How to effectively search the forum.

Cacao

With the constant reposts of the same topics, I thought I would show the best way to currently search for forum content since, as you all know, the built in forum search doesn't work very well (hopefully it's being worked on). 

Basically just search google with the tag "linustechtips". Here's an example:

Let's say you want to make a thread asking people what their favorite game is, well if you search the forum you won't find much:

cd8776b4e64ca0f433c25b76fe9599bb.png

Yet if you search with google, you straight away find multiple threads on the subject:

872b88dcf7cc367ba6b5d1ccc5017c04.png

So how about we do this to avoid unneeded topics until the search gets fixed?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Google always saves the day

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

That is a good way of searching, but that shouldn't be necessary, the search function needs to be fixed.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

Yes the search needs to be fixed, but there is no fix for people making the same thread when you can clearly see the same topic  on the first page.

Good to know. I know some sites have Google-powered searches on their own sites. Why doesn't ltt have something like that

I usually use both google and the forum search engine if I can't get the accurate results/tags I wanted in the forum. I do like this in google search engine "<insert text here> linus".

I usually use both google and the forum search engine if I can't get the accurate results/tags I wanted in the forum. I do like this in google search engine "<insert text here> linus".

Doesn't work as well ;) Mainly because google picks up Linus as Linux.

63e8ad9590ee0fc983fa360411cce0e3.png

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

"how to effectively search the forum"  let's not use the forum and search for the forum on something else entierly ... love it :p

"how to effectively search the forum"  let's not use the forum and search for the forum on something else entierly ... love it :P

I meant it more like "How to effectively find content on the forum", just I wanted to make sure people understood what the topic is about.

Doesn't work as well ;) Mainly because google picks up Linus as Linux.

Ah screw it, I guess I have to type the forum name keyword after all :(

I meant it more like "How to effectively find content on the forum", just I wanted to make sure people understood what the topic is about.

heh i figured that comment might be misunderstood, i simply found the whole workaround hilarious, nothing wrong with the title, just the fact that your solution to finding  specific content on the forum is to just bypass the forum entierly as it's just that bad.

IKR? 

I believe part of the problem is that people do not use tags enough. Some use them, but most do not. :|

For example, you did not. 

Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

IKR? 

I believe part of the problem is that people do not use tags enough. Some use them, but most do not. :|

Just saying.

But the thing is you shouldn't have to use tags and it shouldn't be the reason for the search not working. The 'tags' should already be in the title and what you say, as you can see google obviously got their algorithms to pick up search results based upon the content of the thread, LTT also does this, just not very well. Maybe it would be possible to implement a 'google powered' search?

Maybe it would be possible to implement a 'google powered' search?

This is the question I ask myself every single time I find a poor forum search engine. "Why not just use Google?" :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You can search a specific site using google by typing "site:linustectips.com How to effectively search the forum"

You can search a specific site using google by typing "site:linustectips.com How to effectively search the forum"

If you know the right commands, you can watch public CCTV cameras anywhere in the world. Just an FYI. Completely random and awesome.

You would be surprised how many are unprotected (Thousands). 

† Christian Member †

If you know the right commands, you can watch public CCTV cameras anywhere in the world. Just an FYI. Completely random and awesome.

You would be surprised how many are unprotected (Thousands). 

its not cctv if you can view it from the web by my definition.

its not cctv if you can view it from the web by my definition.

My bad. You know what I mean however, I am sure.

† Christian Member †

Actually, the LTT forums search works well - if you enclose your search query in double/single quotes. It works for very specific searches. The trick is knowing what to search for, combined with looking through recent topics (if it's a news item from within a week).

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

IKR? 

Just saying.

Just this.

People don't use tags. I have posted A LOT of threads on the "News" section only to find out that it was posted after I searched multiple times, and reason was, there were no tags. Since the search function is a bit broken and doesn't read titles I think we should all just realise that, and start using tags, it will make everyone's life easier.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

If everybody started using Tags it might help but it wouldn't fix the problem.

The simple fact is that the search function on this forum really needs needs to be improved. 

Its Pretty shocking even if a thread is tagged if the words you're searching for aren't tagged you still don't get a result.

I think this thread should be stickied. 

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Glad I am not the only one concerned about reposts.

So many things I could write here... things like this.