21:9 Monitor Options

aabro

Hello everyone

Im helping a friend choosing between these two monitors he picked out. The two monitors are LG 29EA93 and the AOC Q2963PM, and yes he want an ultra-wide display. 

Thanks on behalf of my friend! 

The LG one is more expensive, but they're pretty much identical in terms of features

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

All 21:9 29inch aspect ratio computer monitor all uses the exact same LG panel. Pick the one that has the features that interest you and the company you trust most for RMA, and warranty coverage.

Personally I would recommend the Dell U2912WM, because it has 0 bright and stuck pixel warranty, and only 6 or more dead pixel coverage, with no zone or distance crap. Plus, Dell pays and takes of shipping both direction for you. And you get to keep the monitor while you wait for the replacement one. So you always have a monitor on your desk.

All 21:9 29inch aspect ratio computer monitor all uses the exact same LG panel. Pick the one that has the features that interest you and the company you trust most for RMA, and warranty coverage.

Personally I would recommend the Dell U2912WM, because it has 0 bright and stuck pixel warranty, and only 6 or more dead pixel coverage, with no zone or distance crap. Plus, Dell pays and takes of shipping both direction for you. And you get to keep the monitor while you wait for the replacement one. So you always have a monitor on your desk.

How are 21:9 displays anyways? like quality wise, i haven't seen or heard much from people about them.

How are 21:9 displays anyways? like quality wise, i haven't seen or heard much from people about them.

They are fine. They are 6-bit eIPS panel, much like what you would expect from the U2312HM or the U2412M, if you have either. Just in 29inch version.

If you buy the LG branded model, just make sure you have the latest revision, as they improved the monitor configuration/circuitry to make it faster, and well better throughout from the initial revision.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6741/lg-29ea93-monitor-review-rev-125/8

They are fine. They are 6-bit eIPS panel, much like what you would expect from the U2312HM or the U2412M, if you have either. Just in 29inch version.

If you buy the LG branded model, just make sure you have the latest revision, as they improved the monitor configuration/circuitry to make it faster, and well better throughout from the initial revision.

Do you mean like LG 29EA93-P? or how can you be sure, you get the latest version?

I was looking at the AOC one myself, been doing plenty of googling and many people seem satisfied for games. I am not too worried about price though so I may just spend the extra money and get the Asus one due to branding/warranty popularity among consumers.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Actually, for warranty, Dell has the best one. Where you get to keep the monitor while they send you a replacement one. And in the box of the replacement one, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label ready to be stick over the current one, for you to return the faulty monitor. In other words, pay Dell shipping both directions and prepares everything for you. You just have to call the mail carrier to come and pick it up.

After reading that review and seeing the steps LG took to improving the firmware....I am pretty much sold. Good stuff.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Picked up my LG 29EA93-P, it is version 1.23

it is BEAUTIFUL..... but has one bright green pixel 5" off center to the right.... not sure if I should return it.

Everything I've read says the dell has bad motion blur despite it being the same LG panel.

( I purchased this locally from FRYs )

TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review site, says it's good.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm

[edit]

Hmm... PRAD, another in depth monitor review site disagree, although not horrible, just not great.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-dell-u2913wm-part11.html#Rating

I wonder if it's a revision thing...

TFTCentral, an in depth monitor review site, says it's good.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm

[edit]

Hmm... PRAD, another in depth monitor review site disagree, although not horrible, just not great.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2013/review-dell-u2913wm-part11.html#Rating

I wonder if it's a revision thing...

Yea see idk, although they all kinda vary on this matter. I will get to more testing later this weekend and let you know what i end up doing.

Wtv, I doubt you'll have the bad luck of another bright pixel. Just return it and buy another one. Don't exchange it. (exchanging doesn't reset your return time window)

You're right, I am bringing it back Sunday. Believe I had the last one so I will just return it and order the Dell direct.

You're right, I am bringing it back Sunday. Believe I had the last one so I will just return it and order the Dell direct.

Or wait until they receive more... don't they get new stock every week?

If you want to get the Dell one, pick the phone to order.. you can price negotiate. So assuming that the response time is not as good, at least you'll have a lower price.

So I had to just return it...because they are out of stock...AND....they say it is a discontinued product and will never be getting more. 

Weird...

huh what? It's new! Makes no sense.

Then again.. LG has the following new modes (exact same monitor, just the stand is different):

29EA73-P, and 29EB73-P

Yea it makes absolutely no sense...I had the 29EA73-P...

As much as I loved the format...I may ditch it and go for this: http://www.frys.com/product/7511736?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You are a trusted advisor? Any recommendations? I will be upgrading to a GTX 780 after I get my screen figured out. I play a mix of game types. I'm coming from a 22"  LCD $100 LG monitor that is 3yrs old.

This gets more and more strange.  :huh:

@GoodBytes check this out: On B&H photo's site I requested to be notified when the monitor is back in stock (this was a few days ago before I purchased locally) and I just got this email.

Dear Customer

Thank you for your interest in the following item:

LG Electronics 29EA93-P 29" UltraWide LED Backlit IPS Monitor
(B&H # LG29EA93P)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. 

Thank you, The B&H Web Team www.bhphotovideo.com 420 Ninth Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA | Call: 212-560-3277 / 800-718-5999

So I guess this monitor is going to be discontinued afterall.... I wonder why?

ASUS should have the PB298Q out soon as is available in some countries and some reviews are out.