Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
35 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

They really should have respectfully declined the PDs request of help destroying firearms. 

100% agree with you. I understand the police department has to follow policy. I get that. But that doesn't mean that we help them do something counter to our beliefs. It's not the destruction of the firearm, it's the policy that drives them to do it that we in the 2A community vehemently are against, and any action taken that helps that policy keep going... should be refused.

Though I am a bit surprised that the department didn't have the implements of destruction needed to do this themselves. Perhaps a bit too surprised...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

100% agree with you. I understand the police department has to follow policy. I get that. But that doesn't mean that we help them do something counter to our beliefs. It's not the destruction of the firearm, it's the policy that drives them to do it that we in the 2A community vehemently are against, and any action taken that helps that policy keep going... should be refused.

Though I am a bit surprised that the department didn't have the implements of destruction needed to do this themselves. Perhaps a bit too surprised...

You and I seem to be on the same page on this one; if they need to destroy the firearms, fine, but we don't have to help.

As for the tooling, I could understand if they used something like a cold saw, but from the pics it looks like an angle grinder was the tool of choice, and you'd think any PD would have an angle grinder. So I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

In the meantime, I've been browsing ZTs today :D I might have to buy a 0452CF just because. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

This is exactly why I support spyderco and ZT over benchmade.  I have a minigriptilian that I use as a beater and that is the only benchmade knife I have ever/will ever own.  

AMD 2600x | 16gb Trident Z RGB | Asus ROG Strix B450F | Samsung 860 Evo 1tb | Phanteks P400 | Asus GTX 1060 DUAL

I'm thinking of buying a Remington 700. Anything I should be weary of about this rifle?

Just now, Netivity said:

I'm thinking of buying a Remington 700. Anything I should be weary of about this rifle?

Some version of the factory trigger has issues. Believe it's the first gen match grade trigger.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Some version of the factory trigger has issues. Believe it's the first gen match grade trigger.

I did read about that... This is going to be my first rifle after 13 years, is it a good rifle or do you recommend something else?

Just now, Netivity said:

I did read about that... This is going to be my first rifle after 13 years, is it a good rifle or do you recommend something else?

Dunno, don't own it. But the thing about the 700 is that multiple companies are making flagship level products for it and the only major issue I've seen is the trigger, so it's definitely not a bad rifle. Maybe some bad configs but I wouldn't imagine that those are common.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Dunno, don't own it. But the thing about the 700 is that multiple companies are making flagship level products for it and the only major issue I've seen is the trigger, so it's definitely not a bad rifle. Maybe some bad configs but I wouldn't imagine that those are common.

Brilliant! Thanks for that. 

serial FF stamped receivers require little if any truing to be good. not sure what you want this 700 to do, but i can think of a handful of better rifles in the $700 price range.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

41 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

serial FF stamped receivers require little if any truing to be good. not sure what you want this 700 to do, but i can think of a handful of better rifles in the $700 price range.

Do you mind explaining? I'm new to the rifle scene...

7 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Do you mind explaining? I'm new to the rifle scene...

If ther serial number of the reciver has a "FF" in it, if you wanted to make a pretty decent budget tack driver, you wont need to spend money on truing up the action. Otherwise if this is just a hunting gun... honestly there are cheaper and just as accurate alternatives. i have a Thompson center compass that i use for 500 yd competitions. right out of the box they are very sub minute of angle (< 1" at 100 yds roughly) with a half-assed tuned load. The trigger blows, but for $200... you can't complain much.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

If ther serial number of the reciver has a "FF" in it, if you wanted to make a pretty decent budget tack driver, you wont need to spend money on truing up the action. Otherwise if this is just a hunting gun... honestly there are cheaper and just as accurate alternatives. i have a Thompson center compass that i use for 500 yd competitions. right out of the box they are very sub minute of angle (< 1" at 100 yds roughly) with a half-assed tuned load. The trigger blows, but for $200... you can't complain much.

Fair enough, it seems like I have to do a bit more research before I buy a rifle.

Thanks for the info.

13 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Fair enough, it seems like I have to do a bit more research before I buy a rifle.

Thanks for the info.

really depends what goal you're trying to accomplish. a heavy rifle ain't gonna be useful for very much...

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

a heavy rifle ain't gonna be useful for much...

I beg to differ.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

I beg to differ.

Differ all you like. While my PRS rifle is a waste of ammo at anything closer than 400 yards (boring accurate), i sure as hell ain't gonna be swinging an M24 profiled 26" with a 8" can off the end and a Razer HD on top in the woods to drop a deer. in my book, every rifle has a purpose. The compass is a deer gun. light weight, very accurate for a factory sporter, & cheap as dirt. but it can't hold against an F-class rifle. and wielding an F-class rifle in a PRS match gets old fast and is impossible to hunt with (unless you shoot from a barn and drop deer from 1/4 mile out, like i do). a short heavy varmint tac rifle has it's use, but it's not at range against rifles that are better built for that. can it hunt? sure. but you're gonna wish it was 5# lighter after a mile of hiking, i can guarantee you that much.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

but you're gonna wish it was 5# lighter after a mile of hiking, i can guarantee you that much.

Maybe, if it weighs more than 2 sheets of drywall.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Maybe, if it weighs more than 2 sheets of drywall.

I can honestly say I have no idea how heavy that is.

System specs:

I can honestly say I have no idea how heavy that is.

160lb when I hung rock.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

160lb when I hung rock.

well you're gonna have all that in gear and pack out weight. maybe. depends where you are, what you're hunting, and what you need to accomplish it. For some, especially in the mountains, that's gonna be full ruck.

System specs:

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

ell you're gonna have all that in gear

What are you hunting? ISIS?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

What are you hunting? ISIS?

elk?

System specs:

elk?

You need 160lb in gear...

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

You need 160lb in gear...

it ain't what you bring out, it's what you bring back.

System specs:

@meiikachu Whatcha got gun gal?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.