Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

For the record, i predict this to be a terribly inefficient cartridge design.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 hour ago, knightslugger said:

For the record, i predict this to be a terribly inefficient cartridge design.

It's similar to how the MP7 has an oversize case to bullet but the size difference makes a difference as it's anti personnel and armor penetrating in a small package.
There are some cartridges designed like this for long range shooting though.

I cannot think of the rifles nor ammo but here are some images that look like what I'm thinking of. 

Spoiler

Long Range Calibers and Cartridges

Hornady_6mm_rem.png

These cartridges are highly specialized though. As is the .50 BMG as an anti-material rifle for disabling vehicles & causing war crimes. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

It's similar to how the MP7 has an oversize case to bullet but the size difference makes a difference as it's anti personnel and armor penetrating in a small package.
There are some cartridges designed like this for long range shooting though.

I cannot think of the rifles nor ammo but here are some images that look like what I'm thinking of. 

Hide contents

*snip*

These cartridges are highly specialized though. As is the .50 BMG as an anti-material rifle for disabling vehicles & causing war crimes. 

That's not what i was talking about. 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

• 3 weeks later...

I broke down and bought myself an X95!

I've always found bullpups (pardon my French for a moment) fucking sexy as all hell, but I'd had a hard time justifying the high price of most of them.

Well, I'd been saving my money for a while and of the things I'd been eyeing this was finally at the top of the list.

I took my Vortex Strikerfire II red dot off my AR and put it on the X95 and bought an inexpensive Bushnell TRS red dot to replace it.

While that means I'll have to go to the range and re zero both of my rifles, it also means I get to go to the range and re zero my rifles :D

One thing that really surprised me is the perceived weight of the X95.

Just picking my AR and X95 the they feel pretty close with the X95 feeling slightly lighter, but when I shoulder the X95 it feels significantly lighter than my AR (M&P 15 Sport II).

I'd heard that some people like the weight distribution bullpups offer (rear bias) vs traditional rifle configurations (typically front bias), and while I'll hold final judgement till after a trip to the range, just shouldering and moving with the rifles at home I really like how the bullpup feels.

5b1caeeb8d7a3_20180607_1518011-min.thumb.jpg.cf6a2e6fb2dbb531e28f659b48995abd.jpg5b1cb1d5bf1c6_20180609_2332181-min.thumb.jpg.575cf23806898e249837ad3efbd9dc59.jpg

15 hours ago, Snadzies said:

I broke down and bought myself an X95!

I've always found bullpups (pardon my French for a moment) fucking sexy as all hell, but I'd had a hard time justifying the high price of most of them.

Well, I'd been saving my money for a while and of the things I'd been eyeing this was finally at the top of the list.

I took my Vortex Strikerfire II red dot off my AR and put it on the X95 and bought an inexpensive Bushnell TRS red dot to replace it.

While that means I'll have to go to the range and re zero both of my rifles, it also means I get to go to the range and re zero my rifles :D

One thing that really surprised me is the perceived weight of the X95.

Just picking my AR and X95 the they feel pretty close with the X95 feeling slightly lighter, but when I shoulder the X95 it feels significantly lighter than my AR (M&P 15 Sport II).

I'd heard that some people like the weight distribution bullpups offer (rear bias) vs traditional rifle configurations (typically front bias), and while I'll hold final judgement till after a trip to the range, just shouldering and moving with the rifles at home I really like how the bullpup feels.

I've always found bullpups an interesting form factor.

I can see how they would move around a lot better than ARs or other traditional rifles, since there's less gun in front of you to maneuver. I could see them being really good for home defense if the homeowner doesn't want a shotgun.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I had the chance to get a hand cannon today. Missed it thinking I was going to get the ole man a second 1911, I ended up getting a Ruger .357.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I can see how they would move around a lot better than ARs or other traditional rifles, since there's less gun in front of you to maneuver. I could see them being really good for home defense if the homeowner doesn't want a shotgun.

CQC is pretty much what bullpups were developed for. You get a full length barrel in a short package with a center of gravity closer to the shoulder. The tradeoff is worse recoil handling, which makes longer range shooting more difficult.

Personally, I prefer rifles for home defense in all cases. They are extremely accurate even under duress, and can be had in calibers small enough to make collateral damage minimal, which is my primary concern. Additionally, they are more easily used for property defense (dispatching an attacker before they enter your home, which may or may not legal depending on your state) than other, shorter range, options like shotguns and handguns.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

22 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

CQC is pretty much what bullpups were developed for. You get a full length barrel in a short package with a center of gravity closer to the shoulder. The tradeoff is worse recoil handling, which makes longer range shooting more difficult.

Personally, I prefer rifles for home defense in all cases. They are extremely accurate even under duress, and can be had in calibers small enough to make collateral damage minimal, which is my primary concern. Additionally, they are more easily used for property defense (dispatching an attacker before they enter your home, which may or may not legal depending on your state) than other, shorter range, options like shotguns and handguns.

My go to home invasion mitigation tool is my big ass handgun with big ass bullets that put big ass holes in big ass dudes.

Predators get the .223 SBR. Which reminds me, i have to buy a new 1-4x optic for it.

System specs:

29 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

(dispatching an attacker before they enter your home, which may or may not legal depending on your state)

I would imagine legality of this can be tricky until they enter the house.

Outside the house, it would be hard to tell if they're an attacker/invader or not.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On the topic of self defense, it’s apparently a law in china that if a police officer had to shoot someone, he’s obligated to fire at least 1 warning shot. 

Which has resulted in innocent bystanders dying so now many carry a blank at the top of their magazine. 

Anyone have any thoughts on firing at least 1 warning shot? 

In home invasion, I call it a compromised position. 

19 minutes ago, fpo said:

On the topic of self defense, it’s apparently a law in china that if a police officer had to shoot someone, he’s obligated to fire at least 1 warning shot. 

Which has resulted in innocent bystanders dying so now many carry a blank at the top of their magazine. 

Anyone have any thoughts on firing at least 1 warning shot? 

In home invasion, I call it a compromised position. 

Generally speaking you could call a "warning shot" reckless discharge of a firearm, or at least the police might call it that. There was a case a while back where a man tried abducting a young woman who was walking with her mother, the mother fired a warning shot and scared the man off. The police charged her with "reckless discharge of a firearm". A verbal warning should suffice. Most criminals will flee at the sight of a gun because usually their goal is not worth enough to them to risk their life over.

Warning shots are generally a bad idea because in your typical house, a single shot from a 9mm could easily pass through a wall or two, and you don't know who/what is on the other side.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The only warning that needs to be made is "Stop! I have a gun!"

System specs:

4 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I would think pointing it at the attacker would be more effective.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I would think pointing it at the attacker would be more effective.

you stand a far better case against "ambush with intent" by announcing its presence. However B&E is usually enough to consider one's self to be assaulted with intent to inflict great bodily injury or death. The fact that you gave the intruder a chance to get right in their head goes a long way.

System specs:

9 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Outside the house, it would be hard to tell if they're an attacker/invader or not.

In some states (like Mississippi), the fact that they are on your property after you've asked them to leave makes them an attacker.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

you stand a far better case against "ambush with intent" by announcing its presence. However B&E is usually enough to consider one's self to be assaulted with intent to inflict great bodily injury or death. The fact that you gave the intruder a chance to get right in their head goes a long way.

I'm not saying shoot 'im dead on the spot. Just pull and point. Tell them to back off after that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I'm not saying shoot 'im dead on the spot. Just pull and point. Tell them to back off after that.

oh, yeah, absolutely. have it at the ready before issuing commands. Chances of survival diminish significantly if they get the first move.

System specs:

8 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

oh, yeah, absolutely. have it at the ready before issuing commands. Chances of survival diminish significantly if they get the first move.

Agreed, I would want a weapon out before issuing commands so I'm better prepared in case they retaliate.

11 hours ago, knightslugger said:

More than likely the sound of a round being chambered loudly would do that.

Especially potent from a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Although large dogs are a good deterrent as well.

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

More than likely the sound of a round being chambered loudly would do that.

Especially potent from a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Although large dogs are a good deterrent as well.

If they have a gun, the sound of racking a shotgun isn't even remotely scary. It only tells them where you are.

Whereas some firearms are designed to be cocked, locked, ready to rock. Rechambering just wastes a round.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

If they have a gun, the sound of racking a shotgun isn't even remotely scary. It only tells them where you are.

Whereas some firearms are designed to be cocked, locked, ready to rock. Rechambering just wastes a round.

Statistically, even if they have a gun they will run knowing their pray has one. The overwhelming majority of criminals, armed or not, will not stand and fight or press on towards a fight if they know one is coming.

The FBI has plenty of statistics on this.

They sure do, but juries, lawmen, and lawyers seldom believe guns speak louder than your words. I think many of you would be surprised how often those words saved a life, on both sides of the barrel.

System specs:

From left to right, newest to oldest.

.357 Magnum

9mm

9mm

9mm

DSC_0044.thumb.JPG.2416a49648498276ec84a0b304b232aa.JPG

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Hey gang, fellow enthusiast checking in!

I was actually wondering what kind of luck you guys may have had with 3D printing parts, especially on a budget-friendly printer.

I'd really like to try my hand at printing some functioning mags both AR-15 type and otherwise, maybe trying out printing an AR-15 lower, though I doubt I'd bother to use one for a build. Mostly a cool-factor type of thing.

I've been taking a serious look at the Anycubic i3 Mega, but any other entry level printer would be fine, as long as it's accurate enough and can use the materials necessary for these kinds of parts. Thanks!

7 hours ago, bmichaels556 said:

Hey gang, fellow enthusiast checking in!

I was actually wondering what kind of luck you guys may have had with 3D printing parts, especially on a budget-friendly printer.

I'd really like to try my hand at printing some functioning mags both AR-15 type and otherwise, maybe trying out printing an AR-15 lower, though I doubt I'd bother to use one for a build. Mostly a cool-factor type of thing.

I've been taking a serious look at the Anycubic i3 Mega, but any other entry level printer would be fine, as long as it's accurate enough and can use the materials necessary for these kinds of parts. Thanks!

Not well...

20160831_065012.jpg

But in all seriousness, I havent really tried any gun parts on it. I have the file for an AR lower but have never attempted to print one. 

An AR magazine might be possible but a bit tricky, magazines are notoriously difficult to get right. 

I would say that if you want to try it, buy a printer and start playing; but dont get too frustrated in the beginning, it took me a while to get mine dialed in enough to make reasonably nice prints. 

Good Luck!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro