New Build Log - Whaler Quiets His Work Area... or Green Machine Update... or You Pick

Well, the time has come for changes. As some of you may know from some of my twitter posts and my blog, I have a nice, large desk out in the living area of the basement. Around this desk I have my gaming / folding system along with about 4 other systems I use. Pretty much everything else is stashed away in the crawl space.

The problem has been some of the machines are ageing and make more and more fan noise and my main system, I am running the fans pretty high to get some cool temps. I keep the GPU's in the low 40's and the CPU in the low 50's.

So, in an effort to quiet things up I am attacking this two fold (get it? :) ).

First, I am moving the gaming/folding system to a new case. I picked up a Thermaltake Core X2. As this sucker comes with native support for 3 x 360 radiators, this will be perfect, along with a 240 in the front. With room for push/pull on my thick rads, I should be able to keep the same temps, or even a little better, and only run the fans at low speeds with that much rad coverage. Yippee! :)

But, in order to FIT the bloody cube on my desk, I need to move things around, so I am converting all my physical boxes into VM's to run on my unRaid server. If you haven't checked out unRaid, you really should. ;)

Then I can pull out the computers, monitor, KVM, etc. Voila. Space. :)

So, as things go, I will update this... this build log will cover off some items on folding, watercooling and just in general how to screw everything up. Along the way I will get a mini review of the Core X2 done up (if I don't burn it down in the build process). The other thing pushing this, I noticed some black junk in my res. Probably residue from the rads so yea, need to drain it all, so perfect time to rip everything apart.

Ahh, fun times.... 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

this build log will cover off some items on folding, watercooling and just in general how to screw everything up

I will certainly be following this one! Cant wait to see it! I need to further expand my already extensive knowledge on how to screw everything up..

Nice, good luck man. Sounds like abit of a chore, but probably well worth it once you get it all sorted out.

I will be looking forward to new pictures.

I'll be the "pictures or it didn't happen" guy :P

Followed B)

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I cannot guarantee that I will not be inappropriately (or disproportionately) excited over pictures of the new build.

I love it when what is old becomes new again, especially with dedicated and faithful rigs.

This is the Craft of PC Building. Mastered. #AshlarPC

Going away this weekend, so not really getting started on anything, but did some test fitting and initial loop layout, sorting out where best for the rads to go, orientation. Which res to use. I have three spare ones, was hoping to use my smaller CTR red, but not real good mounting options, so probably going to go with a bitspower tub res, mounting horizontally. Probably going to use my Koolance PMP-500 on this one. If anyone has experience with it, please leave your comments. I also have the controller for it that Koolance makes.

Few pics of my night...

post-765-0-38142400-1442546494_thumb.jpg

post-765-0-99739700-1442546497_thumb.jpg

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Well, I am also working on a water cooled setup and I have already won at screwing everything up. Only 24gb of RAM shows up :( Brand new motherboard and ram.

did you try and re seat all tge ram ? If so take one stick out at a time and see which one it dead
Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

Look! I am an artist. :)

This was about the 4th rendition after figuring things out and throwing out plans....

post-765-0-44608000-1442874144_thumb.jpg

Loop plan.... go from the Bitspower res, to the koolance pump. From there into the bottom port on the UT60. This is being mounted on the side intake of the X2. Then from the upper port into a UT45 mounted on the front. From there into the left hand XSPX 360 mounted in the top and out to the SLI GPU's. Off to the CPU block then into the second XSPC 360 mounted in the top and finally... back into the res. Should be quite the trip. Since I have 4 rads and three blocks, good thing this pump has a crap load of head pressure. Most likely be the loudest thing in the case...

Just found this, just about to follow... Looking forward to it :D

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

Arrggg... my fans just came in and now... I have to delay this project, by a month or so. Personal issues here which I need to take care of before I take on a new project. If things change, maybe a bit earlier, but now looking at a November project...

Sorry gang... Will update once ready to move forward!

Arrggg... my fans just came in and now... I have to delay this project, by a month or so. Personal issues here which I need to take care of before I take on a new project. If things change, maybe a bit earlier, but now looking at a November project...

Sorry gang... Will update once ready to move forward!

Aww, that stinks! I hope you can get everything resolved!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok... so a bit of progress :) Finally settled into my new place and started working on this...

Is this a computer build, or just a random mess?? You decide. :)

kQFnY.jpg

Ok, so first off, needed to drain the loop and found some floaties in it. Hmm, I think I am going to spend some time giving the entire loop a serious clean. Fun Fun...

kQFn2.jpg

kQFnv.jpg

Here was me getting the rads initially installed...

kQFlQ.jpg

kQFms.jpg

Also, some good news. Thought I was going to have to use my bitspower tube res mounted horizontally. But, found a way to make this Primochill CTR res I have work, Lot smaller and easier to manage and can use my D5 pump, so less runs and fittings. And I can make it glow. :D

So that's it for now. Just a bit of progress on the new. Spent last night and tonight cleaning out the old case and washing a bunch of parts. I am using some soap and water to get a good clean done, but then a bunch of flushes will be done with distilled. Local store had it on sale this weekend. Got 4 x 4L jugs of it for $6.00. Sweet. :)

So the floaties in the loop was it alive?

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Lol, i like to call it a work in progress. Looks like it's going to be awesome.

I got to say, that is some nice fans you got there. But i kinda prefer the

traditional ones, you just can't mistake them for anything other than noctua.

So the floaties in the loop was it alive?

Who knows, I am no microbiologist. :) Just goop maybe from something... But washing and flushing everything, just in case.

pretty curious how the loop will turn out with 2 rads next to each other.should look pretty epic!

Right now the ports are on on opposing ends. Doing the loop up in my head, this might make for better/easier runs. I myself am no always about the shortest runs possible. I don't mind some long runs, as long as they make sense, which in turn shows off that fact that "HEY!, Ya, You! Notice! This is badass water cooled here!". :D

Once I start test fitting everything, things may change....

Lol, i like to call it a work in progress. Looks like it's going to be awesome.

I got to say, that is some nice fans you got there. But i kinda prefer the

traditional ones, you just can't mistake them for anything other than noctua.

Ya, I wasn't to picky on new versus old, as long as they Noctua NF ones. The top and front rads are all going to have a push or pull config with the newer industrial ones and the side mounted UT60 unit will have the traditional NF-F12's in a push/pull config.

So, overall 1,320mm of rad coverage with 14 fans. :)

-snip-

Really diggin' the APC UPS in that first pic. ;)

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.