Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Not that people are seeking it but... Even more information on non-lethal.

I finally took a shot from the 43 caliber T4E CO2 powered pistol with rubber balls.

You hear em. They don't hurt at first, but 2 or 3 when not expecting it can take someone back I'd think.

If you really want to stop someone, they make PVC hard plastic 68 caliber balls called "Riot Balls." Take about 100~200 and fill up a hopper for an electronic paintball gun & no one will mess with you. Some markers can crank up the velocity to shoot normal paintballs at over 300 feet per second.

For non-firearm look alike, pepper spray & Bear mace are wicked. I saw a youtube channel called active self protection where a computer repair place used one on an aggressive individual & it stopped his intentions really quick. I saw another video of someone that lost a bet and had to get pepper sprayed by something Rothco distributes which has intense pepper spray, tear gas & UV dye, & he was suffering for a very long time.

Bear spray can be $50~100 USD. Pepper spray can be $10~30 USD based on some local stores that have products past or present.

Pepper balls are a waste of time. They're great for movies & scaring those who don't know. It's the fear of what they're supposed to do than what they can do imo. Getting hit with a paintball without ever being hit by one could be scary & feel as if it hurts more. That or there's some magic potion in the police/military formulas.

I won't give up my firearms for these though. Just extra information that can be useful.

PS cool tactic a militaryman gave me...

If you have a flashlight in your hand & a pistol in the other, Hold the flashlight way up & out to the side. People shoot at lights. They aren't likely to hit you if they're not aiming at your true location. Fun strat I thought I'd share.

Does anyone know of a scope with a canted red dot for under 50ish dollars?

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

14 hours ago, xXFitzXx said:

Does anyone know of a scope with a canted red dot for under 50ish dollars?

Either one of those individually would be trash if it only costs $50.  Putting them in the same package for that amount would make them double-trash.  

Unless you're talking airsoft, in which case no: I'm not aware of any scopes that include a canted red dot sight.  I'm not sure the form factor would even work: canted sights usually are mounted to the barrel itself; having a canted sight mounted to a scope would force a very weird grip and would make the sights very hard to zero accurately (and would make them wildly inaccurate outside of their zero'ed distance)

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

2 hours ago, Rybo said:

Either one of those individually would be trash if it only costs $50.  Putting them in the same package for that amount would make them double-trash.  

Unless you're talking airsoft, in which case no: I'm not aware of any scopes that include a canted red dot sight.  I'm not sure the form factor would even work: canted sights usually are mounted to the barrel itself; having a canted sight mounted to a scope would force a very weird grip and would make the sights very hard to zero accurately (and would make them wildly inaccurate outside of their zero'ed distance)

As LVPOs are becoming more popular, the canted dot is also becoming more of a thing. There are several good mounts out there for putting an RMR/ACRO/DPP etc on the receiver behind or in front of the LVPO mount. However most (probably all) of the mounts worth using are going to be greater than $50 for just the mount.

Here's an Arisaka example, $135:

ari-4_large.jpg?v=1597866622

ari-5_large.jpg?v=1597866622

I even saw someone (Scalarworks maybe?) has a 30mm mount that has a built in offset mount, but that was $300+

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Man I want to hold a set of FAL and M1911 once in my life

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

39 minutes ago, Morris_lee_9116 said:

Man I want to hold a set of FAL and M1911 once in my life

how easy is that to do in Taiwan? I've never looked into the laws there.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Anyone here have experience with M10X's? I'm strongly considering getting one around tax return time, either that or a WS-MCR.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

On 9/29/2020 at 7:51 PM, Real_PhillBert said:

how easy is that to do in Taiwan? I've never looked into the laws there.

I don't think it's possible here, either one day in the future when I'm on vacation to US or I will experience it in Virtual Reality (H3VR)

Edited by Morris_lee_9116
forgot to input the place

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)
  • Hours on record: 4,976.9h

Got a little titanium goodness in last night!

SLR Rifleworks titanium adjustable gas block:

20201005-175223-1.jpg

Also got in a .120 carbide drill bit and a 2/0 taper pin reamer to pin the gas block for extra security. The barrel has been on order for a bit over two months now, so hopefully that shows up soon. Once the barrel comes in, I'll get a measurement for the handguard, I want the handguard to be as close to the suppressor as possible without actually contacting. 

It's been a long road of collecting parts, but this SBR is getting very very close to a functional rifle. 

@Real_PhillBert What gun is it> i havent been keeping up lol

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

So dumb question, life has gotten in the way and I have not had time to look into this, but are all scope calibration/adjustments done the same way, or is it per scope maker?

The one I have on my rifle was sighted/adjusted for about 100 yards, but the sighting range near me only goes out to 50, so it's off a tad, I can manually compensate for this, but having the scope sighted right would be a plus.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

43 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So dumb question, life has gotten in the way and I have not had time to look into this, but are all scope calibration/adjustments done the same way, or is it per scope maker?

The one I have on my rifle was sighted/adjusted for about 100 yards, but the sighting range near me only goes out to 50, so it's off a tad, I can manually compensate for this, but having the scope sighted right would be a plus.

Everything is different.  Generally they'll have two knobs -- one for height (up and down) and one for windage (left and right).  And generally the knobs will click as you spin them, and one click will generally equal some fraction of a minute of angle adjustment.  Beyond that, though, you'll definitely need to look up the specs for your scope/sight to see which direction to spin the knobs and what increment a click represents. 

And also there are the ballistic characteristics of the bullets you use and the gun you fire them out of.  Once you memorize the tables, it'll be much easier to adjust when you're not at the range your rifle is sighted to.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

13 minutes ago, Rybo said:

specs for your scope

While we are on the subject...how does one buy a scope? In other words, do you buy the biggest one you can, or do you get it based on what the round can do? This is the 1st rifle I've had with anything other than iron sights, and I feel the scope is...perhaps not all it could be.

The round is a 7,62x54r out of a ww2 Mosin

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

While we are on the subject...how does one buy a scope? In other words, do you buy the biggest one you can, or do you get it based on what the round can do? This is the 1st rifle I've had with anything other than iron sights, and I feel the scope is...perhaps not all it could be.

The round is a 7,62x54r out of a ww2 Mosin

You buy the scope based on your use case.  If you're mostly going to be shooting at 50 yards, iron sights are honestly fine.  But fine isn't good enough :) For your purposes, you *might* like a 1-4x variable power scope -- which means you'll be able to look through it with anywhere between 1x to 4x magnification.  

I unfortunately don't use scopes myself, so I don't know the specific tables of what scopes are best at what ranges, but 1-4x seems to be a good middle ground for people who shoot near range, but want the ability to zoom in for precise shots from time to time.  

As far as what features you look for in a scope...hard to say.  The only really important thing is not being knocked out of zero by being fired, and there's no real spec for that...it's mostly "the more you spend, the more you get."  The next thing is durability.  You don't want to drop the thing on the ground and have the scope outright break on you.  Another feature where some sights differ is the precision of their adjustments.  Some are 1/2 MOA per click, others are 1/4.  Honestly, this doesn't matter to me.  I'm not looking to keyhole things at 50 yards, so 1/2 MOA at that distance is good enough.  

There's also one thing to consider: whether you'll be looking through the sight for long periods of time.  If you will, then you want to consider getting one with no magnification: 1x only.  Even if you get the 1-4x mentioned above, the 1x will be going through lenses and putting additional strain on your eyes.  I don't believe it's a strong effect, though, so I wouldn't be *terribly* worried about it, but it's something to be aware of.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

14 minutes ago, Rybo said:

As far as what features you look for in a scope...hard to say. 

I just took a closer look at it.

The name on the scope is, unhelpfully, "AIM". With a 2-7x32 printed/engraved on it. There is a top "dial" and a right "dial" (looking down the scope as you would at the range) and only unscrew the dial lids to find hidden adjustments that can be changed a quarter and in very tiny print around the dial, "1 click 1/4 100 yds"

On the left of the scope is a dial that goes from 1 to 7 with a R at the end. I just turned it, and surprise, inside the cross-hairs turn either red or green, in increasing brightness. Neat, I hadn't discovered this until now.

EDIT:

I believe this is the scope

https://www.opticsplanet.com/aimsports-2-7x32-dual-ill-long-eye-relief-scope-w-rings.html

14 hours ago, xXFitzXx said:

@Real_PhillBert What gun is it> i havent been keeping up lol

It's an AR-15 built on an ADM receiver set, with a LaRue 12" barrel if they ever ship the damn thing.

Here's how far along it is, with my primary HD rifle:

20201006-191901-1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Here's how far along it is, with my primary HD rifle:

Lol, love the pocket Constitution.  +1

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

10 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Lol, love the pocket Constitution.  +1

I make a lot of orders with Bigtexoutdoors, and they always include at least one with each order, so I'm practically swimming in them now.

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I make a lot of orders with Bigtexoutdoors, and they always include at least one with each order, so I'm practically swimming in them now.

Happy 4 4s posts. 

Just now, fpo said:

Happy 4 4s posts. 

Thanks, I didnt even notice!

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

Happy 4 4s posts. 

3 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Thanks, I didnt even notice!

(Apparently off topic posts don't count, so this would be the 4444 post: 

)

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Just now, Rybo said:

(Apparently off topic posts don't count, so this would be the 4444 post: 

)

Off Topic posts do not count towards post count. I'd like to think that I can make a bunch of 4444 posts.

So last time my stepdad and I went to the range, I took my GSG, 10/22, and .308 bolt action out.  Got the .308 sighted out to 100 yards.  The 10/22's scope was just slightly to the left, fixed that and now I'm spot on.  I took the GSG out because I found my pistol fundamentals when shooting have been slipping, and I wanted practice without too much of a high cost.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I picked one of these up for the .300 Win Mag I just bought. A Bushnell Nitro 2-10x44 with a first focal plane reticle in MOA. Should let me stretch this rifle out to 500 yards at least if I do my part, though it's going to be mostly for hunting.

Bushnell Nitro.jpg

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

What with this whole covid thing, family, life etc it's actually been about 3 months since I have been out shooting. 

Managed to get out today and posted a respectable (for me) 73/100. Not a competition so counts for nothing but it's nice to know I haven't completely forgotten everything. 

IMG_20201010_143304.jpg