much time and resources for a 5% increase in performance, and is quiet interesting. It's like the reverse of Intel with it's integrated graphic solution.

Got home and installed my PB278Q.....OMG it is sooo nice.

Zero pixel issues. YAY!

Got home and installed my PB278Q.....OMG it is sooo nice.

Zero pixel issues. YAY!

Im running mine at 40 brightness, you?

Awesome! Glad you are having a seizure due to the awesomeness of the monitor :p j/k

But yea glad you like it.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Im running mine at 40 brightness, you?

Using 60 at the moment, still playing around. Default was set at 80....was insanely bright.

Awesome! Glad you are having a seizure due to the awesomeness of the monitor :P j/k

But yea glad you like it.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Haha! You bet, thanks for putting up with me. I am still awe struck with how much real estate this is... I went from a 22" and thought the 29" widescreen was huge.... this is monstrous! 

Haha! You bet, thanks for putting up with me. I am still awe struck with how much real estate this is... I went from a 22" and thought the 29" widescreen was huge.... this is monstrous! 

Sure no problem. Yea, 27inch is really big. I have one at the office. I wish I had one at home.. but at the time, it was Dell U2410 at 750$ or Dell U2711 at 1000$ . Those where my only choices. ASUS was still making really cheap TN panels. Like forget 120Hz.. just pure basic glossy, cheap, TN panels, where you about anything would have been better. That was back in 2009.

Sure no problem. Yea, 27inch is really big. I have one at the office. I wish I had one at home.. but at the time, it was Dell U2410 at 750$ or Dell U2711 at 1000$ . Those where my only choices. ASUS was still making really cheap TN panels. Like forget 120Hz.. just pure basic glossy, cheap, TN panels, where you about anything would have been better. That was back in 2009.

Yea its amazing what ASUS has done in just over 2 years with their pro monitors.