Xonar Essence STX ear rape

TheMechEngineer

I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX that is a pretty good sound card that I paid $200 for.

It's worked perfectly for the last 6 months, every day, but on the RAREST occasion this little cunt gives me the biggest fucking ear-rape ever known to mankind.

It has only happened twice now in the past month, but I just casually click on a video and the audio all of a sudden puts out the loudest screech, so loud that I have to rip my headphones off my head and spend the next 10 minutes trying to climb back down off the ceiling.

EDIT: Closing down all applications doesn't fix it, so I have to unplug my headphones and restart the computer to make it stop.

Thanks ASUS, I don't mind you taking my money but I'd prefer you don't send me deaf at a young age as well.

I'd imagine other people here have this sound card, anyone else had this happen to them?

I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX that is a pretty good sound card that I paid $200 for.

It's worked perfectly for the last 6 months, every day, but on the RAREST occasion this little cunt gives me the biggest fucking ear-rape ever known to mankind.

It has only happened twice now in the past month, but I just casually click on a video and the audio all of a sudden puts out the loudest screech, so loud that I have to rip my headphones off my head and spend the next 10 minutes trying to climb back down off the ceiling.

EDIT: Closing down all applications doesn't fix it, so I have to unplug my headphones and restart the computer to make it stop.

Thanks ASUS, I don't mind you taking my money but I'd prefer you don't send me deaf at a young age as well.

I'd imagine other people here have this sound card, anyone else had this happen to them?

Wait, I'm not the only one with this issue with the STX!?

So far it has happened three times for me, last time was about a month ago, shortly after upgrading to Windows 10, but the first 2 times were close to each other, nearly a year ago, after which I started using "third party drivers" and never had any screeching issue again while on Windows 7.

I use the UNi Xonar Drivers, which actually use the latest drivers from c-media (Since Asus decided it wasn't worth doing anything more than Beta since Windows 8 came out)

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

It includes the Asus control panel, as the C-media one doesn't let you control certain features, like the amp)

They just updated the driver today, so I just updated, works nicely. too soon to say if the screeching will still happen.

For me, the screeching lasted for a bit, I just unplugged my headphones and waited until it went away. It also happened with a video. (I'm thinking it's due to a certain codec? I use K-lite Codec Pack)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Wait, I'm not the only one with this issue with the STX!?

So far it has happened three times for me, last time was about a month ago, shortly after upgrading to Windows 10, but the first 2 times were close to each other, nearly a year ago, after which I started using "third party drivers" and never had any screeching issue again while on Windows 7.

I use the UNi Xonar Drivers, which actually use the latest drivers from c-media (Since Asus decided it wasn't worth doing anything more than Beta since Windows 8 came out)

http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

It includes the Asus control panel, as the C-media one doesn't let you control certain features, like the amp)

They just updated the driver today, so I just updated, works nicely. too soon to say if the screeching will still happen.

For me, the screeching lasted for a bit, I just unplugged my headphones and waited until it went away. It also happened with a video. (I'm thinking it's due to a certain codec? I use K-lite Codec Pack)

I did some research and it does seem like many people get it.

One thing I did notice is that I had Hi-Fi enabled (which is a potential cause) in the Xonar Audio Center, so I just disabled it.

Maybe that was causing the problem?

I did some research and it does seem like many people get it.

One thing I did notice is that I had Hi-Fi enabled (which is a potential cause) in the Xonar Audio Center, so I just disabled it.

Maybe that was causing the problem?

I never had Hi-Fi enabled on my side.

I have the following settings enabled:

SVN

Dolby Headphone + 7.1 Virtual Speaker.

PCM 48KHz

amp set to High Gain (64~300ohms)

Most of everything else is set to default. (Windows sound setting is also set to 24bit 48KHz Studio Quality)

Since all three times it happened for me, was when I launched a video, with Media Player Classic (K-lite codec pack), I'm mostly thinking it's an issue between a certain codec and the audio driver.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I never had Hi-Fi enabled on my side.

I have the following settings enabled:

SVN

Dolby Headphone + 7.1 Virtual Speaker.

PCM 48KHz

amp set to High Gain (64~300ohms)

Most of everything else is set to default. (Windows sound setting is also set to 24bit 48KHz Studio Quality)

Since all three times it happened for me, was when I launched a video, with Media Player Classic (K-lite codec pack), I'm mostly thinking it's an issue between a certain codec and the audio driver.

Yeah, looks like we have completely different settings.

I'll try the third-party drivers, 'cause I have a feeling it's an ASUS driver thing.

Yeah, looks like we have completely different settings.

I'll try the third-party drivers, 'cause I have a feeling it's an ASUS driver thing.

After reading up 10 pages worth of posts

http://www.head-fi.org/t/494565/xonar-essense-stx-random-loud-high-pitched-ringing-noise/135

It would seems that the problem might just be Windows itself. And that it's not just the STX or C-media audio chips, that have this issue. According to some posts, it could be the Windows Vista audio stack, which is still used in Windows 10 today, that is causing this issue. Microsoft tried issuing a hotfix for Windows 7 before, but it didn't work out. Apparently this "bug" isn't present in Linux.

Also, that ASUS support is pretty much pretending that this issue doesn't exist and that no one ever contacted them about it, ever.