Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

Emailed Remington and Winchester about my old 870 Wingmaster and the old Model 1300.

The 870 was made in 1976, the 1300 was made in 1989. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

TFB TV Discord got mad at me.  My coworker was letting me try out his G19 for conceal carry.  He let me try out his Tier 1 holster, among the other holsters we sell.  I couldn't find a comfortable way to carry it, and no matter what I tried, it kept printing.

Like the G19 is just too big for me to conceal carry.  It's part of the reason I like to stick to actual compact and sub compact, single stack 9mms and 380s.  That's what I find I can conceal the best.  Cause you know, the whole point of conceal carry is to conceal the gun.

Anyways, I said, "I find it to big, let's be real, this recent trend of "compact" doublestack 9s really aren't compact.  They're midsized at best and more fullsized almost."

44 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

That's what I find I can conceal the best.  Cause you know, the whole point of conceal carry is to conceal the gun.

Most of the time I don't tuck in my shirt, which eliminates most issues with printing.  I have found that one of my shirts is extra tall (long), so I'm able to tuck it in and then pull it back up out to go over the top of my holster and gun.  I'm able to carry my P2000 double stack fully concealed in that manner.

Having said that, my work shirts are pretty tight on me, so I can only conceal carry there with my single stack Ruger.  Even then I get some occasional printing when I lean over, despite having my shirt not tucked in.

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Most of the time I don't tuck in my shirt, which eliminates most issues with printing.  I have found that one of my shirts is extra tall (long), so I'm able to tuck it in and then pull it back up out to go over the top of my holster and gun.  I'm able to carry my P2000 double stack fully concealed in that manner.

Having said that, my work shirts are pretty tight on me, so I can only conceal carry there with my single stack Ruger.  Even then I get some occasional printing when I lean over, despite having my shirt not tucked in.

I don't tuck in my t-shirts.  But I still have an issue with printing with the G19. 

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

TFB TV Discord got mad at me.  My coworker was letting me try out his G19 for conceal carry.  He let me try out his Tier 1 holster, among the other holsters we sell.  I couldn't find a comfortable way to carry it, and no matter what I tried, it kept printing.

Like the G19 is just too big for me to conceal carry.  It's part of the reason I like to stick to actual compact and sub compact, single stack 9mms and 380s.  That's what I find I can conceal the best.  Cause you know, the whole point of conceal carry is to conceal the gun.

Anyways, I said, "I find it to big, let's be real, this recent trend of "compact" doublestack 9s really aren't compact.  They're midsized at best and more fullsized almost."

Try the Glock 48 basically a single stack G19.  

As you say many of the compacts are not that compact. But you usually give up a good deal of shoot ability.   

2 minutes ago, JohnMc45 said:

Try the Glock 48 basically a single stack G19.  

As you say many of the compacts are not that compact. But you usually give up a good deal of shoot ability.   

I'm actually looking at the G43X, M&P 380 EZ, and M&P Shield M2.0

45 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I'm actually looking at the G43X, M&P 380 EZ, and M&P Shield M2.0

The G43X would be a good option. 

I wasn't a fan of the 43x myself, it's just not a nice gun to shoot imo. Have you tried a p365? It's double stack but around the same size as a 43x, and around the same width of a shield.

12 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

I wasn't a fan of the 43x myself, it's just not a nice gun to shoot imo. Have you tried a p365? It's double stack but around the same size as a 43x, and around the same width of a shield.

I have not.  I might look into it if it's roughly the same width, cause right now, I'm really loving the dimensions (and overall feel) of the 380 EZ.

41 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

Looked into it when I got a chance.  That is now on the list and has immediately tied with the 380 EZ.  These are the two final contenders for my next CCW.

16 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

Interesting. Haven't got a chance to fire the G48 or G43X but they felt good.  What where you using standard or +p loads? 

My AR15 has gone through so many changes. 

I am never happy with it, so I just keep changing it. 

My next upgarde will be a MI-G3M15-BLK tactical handguard. 

here is some pictures of the changes I've made and where it is now. 

Pretty much stock at this point, I modified a standard sling and worked pretty well.

smith-wesson_mp15_sport_2.thumb.jpg.f05a28bf85bcbbada92c6314fe7d6418.jpg

WP_20160323_20_02_49_Pro.thumb.jpg.cd76dc551f99c33f35a02971d1d7dd65.jpg

Upgraded the entire rifle with a Troy Alumn battlestock, Magpull grip, forward gripm magpull sling, and attachment points, light.

the scope was POS. the mag is a vice block. btw. this is a drop in handguard, I will be installing a free float MI soon.

WP_20170314_22_09_11_Pro.thumb.jpg.2924b28a1f09b79e7a52f6de547207e2.jpg

tried out this scope, another POS.

WP_20170423_13_21_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.dc1ecd63b7ad226f25e35f4d569b4ca6.jpg

Right now I am using a co-witness red dot, I thought I had a picture. I will update it as soon I take an updated photo.

PC1: Intel i7-6950X | EVGA X99 FTW | EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra | SBZ | ATH-M40x | 760T | Sapphire Pro 14 | G815 | Dark Core | 
Drives: 970Evo+, 980, SN750EK | 850Pro | 6x1TB RAID0 | WD RED 4TB | WD Blk 2TB | WD Blue 4TB 
Displays: (2) ASUS VG278Q | (2) ASUS VG279Q | (1) Vizio 40" 4K HDR

Build Log: https://builds.gg/builds/raid-red-rtx-ws-14981

14 hours ago, JohnMc45 said:

Interesting. Haven't got a chance to fire the G48 or G43X but they felt good.  What where you using standard or +p loads? 

Just standard FMJs, but my issue with it wasn't it being snappy or anything. My issue is the trigger, it's just as mediocre as every other glock, and in that small a package, the safety blade causes trigger finger blisters like nobody's business! All things you could totally fix with aftermarket parts like every glock, but I don't like to modify a gun I plan to carry.

I played with the P365 at the gun store today.  I gotta say, I'm really liking it.  It already knocked out the G43X and M&P Shield M2.0

It's now between the M&P 380 EZ and P365.

8 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I played with the P365 at the gun store today.  I gotta say, I'm really liking it.  It already knocked out the G43X and M&P Shield M2.0

It's now between the M&P 380 EZ and P365.

The 380 EZ is a neat gun, but it kinda has all the downsides of .380 without the one big upside when you’re looking at it for carry. .380 is just a little on on the wimpy side for defense, and you don’t even get the benefit of a super tiny gun like with an LCP or a colt/micro/p238/911. The 380 EZ is practically the size of a sub-compact 9mm.

Though that reminds me, a p938 might also be worth looking at. Very small and slim for 9mm, though the round count isn’t great because it’s single stack, and they are kinda pricey.

I know that having clips larger than 5 rounds stored with your gun is illegal in Canada, but what if it it's not with a gun? Would it be illegal for me to have a clip that holds over 5 rounds if I don't even have a gun?

I go out to the range with my mom (coolest mom ever award goes to) quite often and she has a 5-shot clip since that's all we can legally have here in Canada, where can I find a clip online that'll hold more? Really hard to get into the zone with only 5 shots. 

Already spoke to the range marshal, he's cool with it as long as it's not stored with the gun owner.  Regardless of legality, I'd like to have a banana clip but have 0 idea where to find one lol. 

Just a .22 riffle for anyone wondering, could barely break a bone with it. I need to lob in shots further than 50 yards lol

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

9 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

The 380 EZ is a neat gun, but it kinda has all the downsides of .380 without the one big upside when you’re looking at it for carry. .380 is just a little on on the wimpy side for defense, and you don’t even get the benefit of a super tiny gun like with an LCP or a colt/micro/p238/911. The 380 EZ is practically the size of a sub-compact 9mm.

Though that reminds me, a p938 might also be worth looking at. Very small and slim for 9mm, though the round count isn’t great because it’s single stack, and they are kinda pricey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

In real world scenarios... it comes up as statistically insignificant between .380 and 9mm. 

Looking more into the P365, it still looks like it has some issues.  I'm looking at the Shield M2.0 and the 380 EZ again.  I just love the ergos of the 380 EZ, but I love the size of the M2.0

Also, the 380 EZ is in between my current CCW and the Shield M2.0 in terms of size.

4 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

In real world scenarios... it comes up as statistically insignificant between .380 and 9mm. 

Looking more into the P365, it still looks like it has some issues.  I'm looking at the Shield M2.0 and the 380 EZ again.  I just love the ergos of the 380 EZ, but I love the size of the M2.0

Also, the 380 EZ is in between my current CCW and the Shield M2.0 in terms of size.

General ballistics are fine on .380, my hesitation comes from poor hollow point performance on them. The list of jhp rounds that spread properly on impact is tiny, and even then they only function as intended like 70% of the time.

As for the p365 issues, the current revision has pretty much wrangled all of the gremlins. I didn't buy one until now for this precise reason and after keeping an eye on them for around 1.5 years, I was finally convinced they had the kinks worked out. Several of my friends have the current version and have put thousands of rounds through them without issue, and another buddy who owns a local gun shop told me they haven't had any returns or warranty submissions for p365s since October when the current revision started shipping.

All in all though if you're really all about the 380 EZ then it might be the right CCW for you. I'd never carry one, but I'm not you lol

7 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

General ballistics are fine on .380, my hesitation comes from poor hollow point performance on them. The list of jhp rounds that spread properly on impact is tiny, and even then they only function as intended like 70% of the time.

As for the p365 issues, the current revision has pretty much wrangled all of the gremlins. I didn't buy one until now for this precise reason and after keeping an eye on them for around 1.5 years, I was finally convinced they had the kinks worked out. Several of my friends have the current version and have put thousands of rounds through them without issue, and another buddy who owns a local gun shop told me they haven't had any returns or warranty submissions for p365s since October when the current revision started shipping.

All in all though if you're really all about the 380 EZ then it might be the right CCW for you. I'd never carry one, but I'm not you lol

I'm not, that's just it.  One minute I'm loving the 380 EZ, the next it's the Shield M2.0 or the P365.  All three would be solid options and I'm probably over thinking it.  TBH, with aftermarket support, the Shield 2.0 would probably be the best bet.  It's two less than the P365, has reliability, it's thin and compact like I like, and it's comfortable to hold when I was holding one at my LGS.

35 minutes ago, Slumberjack said:

I have to agree with this. The 380EZ might be a great gun, but it's going to be held back by the fact that it's .380 ACP.

My issues with .380 is two fold:

1) it's more expensive than 9mm, which makes practicing more expensive.

and

2) There are pretty much no ammunition options that both expand and reach the 12" penetration minimum per the FBI standard, and that's just because there's not much energy behind a 90ish grain projectile moving at 900ish FPS.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP 

IMHO the Sig 938 (admittedly more expensive than the 380EZ) is about the best micro 9mm currently on the market, but the P365 is also a great choice.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

IMHO the Sig 938 (admittedly more expensive than the 380EZ) is about the best micro 9mm currently on the market, but the P365 is also a great choice.

The p938 is definitely an excellent little gun, though my own carry preferences trend toward striker or da/sa hammer guns over SA with a thumb safety, i'd probably still happily carry one if it was in my collection...though if I was buying a 1911 pattern pistol for carry it'd be a SW1911 9mm Pro Series

@kaiju_wars have you looked at revolvers at all out of curiosity? Since you're already leaning towards single stack, it seems like capacity isn't a huge factor for you, and the ruger lcr is a great carry gun. So is the s&w j-frame, though I personally hate how heavy the trigger is and think it's an unruly degree of snappy.

19 hours ago, Chronified said:

I know that having clips larger than 5 rounds stored with your gun is illegal in Canada, but what if it it's not with a gun? Would it be illegal for me to have a clip that holds over 5 rounds if I don't even have a gun?

I go out to the range with my mom (coolest mom ever award goes to) quite often and she has a 5-shot clip since that's all we can legally have here in Canada, where can I find a clip online that'll hold more? Really hard to get into the zone with only 5 shots. 

Already spoke to the range marshal, he's cool with it as long as it's not stored with the gun owner.  Regardless of legality, I'd like to have a banana clip but have 0 idea where to find one lol. 

Just a .22 riffle for anyone wondering, could barely break a bone with it. I need to lob in shots further than 50 yards lol

I am not a lawyer, so take my word with a grain (or more) of salt, but my very limited understanding of Canadian law is that it's pretty much illegal for you to have more than 5 round magazines.  Unless you actually meant clip (as in, to load a fixed magazine), in which case I have no idea.  I did find a .22 speed loader in a quick search online, but I don't know if they ship to Canada or if it's even legal there.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1015314374?pid=511932

8 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

and the ruger lcr is a great carry gun

I've been very pleased with my Ruger LC9s Pro.  First 9mm I bought after trading in my Jiminez .380, and I plan to keep it for a long time to come.  7+1 capacity, with up to 10rd mags available (however those make it hard to conceal, so I carry them as spares).  Single stack, so it's thin.  If you get the Pro model, no pesky manual safety, though it does have a trigger safety which has pinched my finger on a few occasions.  Overall, I've been quite pleased with it.

If I had any one gripe with it, it's that the disassembly pin can be a bit of a pain to pop out, but that's a minor gripe in my opinion.

Edited by Jito463
pain, not pin

7 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

The p938 is definitely an excellent little gun, though my own carry preferences trend toward striker or da/sa hammer guns over SA with a thumb safety, i'd probably still happily carry one if it was in my collection...though if I was buying a 1911 pattern pistol for carry it'd be a SW1911 9mm Pro Series

@kaiju_wars have you looked at revolvers at all out of curiosity? Since you're already leaning towards single stack, it seems like capacity isn't a huge factor for you, and the ruger lcr is a great carry gun. So is the s&w j-frame, though I personally hate how heavy the trigger is and think it's an unruly degree of snappy.

Not interested in revolvers tbh.  I'm looking for something super slim, while not as small as a sub compact .380.  I already have an LCP for that.  The Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 2.0 fits right in between my LCP and my PA-63 in terms of size, while (with the 8 round magazine) still having a (somewhat) full grip.  I can conceal a full length grip, I have a hard time concealing a doublestack like a Glock 26 or 19.