Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

@knightslugger Any recommendation for AR gas pistons?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@knightslugger Any recommendation for AR gas pistons?

Osprey, Daniel Defense, CMMG tons of really great systems available. Piston ARs have really come a long way in a short time.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

7 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Osprey, Daniel Defense, CMMG tons of really great systems available. Piston ARs have really come a long way in a short time.

I'm only finding parts from Osprey. DD and CMMG I'm not seeing parts, just uppers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm only finding parts from Osprey. DD and CMMG I'm not seeing parts, just uppers.

Are you looking for conversion kits then?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

Are you looking for conversion kits then?

Basically. Just considering options for an HBAR that I'm going to run drums through.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Basically. Just considering options for an HBAR that I'm going to run drums through.

OH. well i don't have a lot of experience with piston AR conversions besides Adams Arms. Especially for such a hard use case.

System specs:

Especially for such a hard use case.

It's not really that hard a use case. I've done it multiple times with multiple DI ARs, the only thing is making sure to clean it well after each outing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It's not really that hard a use case. I've done it multiple times with multiple DI ARs, the only thing is making sure to clean it well after each outing.

you are building an incredible amount of heat into very small parts. i'd say that's fairly hard use. that being said i'm not sure there's much benefit between DI an GP anymore.

System specs:

On 11/27/2018 at 6:51 PM, Trik'Stari said:

I am now OCD about muzzle direction, trigger discipline, and checking the chamber.

I haven't shot too many pistols, but I was taught to always clear a weapon before turning it from pointing downrange.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

you are building an incredible amount of heat into very small parts. i'd say that's fairly hard use. that being said i'm not sure there's much benefit between DI an GP anymore.

I'd agree if I was the owner of two Beta-C mags or a bunch of any other drum, but I just run Magpul D-60s, two of them. The most I can do is 120 rounds before needed to refill those drums, which takes a long fucking time. Any half decent AR build can easily handle it. I'd only call it hard on cheaply made crap or no tolerance builds.

But so far the only piston that would work with the handguard I want is the Osprey, which is $300 and still requires a gas block. So I don't think I'm going piston driven this time around.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

I had to take this photo for family, so I might as well share it here. It's guns I either built the lower (and upper for the one on the right) or am going to modify a good bit after xmas.20181206_170049.thumb.jpg.0f9862750332829a1902363bc37f05d7.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump stocks.

I want to know how many of you ACTUALLY KNOW what they do, how they function, and why this new reclassification to a Machine Gun is such a slippery slope.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

Bump stocks.

I want to know how many of you ACTUALLY KNOW what they do, how they function, and why this new reclassification to a Machine Gun is such a slippery slope.

I don't own any, and think they're stupid. Yes, I am familiar with what they do and how they work.

With that said, the idea that the AG can simply ignore and redefine a legal definition that's been on the books for 84 years without any input from congress is beyond disturbing. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

26 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Bump stocks.

I know what they are. I know what they do.

And I know how ineffective they are.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

50 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I don't own any, and think they're stupid. Yes, I am familiar with what they do and how they work.

With that said, the idea that the AG can simply ignore and redefine a legal definition that's been on the books for 84 years without any input from congress is beyond disturbing. 

The redefinition of what a Machine Gun is, is the most disturbing infuriating thing of all. It flies in the face against all things logical.

It begs the question, just what the hell IS a machine gun these days anyway? Does anyone even know anymore?

System specs:

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

It begs the question, just what the hell IS a machine gun these days anyway? Does anyone even know anymore?

Any gun that looks scary.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Any gun that looks scary.

I'm serious! What the hell constitutes a machine gun?

System specs:

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

The redefinition of what a Machine Gun is, is the most disturbing infuriating thing of all. It flies in the face against all things logic.

The really dumb part is that the AG doesnt have the authority to redefine what a Machine Gun is, that's written into law in both the NFA and GCA, so congress would have to do that.

In this case the AG is simply deciding to ignore that standing definition, and substitute his own. 

I'm comfortable with the current legal definition of a machine gun, as defined by the NFA and GCA, and dont believe it needs to be redefined. 

26 U.S.C. § 5845(b) For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Machinegun means: Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-0

Bump stocks, very clearly do not meet this definition. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

9 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I'm serious! What the hell constitutes a machine gun?

Right now, legal definition has not changed. Media definition is basically the same as "Assault Rifles."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The really dumb part is that the AG doesnt have the authority to redefine what a Machine Gun is, that's written into law in both the NFA and GCA, so congress would have to do that.

In this case the AG is simply deciding to ignore that standing definition, and substitute his own. 

I'm comfortable with the current legal definition of a machine gun, as defined by the NFA and GCA, and dont believe it needs to be redefined. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-0

Bump stocks, very clearly do not meet this definition. 

Right!

HR 3999

To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the manufacture, possession, or transfer of any part or combination of parts that is designed and functions to increase the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but does not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun, and for other purposes.

IANAL, but i read that as any part that increases the ROF of a firearm in any capacity cannot be possessed, transferred, or manufactured.

Light weight firing pin = lower reciprocating mass = ROF increase

Colt pre-90's gun ban carrier = lower reciprocating mass = ROF increase

Heavier weight buffer spring = stronger cycle = ROF increase

hotter cartridge producing more gas pressure = ROF increase

Put a suppressor on your rifle = increase gas pressure = ROF Increase

Install larger gas tube = larger volume of gas = ROF increase

use a shorter gas system (rifle to carbine) = higher gas pressure = ROF increase

Anything that affects the physics of the reciprocating mass of the firearm can = a ROF increase. INSTANT FELONY!? That's BULLSHIT!

And we ALL KNOW how understanding the BATFE is... There are days they go by the absolute letter of the law, and other days the flip a coin.

System specs:

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Right!

HR 3999

To amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the manufacture, possession, or transfer of any part or combination of parts that is designed and functions to increase the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but does not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun, and for other purposes.

IANAL, but i read that as any part that increases the ROF of a firearm in any capacity cannot be possessed, transferred, or manufactured.

Light weight firing pin = lower reciprocating mass = ROF increase

Colt pre-90's gun ban carrier = lower reciprocating mass = ROF increase

Heavier weight buffer spring = stronger cycle = ROF increase

hotter cartridge producing more gas pressure = ROF increase

Anything that affects the physics of the reciprocating mass of the firearm can = a ROF increase. INSTANT FELONY!? That's BULLSHIT!

And we ALL KNOW how understanding the BATFE is... There are days they go by the absolute letter of the law, and other days the flip a coin.

HR 3999 is a completely separate issue IMHO. 

That's been introduced into the house, but has about zero chance of actually passing the house, senate, and presidents desk. So personally, I wouldn't be super worried about it.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't contact your reps, but I wouldn't lose sleep over that one. 

Now that the precedent has been set (assuming that the lawsuits fail) that the AG can re-write legal definitions, I'm far more concerned that they could once more redefine "Machine Gun" by simply scratching off the "single function of the trigger" part of the definition. If they did that, every single semi-auto firearm would be a machine gun and therefore a felony overnight. 

I wanna know where the bullet goes in a bump stock... oh wait, the bullet doesn't go in it...can't be a firearm...can't be a machine gun. Seems pretty simple to me.

5 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

it...can't be a firearm

By ATF definition, a suppressor is a firearm. Doesn't matter that by it's useless by itself.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, RedAV8R said:

I wanna know where the bullet goes in a bump stock... oh wait, the bullet doesn't go in it...can't be a firearm...can't be a machine gun. Seems pretty simple to me.

I agree with your sentiment, but that's a bit of an oversimplification. 

A drop in auto-sear is considered a machine gun per the ATF:

Image result for drop in auto sear

2709_3310_194-drop-auto-sear.jpg

https://www.atf.gov/file/11236/download