Intel 750 vs Samsung 850 Pro / Evo

danielhowk

Read speed.

But since you have only smal data transfers the IOPS are more important than the sequencial speed.

But even the 90 000 IOPS of the EVO is waaaaay overkill for browsing. Don't get the Intel 750 for your usage despite of the higher IOPS.....

Nvme drives have slower boot times. Either Sara ssd will boot faster so for most cases the Samsung ones are better. But if you need large sequential speeds Intel is better

thanks so for gaming Samsung 850 Evo and PRO is pretty close  to a decimal. in that case i should go with evo because of the cost right ?

yep!!  the pro series are substantially more expensive than the regular EVO ones.  The good thing is that they're coming down in price.   The Pro series are also supposed to be more reliable do to MLC and it comes with 10yr warranty opposed to Evo's 5 which it's still a lot.

why do people get intel 750 if is not for normal consumer ? even though people cant tell the speed difference.

I'd say the 750 SSDs is more of an enthusiast price point for those who enjoy the latest and greatest hardware. It's equivalent to buying a Titan X because it is the best (minimal performance gains, extra $350) then putting them in 4 way SLI because it is the best possible solution (although it's not quite as extreme)

It is also for prosumers who will be working with huge 4K files on their editing rig that could have $5k worth of parts. They make have a storage bottleneck or just want to speed up the workflow a little as its speed increase will most likely be noticeable in file transfers over a gigabyte.

The 750 series SSDs are not consumer grade products, they are bleeding edge, enthusiast hardware with a price tag to match.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5

While the Intel 750 is, at times, overwhelmingly faster than any other commercially available SSD, that doesn't mean a whole lot in most games. If it shaved off a whole extra second from your game load times, that would be a relatively large difference.

For gaming, just get the biggest Samsung 850 EVO or Crucial BX100 you can afford. Capacity is more important than speed when it comes to gaming, because even a "slow" SSD is still orders of magnitude faster than a mechanical disk. Meanwhile you can always benefit from being able to install more of your games. For the price of a 400 GB Intel 750, you could get a 1 TB 850 EVO. And unless all you're doing is running storage benchmarks, you're not likely to see the speed difference.

yep!!  the pro series are substantially more expensive than the regular EVO ones.  The good thing is that they're coming down in price.   The Pro series are also supposed to be more reliable do to MLC and it comes with 10yr warranty opposed to Evo's 5 which it's still a lot.

whats is MLC ? 

I'd say the 750 SSDs is more of an enthusiast price point for those who enjoy the latest and greatest hardware. It's equivalent to buying a Titan X because it is the best (minimal performance gains, extra $350) then putting them in 4 way SLI because it is the best possible solution (although it's not quite as extreme)

It is also for prosumers who will be working with huge 4K files on their editing rig that could have $5k worth of parts. They make have a storage bottleneck or just want to speed up the workflow a little as its speed increase will most likely be noticeable in file transfers over a gigabyte.

The 750 series SSDs are not consumer grade products, they are bleeding edge, enthusiast hardware with a price tag to match.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5

While the Intel 750 is, at times, overwhelmingly faster than any other commercially available SSD, that doesn't mean a whole lot in most games. If it shaved off a whole extra second from your game load times, that would be a relatively large difference.

For gaming, just get the biggest Samsung 850 EVO or Crucial BX100 you can afford. Capacity is more important than speed when it comes to gaming, because even a "slow" SSD is still orders of magnitude faster than a mechanical disk. Meanwhile you can always benefit from being able to install more of your games. For the price of a 400 GB Intel 750, you could get a 1 TB 850 EVO. And unless all you're doing is running storage benchmarks, you're not likely to see the speed difference.

samsung 850evo sata vs samsung 850 evo msata

Whats the difference between those 2 ?

and is additional price worthy for the extra speed ?

http://forum.noteboo...vs-sata.758222/

the msata is going to be pricier ?

and is the msata faster than the regular sata connection ? 

I have an 850 Pro and recently borrowed a 750 from work.

For games there is almost no perceptible difference.

However for video editing and certain things in engine development the 750 was faster. However for general use i'd get a 1TB evo over all of them. (I use PROs simply because I do tend to write a lot of data (~1TB/month) to my SSD.

I have an 850 Pro and recently borrowed a 750 from work.

For games there is almost no perceptible difference.

However for video editing and certain things in engine development the 750 was faster. However for general use i'd get a 1TB evo over all of them. (I use PROs simply because I do tend to write a lot of data (~1TB/month) to my SSD.

should i buy the 850 pro or 850 evo ?

seems like 850 pro is faster in iops and write speed etc.

is it worth the extra money ?

850 Evo :). There isnt a huge real world difference. Pro is for people who need extra write endurance

You could also grab a 950Pro M.2 Drive if you want. (Coming in a couple weeks - and its FAST, but its only worthwhole if you have a Z170/X99 Rig or buy some PCI-E -> M.2 Adapter).

850 Evo :). There isnt a huge real world difference. Pro is for people who need extra write endurance

You could also grab a 950Pro M.2 Drive if you want. (Coming in a couple weeks - and its FAST, but its only worthwhole if you have a Z170/X99 Rig or buy some PCI-E -> M.2 Adapter).

do i need to connect to the m.2 port or the pci-e lanes?

The 850 evo is a standard SATA drive.

On X99 the M.2 is wired into the PCI-E Lanes

The 850 evo is a standard SATA drive.

On X99 the M.2 is wired into the PCI-E Lanes

i meant the samsung 950 pro ,do i need to connect to the m.2 port or the pci-e lanes?

whats is MLC ? 

samsung 850evo sata vs samsung 850 evo msata

Whats the difference between those 2 ?

and is additional price worthy for the extra speed ?

http://forum.noteboo...vs-sata.758222/

the msata is going to be pricier ?

and is the msata faster than the regular sata connection ? 

In electronics, a multi-level cell (MLC) is a memory element capable of storing more than a single bit of information.

MLC NAND flash is a flash memory technology using multiple levels per cell to allow more bits to be stored using the same number of transistors. In single-level cell (SLC) NAND flash technology, each cell can exist in one of two states, storing one bit of information per cell. Most MLC NAND flash memory has four possible states per cell, so it can store two bits of information per cell. This reduces the amount of margin separating the states and results in the possibility of more errors. Multi-level cells which are designed for low error rates are sometimes called enterprise MLC (eMLC).

is intel750 gonna upgrade their firmware eventually. to reduce the boot times ?

FIXED Today finally!

Just updated the firmware and boot time went down from 15 seconds from the moment I see the Windows Loading icon to 8 seconds!!

Instructions to update the firmware using the Intel Data Center Toolbox.

After installing the Intel SSD Data Center Toolbox:

You need to go to the folder where you installed isdct, by default it will be c:\isdct

Then follow the pictures to open an admin command prompt.

Intel+SSD+Data+Center+Tool+Firmware+Upda

When you then have the admin command prompt open and in C:\isdtc> you just need to input the correct command to flash it.

This is the command to list the Intel SSD's connected to your system: isdct show -intelssd

To update the firmware of an eligible SSD type: isdct load -intelssd 0

Updating the SSD with controller index "0" replace "0" with the eligible number shown with the "-list" command previously that should have shown that an update is available.

Reboot once the firmware update has been done.

Ah7uauY.png

Clevo P870DM-G Laptop - Intel Skylake i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + Advanced Copper Cooling Heatsink | 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM | 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI | Sound Blaster 3D Audio | 2 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0) + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0) | Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0 | 17.3" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Type with G-SYNC Technology | Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse | 660W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro

FIXED Today finally!

Just updated the firmware and boot time went down from 15 seconds from the moment I see the Windows Loading icon to 8 seconds!!

Instructions to update the firmware using the Intel Data Center Toolbox.

After installing the Intel SSD Data Center Toolbox:

You need to go to the folder where you installed isdct, by default it will be c:\isdct

Then follow the pictures to open an admin command prompt.

When you then have the admin command prompt open and in C:\isdtc> you just need to input the correct command to flash it.

This is the command to list the Intel SSD's connected to your system: isdct show -intelssd

To update the firmware of an eligible SSD type: isdct load -intelssd 0

Updating the SSD with controller index "0" replace "0" with the eligible number shown with the "-list" command previously that should have shown that an update is available.

Reboot once the firmware update has been done.

Ah7uauY.png

How much faster is it, please do not say "a lot faster" could we use some measurement for it :)

Also I expect the Samsung 950 Pro to be faster as it has a higher LQD than the Intel 750

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

How much faster is it, please do not say "a lot faster" could we use some measurement for it :)

Also I expect the Samsung 950 Pro to be faster as it has a higher LQD than the Intel 750

I just said, down from 15 seconds after BIOS POST from the rotating Windows Loading icon to the desktop to 8 seconds, that's 7 seconds faster.

Benchmarks are the same, they were already fast but something fishy was going on that made the boot time so slow. finally it's been fixed after many months of waiting.

Clevo P870DM-G Laptop - Intel Skylake i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + Advanced Copper Cooling Heatsink | 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM | 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI | Sound Blaster 3D Audio | 2 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (RAID 0) + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0) | Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0 | 17.3" 1920x1080 IPS FHD (16:9) LED Antiglare Matte Type with G-SYNC Technology | Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse | 660W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro

I just said, down from 15 seconds after BIOS POST from the rotating Windows Loading icon to the desktop to 8 seconds, that's 7 seconds faster.

Benchmarks are the same, they were already fast but something fishy was going on that made the boot time so slow. finally it's been fixed after many months of waiting.

So from BIOS to Desktop is how long and what was it before the update

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

So from BIOS to Desktop is how long and what was it before the update

Before the update:

BIOS = 10 seconds just to show the ASUS splash screen because I have 64GB of RAM and it takes time to perform tests and memory training

From Windows Splash Screen Logo to Desktop = 15 seconds (like a freakin' HDD not an SSD)

Total = 25 seconds

After the update:

BIOS = 10 seconds

From Windows Splash screen logo to desktop = 8 seconds

Total = 18 seconds

Before the update:

BIOS = 10 seconds just to show the ASUS splash screen because I have 64GB of RAM and it takes time to perform tests and memory training

From Windows Splash Screen Logo to Desktop = 15 seconds (like a freakin' HDD not an SSD)

Total = 25 seconds

After the update:

BIOS = 10 seconds

From Windows Splash screen logo to desktop = 8 seconds

Total = 18 seconds

So really, not that much faster, how did you get 25 seconds before when an official test was at like 46 seconds to load, thanks for the test though

It will be interesting to find out the Samsung 950 Pro boot time as it is a better SSD because of the higher LQD

So really, not that much faster, how did you get 25 seconds before when an official test was at like 46 seconds to load, thanks for the test though

It will be interesting to find out the Samsung 950 Pro boot time as it is a better SSD because of the higher LQD

well 8 seconds is a good improvement. Bear in mind that it will never boot as fast as a normal SATA SSD due to the time it takes for the PCIe controller initialization in the motherboard.

From the tests I've seen in online benchmarks, the Intel 750 PCIe SSD is the slowest of them all in boot time. The Samsung SM951 I think was the fastest.

Can't wait for a samsung SM951 NVMe, samsung 950 pro NVMe on rapid mode and Intel 750 benchmark video. this will be a fun watch.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 | Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 |

OS Drive: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 SSD | Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB

Depends what drive and what chipset you have.

im using asus z170 hero. zotac amp extremem 980ti is a 3 bay graphic card. im afraid that it block the 2nd pci-e lane for my future samsung 950 pro.

and not to mention samsung 950 pro stated that it require good air flow. worried that the zotac 980ti heats up the samsung 950 pro right underneath it.