The “Big 3” Review - the original hi-fi headphone trio.

post-7799-0-92307800-1376267801.png

Background

Back in the day, before I cared about audio, and before most people moved from speakers to those tiny apple earbuds, these were the most expensive standard dynamic-driver headphones you could buy.  It was a much smaller, much saner, market that was for the very few people who actually needed headphones to record, mix, and master musical tracks.  They served a very different consumer and had very different use cases than modern audiophile headphones.

OK, there are some issues with calling that an image of the “big 3” EXACTLY.  Technically, the much older vintage AKG K501 is the original member, the original DT880 250 Ohm came out five years before my DT990, and the Sennhesier HD580 came out first, but the sound is still very much the same for all 3 respectively, with perhaps the exception of the DT990 being a bit more “exaggerated” on the low and high ends.

I thought this review might be a good idea, since many people ask about these three in one of their many versions quite often on the forums.  Instead of my usual review, since there are so many already, however, I’ll try to answer some of the more pressing questions about them.

So, do they really sound like that?

Well, first of all, one of the many fun myths about these headphones tend to be how they sound.  The Sennheiser HD600/650 is a legendary piece of flame material on the forum head-fi, so much so that it’s got its own emoticon. 

Sennheiser_HD580600650_Photo_Deadhorse.g

The image depicts one headphone user hitting an hd600 user depicted as a “dead horse” for using the “veiled” HD600 (the 650 wasn’t out yet).  If you’re wondering what they’re referring to by “veiled”, the notion was the highs of the headphone were “rolled off” or quieter somehow than the rest of the headphone’s frequency response.  There is some truth to this notion, but it is very exaggerated by some very poorly matched equipment.  Sennheiser took a very “the engineer should hear it like it will sound to everyone else” design methodology with their headphone, and tried to make them sound like speakers.  I don’t, however, buy the notion that this headphone is “slow” or something.  In fact all three headphones sound quite similar, and they should, they were designed for the same purpose.

The AKG K702 and its predecessors has been the victim of a lot of lot of attacks on its lack of bass response.  It’s definitely the most different sounding of the three, and the easiest signature to pick out.  The way you do it is listen for the extreme bass EXTENSION of this headphone and the lack of the bloom effect, that rattling you usually get from a subwoofer.  What’s really exaggerated on this headphone is the high end response, which is directly in your face.  AKG’s decision was to make the headphone “analytical” or easy for the user to pick out specific problems and imperfections in their tracks.  In fact, it says so right on the side of the box, “Professional Use: Mixing, Mastering, Homerecording”.  It’s also definitely the most detailed of the three, and generally, one of the most detailed headphones period.  Also, I don’t even believe in burn-in, but this headphone definitely changed in 100 hours of use.  Much more bass and a crazy high end response.

The Beyers don’t get a lot of accolades in the sound category, but they don’t get a lot of knocks either.  To me, it’s the most “fun” sound.  The bass has a lot of bloom, and the highs are pronounced.  It’s a nice effect for just general listening, and Beyer took a pretty safe approach to the overall design.  Very functional and simple.  Very German.  The main complaints with the DT990 specifically has been about ... that S word in the high end and, strangely, an assertion they have TOO MUCH bass response (what!?!?!?).  To clear this up, the high end is only exaggerated on poorly recorded tracks and when used with a poorly matched amp with these headphones.  The mid range IS recessed, however, but not all that much.  The DT990 was definitely designed for the American market, and I must say it's a big success, sonically.  Now if they could make them look non-industrial, and still sound like that .... well, a man can dream, right?

So I hear that they break?

Now, here’s a real problem for a change.  You’d think if you bought something that was worth this much, they’d use metal or something to make sure it doesn’t break as easily.  In some ways, all three are very sturdy, especially around the earcups.  The AKGs use carbon fiber which is REALLY tough, the Sennheisers and Beyers use pretty tough plastic.  However, for two of them, the part that should be the sturdiest, and that takes the most abuse, the headband, is not quite tough enough.  The Sennheisers use the same plastic on the headband, and continuous flexing will eventually cause it to break over time.  It’s not a big deal unless you hamfist them a bunch, but frankly pro headphones should be built a bit more sturdy.

The old AKG headbands (especially the K240!) were much better and some older model’s still have functioning headbands 20 years later, but the new K6 and K7 models all have a nagging design flaw in the headband.  It’s actually got “two” headbands according to the engineer, who informed me when I called AKG USA (and actually got an engineer who offered to fix them if I sent them back!) that the “inner headband” breaks a lot.  The “gimbal suspension system” that makes the headband auto adjust has a small piece of plastic with a slot in the center that is supposed to guide the headband in the proper direction.  The very slim piece of plastic eventually breaks, and then the headband’s ridges begin to dig into your scalp when the headband doesn’t contact it at the proper angle.  Properly fixing them would require special punch tools that normal people don't have.  I’ve fixed mine for good the dirty way with a piece of foam and the Canadian handyman’s secret weapon, duct tape.  I hope that the K712 finally addresses this problem, but they seem much like the old version, so I’m not holding my breath.

The Beyers break the mold by not breaking the mold.  There’s nothing special here.  It’s a simple metal headband with clicking adjustment and two metal forks that connect everything together with screws.  Note I said “metal”.  The headband is ONE piece of METAL, the forks are both ONE piece of METAL.  The only plastic piece on the headband is the clip that holds the headband to the forks. The headband cushion is a wraparound Snap-On piece on the pros and just a part of the headband on the premiums. These are standard and replaceable and can be ordered off Beyer’s site.  Two screws to screw in and you’re back in business.  Thanks to this, many of these headphones have been going for 15+ years.

So which one is the best?

Good question.  I think what I should really pose is, if you could only keep one headphone, which one would you keep?  Personally, I’d keep my AKG K702, as it’s pretty much the most interesting headphone sound I’ve ever heard.  If I wanted a pair that would last, it would definitely be my Beyers.  My Sennheisers are a pretty all around nice performer as well.  Honestly, any of these three pairs are about as good as it ever got with headphones.  If you can’t make up your mind though, I’ll just make like Kai from DigitalRev TV and say “Get the Nikon Beyers”.

And then the HD800 came out.....

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Wow I am impressed with the 15+ years. I am very happy with my ATH M-50's!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Wow I am impressed with the 15+ years. I am very happy with my ATH M-50's!

It's a pro DJ/Studio headphone and it's made to take studio abuse.  It looks good and sounds good too.  No wonder it's the official headphone of /g/. 

It's definitely not as fancy as these three though.  Not that you would - or should - care.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Haha yeah!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

ATH-M50 master race rolling in.....

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

ATH-M50 master race rolling in.....

*I roll in with my fake ath m50s*

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

*I roll in with my fake ath m50s*

didnt even know they made those. You shoulda got ATH-M30s. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

didnt even know they made those. You shoulda got ATH-M30s. 

I was viciously conned. Filed a complaint thingy with paypal and they couldnt contact the guy. I essentially got them for free in the end :P They sounded terrible before they broke anyway

@bchampion96 you should consider getting them!

Getting what? Some real ones?

Yes! I love my pair, they are great, for everything including travel!

Yes! I love my pair, they are great, for everything including travel!

Well they sure were comfortable :P Right now I'm throwing all my money at upgrading my rig. I need to get a third cable set for my shure se215s first. Then I'm planning to put a modmic on them for lolz. If I do get the money for over ear headphones, I've got my eye on AKG K550s. More expensive but more awesome :D

Well they sure were comfortable :P Right now I'm throwing all my money at upgrading my rig. I need to get a third cable set for my shure se215s first. Then I'm planning to put a modmic on them for lolz. If I do get the money for over ear headphones, I've got my eye on AKG K550s. More expensive but more awesome :D

Alright. Audio lasts a lot longer than computers since they do not make major advancements the way graphics cards and cpus.

Alright. Audio lasts a lot longer than computers since they do not make major advancements the way graphics cards and cpus.

I have my dad's grado sr60s from over 20 years ago as far as I can tell :D That and his stereo and record player :D

Wait, so the headband on the K702 only digs into your head if they are broken? Are you sure that's correct, because mine were like that from the start, and it seems like that's the case for pretty much all K70X buyers.

Did you say you fixed it with duct tape? How?

I am so disappointed with AKG and their stupid headband on the K702. I don't think I've heard a single person say it's good, yet they won't change it. I fixed mine with double adhesive tape and bubble wrap.

post-216-0-69311700-1376303535.jpg

Wait, so the headband on the K702 only digs into your head if they are broken? Are you sure that's correct, because mine were like that from the start, and it seems like that's the case for pretty much all K70X buyers.

Did you say you fixed it with duct tape? How?

I am so disappointed with AKG and their stupid headband on the K702. I don't think I've heard a single person say it's good, yet they won't change it. I fixed mine with double adhesive tape and bubble wrap.

attachicon.gifDSC03732.JPG

I guess if you were to get it in a bad position on your head it might feel bad immediately.  It happens a whole lot more when the headband breaks though.  I won't miss the bumps on the new AKGs, that's for sure.

Like this:

post-7799-0-41752800-1376303805_thumb.jp