Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
Just now, kaiju_wars said:

All three infinitely better than the type of revolver he got for concealed carry.

Nah. Just tell him to throw it, and aim for the crotch.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

He wanted a "big caliber like .40 or .45"  
I was so freaking close to getting him leaving with an M&P Shield 2.0 .45, M&P Shield .380 EZ, or Glock 48.

All three infinitely better than the type of revolver he got for concealed carry.

Haven't you always wanted to conceal carry a boat anchor?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nah. Just tell him to throw it, and aim for the crotch.

Oh you're out of your six shots?  Just chuck it.  Can't put in a fresh mag or quickly pop the cylinder.

6 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Haven't you always wanted to conceal carry a boat anchor?

I used to carry a compact 1911 chambered in .45.  My goal since then has been slowly getting away from that and finding middle ground from one extreme to the next (one being an all steel 1911, down to a tiny LCP.)

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Oh you're out of your six shots?  Just chuck it.  Can't put in a fresh mag or quickly pop the cylinder.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

He got a fullsized, 6" Heritage 357 Mag revolver, that the cylinder doesn't even flip out, it's like an old fashioned Colt single action to unload it.

I'd say chucking it as hard as you can is the right answer here.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I used to carry a compact 1911 chambered in .45.  My goal since then has been slowly getting away from that and finding middle ground from one extreme to the next (one being an all steel 1911, down to a tiny LCP.)

I've had a P3AT forever, not the best nor worst, but it's always worked.

I managed sales at an FFL for a while, and convincing people of something sensible to carry was always difficult. Yeah, a fullsize seems great and generally fits a hand better than something small like a J-frame S&W or a P3AT, but no one seemed to realize how much a good concealment holster cost, and the amount of effort it took to carry something like a G22 or a 1911. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

20 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'd say chucking it as hard as you can is the right answer here.

Right?  Then go and buy something a little more practical.

Thing is I know he likes .357 magnum too, I tried getting him to look at snub nose revolvers.  He can still have his .357, but in something much more practical to carry.

16 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

I've had a P3AT forever, not the best nor worst, but it's always worked.

I managed sales at an FFL for a while, and convincing people of something sensible to carry was always difficult. Yeah, a fullsize seems great and generally fits a hand better than something small like a J-frame S&W or a P3AT, but no one seemed to realize how much a good concealment holster cost, and the amount of effort it took to carry something like a G22 or a 1911. 

I settled on the M&P Shield 2.0.  I love it.  As for concealed handguns.  I always tell people, "not everyone can conceal a Glock 19.  Just because it's one of the most popular options doesn't mean that's what you have to start out with."  I always try to convince them to go to the middle ground.  Something like an M&P Shield 380 EZ, Shield 2.0, Glock 43X, stuff like that.  Some people don't learn.

Honestly, with my buddy, I think what I'll finally have to get him to settle on is a hammer fired DA/SA Bersa.  At least it'd be more practical to carry.

I carry a Makarov.

Filled with hollow points. Quick, slim, accurate, it's enough.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I carry a Makarov.

Filled with hollow points. Quick, slim, accurate, it's enough.

I had the PA-63.  Well I still own it, but it fucking hurts to shoot.  It has too light of a recoil spring, and it's an aluminum alloy frame. 

18 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

hurts to shoot

Interesting, I always felt the 9x18 round was quite light on recoil, but then again my Mak is all steel, so the recoil is properly dampened.

I also have a CZ-52, but it's so picky about ammo that it's not good except for a plinking pistol

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Interesting, I always felt the 9x18 round was quite light on recoil, but then again my Mak is all steel, so the recoil is properly dampened.

I also have a CZ-52, but it's so picky about ammo that it's not good except for a plinking pistol

Yeah, 9 mak isn’t a snappy round in and of itself.  Just the pistol I’m talking about.  The FEG PA-63 is known to be particularly snappy.

We were having an interesting conversation on another forum i frequent about ATF definitions regarding DD's.

1/4oz of charge in a projectile makes a DD, but a missile can have 1/4 lbs.

this made me cringe a bit. a missile isn't what you think it is. historically and contemporarilly, a missile is any object propelled by force at a target. Think back to the days of the trebuchet and other catapults. every stone, arrow, and BP filled coconut was considered a missile. and still is.

so i ask... is a morter or M203 not a modern day catapult? and isn't a modern missile just a rocket assisted projectile? how does this make any sense?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 hours ago, knightslugger said:

We were having an interesting conversation on another forum i frequent about ATF definitions regarding DD's.

1/4oz of charge in a projectile makes a DD, but a missile can have 1/4 lbs.

this made me cringe a bit. a missile isn't what you think it is. historically and contemporarilly, a missile is any object propelled by force at a target. Think back to the days of the trebuchet and other catapults. every stone, arrow, and BP filled coconut was considered a missile. and still is.

so i ask... is a morter or M203 not a modern day catapult? and isn't a modern missile just a rocket assisted projectile? how does this make any sense?

Trying to make sense of the ATFs definitions is an exercise in futility; they're all completely arbitrary. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Trying to make sense of the ATFs definitions is an exercise in futility; they're all completely arbitrary. 

i know, but how in the hell is one supposed to stay on the right side of things when we are presented with crap like this?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Apparently Colt is halting AR-15 production.

They claim it's due to lack of demand.

I can believe it.  IMO Colt has their stuff overpriced and sells on brand recognition alone.

You have many other reputable brands for the same price or cheaper than they are.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Apparently Colt is halting AR-15 production.

They claim it's due to lack of demand.

Colt sells milspec stuff for significantly more than it's worth. They charge ~$700 for a milspec M4 style upper, $1000 for the rifle. To put that in context, Smith and Wesson sells their M&P15 Sport II RIFLE, a milspec M4 style AR15 of the same quality (being generous to Colt), for under $600.

Ruger, same product as S&W, also under $600.

Core15, $720.

Del-Ton Echo, $450.

DPMS LCAR, $460.

Diamond Back, $500.

Colt stagnated. Less than no innovation, as their bread and butter guns, the 1911 and AR15, were designed by John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner (as well as Jim Sullivan's improvements when downscaling the AR10 to make the AR15), respectively.  Quality isn't there either.

And the kicker is that most of their handgun offerings are 1911s ranging from sub par to average at best, and their 1903, to which only military collectors MIGHT care about. The only rifles they carry are overpriced AR15s and 10s with no differentiating qualities (other than a cheapish 6.5 Creedmore). Revolvers consist of the lackluster Cobra snub nose, Single Action Army, and King Cobra (which does nothing to stand out from the less expensive Smith & Wessons). The only thing going for them is legacy.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

i dont have a general fav of guns but you gotta admit the wood finish on some of them look good 

*Me glares at ak*

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

I can believe it.  IMO Colt has their stuff overpriced and sells on brand recognition alone.

You have many other reputable brands for the same price or cheaper than they are.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Colt sells milspec stuff for significantly more than it's worth. They charge ~$700 for a milspec M4 style upper, $1000 for the rifle. To put that in context, Smith and Wesson sells their M&P15 Sport II RIFLE, a milspec M4 style AR15 of the same quality (being generous to Colt), for under $600.

Ruger, same product as S&W, also under $600.

Core15, $720.

Del-Ton Echo, $450.

DPMS LCAR, $460.

Diamond Back, $500.

Colt stagnated. Less than no innovation, as their bread and butter guns, the 1911 and AR15, were designed by John Moses Browning and Eugene Stoner (as well as Jim Sullivan's improvements when downscaling the AR10 to make the AR15), respectively.  Quality isn't there either.

And the kicker is that most of their handgun offerings are 1911s ranging from sub par to average at best, and their 1903, to which only military collectors MIGHT care about. The only rifles they carry are overpriced AR15s and 10s with no differentiating qualities (other than a cheapish 6.5 Creedmore). Revolvers consist of the lackluster Cobra snub nose, Single Action Army, and King Cobra (which does nothing to stand out from the less expensive Smith & Wessons). The only thing going for them is legacy.

When it comes to Colt, if there's no snake in the name, it can pound sand, and even that's not a given anymore

AR parts are so ubiquitous now, and the pressure/metallurgy testing and staking that Colt used to corner the market on, are fairly standard on any reputable rifle these days. No reason to spend extra on a Colt, not with the dozens of quality receiver manufacturers and hundreds of armorer companies making them now. Building a quality AR yourself is nothing these days as well, with a few tools and an hour or so of time.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

5 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

/metallurgy testing and staking that Colt used to corner the market on

Metallurgy of AR recievers is the same across the board, as all the blanks come from one of 3 (or 5, don't remember off the top of my head) companies. Gun manufacturers like Colt, DPMS, Odin Works, Faxon, Bushmaster, Aero Precision, etc. just do the final milling.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I don't think Colt has been at the top of their game in decades.  They stagnated for too long sucking at the government teat while other manufacturers had to innovate to survive in the open market. I own a Colt HBAR and it had a terrible stock trigger and fit and finish was worse than my Bushmaster, a brand not known for its quality control.  I hate to see them leave the consumer space instead of innovating to compete but I think they've fallen too far behind.  The next time their government contract runs out may be the end for them.  I fear the next time they return to the civilian market they'll be way too far behind the competition to save themselves.  

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

On 9/21/2019 at 8:11 AM, Corrupt_Liberty said:

The next time their government contract runs out may be the end for them.

Adapt to market forces, or perish.

Unless you are GM.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:54 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Adapt to market forces, or perish.

Unless you are GM.

Yeah, I don't see any of these politicians rushing to bail out any firearms manufacturer. 

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

10 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Yeah, I don't see any of these politicians rushing to bail out any firearms manufacturer. 

I get why they bailed out GM, after some reading and discussions with those who might have been affected.

I didn't like it, but I got it, but it's pretty clear the gov't would be more than happy to let all gun makers perish, and several in gov't are actively trying to find ways to make that happen.