Backup batteries?

jayctech
Go to solution Solved by W-L,

So just to clarify, you'd recommend I'd get the APC between the 2 I suggested?

Yeah APC is a slightly higher quality from what I've heard from others who have had some issues with the Cyberpower ones, I've used APC ones myself for a long while now and they still work great.

Been dealing with a lot of power cuts recently (caused by incompetent people, not weather) and getting fed up with it both disrupting work and possibly damaging my computer so I've started looking into backup power supplies.

So here are my questions for the more knowledgeable:

• Are these good value in general for individuals/personal machines?
  • What is the sort of "standard" duration I should expect?
  • What sort of price range should I expect?
  • Any good brands/names to look for specifically?
  • Form factor? I'd ideally like smaller but I recognise this will decrease its capacity.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

Oh and I'm in the UK so UK sources/currency would be appreciated.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Thoughts on these?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cyberpower-EX850E-UK-Series-Uninteruptible-Supply/dp/B00DI2ISL0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_23?ie=UTF8&refRID=1KT97RVW5ZXB2TZAWWH2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-BE700G-UK-Interface-Power-Saving-Back-UPS/dp/B002RXED6A/ref=pd_bxgy_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=03MT66TDSCN229DWMFWK

-SNIP-

What are you trying to power and do you have an approx power draw or system specs to determine what size of battery backup you need. I would recommend an APC unit the one you have selected is good for 700VA or 405W the duration of most UPS's though at full load is only a few minutes.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE700G-UK&total_watts=200

What are you trying to power and do you have an approx power draw or system specs to determine what size of battery backup you need. I would recommend an APC unit the one you have selected is good for 700VA or 405W the duration of most UPS's though at full load is only a few minutes.

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BE700G-UK&total_watts=200

Thanks I'll take a look.

As for my system, it's the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£169.28 @ Amazon UK)

Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (£50.99 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (£49.07 @ Aria PC)

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£65.15 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£32.40 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (£265.99 @ Aria PC)

Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case (£51.00 @ Scan.co.uk)

Power Supply: Silverstone 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£67.80 @ Scan.co.uk)

Total: £339.07

And I guess I'd like at least 1 monitor up too. Ideally 2.

Not sure if I've done it right but its recommendations are several hundred pounds. Is this realistically what I should be looking at and the ones I suggested are just no good?

-SNIP-

You should be good since at full load your system should draw a max of ~375W but if your also plugging in a lot of other devices like networking equipment and peripherals it might be a good choice to go one step up to something a little bit larger.

You should be good since at full load your system should draw a max of ~375W but if your also plugging in a lot of other devices like networking equipment and peripherals it might be a good choice to go one step up to something a little bit larger.

Yeah APC is a slightly higher quality from what I've heard from others who have had some issues with the Cyberpower ones, I've used APC ones myself for a long while now and they still work great.

Ah okay. Tyvm for your advice.