Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Unfortunately yes for me, I shot it once and the revolver almost flew out of my hand because the handle was small. Scared the crap out of me.

It should be noted that if you get a full size gun -- such as one chambered for 357, the 38 special is a baby round.  In fact, when I first shot 38, it was out of a Dirty Harry Special.  I didn't realize it was a 38 I was shooting, though, and the gun didn't even recoil.  It was a very weird experience.  Had it been an auto loader, I would have double checked the chamber to make sure the action cycled properly.  I had largely the same experience today.  Honestly, neither 357 nor 38 are too bad out of a full size revolver.  I wouldn't have thought a 38 would be bad out of a snubbie, but given my experience with the 380, I'll take your word for it :) 

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

30 minutes ago, Rybo said:

It should be noted that if you get a full size gun -- such as one chambered for 357, the 38 special is a baby round.  In fact, when I first shot 38, it was out of a Dirty Harry Special.  I didn't realize it was a 38 I was shooting, though, and the gun didn't even recoil.  It was a very weird experience.  Had it been an auto loader, I would have double checked the chamber to make sure the action cycled properly.  I had largely the same experience today.  Honestly, neither 357 nor 38 are too bad out of a full size revolver.  I wouldn't have thought a 38 would be bad out of a snubbie, but given my experience with the 380, I'll take your word for it :) 

I need to shoot a handgun sized in .38 so I can experience it. 

If it is anything like the super .380 my dad has it wont have much of a kick.

If they made the snubbie with a larger handle it would be fine, but then I guess it would look odd, lol. Small revolver large handle.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 hours ago, vf1000ride said:

Arisaka?  What caliber?

Type 99, original 7.7x58 chambering.

Since the ammo is hard to find, I'm considering buying up some reloading equipment and reshaping 30-06 brass to make my own ammo.

A girl who loves to love.

7 minutes ago, Aimi said:

Since the ammo is hard to find, I'm considering buying up some reloading equipment and reshaping 30-06 brass to make my own ammo.

If you want to put some rounds through it and get some brass, look for PPU ammo. Places like MidwayUSA or Grafs should have brass in that caliber. 

Edit:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102144630?pid=541858

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/239?

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/775?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Just now, Aimi said:

I have a progressive press.  I hate the blasted thing (I'm actually interested in selling it, incidentally).  The quality of the raw materials is just too inconsistent.  I even got a batch of brass that, despite me going over the entire things with calipers, I can't tell a difference between them and the nice stuff, but it still fails to eject nearly half the time.  I don't understand it.  Then while I was using it, I became pedantic about collecting my brass, which is nigh impossible in grassy fields.  Even in an indoor range, my brass recovery couldn't have been more than 60%.  So basically you can get cheap brass and actually save money on ammo (and have a miserable time clearing malfunctions) or get nice brass and lose money versus just buying bulk ammo unless you crawl across the ground looking for every last piece of metal on the ground.  Blech.  NGL, actually assembling the ammo is pretty neat, though.  It's cool conducting the orchestra of moving parts on the press :)

Never tried rifle caliber reloads before.  I can't imagine it's too difficult; just gotta make sure your brass is lubed properly before the reshaping.  The rest should be similar to pistol caliber reloads.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

7 minutes ago, Rybo said:

I have a progressive press.  I hate the blasted thing (I'm actually interested in selling it, incidentally).  The quality of the raw materials is just too inconsistent.  I even got a batch of brass that, despite me going over the entire things with calipers, I can't tell a difference between them and the nice stuff, but it still fails to eject nearly half the time.  I don't understand it.  Then while I was using it, I became pedantic about collecting my brass, which is nigh impossible in grassy fields.  Even in an indoor range, my brass recovery couldn't have been more than 60%.  So basically you can get cheap brass and actually save money on ammo (and have a miserable time clearing malfunctions) or get nice brass and lose money versus just buying bulk ammo unless you crawl across the ground looking for every last piece of metal on the ground.  Blech.  NGL, actually assembling the ammo is pretty neat, though.  It's cool conducting the orchestra of moving parts on the press :)

Never tried rifle caliber reloads before.  I can't imagine it's too difficult; just gotta make sure your brass is lubed properly before the reshaping.  The rest should be similar to pistol caliber reloads.  

I started on necked rifle rounds and there are many similarities between them and straight-cased pistol, but also a few differences. On the one hand you don't have to flare the mouth on jacketed rifle rounds, but on the other you have to be careful with not getting lubricant buildup around the shoulder in your sizing die and on your case, because you can deform brass that way. Neither is more complicated than the other unless you're used to slamming pistol brass through a carbide sizer.

I have an old RCBS Jr2 from the 60's, beefy old iron single-stage; It's great. Check eBay, Gunbroker, and etc. for used presses, you can sometimes save a bunch of money that way.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

3 hours ago, Aimi said:

If you didn't already have these links.  Basically ammo search engines.

https://ammoseek.com/

https://www.wikiarms.com/

As for the reloading them yourself thing.  I do that for almost every gun I own.  Like other have said sometimes the pistol and even 223 is borderline on too much effort for the cost savings.  Stuff like your 7.7 are worth reloading.  I do .303 brit, .30-06 (M2 ball for my garands), 7.65x53 Argentine and I am currently trying to figure out 8x50R Hungarian as well as a bunch of standard pistol and other rifle loads.  If your starting out new to reloading and mainly doing rifle ammo I would say stick with a single stage press like the old standby RCBS rockchucker or equivalent.  Once you want to move up to higher production rates or pistol ammo, then get the progressive systems.

Here's a pic of some of my reloading gear.  An old RCBS JR single stage and the Lee loadmaster progressive.

IMG_20151105_152253123.jpg

1 hour ago, vf1000ride said:

If you didn't already have these links.  Basically ammo search engines.

https://ammoseek.com/

https://www.wikiarms.com/

As for the reloading them yourself thing.  I do that for almost every gun I own.  Like other have said sometimes the pistol and even 223 is borderline on too much effort for the cost savings.  Stuff like your 7.7 are worth reloading.  I do .303 brit, .30-06 (M2 ball for my garands), 7.65x53 Argentine and I am currently trying to figure out 8x50R Hungarian as well as a bunch of standard pistol and other rifle loads.  If your starting out new to reloading and mainly doing rifle ammo I would say stick with a single stage press like the old standby RCBS rockchucker or equivalent.  Once you want to move up to higher production rates or pistol ammo, then get the progressive systems.

Here's a pic of some of my reloading gear.  An old RCBS JR single stage and the Lee loadmaster progressive.

What're you doing for 7.65 Argentine loads? Are you loading for an 1891 or a 1909? I ask because I've just gotten into that caliber, I have an old antique Montgomery Ward 1891 sporter rifle that I've just loaded some cartridges for. On the low end since it's a small ring Mauser though. It just so happens that the load data for my .45-70 Trapdoor loads and the 7.65 Argentine conveniently use the same primer, powder, and charge weight, but it's always interesting to hear what other people are doing with a cartridge.

I also agree about .223, such fiddly little cases and projectiles, plus it's still relatively cheap in these parts. Not to mention, most rifle platforms in .223 ding the brass up something fierce, and it stretches a bit.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, vf1000ride said:

Yeah I've considered reloading for others as well. I have my dad's old S&W 629-1 and I definitely plan to reload for that as well. No plans for anything else though, maybe if I get a larger collection in the future I'll invest in more equipment.

A girl who loves to love.

My dream loader is the Dillon Mark 7 Oops I meant the Dillon XL 750 add the Mark 7 drive function and that thing would pay for itself.

Great for clubs.

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

16 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

My dream loader is the Dillon Mark 7 Oops I meant the Dillon XL 750 add the Mark 7 drive function and that thing would pay for itself.

Great for clubs.

I've considered getting a more automated machine.  With my Lee I can average about 300-400 an hour for pistol rounds.  The limiting factor other than supplies is that my arm starts to get really tired around the 1000rd mark.  Gotta say though if you don't think reloading 1000 rounds a day will keep you supplied I want to be your friend.  :)

4 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

I've considered getting a more automated machine.  With my Lee I can average about 300-400 an hour for pistol rounds.  The limiting factor other than supplies is that my arm starts to get really tired around the 1000rd mark.  Gotta say though if you don't think reloading 1000 rounds a day will keep you supplied I want to be your friend.  :)

I like to reload once a month, and I am lazy.

I enjoy shooting over reloading, though reloading is cost saving over time, there are some other things i like to do instead of spending a couple hours reloading ammo.

My ideal situation: Load hoppers > walk away > do something else > come back 2 hours later and wha la.. ammo.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 6/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, fpo said:

I saw someone shoot ballistic jel with a 5.7. It dumped almost all of its energy upon impact leaving a huge crater. The tiny shrapnel went really deep. 

I was researching 5.56/.223 the other day and saw that some shootings were committed with fn 5.7s but didn’t look at that data. 

5.7 was designed purely to penetrate armour, where a .223 isn't, so terminally they're vastly different. And in regard to @Rybo a how a rifle caliber acts on impact completely depends on a plethora of factors (range, caliber, ammo type (i.e. ball, hollow point, Polymer Tipped, etc, etc), velocity, etc). There's plenty of calibers that will zip through plenty of soft tissue targets and come out virtually unscathed

EDIT: Side note, I just realized this thread existed, and it makes me very happy.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

On 6/2/2020 at 2:25 PM, pinksnowbirdie said:

I'm kinda interested in Walther in part for their sponsorship of Louder With Crowder lol

That's basically the reason I have any Walthers.  They're good guns to be sure, but their one distinguishing factor is their grip -- which is very good, mind you, but that doesn't really set it apart to the extent that gun dealers specifically recommend them.  When they sponsored him, though, that put them at the top of my list :) 

They are good guns in their own rights, though!  I'm very happy with the ones I have (CCP, PPQ, Q5 Match), and until someone comes out with a slim DA/SA single stack 9mm, the CCP is a gun I carry regularly when I don't feel like having a full sized rig on my hip.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

18 hours ago, Statik said:

EDIT: Side note, I just realized this thread existed, and it makes me very happy

Welcome to the thread!

20 hours ago, Statik said:

EDIT: Side note, I just realized this thread existed, and it makes me very happy.

One of us! One of us!

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Does anyone here dabble in long range shooting? I haven't scrolled back much but there seems a lot of AR/Handgun talk but not many long range goons.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

7 hours ago, Statik said:

Does anyone here dabble in long range shooting? I haven't scrolled back much but there seems a lot of AR/Handgun talk but not many long range goons.

I was hoping to do some long range, 1000yard, shooting this summer.  Mostly depending on how things go with gun ranges opening back up were I live.  This stupid covid thing put a big delay on it for me.  A buddy of mine has a Savage 110 tactical in .308 and I have one of my M1 Garands they we are looking to do it with.  Up to this point though I haven't shot past 500yards.

On 6/6/2020 at 6:04 PM, vf1000ride said:

I was hoping to do some long range, 1000yard, shooting this summer.  Mostly depending on how things go with gun ranges opening back up were I live.  This stupid covid thing put a big delay on it for me.  A buddy of mine has a Savage 110 tactical in .308 and I have one of my M1 Garands they we are looking to do it with.  Up to this point though I haven't shot past 500yards.

That's awesome. I'm quite the fan of long range/precision shooting, it's kinda my shit. I've personally only shot .308 out to ~800metres (~900 yards), but I know for a fact it can reach 1000m with some effort. I've only pushed my current .308, a Tikka T3x, to I believe 600m (650 yards). I won't be able to get it out this summer but next year I want to put a KRG Bravo and some nice glass on it and push it to 1000.

Also how do you like your Garand? I'd love one.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 hour ago, Statik said:

That's awesome. I'm quite the fan of long range/precision shooting, it's kinda my shit. I've personally only shot .308 out to ~800metres (~900 yards), but I know for a fact it can reach 1000m with some effort. I've only pushed my current .308, a Tikka T3x, to I believe 600m (650 yards). I won't be able to get it out this summer but next year I want to put a KRG Bravo and some nice glass on it and push it to 1000.

Also how do you like your Garand? I'd love one.

We are working up custom loads to help get them out to 1000Yards.  It's a Sierra 175gr Match bullet and amazingly it's looking like both our guns are shooting fairly well with the same bullet even though the Garand is in .30-06 and his is 308.  We still have some fine tuning to do to see what each gun likes the best but we have our velocity and powder charges figured out, now just to find what combination gets the best accuracy.

I love my Garands, it actually the first large bore rifle I ever purchased and I currently have 3 of them.  As for the one I'm using for the long range shoot, It's a pre-WWII Springfield Armory made gun.  It's been probably 18 years or so that I had the gun rebuilt by a specialist in that rifle type.  It's a Barnett medium weight match barrel, new old stock gas system, sights and all metal parts for the stock are new.  The stock itself is a custom hybrid walnut, and every piece of metal was fully refinished to have a matching parkerizing.  I used to shoot military style rifle competitions with it but it has been years since I have had the time a extra money to do that.  Gotta get the thing back out of the safe and enjoy it.  Even if I never get a hit at 1000yards with it, at least I said I tried, and if I do hit,  woohooo. :)

IMG_5557.JPG

43 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

We are working up custom loads to help get them out to 1000Yards.  It's a Sierra 175gr Match bullet and amazingly it's looking like both our guns are shooting fairly well with the same bullet even though the Garand is in .30-06 and his is 308.  We still have some fine tuning to do to see what each gun likes the best but we have our velocity and powder charges figured out, now just to find what combination gets the best accuracy.

I love my Garands, it actually the first large bore rifle I ever purchased and I currently have 3 of them.  As for the one I'm using for the long range shoot, It's a pre-WWII Springfield Armory made gun.  It's been probably 18 years or so that I had the gun rebuilt by a specialist in that rifle type.  It's a Barnett medium weight match barrel, new old stock gas system, sights and all metal parts for the stock are new.  The stock itself is a custom hybrid walnut, and every piece of metal was fully refinished to have a matching parkerizing.  I used to shoot military style rifle competitions with it but it has been years since I have had the time a extra money to do that.  Gotta get the thing back out of the safe and enjoy it.  Even if I never get a hit at 1000yards with it, at least I said I tried, and if I do hit,  woohooo. :)

IMG_5557.JPG

That's an absolute beauty.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Made a little more progress on the SBR this weekend. Got a PWS enhanced buffer tube and LaRue MBT-2S trigger in.

The lower is almost done, next month I'll buy a CTR stock and JP captured buffer and the lower will be complete.

20200612-133043.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Made a little more progress on the SBR this weekend. Got a PWS enhanced buffer tube and LaRue MBT-2S trigger in.

The lower is almost done, next month I'll buy a CTR stock and JP captured buffer and the lower will be complete.

20200612-133043.jpg

What are your plans for the rest of it?

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

11 minutes ago, Statik said:

What are your plans for the rest of it?

JP Enterprises captured buffer

Magpul CTR stock

ToolCraft NiB BCG

12" LaRue .223 Wylde barrel

11" SLR Rifleworks Solo Lite rail

SLR Rifleworks titanium adjustable gas block

YHM Turbo T2 suppressor <- In NFA jail :(

Trijicon MRO in an ADM QD mount <- Already owned

Modlight PLH V2

Troy BUIS

I'm gonna steal the MRO off of my 16" LaRue build and probably order a Vortex Razor 1-10 for that and update the receivers to the other ADM set I have, so these two rifles will be fairly matching.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

JP Enterprises captured buffer

Magpul CTR stock

ToolCraft NiB BCG

12" LaRue .223 Wylde barrel

11" SLR Rifleworks Solo Lite rail

SLR Rifleworks titanium adjustable gas block

YHM Turbo T2 suppressor <- In NFA jail :(

Trijicon MRO in an ADM QD mount <- Already owned

Modlight PLH V2

Troy BUIS

I'm gonna steal the MRO off of my 16" LaRue build and probably order a Vortex Razor 1-10 for that and update the receivers to the other ADM set I have, so these two rifles will be fairly matching.

That makes me weak in the knees. Being Canadian is actually a savior when it comes to not spending all my money on stuff like that.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro