Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
2 hours ago, fpo said:

Some crack head told me you couldn’t go through a whole box of like 20 Rds without your shoulder being sore with Beowulf. Is that true or is the gun fun as hell? 

.223 & 5.56 do have the velocity but if I’m going for AP, I think .308 is the way to go. 

Im looking at a second rifle & 90% of lists say to get an AR-15, but I’ve seen too many issues with .223/5.56 rifles that I’m skeptical of that round. I’ll look into guns a lot more before I buy any new rifles though. I’m having fun with my AK & waiting on my pistol permit so I’m set for the time being. 

no hes definetly wrong, i mean it also depends on your body type, i gots the beefy shoulders and the only thing thats really kicked and made me go wow is 200 grains in a black powder rifle.  honestly it isnt to much worse than 5.56 to shoot.

47 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I am kicking around the idea of building a .458 upper, or maybe a .350 Legend instead. I only ever take my AR out for hunting feral hogs though and .223 is sufficient, but something with a bit more energy would be better for the big ones. 

ive heard hogs are tough as fuck to kill, seem to just keep going forever honestly if you could go hunting or to a rifle range with a friend/ friends that have riffles of that caliber i definitely would.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

ive heard hogs are tough as fuck to kill, seem to just keep going forever honestly if you could go hunting or to a rifle range with a friend/ friends that have riffles of that caliber i definitely would.

From a logistical standpoint, yes they are. They breed fast like rabbits and are well-adapted to the environment here in Texas at least. From a physical aspect, they usually are not. A well-placed .22LR would get rid of one, but that really only works if you have hog traps. 

I have a friend with a .458 and have put a few rounds through at a range; Decent energy but low ballistic coefficient and velocity, so it drops fast. .350 Legend would be completely uncharted territory in my group of friends, but I have a bunch of goofy stuff I load for anyway so no big deal on my end. I think standard .38/.357 jacketed projectiles are what's used in .350 Legend, so that's easy enough, not sure about powder.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

While Glock isn't my favorite handguns, and the G19 I find a little too big to comfortably conceal carry... I still want to get one cause of just how the magazines are just... everywhere, and you can get G17 or extended 32 round mags for super cheap.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

5 hours ago, fpo said:

.223 & 5.56 do have the velocity but if I’m going for AP, I think .308 is the way to go.  

6.5 Grendel (AR-15) or 7mm-08/6.5 Creedmoor (AR-10) would be my choice for a general purpose semi-auto with decent reach that could handle just about any game you throw at it.

A good mate used to have a Steyr Scout in 7mm-08, it does basically everything a .308 does but with marginally lower recoil and better ballistics. Really suited such a lightweight platform too, can't imagine how nasty one of the .376 Steyr ones with nearly twice the muzzle energy would be.

He sold that when he got into F- Class and now basically only owns ridiculous thousand yard 6.5-284 nail drivers.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

9 hours ago, Aimi said:

.50 Beowulf doesn't often come in high enough pressure loadings for it to be really painful. Of course since it's a crackhead telling you, I'm not surprised he got hurt.

Also, with every problem 1 AR in .223/5.56, there's 100 that operate perfectly fine. A lot of issues you might find in such ARs is either cheap, low quality parts, or garbage ammo.

Thats probably all valid. 

Im only concerned because I’ve seen maybe 3~5 AR15 operate in person and at least 2~3 of them had problems. 1 I used had 2 malfunctions in 30 minutes. (Timed range slot.)

is there a place I can learn like tiers of AR parts & whatnot? 

Someone earlier in the thread said colt M4 are low quality & not worth the money, but afaik, Colt bought AR-15 from armalite. 

My cousin said DPMS is an unreliable company, yet an FFL I know said she learned on a DPMS & said they’re great starter guns. 

inrange is really changing my perspective of the AR-15 with their mud & sand convoy videos. 

But then again the HK416 is an AR-15 variant of I’m not mistaken & that failed the mud test. Not that im going mussing, but I have a decent rifle. It’d be nice to have a Lamborghini gun if I were to buy a second rifle. 

8 hours ago, Statik said:

Define issues? .223/5.56 is like the most common chambering in AR-15... Also just out of curiosity why are you interested in a platform purely for AP? Seems kind of pointless.

Most issues I’ve seen were double feeds. I’ve seen 1 “stove pipe” if I’m calling that correct. Extract & eject but she’ll is trapped perpendicular to bolt hanging in & out of the ejection port. 

An FFL said it could be bad mags, bad Ammo or someone not cleaning their gun. Idk. 

The AR-15 that had a stove pipe & a double feed in 30 minutes was a STAG ARMS “other.” When my friend bought it, it was like $1K & that store doesn’t sell them anymore because they’re “too unreliable.” 

I’d have thought any big company with the biggest rifle model would’ve been fine if they did the complete rifle. 

Im not interested in AP. If I was, I’d have gone with .308 as it’s been said to be much better at AP in YouTube videos when they shoot body armour & other hard stuff. 

.308 is from my perspective the 4th easiest bullet to find. 

#1 9mm

#2/3 .223/5.56 & 7.62x39

#4 .308/7.62NATO

4 hours ago, HM-2 said:

6.5 Grendel (AR-15) or 7mm-08/6.5 Creedmoor (AR-10) would be my choice for a general purpose semi-auto with decent reach that could handle just about any game you throw at it.

A good mate used to have a Steyr Scout in 7mm-08, it does basically everything a .308 does but with marginally lower recoil and better ballistics. Really suited such a lightweight platform too, can't imagine how nasty one of the .376 Steyr ones with nearly twice the muzzle energy would be.

He sold that when he got into F- Class and now basically only owns ridiculous thousand yard 6.5-284 nail drivers.

That’s awesome! I saw forgotten weapons discuss scout rifles. 

Im not quite into hunting yet. More so getting guns as hobby & “prepper.” 

I play too much fallout 3 to not think “I need guns for when the super mutants & raiders show up.”

i don’t have any bomb shelters. Just imagination of apocalypse. But just the gun part, not the radiation, food, water & so fourth. 

Im not deciding on a second rifle yet, but for “battle rifle apocalypse” I was thinking the F2000 or Desert Tech MDR would be cool guns. 

10 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

While Glock isn't my favorite handguns, and the G19 I find a little too big to comfortably conceal carry... I still want to get one cause of just how the magazines are just... everywhere, and you can get G17 or extended 32 round mags for super cheap.

I would definitely get a 1911 if you have 4-500 instead, you can still get mags everywhere (not quite as wide spread as glock) 

AMD blackout rig

5 hours ago, fpo said:

An FFL said it could be bad mags, bad Ammo or someone not cleaning their gun. Idk. 

This is most likely the case, ar-15s tend to be pretty reliable if you keep them clean and have good mag.

AMD blackout rig

2 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

This is most likely the case, ar-15s tend to be pretty reliable if you keep them clean and have good mag.

Direct impingement makes them inherently more prone to cleanliness issues than other rifles which don't dump combustion byproducts and particles of metal throughout the entire gas system or burn off substantial amounts of lubricant, but this has been known about since the sixties so you'd expect that people would be aware at this point.

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

8 hours ago, fpo said:

<<describing AR-15 issues>>

Weird.  I have a stock S&W M&P-15 Sport II and I've put on the order of 3,000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions.  And I don't think I cleaned the gun once through the first 1,000 rounds.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

18 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Weird.  I have a stock S&W M&P-15 Sport II and I've put on the order of 3,000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions.  And I don't think I cleaned the gun once through the first 1,000 rounds.  

I think the M&P uses a short stroke gas piston design and therefore doesn't dump carbonised detritus, hot gases and metal throughout the action every time you fire it. 

-E

Turns out some versions do but others don't.

welp got outbid, should have got the glock 19 when they were everywhere still god dammit

Is $750 too much for a gen5

1 hour ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

welp got outbid, should have got the glock 19 when they were everywhere still god dammit

Is $750 too much for a gen5

Yes.  MSRP sits around $600.  Though we're in somewhat..unique circumstances right now, so if you need a gun, that might be the premium you have to pay.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

7 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

That’s the thing. How clean do I need to keep it? It’s so strange to me. 

Inrange showed the AR15 to be good at mud as well as sand-yet the HK416 (AR-15 with short stroke has piston) failed the mud test. 

4 hours ago, Rybo said:

I heard that this is a popular model. 

What makes AR-15 ammo reliable? Should one get high pressure ammo? (Overgas, not necessarily +P)

is steel case fine? The army uses brass. Russia uses steel cases in AK, but they adopted the 47 to replace SMG so I don’t think performance was their concern as much as ROF. Germany used steel in WW2 cuz brass was hard to come by after frontlines were established. 

My ffl i got my AK from said steel saves him a ton of money when he shoots. I think I was asking about pistols in that circumstance though. 

Another FFL was brought up by police & ex police near a city where you can only go to indoor ranges so they’re “brass or bust.” 

Maybe im overthinking it. Someone tell me if I am. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

What makes AR-15 ammo reliable? Should one get high pressure ammo? (Overgas, not necessarily +P)

is steel case fine?

Just general quality -- do they use nice primers, do they tightly control the powder load, do they seat and crimp the bullets within tight tolerances, etc.  Unfortunately it's probably difficult for us to track -- you just have to look at ammo reviews at places like luckygunner.com.  I usually go with the cheapest ammo they have and I haven't had any problems.  Though we're in...unique times right now, so ammo is in short supply.  I wouldn't buy yet unless you need it.  Prices are WAY up.  

As far as I understand, though, steel = dirtier gun, it obviously corrodes way more easily if you store your ammo in sub optimal conditions, and it's often not permitted to be fired on gun ranges (typically the indoor ranges).  It's also not reusable.  Brass is the opposite: it's cleaner, less corrosion, and is allowed on all ranges.  Plus you can collect it and reuse it if you have a press, or clean it up and sell it to someone with a press.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

12 minutes ago, fpo said:

That’s the thing. How clean do I need to keep it? It’s so strange to me. 

Inrange showed the AR15 to be good at mud as well as sand-yet the HK416 (AR-15 with short stroke has piston) failed the mud test. 

It’s a build up of carbon from the piston rather than dirt or mud.

AMD blackout rig

5 minutes ago, Rybo said:

Just general quality -- do they use nice primers, do they tightly control the powder load, do they seat and crimp the bullets within tight tolerances, etc.  Unfortunately it's probably difficult for us to track -- you just have to look at ammo reviews at places like luckygunner.com.  I usually go with the cheapest ammo they have and I haven't had any problems.  Though we're in...unique times right now, so ammo is in short supply.  I wouldn't buy yet unless you need it.  Prices are WAY up.  

Im not buying anything for at least a year. 

I have over 1,000 rds for my current rifle between wolf, norinco & American Eagle. 

My friend said that Tuulammo is the best ammo he’s ever used in his AR 15. 

What are some good price to quality/performance ammo you use? 

5 minutes ago, Rybo said:

As far as I understand, though, steel = dirtier gun, it obviously corrodes way more easily if you store your ammo in sub optimal conditions, and it's often not permitted to be fired on gun ranges (typically the indoor ranges).  It's also not reusable.  Brass is the opposite: it's cleaner, less corrosion, and is allowed on all ranges.  Plus you can collect it and reuse it if you have a press, or clean it up and sell it to someone with a press.  

I clean my guns every time I get home from the range & shoot outside where everything but tracers & fire ammo is allowed. 

The army movies all kinda drilled it into my head that you gotta clean your weapons as much as possible. Idk if that’s bad for the guns or not. Antiques definitely, but modern guns idk. Parts are available so it’s not that bad to get new ones. One plus to the AR-15. 

Do you think AR-15 are bad with steel ammo cuz of the extra residue? I don’t know what caused the AR-15 “common knowledge” that AR-15 are unreliable. 

Or better yet, what are the top 3 brands of AR-15 in your eyes? Like if you buy a Good car brand you’ll be set for the most part. 

29 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

It’s a build up of carbon from the piston rather than dirt or mud.

Where is the buildup causing malfunctions the most? 

11 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I would definitely get a 1911 if you have 4-500 instead, you can still get mags everywhere (not quite as wide spread as glock) 

Already have one, used to own two.  I have a plethora of mags for it too.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

37 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Already have one, used to own two.  I have a plethora of mags for it too.

I love my colt 45 literally my favorite gun to carry.

AMD blackout rig

10 hours ago, fpo said:

What are some good price to quality/performance ammo you use? 

I have zero brand loyalty.  I just buy the cheapest that's available at the time.  So far that's been Wolf, Fiocchi, and Hornady.  All use brass casings. All have run without issue.  

Do you think AR-15 are bad with steel ammo cuz of the extra residue?

I don't think it's just AR-15's, but yes, steel ammo is probably a little harder on firearms in general.  

you gotta clean your weapons as much as possible. Idk if that’s bad for the guns or not

I've never heard of cleaning causing issues unless you use something that's corrosive to the firearm's materials, which is going to be bad, and immediately so :).  I just use a combo gun lube/cleaner and clear out all the residue.  I have heard of overlubricated guns running into problems -- that being excessive residue build up due to it collecting in the standing oil in the weapon -- but that's not a result of cleaning too much necessarily, though the more often you clean the more chances you have to leave too much goop behind.  This is obviously not a problem if you use dry lube, though that may have other concerns (such as premature wear on the parts), though if that is a concern I've never heard about it.  

I can also envision running the brass brush through the barrel too often prematurely wearing out the rifling, but I doubt that's a large factor either.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

54 minutes ago, Rybo said:

I have heard of overlubricated guns running into problems -- that being excessive residue build up due to it collecting in the standing oil in the weapon -- but that's not a result of cleaning too much necessarily,

I meant from disassembly & reassembly. 

Take it apart too many times and it might wear out the parts? 

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

I meant from disassembly & reassembly. 

Take it apart too many times and it might wear out the parts? 

I've never heard of this happening. Worth pointing out that the lifetime of a modern firearm, that is well made, is something like 50,000 rounds or more. Unless you're cleaning your guns wrong, cleaning should not hurt them. If we're talking AR-15's specifically, you should be cleaning them after each use.

Compare to the Spanish Ruby pistol, which had a lifetime of something like 500 rounds, assuming you tolerate the jamming and FTF long enough to actually get to 500 rounds.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

17 hours ago, fpo said:

Do you think AR-15 are bad with steel ammo cuz of the extra residue? I don’t know what caused the AR-15 “common knowledge” that AR-15 are unreliable. 

Or better yet, what are the top 3 brands of AR-15 in your eyes? Like if you buy a Good car brand you’ll be set for the most part. 

The main issues of steel ammo is thought to be the lacquer used to coat most of them.

Here is a good read on the differences

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/