Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack.EXE

Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Apparently Colt is halting AR-15 production.

They claim it's due to lack of demand.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can believe it.  IMO Colt has their stuff overpriced and sells on brand recognition alone.

You have many other reputable brands for the same price or cheaper than they are.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.  Here's what I got so far.  

Keep in mind I'm still grabbing multiplatform games on PC, unless they happen to be cheaper on PS4 or Switch (such as RDR2 as of right now)

Currently Playing:  

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch

Games Beaten:

• God of War - PS4
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Switch

(will be reset at the beginning of each month)

Put on hold:

• Splatoon 2 - Switch

How many games I'm needing:

• DS: 82
  • Wii: 38
  • 360/PS3: 84
  • 3DS: 60
  • Wii U: 6
  • PS Vita: 34
  • PS4: 20
  • Switch: 16

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Colt sells milspec stuff for significantly more than it's worth. They charge ~$700 for a milspec M4 style upper, $1000 for the rifle. To put that in context, Smith and Wesson sells their M&P15 Sport II RIFLE, a milspec M4 style AR15 of the same quality (being generous to Colt), for under $600.

Ruger, same product as S&W, also under $600.

Core15, $720.

Del-Ton Echo, $450.

DPMS LCAR, $460.

Diamond Back, $500.

Colt stagnated. Less than no innovation, as their bread and butter guns, the 1911 and AR15, were designed by John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner (as well as Jim Sullivan's improvements when downscaling the AR10 to make the AR15), respectively.  Quality isn't there either.

And the kicker is that most of their handgun offerings are 1911s ranging from sub par to average at best, and their 1903, to which only military collectors MIGHT care about. The only rifles they carry are overpriced AR15s and 10s with no differentiating qualities (other than a cheapish 6.5 Creedmore). Revolvers consist of the lackluster Cobra snub nose, Single Action Army, and King Cobra (which does nothing to stand out from the less expensive Smith & Wessons). The only thing going for them is legacy.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

i dont have a general fav of guns but you gotta admit the wood finish on some of them look good 

*Me glares at ak*

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

I can believe it.  IMO Colt has their stuff overpriced and sells on brand recognition alone.

You have many other reputable brands for the same price or cheaper than they are.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Colt sells milspec stuff for significantly more than it's worth. They charge ~$700 for a milspec M4 style upper, $1000 for the rifle. To put that in context, Smith and Wesson sells their M&P15 Sport II RIFLE, a milspec M4 style AR15 of the same quality (being generous to Colt), for under $600.

Ruger, same product as S&W, also under $600.

Core15, $720.

Del-Ton Echo, $450.

DPMS LCAR, $460.

Diamond Back, $500.

Colt stagnated. Less than no innovation, as their bread and butter guns, the 1911 and AR15, were designed by John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner (as well as Jim Sullivan's improvements when downscaling the AR10 to make the AR15), respectively.  Quality isn't there either.

And the kicker is that most of their handgun offerings are 1911s ranging from sub par to average at best, and their 1903, to which only military collectors MIGHT care about. The only rifles they carry are overpriced AR15s and 10s with no differentiating qualities (other than a cheapish 6.5 Creedmore). Revolvers consist of the lackluster Cobra snub nose, Single Action Army, and King Cobra (which does nothing to stand out from the less expensive Smith & Wessons). The only thing going for them is legacy.

When it comes to Colt, if there's no snake in the name, it can pound sand, and even that's not a given anymore

AR parts are so ubiquitous now, and the pressure/metallurgy testing and staking that Colt used to corner the market on, are fairly standard on any reputable rifle these days. No reason to spend extra on a Colt, not with the dozens of quality receiver manufacturers and hundreds of armorer companies making them now. Building a quality AR yourself is nothing these days as well, with a few tools and an hour or so of time.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

5 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

/metallurgy testing and staking that Colt used to corner the market on

Metallurgy of AR recievers is the same across the board, as all the blanks come from one of 3 (or 5, don't remember off the top of my head) companies. Gun manufacturers like Colt, DPMS, Odin Works, Faxon, Bushmaster, Aero Precision, etc. just do the final milling.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I don't think Colt has been at the top of their game in decades.  They stagnated for too long sucking at the government teat while other manufacturers had to innovate to survive in the open market. I own a Colt HBAR and it had a terrible stock trigger and fit and finish was worse than my Bushmaster, a brand not known for its quality control.  I hate to see them leave the consumer space instead of innovating to compete but I think they've fallen too far behind.  The next time their government contract runs out may be the end for them.  I fear the next time they return to the civilian market they'll be way too far behind the competition to save themselves.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

On 9/21/2019 at 8:11 AM, Corrupt_Liberty said:

The next time their government contract runs out may be the end for them.

Adapt to market forces, or perish.

Unless you are GM.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

On 9/23/2019 at 4:54 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Adapt to market forces, or perish.

Unless you are GM.

Yeah, I don't see any of these politicians rushing to bail out any firearms manufacturer. 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

10 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Yeah, I don't see any of these politicians rushing to bail out any firearms manufacturer. 

I get why they bailed out GM, after some reading and discussions with those who might have been affected.

I didn't like it, but I got it, but it's pretty clear the gov't would be more than happy to let all gun makers perish, and several in gov't are actively trying to find ways to make that happen.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

It's light upgrade time!

And in an effort to broaden my horizons, this is my first ever non-surefire weapon light, a Modlight PLH-18650, but I'm a creature of habit so I picked up a Surefire DS tailswitch and Surefire SR-07 tapeswitch. 

I'm still waiting on the Cloud Defense tape switch mount, so for now the tapeswitch is only clipped over the rail and not ziptied (which is what I hate about this switch) on. 

I can't wait for it to get dark to see the difference. 

20190928-144417.jpg

I'm using an Arisaka Mlok offset scout light mount which keeps it about as tight as I can to the front sight. 

20190928-150640.jpg

20190928-150615.jpg

The rifle is a little dirty in this pic, but this is how it's sitting at this time:

20190928-150757.jpg

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

On 9/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, Real_PhillBert said:

It's light upgrade time!

And in an effort to broaden my horizons, this is my first ever non-surefire weapon light, a Modlight PLH-18650, but I'm a creature of habit so I picked up a Surefire DS tailswitch and Surefire SR-07 tapeswitch. 

I'm still waiting on the Cloud Defense tape switch mount, so for now the tapeswitch is only clipped over the rail and not ziptied (which is what I hate about this switch) on. 

I can't wait for it to get dark to see the difference. 

20190928-144417.jpg

I'm using an Arisaka Mlok offset scout light mount which keeps it about as tight as I can to the front sight. 

20190928-150640.jpg

20190928-150615.jpg

The rifle is a little dirty in this pic, but this is how it's sitting at this time:

20190928-150757.jpg

beautiful! How do you like the mro? I want a setup like that!

Victor F. 

My hobbies include: machining, electronics, radiation, and guns

DESKTOP: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  Motherboard: MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon COOLER: Corsair h100i pro RAM: Corsair Vegenence DDR4-3000 SSD: Samsung 970 Pro GPU: MSI GTX1070 Ti Titanium

LAPTOP: Apple MacBook Pro i7, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd. (2018 model) 

CAMERA: Panasonic Lumix G85

PHONE: iPhone 7 

DRONE: Dji Mavic Pro

11 hours ago, anonvx said:

beautiful! How do you like the mro? I want a setup like that!

I really like the MRO, it's a big step up from the Vortex Strikefire 2 and Vortex Spark I've had on the rifle before. 

I've had the MRO on this rifle for almost a year now, I leave it on 24/7 and this rifle gets shot ~ 200 rounds a month or so and I've never changed the battery. With my RMR I change the battery on the 1st of the year, and I plan to do the same with the MRO. 

I got it without a mount from PSA for $325 shipped, so if you keep your eyes open you can find good deals.

CPU: i7-4790k MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Gene RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 w/ Noctua NF-A14s 

GPU: Asus Strix GTX-980 Case: Corsair 350D PSU: Corsair AX-760i Storage: 2 x 500GB Evo RAID 0 + 2 x 2TB WD Green's in RAID 1 

PF9 blew up this afternoon. looking for a replacement. Looking at a Shield... ...maybe.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 hours ago, knightslugger said:

PF9 blew up this afternoon. looking for a replacement. Looking at a Shield... ...maybe.

Highly recommend the Shield 2.0.  Now my opinion is just a sample size of one, but as someone who loves sub compact (and actually compact) 9mm and 380s, the Shield 2.0 is my favorite of them.

It has better trigger pull than the 1.0 plus forward slide serrations, if either of those are important to you.

Either way, with a shield you can't go wrong.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.  Here's what I got so far.  

Keep in mind I'm still grabbing multiplatform games on PC, unless they happen to be cheaper on PS4 or Switch (such as RDR2 as of right now)

Currently Playing:  

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Switch
  • Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch

Games Beaten:

• God of War - PS4
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Switch

(will be reset at the beginning of each month)

Put on hold:

• Splatoon 2 - Switch

How many games I'm needing:

• DS: 82
  • Wii: 38
  • 360/PS3: 84
  • 3DS: 60
  • Wii U: 6
  • PS Vita: 34
  • PS4: 20
  • Switch: 16

On 10/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, kaiju_wars said:

Highly recommend the Shield 2.0.  Now my opinion is just a sample size of one, but as someone who loves sub compact (and actually compact) 9mm and 380s, the Shield 2.0 is my favorite of them.

It has better trigger pull than the 1.0 plus forward slide serrations, if either of those are important to you.

Either way, with a shield you can't go wrong.

So i shot a P365 rental the other day (they didn't have a shield to rent) and compared the triggers. Not a fan of the Shield's trigger. The Shield is longer, taller, and heavier, and doesn't have the capacity the P365 has. Sig has the better spec'd handgun.

However

The Hellcat could be a game changer, at least for me. I am used to a Springfield trigger. it'll boil down to that for me i think. trigger break, physical dimensions (weight being a big one), and capacity.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2019/10/11/gunmageddon-ii-california-gov-signs-dozen-gun-control-bills

I know we try to steer clear of politics in this thread, but this is important information for our fellow gun loving members in Commiefornia.

If anyone uses 7.62x39 msg me I'd like to talk to you.

I am a disabled Vet who had his hands crushed. Typing is not the easiest thing. So if I misspelled something please understand. Thank you.

Tantibus venit ades profunde tenebris ubi diabolus in ingluviem dentibus maxillas novaculam ubi angeli sulphuris accendit plorat.

CPU Intel i7 9900k Motherboard ROG Maximus XI Code RAM 64gb DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Dominator GPU RTX 2080ti FE x 2 Case Corsair GRAPHITE 780T Storage 2 Western Digital Blue 4 TB HHDs, 1tb Western Digital SSD. Seagate Barracuda 2tb Hybrid drive, and  1 Western Digital M.2 1tb PSU Corsair HX 1200 Displays 1 Samsung U28D590 28in and 1 Samsung C49hg90DMN 49 Cooling Alphacool Eiswolf GPX Pro / Alphacool Eisbaer 240

On 10/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, knightslugger said:

So i shot a P365 rental the other day (they didn't have a shield to rent) and compared the triggers. Not a fan of the Shield's trigger. The Shield is longer, taller, and heavier, and doesn't have the capacity the P365 has. Sig has the better spec'd handgun.

However

The Hellcat could be a game changer, at least for me. I am used to a Springfield trigger. it'll boil down to that for me i think. trigger break, physical dimensions (weight being a big one), and capacity.

bought the Hellcat. like it so far.

System specs:

Hey gun gang, 

I've really been thinking on what more modern full-size handgun to get into. I've really been leaning towards an M&P 2.0 9mm. I've had the opportunity to shoot the gen 1 and it felt good. I've shot glocks and while I enjoyed them, I found them to be blocky and maybe not for me.

For you guys who have maybe several of the major offerings (Glock, M&P, XD-series and so on), which have you ultimately gravitated towards most?

2 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

I've really been thinking on what more modern full-size handgun to get into.

What's a modern handgun in your eyes?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Student 1 in the classroom: Hey, check out my MP3

spacer.png

Student 2 in the classroom: Nah mate, check out my Apple MP4

spacer.png

Quiet student in the classroom: Why don't ya check out my MP5 instead. Free Amazon delivery to another dimension.

spacer.png

Everyone in the classroom:

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

Hey gun gang, 

I've really been thinking on what more modern full-size handgun to get into. I've really been leaning towards an M&P 2.0 9mm. I've had the opportunity to shoot the gen 1 and it felt good. I've shot glocks and while I enjoyed them, I found them to be blocky and maybe not for me.

For you guys who have maybe several of the major offerings (Glock, M&P, XD-series and so on), which have you ultimately gravitated towards most?

Take a look at the Sig P320 platform, about as modern as you can get, feels great to shoot, and highly customizable with the grip modules