10 Gigabit or Raid card?

dark_xzyph3r

Hey guys, should I get a raid card or 10 Gigabit ethernet card? I don't currently have a raid card and it will go in my Storage Server with 4 HDD's in it right now..

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

I'd say you could make a 10gbit card with a RAID 0 from the board, i don't really know if you could match 10gbit with a RAID 0 though

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Well, it depends on what you actually need at the moment. You won't be able to really take advantage of 10Gb transfers to and from the fileserver without the raid card, because a single drive will never fill the bandwidth available.

Well, it depends on what you actually need at the moment. You won't be able to really take advantage of 10Gb transfers to and from the fileserver without the raid card, because a single drive will never fill the bandwidth available.

10Gigabit

I'd say you could make a 10gbit card with a RAID 0 from the board, i don't really know if you could match 10gbit with a RAID 0 though

I have my Storage Server build in my sig now :P I would like for you guys to tell me now if I should get a 10 Gb card or Raid card.. Thanks

Pls Follow your own posts!      Chief Engineer for my School Studio, Own my own Home Studio also. I also do requests for Remixing songs too :D Storage Server: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks

I have my Storage Server build in my sig now :P I would like for you guys to tell me now if I should get a 10 Gb card or Raid card.. Thanks

You should get some SSD's if you really want to make 10gbit worth it

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

10Gbit in your nas will cost a lot more than the 10Gbit card to drop into your nas.

you'll need to set up a 10Gbit network, your clients need 10Gbit cards as well.

well... neither, because honestly if you're looking to increase redunancy on your machine with good error correction, you'd be better off using a zfs filesystem, and for that you need more memory on your server. RAID is no longer considered reliable.

The 10Gb NIC won't even be taken advantage of by the fastest SATA III SSD.

10gig.

If its not already your storage server should be running ZFS with its software raid. Much better and if one byte gets corrupted the rest of your server won't follow suit like it would with a raid card.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

What hardware/software are you running for your server?

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

well... neither, because honestly if you're looking to increase redunancy on your machine with good error correction, you'd be better off using a zfs filesystem, and for that you need more memory on your server. RAID is no longer considered reliable.

The 10Gb NIC won't even be taken advantage of by the fastest SATA III SSD.

Im not really looking for Redundancy because I have another server offsite with the same hardware.. I am running Raid 0 right now on my main and Raid 10 on my offsite..

What hardware/software are you running for your server?

Hardware: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks Software: Freenas, was using Ubuntu Server but was only getting 12MB/s to my computer instead of 120MB/s

10gig.

If its not already your storage server should be running ZFS with its software raid. Much better and if one byte gets corrupted the rest of your server won't follow suit like it would with a raid card.

Yeah I am running Raid 0 right now I might move over to ZFS if there is a raid 0 type option.. I know if one drive fails then I lose all data but I have an offsite backup so I have a second copy of my stuff and all my important stuff is in dropbox too..

Hardware: Mobo: Supermicro X8SIA-F Case: Some Supermicro 1U case Drives: 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drives, 1x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM CPU: Intel Xeon X3430 2.4GHz Ram: 2x Kingston ECC 2GB sticks Software: Freenas, was using Ubuntu Server but was only getting 12MB/s to my computer instead of 120MB/s

Sounds like it was improperly configured and really you should have way more memory than that for ZFS.  Ideally 1GB per usable TB

Striped vdevs should net you similar performance to raid-0

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Sounds like it was improperly configured and really you should have way more memory than that for ZFS.  Ideally 1GB per usable TB

Striped vdevs should net you similar performance to raid-0

I didn't know ZFS needs that kind of ram.. Thats kind of insane.. That means I need about 10 GB of ram in my server for it..

I didn't know ZFS needs that kind of ram.. Thats kind of insane.. That means I need about 10 GB of ram in my server for it..

Yeah, it's pretty crazy but it's all for the sake of data preservation.  My FreeNAS box is my only box with 16GB dimms for that very reason.

If your main is already running RAID 0, then you could potentially take advantage of a 10Gb configuration, but your main AND your storage server would have to have NICs, which is relatively costly. I'd get the RAID controller and configure it in RAID 10, if possible. Yes, you already have offsite backups, but restoring from offsite is a slow process.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If your main is already running RAID 0, then you could potentially take advantage of a 10Gb configuration, but your main AND your storage server would have to have NICs, which is relatively costly. I'd get the RAID controller and configure it in RAID 10, if possible. Yes, you already have offsite backups, but restoring from offsite is a slow process.

Not to mention 10Gb capable switches/routers.

Should I go for a couple of gigabit connections and bond them and use a gigabit switch instead of 10 gigabit?

Should I go for a couple of gigabit connections and bond them and use a gigabit switch instead of 10 gigabit?

I would say try to save up for 10gigabit. If the NAS is close to your PC, you could just direct attach the NAS to the PC with cables (no switch inbetween) and then use the existing 1gigabit system for internet. I think the switch has to support bonding as well (if I remember right) otherwise the bonding doesn't work so well.

I have a RAID card (Right now the hard drives are capable of 500MB/s sequential) and right now I'm limited to 80MB/s because my single Ethernet port on my PC taps out at that much (Of course it drops if I'm downloading / streaming anything). My server has two of them teamed together, but as far as I can tell, the team only uses one port for transferring data to my PC and internet on the other. So I'm saving up for 10gigabit myself.

I would say try to save up for 10gigabit. If the NAS is close to your PC, you could just direct attach the NAS to the PC with cables (no switch inbetween) and then use the existing 1gigabit system for internet. I think the switch has to support bonding as well (if I remember right) otherwise the bonding doesn't work so well.

I have a RAID card (Right now the hard drives are capable of 500MB/s sequential) and right now I'm limited to 80MB/s because my single Ethernet port on my PC taps out at that much (Of course it drops if I'm downloading / streaming anything). My server has two of them teamed together, but as far as I can tell, the team only uses one port for transferring data to my PC and internet on the other. So I'm saving up for 10gigabit myself.

Server side I get 600MB/s read write and my server is in the same rack as my computer so they are direct attached right now with only 1Gb for storage and 100Mb for internet so I was thinking just a 2 or 4 port Gbit card in the server and one in my main rig with link aggregation on the cards

What is your existing network switch, and what sort of budget are you looking at?

Which do you need more, the network access speed or expansion to your array?

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

What is your existing network switch, and what sort of budget are you looking at?

Which do you need more, the network access speed or expansion to your array?

I am not using a switch right now for the server, only a 24 port 100Mb switch for internet connections and direct attached 1Gb connection from my server to my computer with 100Mb for everybody else.. I need more speed probably because I do a lot of audio work on it as my storage array..

OK, that makes it signifcantly cheaper if you're only doing direct client to client. Probably just get a set of single port 10gbE Copper NIC's and some cat6a cable and you'll be good to go.

Gets much more expensive once you start factoring in switching.

You could try buying these, pretty sure they're priced wrong so you might get an awesome deal: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Port-10Gigabit-Ethernet-Card/dp/B0025B0FEI

They are SFP+ cards so you would need a DAC cable to connect them together which could be fairly pricey depending on length needed.

Otherwise you may be able to find some single port 10GbE copper cards second hand if those are too expensive.

But yeah for 10Gbit your cheapest would be 10GBASE-T copper, followed by SFP+ with DAC's (Direct Attached Cables), and most expensive being SFP+ fibre modules with fibre cables.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA