Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
4 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

.223 Wylde

Is there really much reason to use these? I don't really understand why you wouldn't use a normal 5.56 barrel.

A girl who loves to love.

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

Is there really much reason to use these? I don't really understand why you wouldn't use a normal 5.56 barrel.

It allows you to safely fire both .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO from the same chamber.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

14 minutes ago, Aimi said:

This gets kinda deep into the sticks of the .223 rem vs 5.56x45mm discussion. There's a ton of conversation and information as well as misinformation out there around this topic that I don't particularly care to drag down into, mostly because I'm not a subject matter expert on it. 

Long story short, yes there is some reason to use .223 Wylde vs .223 rem or 5.56x45mm chamberings; as it allows the use of both .223rem and 5.56mm as it has the chamber dimensions of 5.56x45mm but the freebore diameter of .223. It kinda gets in the sticks, and honestly the differences are small at best. I've had very very good luck with LaRue barrels in the past, and they chamber in .223 Wylde, so .223 Wylde is good by me. 

There's some basic history and information here if you'd like more indepth answers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Here's some pics I took.

CZP09.jpg

snekcz.jpg

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium CASE: NZXT H1

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

14 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Made a little more progress on the SBR this weekend. Got a PWS enhanced buffer tube and LaRue MBT-2S trigger in.

The lower is almost done, next month I'll buy a CTR stock and JP captured buffer and the lower will be complete.

Are AR parts actually compatible? 

With airsoft parts are said to be “compatible” and hardly ever are. 

Everything just fits together without problems? 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Are AR parts actually compatible? 

That's like, the biggest draw to the platform. Not every part is compatible with everything, but since you can pretty much take the *entire thing* apart, that can be worked around.

As for airsoft stuff, I wouldn't trust anything specifically designed for a toy on a real firearm, if that's what you're wondering about. Even if it might fit.

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

That's like, the biggest draw to the platform. Not every part is compatible with everything, but since you can pretty much take the *entire thing* apart, that can be worked around.

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

As for airsoft stuff, I wouldn't trust anything specifically designed for a toy on a real firearm, if that's what you're wondering about. Even if it might fit.

I meant parts going into airsoft guns designed for airsoft guns hardly ever fit correctly nor worked. 

Youd take a gear or something and it wouldn’t be compatible with other gears of the same type for the same version of the same system if one was a different brand. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

I meant parts going into airsoft guns designed for airsoft guns hardly ever fit correctly nor worked. 

Youd take a gear or something and it wouldn’t be compatible with other gears of the same type for the same version of the same system if one was a different brand. 

That's probably because airsoft guns aren't really built to any one specification, while many ARs are.

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

That's probably because airsoft guns aren't really built to any one specification, while many ARs are.

The thing you need to think about on most military based firearms, AR-15 as the above example, is that the military specifies they need to be interchangeable parts.  You should be able to take parts from any gun on a table and mix them into any other gun on the table and the gun will work.  I would not try this with bolt/barrel combos so you keep a good headspacing but pretty much every other part in the gun should swap over and work.  You can take the upper off a modern gun and pin it to a lower from the 1970's and have a functional gun.  This is so that as guns get damaged in battle the armorers at the military bases can have a stockpile of spares and can get a gun functional in a minimal amount of time.  A soldier on a battlefield needs to know that if he breaks a firing pin he can pull a spare out of his bag and install it in the gun mid firefight and be back up and running in less than 5 minutes.  This level of interchangeability and serviceability rolls over into civilian sales because the gun makers want to stay compatible with the military guns in case they win a contract to supply the government spare parts.  You don't want to be left out because you made something out of spec.

An airsoft gun doesn't have those requirements because nobody is going to tear it apart in the middle of a skirmish and replace an internal part. You also have to figure that the companies making airsoft equipment may have different patents on the tech/designs for their guns and aren't willing to share with other companies to make the same parts.

2 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

The thing you need to think about on most military based firearms, AR-15 as the above example, is that the military specifies they need to be interchangeable parts.  You should be able to take parts from any gun on a table and mix them into any other gun on the table and the gun will work.  I would not try this with bolt/barrel combos so you keep a good headspacing but pretty much every other part in the gun should swap over and work.  You can take the upper off a modern gun and pin it to a lower from the 1970's and have a functional gun.  This is so that as guns get damaged in battle the armorers at the military bases can have a stockpile of spares and can get a gun functional in a minimal amount of time.  A soldier on a battlefield needs to know that if he breaks a firing pin he can pull a spare out of his bag and install it in the gun mid firefight and be back up and running in less than 5 minutes.  This level of interchangeability and serviceability rolls over into civilian sales because the gun makers want to stay compatible with the military guns in case they win a contract to supply the government spare parts.  You don't want to be left out because you made something out of spec.

An airsoft gun doesn't have those requirements because nobody is going to tear it apart in the middle of a skirmish and replace an internal part. You also have to figure that the companies making airsoft equipment may have different patents on the tech/designs for their guns and aren't willing to share with other companies to make the same parts.

Uh, yeah... I understand that.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Uh, yeah... I understand that.

Sorry, wasn't meant to point a finger at you directly but there are enough people on this forum that get chaffed if you don't quote them it's become a bad habit.  :)

My AR I built a few years back.  Mix-master parts wise and all midgrade stuff. 

Bushmaster upper, lower and BCG. 

Green Mountain M-4 cut barrel in 5.56, chrome lined. 

Magpull furniture and back up sights. 

Generic PSA trigger group.

Smith Enterprises muzzle brake.

I splurged on the budget with the Eotech EXPS2 with the two dot reticle.

IMG_5461.jpg

1 minute ago, vf1000ride said:

Sorry, wasn't meant to point a finger at you directly but there are enough people on this forum that get chaffed if you don't quote them it's become a bad habit.  :)

I'm just a bit confused why you replied to me is all. I understand that a majority of ARs/AR parts are built to the same spec.

9 minutes ago, Aimi said:

I'm just a bit confused why you replied to me is all. I understand that a majority of ARs/AR parts are built to the same spec.

Sorry, wasn't meant to be anything.  I accidentally clicked the quote button on the post above me purely from habit.

Another quick picture of something unique.  A pair of Enfields. 

The one on the LH is the British P-14 chambered in .303 and was manufactured at the Eddystone factory in the USA starting in 1915.

The one on the RH is the US M-1917 chambered in .30-06 and was manufactured 3 years later at the same factory as the first gun.

IMG_1007.JPG

Anyone know rules about non-lethal stuff in the north east USA?

I know no one here is a lawyer & is all interpretation. I also know that non-lethal vs lethal is a questionable decision.

I'm unable to complete my pistol permit due to quarantine.

I saw that in Germany it's common for people to carry "gas" guns. They're basically blank firing/starter guns that launch CS Tear Gas.
I've also looked at some rubber ball firing CO2 guns.

Effectiveness videos:

Spoiler

CS Gas gun:

Rubber ball by T4E (Training for engagement distributed by Umarex.)

I want to be able to carry something with me today. (Without mentioning politics.)

Someone that has an FFL didn't seem to know the answer but wouldn't state outright simply saying I'd face a felony charge or get shot by a police officer. They couldn't state the exact felony charge for carrying one, just that it's illegal to defend one self in the state of New York. (Not talking NYC. Everything is illegal in NYC.)

The FFL individual recommended carrying Mace, but I'm curious on what else would be available.
I was considering a CS Gas Gun because if someone draws less than a firearm, I'd bluff higher than them & be able to at the very least stun someone for long enough to run away. (Naturally calling the police ASAP.)

The T4E rubber balls seem like another good option as it has 1 the appearance of a firearm, 2 high power very hard rubber balls & 3 the ability to fire pepper balls which from real world use videos appears to be very effective.

Any other input on the matter?

29 minutes ago, fpo said:

Anyone know rules about non-lethal stuff in the north east USA?

I know no one here is a lawyer & is all interpretation. I also know that non-lethal vs lethal is a questionable decision.

I'm unable to complete my pistol permit due to quarantine.

I saw that in Germany it's common for people to carry "gas" guns. They're basically blank firing/starter guns that launch CS Tear Gas.
I've also looked at some rubber ball firing CO2 guns.

Effectiveness videos:

Reveal hidden contents

CS Gas gun:

Rubber ball by T4E (Training for engagement distributed by Umarex.)

I want to be able to carry something with me today. (Without mentioning politics.)

Someone that has an FFL didn't seem to know the answer but wouldn't state outright simply saying I'd face a felony charge or get shot by a police officer. They couldn't state the exact felony charge for carrying one, just that it's illegal to defend one self in the state of New York. (Not talking NYC. Everything is illegal in NYC.)

The FFL individual recommended carrying Mace, but I'm curious on what else would be available.
I was considering a CS Gas Gun because if someone draws less than a firearm, I'd bluff higher than them & be able to at the very least stun someone for long enough to run away. (Naturally calling the police ASAP.)

The T4E rubber balls seem like another good option as it has 1 the appearance of a firearm, 2 high power very hard rubber balls & 3 the ability to fire pepper balls which from real world use videos appears to be very effective.

Any other input on the matter?

Buy some sort of pepper spray with a dye in it. I believe a company called Fox makes one of the most common ones, and IIRC they sell a "test" canister as well that you can try out without worrying about dying your back yard green or getting pepper spray in your face.

As far as those gas guns, they're not common here and of dubious legality as far as I know. I managed sales at an FFL and we wouldn't touch them, but it was in Texas so New York State laws are not something I'm familiar with.

While the URL is about handgun laws and the site deals with carry permit reciprocity among other things, there is some information in this PDF, on page 10 under "Chemical Sprays".

https://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

26 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Buy some sort of pepper spray with a dye in it. I believe a company called Fox makes one of the most common ones, and IIRC they sell a "test" canister as well that you can try out without worrying about dying your back yard green or getting pepper spray in your face.

Thanks! I had a pepper spray that was "Pepper spray, tear gas & UV Dye" in it.

As far as those gas guns, they're not common here and of dubious legality as far as I know. I managed sales at an FFL and we wouldn't touch them, but it was in Texas so New York State laws are not something I'm familiar with.

While the URL is about handgun laws and the site deals with carry permit reciprocity among other things, there is some information in this PDF, on page 10 under "Chemical Sprays".

https://handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

If that site linked is accurate, it would appear I could justify legalization if I print all the necessary information onto each & every pepper spray round. However, on the link to the law reference it would appear replica firearms that aren't absurd colour or transparent are illegal? Since when idk...

Spoiler
Spoiler

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or offer for sell,
  possess or use or attempt to use or give  away,  any  toy  or  imitation

firearm which substantially duplicates or can reasonably be perceived to
  be an actual firearm unless:

(a)  the  entire  exterior surface of such toy or imitation firearm is
  colored white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow,  bright  green,
  bright  blue,  bright  pink  or  bright  purple, either singly or as the
  predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern; or
    (b)  such  toy  or  imitation  firearm  is  constructed  entirely   of
  transparent   or   translucent   materials  which  permits  unmistakable
  observation of the imitation or toy firearm's complete contents

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/lawssrch.cgi?NVLWO:

I was researching BB guns as 8-bit guy of all people has a video on non-lethal stuff from a deprecated channel:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Finding laws on this stuff is incredibly difficult... It almost promotes not bothering to find out if what you're doing is legal.

Thanks!
I'll definitely start with pepper spray & see what else I can find.

I'm still open to any further information that anyone may have as well.

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Thanks! I had a pepper spray that was "Pepper spray, tear gas & UV Dye" in it.

If that site linked is accurate, it would appear I could justify legalization if I print all the necessary information onto each & every pepper spray round. However, on the link to the law reference it would appear replica firearms that aren't absurd colour or transparent are illegal? Since when idk...

I was researching BB guns as 8-bit guy of all people has a video on non-lethal stuff from a deprecated channel:

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Finding laws on this stuff is incredibly difficult... It almost promotes not bothering to find out if what you're doing is legal.

Thanks!
I'll definitely start with pepper spray & see what else I can find.

I'm still open to any further information that anyone may have as well.

I can't imagine a "CS Gas Gun" being legal in any way AFAIK.

But as someone who has pretty extensive use with firearms I find that any "less than lethal" device that replicates a firearm is quite juvenile. If you're so concerned about your personal safety that you want to carry something, a small can of pepper spray would be significantly easier to carry, and way more effective. I think carrying something that resembles a gun that is less than lethal and uses something obscure like CS Gas is asking for trouble, and just doesn't make any sense IMO.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Thought I'd pop in and share my smol rifle I uh.... may or may not have finally cleaned last night vs directly after the last time I fired it like I should have 😔

IMG_4071.thumb.jpg.1a1bc125cf85e16fc3ac54796555c01b.jpg

IMG_3402.thumb.jpg.99d4ccc4908e2d57ecbac46dca7ac411.jpg

(bleh quality pic because it was like 12am)

But is nice and clean now, and waiting in my closet for the next time I go to shoot some soda cans. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 hours ago, fpo said:

Not so much that but difficult to find so that it drives the truely law abiding people to have to spend a ton of money to hire a lawyer to help you figure it out.

As others have said, if legal carry is not possible at the moment, pepper/cs spray in a can is a much better options than a gun that shoots the same.

2 hours ago, Statik said:

I can't imagine a "CS Gas Gun" being legal in any way AFAIK.

But as someone who has pretty extensive use with firearms I find that any "less than lethal" device that replicates a firearm is quite juvenile.

Until I get my pistol license, I thought something that hit an opposition would be better than not having something.
IE shoot him in the eyes to blind them if they have a knife. Longer range, pain & image of "GTFO." Supposedly 90% of firearm defense ends in presence of a firearm.

If you're so concerned about your personal safety that you want to carry something, a small can of pepper spray would be significantly easier to carry, and way more effective. I think carrying something that resembles a gun that is less than lethal and uses something obscure like CS Gas is asking for trouble, and just doesn't make any sense IMO.

2 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

As others have said, if legal carry is not possible at the moment, pepper/cs spray in a can is a much better options than a gun that shoots the same.

I've done a lot of research & found the following options legal to certain extents:
1. A knife

2. Black powder/antique guns

3. BB guns, Pellet Guns, or CO2 guns

4. Flare guns

5. Pepper Spray

Blank guns are illegal as they are a powder based firearm & would therefore need to be registered as such on one's pistol permit and be sold through an FFL.

In new york a knife is difficult because laws vary drastically & statewide carrying a "dangerous knife" is a classification of a knife that is vague & undefined.

Black Powder/antique Guns were at one point declared firearms which had to be bought through an FFL. The supreme court declared that as unconstitutional so... New York allows unloaded black powder & antique guns to be sold. However, if you own a black powder/antique gun AND the components to make said firearm capable of firing, it is considered a "loaded" firearm & is now illegal. If the antique gun is within proximity (vaguely defined) it is also considered loaded & therefore needs to be registered appropriately.

However.... black powder/antique rifles are not restricted to any barrel nor overall length. One could purchase an antique rifle & cut it down extensively.

(Antique guns are firearms designed before 1890 or something that don't fire center nor rimfire ammunition, the ammunition is not in complete assembled readily available for commercial purpose, fires from flintlock, percussion or other primitive non-selfcontained firing projectile as defined by the ATF somewhere)

BB Guns, Pellet Guns & CO2 guns are not defined as firearms as they are not "powered by a powder, nor explosive to launch the projectile." instead they are "Powered by a compressed gas or liquid." The only other restriction is age of like 16. If you're 18+ you can do whatever you want. Outside NYC. The 8-Bit Guy of all people appears to have the best documentation on a deprecated channel titled "awesomeairguns" where he shoots at spam meat cans to test penetration. His personal choice when entering gun free zones is to carry a pellet pistol. For reference he shot a .22LR out of a walther pistol with a silencer & it went through 6.5 spam cans. Most BB guns do .75 to 1.5 spam cans (the shortest way through.) He shot a rifle bb/pellet gun & it went through about 2.x cans. The idea behind this is that whomever is on the receiving end will have metal stuck inside him & potentially cause him to bleed internally. Whoever plays this bluff better be really scary when they're angry or be really good at aiming into the face.

Flare guns didn't appear very effective, so I didn't bother looking into them.

Pepper Spray is the best option. I took a police like training in the past. Just pepper spray is not worth it. Many individuals (mostly those that eat spicey foods like south east asia, latin america & the likes) are completely immune to the effects. However, some Pepper sprays have CS gas (tear gas) which is effective against everyone. Tear Gas is banned in international warfare, so as long as you don't declare war on who you're dealing with, it's alright. Proof of effectiveness:

Spoiler

I am applying for my pistol permit, but for the mean time, the only reasonable option is pepper spray or a BB gun.
Idk if that'll be useful to anyone aside from me.

EDIT:
Amendment:

Spoiler

Under the BB gun category there is a company called T4E that shoots a 43 caliber paintball or rubber ball.
I was shot by the on brand rubber ball, potentially after a few discharges with a paintball padding vest. I wasn't impressed. I saw a few guys hit by them & potentially linked one.

There are nylon or steel balls you can get coated in rubber.

I question the power of this projectile, though someone insists it could be lethal with steel balls. The rubber balls shoot low 300 FPS, paintballs shoot mid-high 300 FPS.

Just noting it.

21 hours ago, fpo said:

Until I get my pistol license, I thought something that hit an opposition would be better than not having something.
IE shoot him in the eyes to blind them if they have a knife. Longer range, pain & image of "GTFO." Supposedly 90% of firearm defense ends in presence of a firearm.

I've done a lot of research & found the following options legal to certain extents:
1. A knife

4. Flare guns

5. Pepper Spray

Blank guns are illegal as they are a powder based firearm & would therefore need to be registered as such on one's pistol permit and be sold through an FFL.

In new york a knife is difficult because laws vary drastically & statewide carrying a "dangerous knife" is a classification of a knife that is vague & undefined.

Black Powder/antique Guns were at one point declared firearms which had to be bought through an FFL. The supreme court declared that as unconstitutional so... New York allows unloaded black powder & antique guns to be sold. However, if you own a black powder/antique gun AND the components to make said firearm capable of firing, it is considered a "loaded" firearm & is now illegal. If the antique gun is within proximity (vaguely defined) it is also considered loaded & therefore needs to be registered appropriately.

However.... black powder/antique rifles are not restricted to any barrel nor overall length. One could purchase an antique rifle & cut it down extensively.

(Antique guns are firearms designed before 1890 or something that don't fire center nor rimfire ammunition, the ammunition is not in complete assembled readily available for commercial purpose, fires from flintlock, percussion or other primitive non-selfcontained firing projectile as defined by the ATF somewhere)

BB Guns, Pellet Guns & CO2 guns are not defined as firearms as they are not "powered by a powder, nor explosive to launch the projectile." instead they are "Powered by a compressed gas or liquid." The only other restriction is age of like 16. If you're 18+ you can do whatever you want. Outside NYC. The 8-Bit Guy of all people appears to have the best documentation on a deprecated channel titled "awesomeairguns" where he shoots at spam meat cans to test penetration. His personal choice when entering gun free zones is to carry a pellet pistol. For reference he shot a .22LR out of a walther pistol with a silencer & it went through 6.5 spam cans. Most BB guns do .75 to 1.5 spam cans (the shortest way through.) He shot a rifle bb/pellet gun & it went through about 2.x cans. The idea behind this is that whomever is on the receiving end will have metal stuck inside him & potentially cause him to bleed internally. Whoever plays this bluff better be really scary when they're angry or be really good at aiming into the face.

Flare guns didn't appear very effective, so I didn't bother looking into them.

Pepper Spray is the best option. I took a police like training in the past. Just pepper spray is not worth it. Many individuals (mostly those that eat spicey foods like south east asia, latin america & the likes) are completely immune to the effects. However, some Pepper sprays have CS gas (tear gas) which is effective against everyone. Tear Gas is banned in international warfare, so as long as you don't declare war on who you're dealing with, it's alright. Proof of effectiveness:

Reveal hidden contents

I am applying for my pistol permit, but for the mean time, the only reasonable option is pepper spray or a BB gun.
Idk if that'll be useful to anyone aside from me.

EDIT:
Amendment:

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Under the BB gun category there is a company called T4E that shoots a 43 caliber paintball or rubber ball.
I was shot by the on brand rubber ball, potentially after a few discharges with a paintball padding vest. I wasn't impressed. I saw a few guys hit by them & potentially linked one.

There are nylon or steel balls you can get coated in rubber.

I question the power of this projectile, though someone insists it could be lethal with steel balls. The rubber balls shoot low 300 FPS, paintballs shoot mid-high 300 FPS.

Just noting it.

The only useful option in there is really pepper spray.

1. A knife

Never carry a knife for self defense. Sure they're useful tools, and I'm sure it's better to have than nothing, but carrying a knife purely for self defense can open you up to a whole can of worms of legal trouble, as well as I'm assuming you don't have proper knife training, and knife fighting is not what you expect it to be. It's way more likely for things to turn out horribly for everyone, especially you. 

Lmfao I think this answers itself

I personally don't know the legality of carrying one for self defense, but even if it's cleared in your state, I wouldn't recommend it. While certain BB cans may be able to penetrate spam cans, they strongly lack the stopping power of an actual firearm. Sure they can hurt and potentially kill, but they strongly lack the serious put you the fuck down stopping power that would come from the majority of handgun rounds.

4. Flare guns

See 3.

5. Pepper Spray

I've personally seen pepper spray incapacitate a 250lbs dude for an extended period of time. I think it's the no brainer choice. It's small, concealable, easy to use, has a very small potential for collateral damage. I think this is pretty much the no brainer in this weapon system.

I would also recommend once you get your license/CCP/whatever ensure you're a master of that particular firearm before you start using it as an EDC. The biggest mistake you can have carrying a firearm is thinking you're untouchable because you have one, and not being experienced with it.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

41 minutes ago, Statik said:

The only useful option in there is really pepper spray.

Yeah. I called my local surplus store. They’re getting the one with tear gas in it in about 3~ weeks. 

Going to pick up a few. 

Cheap, & small as you’ve said. 

1. A knife

Never carry a knife for self defense. Sure they're useful tools, and I'm sure it's better to have than nothing, but carrying a knife purely for self defense can open you up to a whole can of worms of legal trouble, as well as I'm assuming you don't have proper knife training, and knife fighting is not what you expect it to be. It's way more likely for things to turn out horribly for everyone, especially you. 

I did fencing for 3 years & read the US army hand to hand combat book as well as did martial arts. I’m not an expert, but weapon retention is the main thing I believe people miss. It’s not legal in my state so it’s a no go from me. 

Lmfao I think this answers itself

Percussion cap revolvers are quite good if you take the time to look into them. At under $500, they’re decent 6 shooters. There’s a reason the civil war was so bloody. 

Snip

My thoughts were “if it looks like one, you don’t want to bid your life on if it is actually one. 

Also, i can shoot the eyeballs to blind them. 

4. Flare guns

See 3.

When I go boating I’ll get one. 

5. Pepper Spray

Yeah, I’ve looked into this & read about it extensively. I did a junior police training thing as a kid. The warning was that plain pepper spray is often ineffective against Hispanics as they commonly eat food with peppers in it. Some officers will spray their pepper spray into their lunches because it tastes good. 

Tazers are unreliable they said & it should have some other irritant chemical to be effective on everyone, but some jurisdictions & stuff say “you can only have pepper in your pepper spray.” Might be military police as CS is against Geneva convention. 

I would also recommend once you get your license/CCP/whatever ensure you're a master of that particular firearm before you start using it as an EDC. The biggest mistake you can have carrying a firearm is thinking you're untouchable because you have one, and not being experienced with it.

Most definitely. Airsoft is no comparison, but the channel “T-Rex arms” has a video supporting airsoft translation to real firearms. 

My local store (if not sold out) has 1,000 rd crates of 9mm for like $150. 

I’ll buy the heck out of that stuff. 

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

My thoughts were “if it looks like one, you don’t want to bid your life on if it is actually one. 

Not everyone will think the same way. And in the case of New York, you may very well be required to own ones that don't look like real ones.

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

I really do hope this is a joke, and you don't honestly expect to have perfect shot placement in a self-defense situation.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

I did fencing for 3 years & read the US army hand to hand combat book as well as did martial arts. I’m not an expert, but weapon retention is the main thing I believe people miss. It’s not legal in my state so it’s a no go from me. 

The main thing people miss is the "expect to get cut" part. If you get in a knife fight, get ready to see your own bone, blood, and tissue. It's not like movies or fencing which has rules and standards.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Percussion cap revolvers are quite good if you take the time to look into them. At under $500, they’re decent 6 shooters. There’s a reason the civil war was so bloody. 

I'm not saying they can't kill people, I'm saying they're very impractical for EDC and self defense.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Also, i can shoot the eyeballs to blind them. 

This isn't a slight on you, but it's unlikely for a person to be able to shoot the eyes of a stationary target, never mind a moving human being. If you think you can actually achieve that in the best of circumstances then you really need some firearm education before you consider owning a firearm for self defense.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Yeah, I’ve looked into this & read about it extensively. I did a junior police training thing as a kid. The warning was that plain pepper spray is often ineffective against Hispanics as they commonly eat food with peppers in it. Some officers will spray their pepper spray into their lunches because it tastes good. 

This is the biggest crock of shit. I don't care how many spicy peppers you eat, getting an extremely concentrated solution blasted into your eyes will not "have no effect". And it's not Franks Red... Someone lied to you big time.

1 hour ago, fpo said:

Tazers are unreliable they said & it should have some other irritant chemical to be effective on everyone, but some jurisdictions & stuff say “you can only have pepper in your pepper spray.” Might be military police as CS is against Geneva convention. 

I don't know why you would even want CS Gas in a pepper spray like container. It would be less effective and wear off quicker. And if it performs like actual CS gas, it would be way more likely to backfire on you...

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 hour ago, Aimi said:

Not everyone will think the same way. And in the case of New York, you may very well be required to own ones that don't look like real ones.

I really do hope this is a joke, and you don't honestly expect to have perfect shot placement in a self-defense situation.

I can't agree with this more. People in self defense situations/police have hard enough times hitting center mass in a volatile situation, never mind expecting to have what would be considered impeccable accuracy at the best of times.

Also expecting someone to run away just because you're holding what appears to be a handgun is extremely naive and dangerous thinking. 

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro