Basement flooded, and most of my tech went bye bye.

Kyle_K

Well as the title said I had my basement flooded. I have $1500 USD to get myself some new gaming tech. Only things that remain are 4 Xbox One games, (Assassins Creed Unity, and Black Flag, along with Theif, and Destiny.) I am trying to decide what way to spend my money, and I would like some advice.

I've never had a true gaming pc and I'm intrigued about going that direction. I would also be interested in just re purchasing a Xbox One, and getting a TV. Although I know nothing about TVs at the moment. Maybe if I get a cheaper tv in the 500-600$ range I could also get myself an Alienware Alpha? What would you guys do? Please try to sway me one way or another. (disclaimer: I  am not the most knowledgeable about an optimal pc build and what a good monitor, mouse, or keyboard would cost.) 

What would I do? Steer the fuck away from Alienware as they are way overpriced. Give us a budget, and someone will make you a pc part picker list.

Specs:

Intel i7-4790K @ 4.7 GHz cooled by Corsair H80i | ASUS Maximus VII Formula |  G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 2133 | EVGA 980 Superclocked (Fry) | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro OS Drive | WD Black HDD | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair Vengeance K70 | Logitech G502 Proteus Core

lol @ AMD 8350

OP, do you not have homeowners insurance? You can get most of that stuff replaced.

What would I do? Steer the fuck away from Alienware as they are way overpriced. Give us a budget, and someone will make you a pc part picker list.

The Alienware Alpha has the best price and hardware for what it is.

Well as the title said I had my basement flooded. I have $1500 USD to get myself some new gaming tech. Only things that remain are 4 Xbox One games, (Assassins Creed Unity, and Black Flag, along with Theif, and Destiny.) I am trying to decide what way to spend my money, and I would like some advice.

I've never had a true gaming pc and I'm intrigued about going that direction. I would also be interested in just re purchasing a Xbox One, and getting a TV. Although I know nothing about TVs at the moment. Maybe if I get a cheaper tv in the 500-600$ range I could also get myself an Alienware Alpha? What would you guys do? Please try to sway me one way or another. (disclaimer: I  am not the most knowledgeable about an optimal pc build and what a good monitor, mouse, or keyboard would cost.) 

were you away when it flooded?

cause otherwise id say it was dumb of you to not get your equipment outta the basement when you noticed it starting to flood

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

PC gaming doesn't cost too much to get into. Oh well, might as well pose you with a ~$700 build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($175.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB ITX COMPACT OC Video Card  ($172.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: Logitech G105 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival Wired Optical Mouse  ($52.99 @ Best Buy) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($79.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Xbox 360 controller from Amazon or something ($29.99)
Total: $793.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 23:02 EDT-0400
i5'll get you through any game
R9 285 is a steal right now
Got ya a decent mouse, a half-decent keyboard, and a headset. Those other people can recommend you.
Spared you with ~$100 for games on Steam. Could always go a bit cheaper if needed.

Or if you wanna get some games with ~$200 rather than 100 or get into TF2 there's this

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($56.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 285 2GB ITX COMPACT OC Video Card  ($172.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $701.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 23:09 EDT-0400

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

$1,500 could get you a solid PC and monitor/TV along with some decent peripheals.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

OP, do you not have homeowners insurance? You can get most of that stuff replaced.

The Alienware Alpha has the best price and hardware for what it is.

I do, and I checked if they would cover it. They used some bullshit excuses and refused to cover any of the tech. They covered the water damage on the house. I will be switching insurance.

I would worry about the basement more than the tech, but maybe I'm just crazy for having a liveable house as my top priority.

The basement has been repaired and measures have been taken to make sure none of this will ever happen again. This happened near 6 months ago.

I do, and I checked if they would cover it. They used some bullshit excuses and refused to cover any of the tech. They covered the water damage on the house. I will be switching insurance.

Wow shit like that makes me mad.

To hell with insurance companies.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

were you away when it flooded?

cause otherwise id say it was dumb of you to not get your equipment outta the basement when you noticed it starting to flood

I was on a business trip.

I was on a business trip.

ok good...then not your fault

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Pfft. Obviously you didn't read the super small 4pt font that says "We will not cover any expensive tech devices should something out of your control happen while you're on a business trip."

PC gaming doesn't cost too much to get into. Oh well, might as well pose you with a ~$700 build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($175.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.99 @ Directron) 
Total: $793.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 23:02 EDT-0400
i5'll get you through any game
R9 285 is a steal right now
Got ya a decent mouse, a half-decent keyboard, and a headset. Those other people can recommend you.
Spared you with ~$100 for games on Steam. Could always go a bit cheaper if needed.

Or if you wanna get some games with ~$200 rather than 100 or get into TF2 there's this

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($56.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $701.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-17 23:09 EDT-0400

And would this get me through games at 1080p with setting at medium or higher?

And would this get me through games at 1080p with setting at medium or higher?

Yes they will.

Btw Dan, what is "TF2?"

Team Fortress 2, Valve's online shooter game from October, 2007. You've never heard of it? I'm genuinely shocked. TF2 is Free to Play, but if you go that route, don't take "You're F2P, you're worthless" as an insult. F2P simply means you didn't spend money on the game. In fact, I personally feel I lost some of the fun when I started spending money in the game.

Either way, TF2 is great fun. I definitely recommend it.

Team Fortress 2, Valve's online shooter game from October, 2007. You've never heard of it? I'm genuinely shocked. TF2 is Free to Play, but if you go that route, don't take "You're F2P, you're worthless" as an insult. F2P simply means you didn't spend money on the game. In fact, I personally feel I lost some of the fun when I started spending money in the game.

Either way, TF2 is great fun. I definitely recommend it.

Oops, brain fart....  I have heard of it and I have seen it in some youtube videos. Although I have never played it as I have never pc gamed. 

Honestly, I would be happy that they're covering the damage to the house. A few quick notes, I live in New Jersey and I don't own the house, its my parents, I'm just a college student. Anyway forward with the story. Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene rolled through and did a serious number. Our house sits like 2 houses away from the flood zone which is marked by the 100 year flood average. My house sits at the 500 year flood mark, Irene rolled past my house like it was nothing. Here's where it gets all political and stuff. Our basement never flooded, but because other houses did, the sewers backed-up and so forth the sewer backed into our basement. We got 4 feet of sewage and everything was ruined. Blah Blah to make a long story slightly shorter the insurance said they wouldn't cover it because it was sewage and my parents didn't have the 'Sewage Rider'. There's nothing quite like insurance companies during a natural disaster. 

My two cents on your situation, unless you really want to play your remaining Xbox games, and you really like the Xbox One, I would get a PC. 1,500 can get you a pretty good setup and the LTT community is fantastic at getting you what you need.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad