That "clock" that Mohamed Ahmed made is a 1980's Digital Alarm Clock

ChrisxIxCross

hope all this free shit is retracted 

Haha I wish but that probably wont happen. Kid just got lucky

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

the kid tried to get a quick A in science class trying to pull the fleece over the teachers eyes.. and then he got a surface pro 3.. good for him

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

omg, this kid done messed up his life LOL

Having experience being arrested and interrogated at a young age.

Living off undeserved fame (by not actually making the clock)

Wonder how he'll cope with this and man is he gonna facepalm every time he looks back at his youth once he grows up.

"lucky"

Setting a bad example lmao

True that haha. But who knows maybe with all this free shit he'll actually become somebody. 

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

True that haha. But who knows maybe with all this free shit he'll actually become somebody. 

honestly i hope his dad forced him to do it.

omg, this kid done messed up his life LOL

Having experience being arrested and interrogated at a young age.

Living off undeserved fame (by not actually making the clock)

Wonder how he'll cope with this and man is he gonna facepalm every time he looks back at his youth once he grows up.

If I was him I'd be feeling pretty guilty... Hahaha If he goes to the google science fair what the hell is he gonna say? 

So kid can you tell us some more about this clock? 

uuuuuuuuh

THe pictures did not help this, it LOOKS like its in a briefcase, it's not, that is a PENCIL case, its all of 6 inches wide. This is like opening up a Tiger Electronics digital game and saying it looks like a bomb.

I had hoped it was AT LEAST an instructible done from scratch.

OP, you should add that he used a countdown clock, put it in a metal case, his dad is running for presidency in Sudan and is possibly using this opportunity to his advantage, the cops and adults KNEW it wasn't a bomb, and probably assumed it was a bomb hoax from the beginning, which it very likely seems to be. This is also all around 9/11. Coincidence?

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

If I was him I'd be feeling pretty guilty... Hahaha If he goes to the google science fair what the hell is he gonna say? 

So kid can you tell us some more about this clock? 

uuuuuuuuh

He sounded pretty guilty in this video 

So you're telling me that disassembling a DIGITAL clock is anything near hard? At the age of 16 I disassembled and reassembled a laptop and I feel that that's way harder than doing the same thing with a clock. (Also, I never asked for recognition for it, nor do I call myself an inventor (don't think the kid does so himself but you can at least step forward instead of being dazzled by the fame). 

To the gallows is what I say!

Yeah you did. And I did not call it hard, I said that it can be tricky, and if you have disassembled then I'm sure you know that that can often be tricky. You don't know the story. As said, he may just have done it just to brag about it, or whatever. As long as you don't know his intentions it is wrong to condem him. He is just a kid, and you don't know if he built it to resemble a bomb. And if he wanted it to resemble a bomb he did a piss poor job. I don't know why he made it and neither do you, so lets just wait and see. 

Also, he said he worked on other stuff as well, you don't know what other stuff that is actually impressive he has created. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Should this thread be merged with the other one?

Whether he fixed an old clock (which I assume based from the picture he did), or not, the whole event isn't because of the clock, it is racism. If it was anyone else, his box would have confiscated and be the end of it. I don't even think the school would call the parents, they would let the kid deal with it, if he wanted his box back.

And THAT is what people are talking about, not that the fact that he built a clock.

Building a clock, it super simple. You can find tutorials online. At it's core, you need a 0.50$ if not less, timer chip, and a few basic components. Using something like a Teensy USB board would be over kill.

Did you all really believe that he built a clock an programmed it and all?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Even if hypothetically this was all a ploy to get such a response, the fact that said response occurred is no less damning. Neither the school or the police knew he didn't build it himself from scratch and most likely thought it was a bomb because of his background. It's a nice strawman though.

clearly they didn't think it was a bomb. They thought it was a fake bomb/bomb hoax. Otherwise, the teacher would have been screaming. And well, bomb squad, evacuations, etc would happen.

Whether he fixed an old clock (which I assume based from the picture he did), or not, the hole event isn't because of the clock, it is racism. If it was anyone else, his box would have confiscated and be the end of it. I don't even think the school would call the parents, they would let the kid deal with it, if he wanted his box back.

I agree and disagree. I agree that this was racism, but i disagree that it would have been confiscated, and that it would end at that. I imagine if a white kid brought in the exact same object, the police would have still been called. It resembled a suitcase (even though it was a pencil box) and had what could be considered a timer, and wires all over the place. This is enough to cause alarm (no pun intended) to anyone. The only difference is, it would not have gotten this much media attention, if any. I doubt it would have ever gone beyond local news. As far as merging the threads, that would suffice as long as the thread title included "*UPDATE*" in it, to remind people information has been added, along with some sort of edit in the original post, with this video included.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Whether he fixed an old clock (which I assume based from the picture he did), or not, the hole event isn't because of the clock, it is racism. If it was anyone else, his box would have confiscated and be the end of it. I don't even think the school would call the parents, they would let the kid deal with it, if he wanted his box back.

And THAT is what people are talking about, not that the fact that he built a clock.

Building a clock, it super simple. You can find tutorials online. At it's core, you need a 0.50$ if not less, timer chip, and a few basic components. Using something like a Teensy USB board would be over kill.

He was arrested for a bomb hoax. Even if he was white, he still could have been arrested for a bomb hoax. I mean...look at it.

He sounded pretty guilty in this video 

He's so humble calling everything he ever made an invention and his hobby is making inventions, not creations but inventions. Please...

Repairing a clock can be difficult as well. First you need to test the components to see what has failed, and what's OK (and that can take a while based on the complexity).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Repairing a clock can be difficult as well. First you need to test the components to see what has failed, and what's OK (and that can take a while based on the complexity).

He should have built a Mini-ITX PC instead and bought that into school 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

He should have built a Mini-ITX PC instead and bought that into school 

Fixing a clock is harder.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

All of us who have had some experience with electronics took the guts from a device and put them somewhere else when we were kids.

If this kid is really a fraud he will fall really hard.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I see a clock. I think you watch too many movies.

I see a PCB, random wires, a power source, and a random clock panel. The context in which this device was brought to the school is one that was unprovoked. It was not an assignment. It was not asked for. He brought this thing, in an enclosure that resembles a suitcase, for no reason other than to show off his abilities (or so he claimed). While you might see a clock, everyone else (including myself) sees a potential threat. It is not uncommon for time bombs in the real world to have some indicator of time, though i question if any of them used a digital panel. Watches and cell phones tend to be the most common, if you keep up on the news. This particular setup looks like it would come from a cliche action film, but it is still a risk i would not want some random teacher to ignore when the decision impacts the lives of hundreds of children. Considering what the US has been through lately, being cautious is the only safe bet. 

Rest assured. If anyone brought this device in, regardless of skin color, it would have been met with the same consequences. My brother was expelled from his elementary school, because he was asked "what would you do if the Dinosaurs came back", he responded "I would get a gun and shoot them". That somehow translated to "he made threats to bring a gun to school". The only difference would be the level of media attention. If this was a different ethnicity, it would not have garnered this much attention.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

This is a list of clocks he could have "made" and been seen as a creator, part of the maker space.

Not to belittle what work he did do, but when I pull a power supply out of a TV, fix it, and put an exploded working TV on the wall in pieces I have not made a TV. I acquire parts and assemble that Nixie clock below I have MADE something. 

When I first heard about this I assumed he had done something like below, made something from disparate parts, created something that had not been there before.

Ignorant of the details and his mind I cannot discount this entirely, I applaud him for his interest and hope he continues down that road, but this was not makerspace, as its been shown to us. If he repaired a non-working clock and re-cased it that is one thing, and power to him, but it's not like the 'ibles below.

I hold no blame for him as to what happened, I merely am not super impressed by his work, I am SUPER disappointed at the teachers, administrators, and COPS involved and the extreme lack of common sense.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Huge-wood-nixie-clock/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cyberpunk-Clock/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Binary-Clock/

http://www.instructables.com/id/A-Word-Clock/

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pong-Word-Clock/