Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
5 hours ago, Slumberjack said:

I'm not crazy about modding a carry gun. I'd rather the trigger suck and it still go bang, than it feel amazing and jam when I need it.

I do truly understand that sentiment, but a trigger pack on an M&P is no different than say a trigger pack for an AR. Sure some suck, but just because it's 'mil-spec' doesn't mean that you're guaranteed no FTF.

6 hours ago, RedAV8R said:

I do truly understand that sentiment, but a trigger pack on an M&P is no different than say a trigger pack for an AR. Sure some suck, but just because it's 'mil-spec' doesn't mean that you're guaranteed no FTF.

Fair, but I've seen enough apex triggers fail at my local USPSA matches to be wary

1 hour ago, Slumberjack said:

Fair, but I've seen enough apex triggers fail at my local USPSA matches to be wary

interesting... in what way did they fail?

Range Report

Ran 90 more rounds through my new lightweight AR build, a mix of brass and steel cased ammo, with no issues.

I really like the scope (Primary Arms 2.5x prism scope).

I picked up a prism scope because I have some astigmatism and red dots are very hit or miss, some look like mostly small round dots while others can look like an exploding star and appear about twice the size or more than they should be.

The prism reticle was crystal clear and I had very noticeably improved groupings (at my local 25 yard range).

If you google with optic you'll see the reticle is a horse shoes with a dot in the center.

IMO the dot in the center is a bit too small and can be hard to see at times with no illumination, but turning the red illumination to 4 or higher helps a fair bit with this.

The Bersa Thunder Plus ran much better.

I am all but certain any issues I had before were due to my grip and my thumbs dragging on the slide.

I did have one instance of a click with no bang but a second pull of the trigger fired the round (not sure if it was the primer or a light strike).

12 hours ago, RedAV8R said:

interesting... in what way did they fail?

Crazy as it sounds, they tend to crack/snap, like you lose the whole bottom half of the trigger. Admittedly, I've only seen it in their Glock triggers, never seen their M&P triggers fail, but I'm gonna chalk that up to very rarely seeing an M&P at a USPSA match. Personally when it comes to trigger replacement kits, I throw my hat in with Overwatch Precision triggers, but that's purely for competition. Not sure I'd trust them anymore than I do Apex for carry.

Never seen/heard of a stock trigger breaking under stress but I will say I'm less reserved when it comes to stuff like spring kits and connectors. IMO a Smith J-frame is unusable without a spring kit, and every double stack Glock ever made needs a Ghost connector.

On 4/21/2019 at 2:56 AM, Slumberjack said:

Crazy as it sounds, they tend to crack/snap, like you lose the whole bottom half of the trigger. Admittedly, I've only seen it in their Glock triggers, never seen their M&P triggers fail, but I'm gonna chalk that up to very rarely seeing an M&P at a USPSA match. Personally when it comes to trigger replacement kits, I throw my hat in with Overwatch Precision triggers, but that's purely for competition. Not sure I'd trust them anymore than I do Apex for carry.

Never seen/heard of a stock trigger breaking under stress but I will say I'm less reserved when it comes to stuff like spring kits and connectors. IMO a Smith J-frame is unusable without a spring kit, and every double stack Glock ever made needs a Ghost connector.

And maybe I should have qualified my recommendation. Sure Apex has the replacement trigger, but the real meat and potatoes is the spring/sear kit that does way more for the pull than the trigger itself, and still be used with factory trigger.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2015 at 7:56 PM, Jack.EXE said:

Welcome to THE Gun thread. Enjoy firing them? Modifying them? Or just enjoy the mechanics of operation?

No matter who you are, there is something to enjoy in this thread!

16b28b9a743e483c32857f97492fcd2d.jpg

THIS IS A GUN THREAD. IF YOU ARE ANTI-GUN, YOU MAY LEAVE NOW.

Rules:

Thou shalt not fanboy - Fanboism is frowned upon. However good the AK-47 is, it is far from the best, no gun is the best.

Thou should enjoy firearms - Off topic discussion is fine in short bursts, but this thread is for firearm lovers, such as myself.

Thou shalt not harm another - Comon guys, I really shouldnt have to explain this.

Thou shalt have fun! - Talk as much or as little as you want. As technical or general as you can. If you cannot understand something, feel free to ask, or ignore the post alltogether and suggest your own discussion!

This was heavily inspired by the car thread, so I am hoping you will behave as well as you guys do over there.

That said, I'll give you guys a push:

What is your favorite gun, in general?

Amendment 1:

Please add a link to this thread in your signature. You don't have to, but it will help with advertising!

So, I like the engineering, mechanic and tech side of guns, even though I don´t believe the majority of the population should have them (I live in Mexico City). Anyways, I have a particular interest for .308 (7.62x51mm NATO) battle rifles. Could you help me rank a list of these rifles (which I am fond off) based on technical/mechanical data (such as action, reliability, ROF, recoil)?

FN SCAR 17 (also known as SCAR-H)

The OG FN FAL (modern SA-58 variant too)

The also OG HK G3 Rifle (Modern variants, such as the G3A3)

HK 417 modern Universal Assault Rifle (even though it is a Battle Rifle)

AR-10 (The .308 AR-15, there are modern designs and receivers nowadays)

M14/MK 14 EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle) (I know it is basically a magazine fed, full auto M1 Garand, and its modernization)

So, which are the best? Which are the worst? Which action is the most interesting? Highest/Lowest ROF? Ease/Cost of Production? Modularity?

Am I missing another notable .308 battle rifle?

So some time ago I mentioned getting some police trade in Sig P226 magazines from the 93-04 assault rifle/magazine ban era.

I have taken them to the range several times now and while they have fed rounds without any issue they are rather iffy about locking the slide back on an empty mag.

I think this is because the followers are shaped a bit differently than all my newer mags and the part that pushes up on the slide stop is noticeably shorter than the followers on all my other p226 mags.

I put followers from my newer mags in my ban era mags and the slide stop part sat up higher than the ones from the ban era (I did not test this configuration at the range).

I ordered a couple new followers for my ban era mags that look to be shaped like my newer followers in the hopes that they'll allow my ban era mags to both feed ammo reliably and lock the slide back on an empty mag, otherwise my ban era mags will end up as range toys/a piece of memorabilia to hang on my wall.

Got a 10/22 today from one of the deputies.  He included a scope with it.  I can begin my project here soon.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Here’s the rifleC509D834-CD3A-4531-86E8-170D8610E588.thumb.jpeg.a6bcdfa7d816da2aee62d95182f1ad95.jpeg

Here’s the scope cope for those interested 

C5927D18-DFC6-48A5-8AF8-0BF077591ED4.thumb.jpeg.75e95693436b1544403d7011fe963c65.jpegD074C39A-4400-4D79-BA3D-20E4BCC96523.thumb.jpeg.81996ad616cb85932cdd9dc7b397cfc2.jpeg

On 9/13/2015 at 7:04 PM, ThatOneRussian said:

The AK is used by soldiers for a reason. It is reliable. Nothing comes close to the strength and reliability to the AK. the m16 proved that

Well I imagine that this has been beaten to death over the years, but actually the reason why the M16 has teething issues, was because some people in the pentagon believed that the m16 never needed to be cleaned, so they failed to issue cleaning kits, the other issue was that the did a powder change after the initial testing, and this new powder did not have enough dwell time for the M16 to cycle properly.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

On 9/13/2015 at 7:07 PM, ThatOneRussian said:

Drop an AK into a swamp. Clean it off it works. Do the same for the m16 broken....

I imagine this has also been beaten to death by now, but the AR-15 platform (including the M16) actually shines in swamps, mud, and other hard conditions due to their sealed up nature, this is actually is one of the reasons why the platform is still used the world over to this day despite the high maintenance demands of the platform. The AK 47 (the gun I believe you are referencing) actually is liable to getting gunk in the action and jamming in these conditions due to their open nature. The beauty of the AK 47 actually just lies in it's lack of demand for maintenance, as you can leave it in a closet for years on end and still pull it out and expect it to fire reliably, meanwhile with the AR platform you would need to oil/clean it first, another thing you could also fire more than a thousand rounds through the AK 47 without needing to clean it, meanwhile the AR 15 platform would need to be cleaned and/or oiled much sooner than that before it start failing to feed/eject.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

25 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I imagine this has also been beaten to death by now, but the AR-15 platform (including the M16) actually shines in swamps, mud, and other hard conditions due to their sealed up nature, this is actually is one of the reasons why the platform is still used the world over to this day despite the high maintenance demands of the platform. The AK 47 (the gun I believe you are referencing) actually is liable to getting gunk in the action and jamming in these conditions due to their open nature. The beauty of the AK 47 actually just lies in it's lack of demand for maintenance, as you can leave it in a closet for years on end and still pull it out and expect it to fire reliably, meanwhile with the AR platform you would need to oil/clean it first, another thing you could also fire more than a thousand rounds through the AK 47 without needing to clean it, meanwhile the AR 15 platform would need to be cleaned and/or oiled much sooner than that before it start failing to feed/eject.

This seems to be the general consensus I've found.

AKs are also beautiful weapons in my opinion. I'd probably get one for home defense since, as you said, I can just pull it out of a closet and expect it to work fine.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

54 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

27 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

This seems to be the general consensus I've found.

AKs are also beautiful weapons in my opinion. I'd probably get one for home defense since, as you said, I can just pull it out of a closet and expect it to work fine.

this is all I have to say when people say the AK will survive mud better than the M16 (or other AR platform guns for that matter.)

Welp, converting the 450 Bushmaster to a different cartridge. Too many issues and it kicks like hell.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I got plans for after work, I'm thinking of starting the spray paint.  Dunno if I should wait for the stock or not.  But I figured I could go ahead and get the barrel painted.

image0.jpg

Took my 226 to the range this week and the new followers for my ban era magazines worked great, they locked the slide back every time and had zero issues feeding ammo.

Got this today.

3E249D82-7113-4548-A977-46A97FEF3580.jpeg

13F54883-E546-4B2C-90A7-812B0FDB91D7.jpeg

Just now, Jito463 said:

Looks nice.  Safety aside, reminds me of my P2000.

Thanks, it’s not a bad little gun.  I’ve fired it before

On 5/19/2019 at 1:00 PM, Jito463 said:

Looks nice.  Safety aside, reminds me of my P2000.

Lol it should remind you of a P226 since that's what it's patterned after. Though German designs do tend to give off similar vibes.

barrel is painted.  I’m going to paint the front sight and receiver tomorrow, since they have to be painted black

C43B192E-E81A-431B-BF78-FC6114267BD2.jpeg

Receiver and front sight post painted.  Next payday, I'll order the tapco stock.  I'll have to mod the front picatinny rail.  I also still need to find a clip that I can spray paint a maroon or red that'll work.

image2.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpg

I've got a small thought experiment:

Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel. Legally, does it still constitute a shotgun, or a 12 gauge rifle?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.