Why Fittings so expensive?!?!

the reason they're expensive is because its not easy to make metal this shape, and its certainly not easy to get it to the tolerance required to guarantee leak-free.

i've studied metalworking for like 4 years, so i totally know this. (was forced into it, then decided to trade a hacksaw for a keyboard.)

Fittings are expensive since they look pretty, and in the case of compression fittings they probably "actually work"(compression fittings are the worst thing, I hate that they caught on). You could cheap out like I did:

Upf7tTq.jpg

If you need primochill fittings (which I will assume you do based on your previous thread) then that's as cheap as it gets. And quite honestly, if you are building a custom loop you need to scratch the thoughts of "cheap" or "low cost" from your mind, as water cooling is not even remotely a cheap option.

duc sequere aut de via decede

CPU: i7 6800K | Mobo: MSI X99 Gaming Pro Carbon | GPU: SLI EVGA 980 Ti Hydro Copper | PSU: EVGA 1000P2 | Memory: 64 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum | Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 & Samsung 850 Evo 1TB| Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 | Display: Predator X34 & Dell U2715H | Cooling: Custom Loop

Custom hard line watercooled Fractal Node 202 ITX build log

Fittings are expensive since they look pretty, and in the case of compression fittings they probably "actually work"(compression fittings are the worst thing, I hate that they caught on).

Why exactly? they're basically a barb fitting with a clamp already supplied.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

If you need primochill fittings (which I will assume you do based on your previous thread) then that's as cheap as it gets. And quite honestly, if you are building a custom loop you need to scratch the thoughts of "cheap" or "low cost" from your mind, as water cooling is not even remotely a cheap option.

Pretty much. Water cooling, especially if you are cooling your whole system, is a luxury and carries a luxurious price tag. The whole thing will likely end up costing as much as your GPU.

Why exactly? they're basically a barb fitting with a clamp already supplied.

The 'nipple' is shorter, so if they aren't tightened good enough they come apart easier. They also cant be undone then redone, they leak badly if you do this.

The 'nipple' is shorter, so if they aren't tightened good enough they come apart easier. They also cant be undone then redone, they leak badly if you do this.

Hehe. Nipple.

I see, so what do you clamp yours with? (if you do at all, I've heard it's optional but recommended)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

dont cheap out on watercooling components

You will regret it if some chinese crap fittings ruin your $2000 PC

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I see, so what do you clamp yours with? (if you do at all, I've heard it's optional but recommended)

For some fittings I don't use any clamp since its on so tight(Like the gold one I pictured above, I ended up having to cut the hose off). I usually just use -these-(pictured below) since they are cheap and form follows function, but they work great.

hose-clamp_1.jpg

Pretty much. Water cooling, especially if you are cooling your whole system, is a luxury and carries a luxurious price tag. The whole thing will likely end up costing as much as your GPU.

not a really good metric if someone is watercooling a GT610.

but yeah, thats a rough ballpark.

For some fittings I don't use any clamp since its on so tight(Like the gold one I pictured above, I ended up having to cut the hose off). I usually just use -these-(pictured below) since they are cheap and form follows function, but they work great.

hose-clamp_1.jpg

I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Double-Gripping-Nylon-Clamps/dp/B007R52ZDQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1442552797&sr=8-13&keywords=nylon+clamp FAR better and actually cheaper. they look better too. My signatures build log has a derpy photo of my rig using them.

Plastic is icky :P

They work SO WELL though! I have a hard time removing them, and they clamped so hard that they made a good .742mm indent in the tubes. I measured with my calipers for some reason.

i'll add a reference:

basicly, every fitting has to be made like this:

for mass production the process gets tweaked a bit, but the core ideas stay the same.

imagine that's making one hell of a big fitting.

I was watching the video but not paying too much attention and around 0:20 I thought the operator got startled by the snap and backed off the cutter really quickly.

Then I realized there's no actual operator because it's not a manual lathe..

well... if i told you that 4 of those things presented made in an automated way to order can cost more than a hundred dollars...

i guess you can think of what a hand-milled one would cost.

Yeah, stuffs expensive.

I've been watching Clickspring on Youtube lately. He's an amateur clock maker and machinist. Watching him do all that work on the lathe for a simple screw(which he needs multiple of) really makes all other stuff seem so quick and simple. Like seriously, I bet I could build a custom watercooled PC in the time he needs to make one screw.

well, that and the fact hand machining is quickly becoming a lost art, making people who are capable highly desired.

Those fittings cost cents (up to 2-3 dollars for the fanciest ones) to make (I know metalworking too, but you vastly underestimate product margins), but since they are pretty and are used only in exclusive use cases (where generally cost is an afterthought) they are super expensive.

Any argument otherwise is made ignorant of plumbing (specifically pex compression plumbing which is essentially the exact same idea as softline water cooling, in fact the temperature and pressure limits have to be much much higher for pex and yet those fittings are much much cheaper).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Those fittings cost cents (up to 2-3 dollars for the fanciest ones) to make (I know metalworking too, but you vastly underestimate product margins), but since they are pretty and are used only in exclusive use cases (where generally cost is an afterthought) they are super expensive.

Any argument otherwise is made ignorant of plumbing (specifically pex compression plumbing which is essentially the exact same idea as softline water cooling, in fact the temperature and pressure limits have to be much much higher for pex and yet those fittings are much much cheaper).

You forgot shipping costs (higher for few units shipped), rubber (seals), paint and/or ingraving (logos). That plus the fact that water cooling is not mass produced in the same matter normal plumbing is, makes a hugh difference in price.

So its not really fair to compair the 2.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

You forgot shipping costs (higher for few units shipped), rubber (seals), paint and/or ingraving (logos). That plus the fact that water cooling is not mass produced in the same matter normal plumbing is, makes a hugh difference in price.

So its not really fair to compair the 2.

Actually they are. In many cases on the exact same machinery.

Shipping costs? Are you kidding me? I'm sorry instead of 100 dollars for 10000 units to ship it's 10 dollars per 100 units. O dear me, what will I do with the ten cents per unit shipping...

Rubber is used in exactly the same way for brass compression in pex as it is for water cooling.

Paint, engraving... Jesus those two together cost five cents per unit max (.05 cents for the paint and 4.5 for the engraving, and that is only per unit machining cost). Literally.

It is perfectly fair to compare the two, and considering an overpriced pex compression fitting runs you around 5 dollars max, one MUST note how overpriced water cooling fittings are even if that's kinda just a fact of life.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Anyone who thinks water cooling parts are expensive should probably never buy a boat.

Of course, the biggest reason for the high prices is the low demand. And manufacturers know that people who buy them are already paying a lot of money for other parts.

More the latter than the former. But yes.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

This man hit the nail right on the head. If you are going to build a custom loop (and custom is ALWAYS expensive), you need to accept the fact that it will cost you AT LEAST $300, and since you want to build with hard line tube, you can add another $100, with the cost of a heat gun, tube bending kit (if you want to be certain of your bends), and getting extra tubing to account for the messed up bends that will inevitably happen.