Open Letter to Linus Media Group

coolfreak

Dennis got hired as an editor, not just so that they have someone to be racist against.

When I look at the moving vlogs I see a bunch of friends having fun and making jokes. I think you are taking things too seriously.

True, but I'm sure if you were just a fly on the wall and a group of friends walked past, saying the n word to an african american person in the group, that wouldn't be ok (even if it is a joke)

Why is racism towards dennis ok but yet towards other minorities not ok? In my workplace if I said some of those things, I'd be fired pretty fucking quickly and I'd be in a cell by the end of the day.

As an asian those jokes they made weren't offensive imo, in fact asians love insulting or challenging each other but in the end we treat each other like family

Dennis seems like that guy that will change the mood a little bit in the office with his personality (especially when paired up with NickVanBerkel)

So let me get this straight, Dennis is being abused/racially attacked by others at his work place? I missed that, i saw a group of fellas who work together interacting with humor, that isn't abuse. I doubt Berkel hates anyone there, he is just the guy in a group who is the comedian in a group. If Berkel hates Dennis it surely isn't due to racism as brandon, Ed and the one female i keep seeing among them, linus's wife are all of Asian decent.

So when they make fun of the tall fella, that means they hate him too because of his ethnicity.

That is like anyone white saying black people like chicken, omg he is a racist. I am black and i love chicken, to me that is a fact.

Come on relax.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I already apologize for my semi-bad English.

Nothing against Dennis, feel sorry for him for what is probably his first time in Canada, from Taiwan. Only to experience the slight hand of clever racism/abuse.

That's not true. Berkels once said that Dennis spent an exchange year (or something similar) in Canada some time in college, which was confirmed by Dennis himself. Also, he knows English pretty well, just can't speak it.

But aside from that, I basically agree with your opinion. LMG is just not creating videos you watch for it's content anymore. All you get is a bad joke every now and then, which I totally wouldnt mind, if the rest of the video wasn't Linus screaming into the camera with his high pitch voice. It just makes the videos seem like a joke to me.

Their new office just doesn't seem to fit their company character with it's professional styling, while they are still only uploading these kinds of videos.

Also the like and subscribe begging recently...

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

As an asian those jokes they made weren't offensive imo, in fact asians love insulting or challenging each other but in the end we treat each other like family

Dennis seems like that guy that will change the mood a little bit in the office with his personality (especially when paired up with NickVanBerkel)

Dennis makes his own jokes too. And in my personal experiences in life, Asians are by far the most racist people I've ever met.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

True, but I'm sure if you were just a fly on the wall and a group of friends walked past, saying the n word to an african american person in the group, that wouldn't be ok (even if it is a joke)

Why is racism towards dennis ok but yet towards other minorities not ok? In my workplace if I said some of those things, I'd be fired pretty fucking quickly and I'd be in a cell by the end of the day.

Because LMG isn't your everyday workplace. I'm they treat each other as friends, just check Nick van's and Dennis's Instagram they are like BFF.

That's not true. Berkels once said that Dennis spent an exchange year (or something similar) in Canada some time in college, which was confirmed by Dennis himself. Also, he knows English pretty well, just can't speak it.

But aside from that, I basically agree with your opinion. LMG is just not creating videos you watch for it's content anymore. All you get is a bad joke every now and then, which I totally wouldnt mind, if the rest of the video wasn't Linus screaming into the camera with his high pitch voice. It just makes the videos seem like a joke to me.
Their new office just doesn't seem to fit their company character with it's professional styling, while they are still only uploading these kinds of videos.

They are trying to settle in so don't expect the same quality.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I don't think it was wise to hire someone who's English isn't their first language.

He does what they need him to do perfectly, so, following YOUR advice would be discrimination.

I've watched a live stream on Periscope where Dennis was hanging at Berkel's apartment whilst he cooked a meal. They are friends. What you are watching is not people who dislike each other, expressing as such. They are friends. Dennis moved after working for LMG for quite some time remotely for them in Taiwan; he wouldn't have done so if he didn't want to.

You're reading far, far too deeply into something which isn't there to be read. Relax.

Daily video's: check

Still getting set up: check

I'm sure once the dust settles they will find their footing again, cut them some slack. At least they have some dedicated space to do proper reviews and work now.

I really don't think someone who's married to an asian with two kids would actually hire an asian guy just to make fun of him... come on OP, get some common sense...

Obviously if you made that kind of post you are sensitive to that kind of thing, so i'll be taking a guess here and say you probably experienced the same situation, or are experiencing it currently

maybe you should work on problems affecting your life first don't you think ?

Wait, in which episode did they go around calling Dennis racial slurs?

And I happen to think that "saying the n word" to a black person is okay if they are friends and the black person is okay with it.

Not everyone will agree but I think words are only as bad as the intention behind them is.

Also, he knows English pretty well, just can't speak it.

His English seems fine to me. It probably has more to do with being a bit camera shy than not knowing the language.

Allow me to paraphrase something Linus said not too long ago.

"All these people that work for the company are people I trust."

If he didn't trust Dennis with his work, he wouldn't be working at Linus Media Group much longer.

In fact, I'm just gonna not bother rationalising this letter, as it's full of inaccuracies and nonsense.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Ok, either I'm tired or OP had two good points and mixed them with lot of nonsense. What is your point exactly? To say that LMG shouldn't joke about racism? Or to say that they aren't very well made as company? Or that hiring Dennis was bad idea?

I agree on point that LMG shouldn't make racist or close to racist jokes. Nor they should do many other things which are trouble. (Other thing include using phone while driving, making fun of all kinds of cheating etc.) The vlog you refer wasn't very good on those parts. There were funny, intelligent jokes, but I think Berkel went bit over with his.

As for how well they are made as company. You really can't make any judgements based on just videos. You don't know anything that goes behind behind-the-scenes.

And should you hire someone with lacking language if they are otherwise qualified? Hell yea! Not doing so would be discrimination.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1) they are friends, if he wants them to stop he can say so and they will stop

2) he chose to work in this company knowing what he was getting into, so he obviously is not bothered

3) just because you have a problem doesnt mean he does too, stop making decisions for others based on your sensitive beliefs

4) LMG will not read 99% of topics posted on LTT forum, if you have a problem contact they company email

5) stop getting offended for no reason, go back to tumblr

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As someone who has lived and worked in a foreign country before, from what I've seen anyway, the LMG type of environment is MUCH more preferable than ones where people tip-toe around you. Joking and poking fun of one another not only creates an open work environment, it also helps builds friendships. I only wish the people at the place I worked felt comfortable enough to joke about my accent and American-ness. 

However, if you're offended, perhaps you just shouldn't watch...

1) they are friends, if he wants them to stop he can say so and they will stop

2) he chose to work in this company knowing what he was getting into, so he obviously is not bothered

3) just because you have a problem doesnt mean he does too, stop making decisions for others based on your sensitive beliefs

4) LMG will not read 99% of topics posted on LTT forum, if you have a problem contact they company email

5) stop getting offended for no reason, go back to tumblr

I'm bothered how offended you are to OP for having strong opinion.

1) Linus has said in videos multiple times that he doesn't want racist jokes around. Which makes whole situation worse as if that comment is meant as joke, its bad. And if they don't follow that "order", its worse.

2) Kinda agree but you don't always know everything you will be having to deal with when signing contract. Workplace bullying is a thing.

3) Agree but kinda offensive way to say it.

4) Email or PM or tagging would be best. This one will be forgotten in few days.

5) Completely not needed here. You go there. We don't need that kind of attitude in forums.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I must agree that this letter is a bit overwhelming. However there are some things that LMG should seriously consider. I noticed that they never state on their videos, that this it was meant to be a joke or whatever. 

From a visitor's point of view this can mean pure mobbing. In which case LMG could get seriously burned by the authorities. Unless the LMG employees signed some form of agreement that this kind of content is displayed with their consent.

This is a pure heads up from someone who works in a company and knows how shit goes down.

Everythin

Everything here is highly irrelevant and stupid. Is Dennis complaining? No, so kindly shut your mouth.

OP is being racist by automatically assuming that LMG is discriminating him and making jokes against his will based on a few seconds of video

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what you see in those videos is not racism

they are stereotypical jokes, made between friends, and no offense taken

stereotypical jokes =/= racism

especially if both people on either end are fine with it

If jokes make person with normal sense of humor feel uncomfortable, they are too much. They might be ok as inside jokes where everyone knows the limits and will get back at some point. But what is shown in last vlog released (idk if out in YT yet) might be inside joke, but sounds more like Berkel acting as Dennis isn't at his level. Remember that I'm fine with all things that happened on videos up until that one. And what I've seen in WAN show and CSF videos.

Anyway, what I said about you being offensive in your post, point 5) to be exact, still stands.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

OP you have no idea what LMG functions like outside of videos. Dennis is a big boy, if he doesnt like the treatment im sure he knows he can quit the job, being that he hasnt im sure he realizes that hes just getting a playful ribbing and nothing more and hes not ree of it himself with his "white people cant read this" shirt, but im sure he did it cause again he knows nothing like that is meant to be taken serious, and he seems to be having fun esp in the later videos.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

If jokes make person with normal sense of humor feel uncomfortable, they are too much. They might be ok as inside jokes where everyone knows the limits and will get back at some point. But what is shown in last vlog released (idk if out in YT yet) might be inside joke, but sounds more like Berkel acting as Dennis isn't at his level. Remember that I'm fine with all things that happened on videos up until that one. And what I've seen in WAN show and CSF videos.

Anyway, what I said about you being offensive in your post, point 5) to be exact, still stands.

again, you are making assumptions based on a few seconds of video posted on youtube

you have no idea how many dozens of hours these guys have spent together as friends

linus specifically hand chooses people who have the same type of fun and humour as the other guys at LMG

he wouldnt have chosen dennis if he would get offended every time those guys have some fun

so by making the assumption that Dennis should be offended from a few jokes from his friends, OP is being racist, and you are too if you support his opinion

obviously dennis can take a joke that you guys cant

Spoiler

Open Letter to Linus Media Group;

So am not sure what is going on over at Linus Media Group, their Mission statement. Their not much of a company, 

Picking up the pieces of whats wrong your company, for examining. I don't think it was wise to hire someone who's English isn't their first language. Doing so you have proven you don't really have a framework for integrating new hires from the places they come from.

He is not the only one whose English needs to be worked on a bit. *cough cough*