Find results in...
marto

[Project] Direct- Complete

Posted · Original PosterOP

By the way you have awesome components to start with

but IMHO that pump is abit noisy and the head dump is abit high

I would go for a ddc/d5 pump res combo if I've more budget though

just saying ... ;)

I do have a D5 lying around but just really don't have the space to put it in which is the reasoning behind the EK pump. I'll most likely be running it at some lower speeds as it's not too big of a loop, It's also going to be mounted on foam adhesive pads to absorb any vibrations. I really would love to use a D5 because it's an awesome unit but I just don't have the luxury in this build unfortunately :(

[Project] Direct Build log- http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/45117-project-direct/#entry592575

Twitter- @MartoLTT

That sleeving is very very clean, it's very close to the plug, I like it.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown & Razer Naga 2014

That sleeving is very very clean, it's very close to the plug, I like it.

Cheers mate, It's heatshrinkless paracord so it actually sits inside of the plug abit. I find it looks alot cleaner than sleeving with heatshrink and is alot easier once you know what your doing :D

EDIT- also alot cheaper too, that 24 pin, 8 pin EPS, 6 pin PCI and 8 pin PCI connector used only about $13 worth of paracord :D

[Project] Direct Build log- http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/45117-project-direct/#entry592575

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Cheers mate, It's heatshrinkless paracord so it actually sits inside of the plug abit. I find it looks alot cleaner than sleeving with heatshrink and is alot easier once you know what your doing :D

I wonder why Linus doesn't use this, it looks a hell of a lot cleaner!

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown & Razer Naga 2014

Looking forward to your CPU steps. Thinking of doing this myself.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Alright guys! I finally finally got some decent progress underway today because I FINALLY received the majority of parts for the build!

Just a quick pic of some of the items I received today :)

aKxMZv1.jpg

The waterblock that I'll be using, I love the look of the Plexi Supremacy blocks!

R5SVN60.jpg

Everything hooked up to a spare power supply so I can install windows and check to see all the components are working alright :)

YxAvu2q.jpg

And finally some progress in terms of the plexi midplate, Everything is drilled out and ready to go, Just have to sand it back to get that smoked effect and mount it in there then were all ready to start putting components in there!

OmSddCR.jpg

I'll get stuck into sanding the plexi and finishing the case mods within the next few days, Once that's done I'll be able to start mounting hardware in there to test fit it all without having to worry about squeezing the midplate in and out of the case anymore :) I'm also super keen to get some of the wiring through the midplate to see how it looks! :D

I'm also off today to get some razors so I can delid this 4770k :) and mount the CPU block in place on the die!

Anyways, that's all I have for now! Keep watching this space as I'll be doing a fair bit from here on in!

Twitter- @MartoLTT

So minor setback guys, I was checking out the the precisemount kit and thought it looked suspiciously indifferent from the regular mounting screws, when I compared the two it turns out they were in fact just replacement posts for the originals, I emailed the guys I ordered the kit from and they no longer have any more direct on die kits.

I am however still invested in doing direct on die cooling so I'm working on a way to still do this, I was thinking along the lines of some washers under the springs on each post to compensate for the reduced height of the CPU without the IHS. I'll have to have a think about it for a bit before I decide on anything but.

Twitter- @MartoLTT

So minor setback guys, I was checking out the the precisemount kit and thought it looked suspiciously indifferent from the regular mounting screws, when I compared the two it turns out they were in fact just replacement posts for the originals, I emailed the guys I ordered the kit from and they no longer have any more direct on die kits.

I am however still invested in doing direct on die cooling so I'm working on a way to still do this, I was thinking along the lines of some washers under the springs on each post to compensate for the reduced height of the CPU without the IHS. I'll have to have a think about it for a bit before I decide on anything but.

Can't you find a precisemount kit from somewhere else like the EK store (http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html)? As others have said earlier putting pressure directly on the die is quite risky especially since you have no precise way to stop yourself from putting too little or too much pressure, but I have seen some amazing results from it so I wish you luck :P. Also, no worries about oxidation affecting performance but I would have gone nickel just to avoid how ugly it looks.

Can't you find a precisemount kit from somewhere else like the EK store (http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-supremacy-precisemount-add-on-naked-ivy.html)? As others have said earlier putting pressure directly on the die is quite risky especially since you have no precise way to stop yourself from putting too little or too much pressure, but I have seen some amazing results from it so I wish you luck :P. Also, no worries about oxidation affecting performance but I would have gone nickel just to avoid how ugly it looks.

The EK store was actually one of the first places I looked and they don't have any left and also aren't manufacturing any more. I was trying to chase one up for a few months before starting this build so I doubt I'll be able to obtain one.

I think if I can take the height of the IHS and compensate for the difference with it removed with washers then I should in theory be achieving the same effect as the direct on die kit. I had a bit of a look around and have seen people do this with raystorm blocks with good results and no damage to the CPU die. If I also put in slightly thinner washers than the IHS then I should get less pressure on the CPU die which will also reduce the chance of damage. That's just my theory on it but.

As for the block, I've always loved the look of the plexi/copper block so I think I'll stick with it. I pretty regularly drain and clean my loop so I can always take the block off and clean it each time to avoid staining the CPU as much as I can :)

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Alright! Delidding time :) I went the razer method as I didn't really feel like putting my CPU in a vice and bashing it with a mallet :) the whole process was extremely easy. I made up for the lack proper mounting equipment for bare die cooling by using rubber washers on the mounting posts to compensate for the lower height of the overall assembly. The IHS on the Haswell chips was almost exactly 3mm in height, So I used a 1mm thick washer on the top and bottom of the springs in each corner, I didn't go the full 3mm because I didn't want an intense amount of pressure on the die, so 2mm seemed like a good middle ground in terms of having enough pressure to make good contact with the cooler while still leaving the die intact :) I also hooked it all up and let the system quickly boot without cooling and I got to the windows desktop no worries then shut her down before she got to hot. So everything is good and ready to go! :D

I've also made abit of headway with the plexi midplate and gave it a rough sanding. I need to go back and make the CPU cutout slightly wider to accomodate the EK backplate which is quite thick. I've also been working on possible lighting effects for it. But none so far that have really looked very good. I've been sanding for most of the day to get it looking right and hopefully it will be all done soon enough! :D

LguEqn9.jpg

I didn't get nearly as many photos as I wanted to of the actual delidding process and the bare die afterwards, I didn't even take a photo of the die after I fully cleaned it off. I was abit excited about the whole process. Enjoy anyways though!

The unsuspecting victim ;)

chwLHAN.jpg

Mid process

YDJBDPL.jpg

IHS removed and ready for cleaning :)

kKTliCy.jpg

Quick clean :)

oDUvprW.jpg

And a quick shot of the EK block sitting directly on the die :)

qPebUy5.jpg

Anyways, That's all I got so far guys. I'll be working on my motherboard tray cuts and starting on the side panel window as soon as I get my dremmel blades in the mail and will finish sanding the plexi plate over the next few days. After that it's just a case of assembling everything and waiting on the acrylic tubing to come so I can plumb this thing up :D

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Alright, another minor update. I've nearly finished sanding the plexi plate and widened the CPU cutout and I'm pretty happy with the end result :) I've also finally found a spot where the lighting gives out a much more even glow across the plate and have settled on this position. There's also got a led strip on the inside of the case between where the front fan mounts and the side panel go just to throw some light over the inside of the case which may be accompanied by another strip at the bottom of the case if the front strips aren't bright enough :) 

I also just received my fan splitter pcb which will power the 3 fans and 2 (possibly 3) led strips and I'm currently working on a mounting position for that on the back of the motherboard tray :)

This photo has only the led strip behind the plexi plate turned on, It looks much more intense in photos. The front radiator will also cover most of this rear lighting so hopefully that keeps it all looking nice :)

WSpNc2q.jpg

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Awesome, let us know how your temps are with the direct mount!  I've thought about doing this myself, just because Intel's policy of using a heatspreader is retarded in the first place.  I've repasted laptops dozens of times without issues; it doesn't make any sense that they don't use on-die cooling on desktops.

So I mounted the front 240mm radiator into place today so see how it fits and boy is it a tight fit! I had to widen the front fan holes so I could move the fans up 1mm or so and get the radiator in there.

I also started playing around with lighting again a little and put the 30cm strip in the front of the case as well as the strip in the back iluminating the plexi up and so far I'm very pleased! I may still put a light in down the bottom as well just to throw more light into the back of the case :)

KPkkefs.jpg

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Righto. Last update for at least the weekend :)

I finially finished the plexi plate and have gotten around to threading the cables through it and sitting it in place ready for the motherboard tray to be completed. Each cable that passes through from the back of the case into the main compartment has it's own hole to travel through, This should allow me to keep my cables in a nice grouping and make things look nice and neat. The two extra holes next to the PCI connectors are for the extra 2 cables that will run through when I get either a 9970 or 780 later on in the year, At the moment the 7870 that's going in will only need 2 6 pin connectors so thats all I bothered to thread through :DG4eohPI.jpg

ZtIp2Us.jpg

Hopefully I'll recieve my dremmels cutting disks early next week so I can start on the motherboard tray and the side panel window :) Until then I can't really do anything more

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Damn, great job on deliding the CPU. +2 points from me to you sir!

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Awesome, let us know how your temps are with the direct mount!  I've thought about doing this myself, just because Intel's policy of using a heatspreader is retarded in the first place.  I've repasted laptops dozens of times without issues; it doesn't make any sense that they don't use on-die cooling on desktops.

Sure thing :) I'm more so aiming to be able to push clock speeds further than usual instead of going for straight up low temps with a mild at best OC like what some of the direct on die builds I've seen before have done. I'll have to wait and see how good of an overclocker this chip is first but I suppose. I'll be posting pictures and screenshots all along the way but :D

Damn, great job on deliding the CPU. +2 points from me to you sir!

Thanks mate! It's actually super easy, admittedly scary as all hell putting the block on but :)

Twitter- @MartoLTT

The EK store was actually one of the first places I looked and they don't have any left and also aren't manufacturing any more. I was trying to chase one up for a few months before starting this build so I doubt I'll be able to obtain one.

I think if I can take the height of the IHS and compensate for the difference with it removed with washers then I should in theory be achieving the same effect as the direct on die kit. I had a bit of a look around and have seen people do this with raystorm blocks with good results and no damage to the CPU die. If I also put in slightly thinner washers than the IHS then I should get less pressure on the CPU die which will also reduce the chance of damage. That's just my theory on it but.

As for the block, I've always loved the look of the plexi/copper block so I think I'll stick with it. I pretty regularly drain and clean my loop so I can always take the block off and clean it each time to avoid staining the CPU as much as I can :)

not sure if you already looked, but performance pcs has it on their website, don't know if they actually have it in stock though...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=37453

if you really wanted to go way far above and beyond for us, you'd get temp results delidded with IHS and naked mount at the same clocks, then see how much further you can push with the naked mount over regular delid...  :D

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | 4770k 4.6GHz | Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

not sure if you already looked, but performance pcs has it on their website, don't know if they actually have it in stock though...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=37453

if you really wanted to go way far above and beyond for us, you'd get temp results delidded with IHS and naked mount at the same clocks, then see how much further you can push with the naked mount over regular delid...  :D

When I tried them they didn't have any in stock unfortunately. I think I've found a good enough sollution with the washers though :) Thanks for the help though!

And I may actually do that now that you mention it! It would be pretty interesting to seee the difference in the results :D

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Alright guys! Progress!

I finally got around to mounting the motherboard tray back in there and decided to start assembling this build. The cables still need to be trained a little bit so they sit right, But all the components are in there, It's just waiting for the primochill acrylic tubing to arrive so I can start plumbing this bad boy up :) In the meantime I'll be starting on this side panel window for the build :)

tWSgVuP.jpg

Kyo2FoH.jpg

XfVAV9k.jpg

0eIP8fe.jpg

Twitter- @MartoLTT

No beige case for this one or is it for another project?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

No beige case for this one or is it for another project?

Another project mate :)

I'm actually just about to cut into the floor so I can get a 240mm rad down the bottom, then paint the interior :) I've got a 3820 and a 2011 socket AsRock board lying around so I was thinking a black and white theme inside for a cool little sleeper gaming pc, Or put my A10 in there and make it into a file server/htpc :) Still haven't made up my mind on that yet. Got big ideas! Gotta finish this rig first but :P

Twitter- @MartoLTT

Another project mate :)

I'm actually just about to cut into the floor so I can get a 240mm rad down the bottom, then paint the interior :) I've got a 3820 and a 2011 socket AsRock board lying around so I was thinking a black and white theme inside for a cool little sleeper gaming pc, Or put my A10 in there and make it into a file server/htpc :) Still haven't made up my mind on that yet. Got big ideas! Gotta finish this rig first but :P

Nice! I look forward to seeing what you can do with it :D

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Yeah I got that part :) I just want to do something abit unique and interesting, I've delidded a 3570k before and got outstanding results, But this time around I want to run direct on die to see how much further I can push the CPU :D

With cooling like that your main problem would be voltage

Well you already did it so whatever

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

With cooling like that your main problem would be voltage

Yeah I know, I'm still deciding what voltage I'm going to aim for, I'll just stick to that voltage and push the multiplier as much as I can with it I suppose, I'm thinking about 1.4-1.42ish will be the limit I'ld be comfortable pushing it too then just see what OC I can hit with that. I also chose the low voltage memory kit so that interferes less with my OC, however small of a difference that may make.

I still haven't run the dellided CPU for anything more than just a quick boot to make sure it was still running well so I've no idea if it's going to be a decent overclocker or not. If I can't push a crazy high OC I might just sit it at 4.5Ghz and go for super low temps. Time will tell though :D

Twitter- @MartoLTT