Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE

i have a smith and Wesson 22LR 6 shot revolver its accurate and combined with the extremely light trigger pull its safe to say a feather could set it off it especially helps to avoid accidentally pulling the gun upward when pulling the trigger.

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

3 hours ago, jet224presents said:

i have a smith and Wesson 22LR 6 shot revolver its accurate and combined with the extremely light trigger pull its safe to say a feather could set it off it especially helps to avoid accidentally pulling the gun upward when pulling the trigger.

Just so long as you don't do like this guy. :D

Update on what I've been doing with my firearms.

I have a Ruger 10/22 that likes to stovepipe a lot, something like 1 out of 5-7 rounds.

The other week I did a number of things to help remedy that such as polishing the receiver, guide rod, replacing the extractor with a Volquartsen extractor and doing a few mods to make the magazine fit more securely.

Last weekend I took the 10/22 to the range to see how the modifications did and things were much improved.

One of my magazines seems to be a bit of a primadonna as I would still get a lot of stovepipes with that magazine but the other two magazines ran very well with a variety of ammo (all 3 are BX-25 magazines).

I had a couple stovepipes with the two good magazines but it was only 2 out of 150 rounds I shot through so I'm pretty please with the results.

I'll likely replace the troublesome magazine down the road but for now I'll keep using it at the range as stovepiping there isn't that big an issue.

I dropped my ATI 1911 off at a local gunsmith a couple weeks ago because it liked to eject spent casings into my forehead periodically and I didn't feel confident that I'd be able to adjust the extractor or ejector properly.

I got a call Friday evening saying my 1911 was ready for pickup and I am excited to get it back and try it out at the range sometime this weekend.

Even if it still spits brass into my face on occasion it will be nice to have it back as I find 1911s sexy as all hell and missed not having mine around.

The S&W M&P Sport 2 (AR-15) I picked up a few weeks ago is a god damned beast.

Wolf, Tula, Federal, Freedom Munitions remans, it eats up everything I run through it without any issue.

I added a Vortex Strikefire II red dot to it as I found it too easy to lose focus on the irons while shooting.

Excluding a couple incidents of user error the thing has been 100% reliable and I could not be more pleased with it.

So I got my 1911 back from the gunsmith last week and I don't know what was going through his head but he had the tension on the extractor waaaay too high and I had tons of failures to go into battery while at the range last weekend.

The extractor was bent so much I could barely get it out and using a very crude tension tester I whipped up I measured somewhere around 45oz of force, the proper tension for a 1911 should be around 24-28oz.

I bent the extractor back a bit and tested the action with some dummy rounds (and very carefully with a couple live rounds) and I did not have any failures to go into battery while cycling by hand.

My crude, home made tension tester was showing in the low 30oz and the extractor went back into place much more easily.

Hopefully things will go better with it this weekend at the range, if not I may invest in an Aftec auto adjusting extractor.

On the other end of the spectrum I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm pistol last week.

It is the full sized version with a 5" barrel in a tan/sand color.

I really like that the slide release and the thumb safety (uncommon on striker fired guns) are extremely similar to my 1911 so it is pretty easy to swap between the two without much thought.

The first time I had it at home and was holding it and getting a feel for it I laughed for a good minute when I set it down and picked up my 1911.

The weight difference between my 1911 and my S&W 2.0 is astounding.

The upper on the 2.0 is metal/steel but most of the lower is polymer/plastic while everything but the grip on my 1911 is steel and it really shows as the 2.0 almost feels like a toy compared to the 1911.

P_20170520_145957[1].jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad I found this thread.

This is my custom AR, built from a stripped receiver, chambered in 5.56. BCM Gunfighter grip, CMC 3.5 lb trigger, Magpul stock, HK style sights, and a 16" barrel. I cannot wait to SBR this thing and put a 7.5" 300BLK barrel on it.

18121445_818995001589572_611840985857960

And this is my SIG Sauer P226, otherwise known, as the horse. Chambered in 9MM.

18320624_824925860996486_822005630679321

The AR is running Federal 55 grain ball ammo and the SIG is running 124 grain Federal HST Hollowpoints.

16 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

And this is my SIG Sauer P226, otherwise known, as the horse. Chambered in 9MM.

18320624_824925860996486_822005630679321.

Oooh, shiny.  How is it, firing a gun with a double-action trigger?  I've thought about getting one, but I'm way too broke to afford something like that; at least not new, which on their website goes for over $1k minimum.  If I were to get something like that, it would have to be second-hand.

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Oooh, shiny.  How is it, firing a gun with a double-action trigger?  I've thought about getting one, but I'm way too broke to afford something like that; at least not new, which on their website goes for over $1k minimum.  If I were to get something like that, it would have to be second-hand.

I bought mine for about 600 bucks because it's from the late 80's. You can find Police trade in SIG's for pretty cheap. Brand new though yeah. It's gonna be expensive.

The SA has a little bit of take up, but it's pretty light for a standard combat trigger. The DA trigger is heavy, but not excessive. It feels really solid in DA and I feel like an SRT trigger kit is in its future so I can get rid of that take up.

if you want an alternative, check out the new Rex Zero One pistol. It's basically a SIG for half the price. They even have a compact for carry reasons.

11 hours ago, EricTrujillo said:

This is my custom AR, built from a stripped receiver, chambered in 5.56. BCM Gunfighter grip, CMC 3.5 lb trigger, Magpul stock, HK style sights, and a 16" barrel. I cannot wait to SBR this thing and put a 7.5" 300BLK barrel on it.

18121445_818995001589572_611840985857960

Nice AR!

Are you waiting for the paperwork to clear for your SBR or is that something you're planning for down the road?

If you wouldn't mind, could you post a pic of what it looks like looking down the sights of your AR?

I'd quite like to see what those HK sights looks like.

Personal update on my side.

My 1911 seems to be doing pretty well.

I tightened the extractor just a hair more from my last post and am pleased with how it is operating.

I shot 50 rounds through it last weekend and didn't have a single failure to go into battery and only had 1 round come close to my head, the rest ejected pretty much how they should.

I did have a single weak ejection but it didn't jam and seeing as I was using remanufactured ammo from Freedom Munitions it is possible it could have been a weak round.

I'd have to say 1911s are a guilty pleasure as my 1911 isn't the most reliable gun I have and I would not choose it for an EDC/personal defence but I like my 1911 the most out of all my firearms.

There is just something about 1911s I find sexy as all heck.

I brought my AR with me on that trip to the range as well and I almost forgot how much fun that thing was to shoot.

I hadn't taken my AR with me the last few trips as I was trying to get my 1911 running satisfactory and also having some fun with my new M&P 2.0 (I try to stick to a budget with my ammo and limit myself to bringing 2 firearms at a time).

I am very impressed with its reliability so far as I've ran Federal, remanufactured ammo and Wolf/Tula through it without a single malfunction.

I forgot just how loud 5.56 rounds are and I felt a little douche-y running a few mags through the AR while everyone else at the range (an indoor range) were shooting much quieter pistols and .22 rifles.

I think this weekend I'll bring my M&P 2.0 and my Ruger 10/22 to the range as I got some new ammo for my M&P I want to try out (polymer jacketed rounds) and I also haven't brought my Ruger to the range for a while and it could use some love.

7 hours ago, Snadzies said:

Nice AR!

Are you waiting for the paperwork to clear for your SBR or is that something you're planning for down the road?

If you wouldn't mind, could you post a pic of what it looks like looking down the sights of your AR?

I'd quite like to see what those HK sights looks like.

This is what it looks like, they're not quite HK MP5 style but they're close enough for my purposes. I'll eventually put a nice optic on it, but that will happen once I SBR it and suppress it.

5.56 is super loud, which is why I don't shoot it very much, but this thing is a joy to shoot when I do. I will eventually get a .22LR kit for it so I can go shoot it cheaper and quieter, and that will probably come first. SBR and suppressor is gonna be done at the same time...that 400 dollar tax is gonna be a pain in the dick, but totally worth it.

IMG_2697.JPG

I'm on vacation this week and decided to try a range a bit further away from me this afternoon

First time being able to go to a range 50 yards long, the ranges closest to me are all 25 yards.

This was from my S&W Sport II AR 15 with a Vortex red dot and were from me crouching slightly and resting my elbows on the firing lane bench shooting at a standard 8 1/2 x 11 inch sheet of paper I'd printed out.

Being a fairly new shooter I'm content with all the shots at least being on the paper and most of them even being within the circle.

P_20170612_154033_HDR[1].jpg

Guess who's S3F barrel showed up today!?!

2017-06-12_18.04.41.jpg
2017-06-12_18.04.59.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm not a huge fan of Glock pistols, but man your aftermarket is so dope. I wish SIG's were as customizable as Glocks sometimes.

8 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

I'm not a huge fan of Glock pistols, but man your aftermarket is so dope. I wish SIG's were as customizable as Glocks sometimes.

That's what i love about glocks.  The amount of aftermarket stuff available to them is unparalleled in the handgun market.

51 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

I'm actually not a Glock fanboi either. I think they're good guns for the price but hardly perfection.

The whole advantage Glocks have is the size of the aftermarket support. The raw number of accessories, holsters, mag carriers, and even mags is just too hard to ignore. 

I think that stock gun for stock gun, my XDm is a much better gun for a similar price, but those dont have the support that Glocks do. So here I am.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I'm actually not a Glock fanboi either. I think they're good guns for the price but hardly perfection.

The whole advantage Glocks have is the size of the aftermarket support. The raw number of accessories, holsters, mag carriers, and even mags is just too hard to ignore. 

I think that stock gun for stock gun, my XDm is a much better gun for a similar price, but those dont have the support that Glocks do. So here I am.

Speaking of the Springfield stuff, I'm all about this right now...

XDE9339BE-Transparent.png

DA/SA carry size. If it wasn't for the Arex Rex Zero 1 Compact...This would be my thing.

Well, I had an issue with my Rise Armament RA-140 trigger on my AR-15, to where I would shoot one round and the hammer would follow the bolt carrier forward due to the reset be so short that it wouldn't catch at all. Sometimes, it would run in full auto and other times it would not fire another round and I would have to recharge the handle to shoot. So, I contacted customer service and they were super nice and shipped out a new trigger. Pretty painless and probably a defect in the product but this new trigger I got has a little longer reset that the first one I had and feels more of a solid build. In other news, bought a 1894 7mm Brazilian Mauser. Looks a little beat up but will clean up nicely and it will still shoot since I checked the bore and looks really good. Going to stay on the low side of powder just incase. I will have to post pictures of it before I clean it to show you gents/gals what it looks like when I got it.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Alright people, I'm looking for some good Match grade 9MM and 5.56/223, opinions?

18 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

Alright people, I'm looking for some good Match grade 9MM and 5.56/223, opinions?

There's not a ton of great "Match" 9mm around, about the closest thing you're going to find is 124gr Federal HSTs. They're a defensive round but built to exacting standards and are very accurate.

As far as .223/5.56 goes, Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr and Black Hills 77gr SMK are pretty much the go to's for very accurate ammo. 

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

There's not a ton of great "Match" 9mm around, about the closest thing you're going to find is 124gr Federal HSTs. They're a defensive round but built to exacting standards and are very accurate.

As far as .223/5.56 goes, Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr and Black Hills 77gr SMK are pretty much the go to's for very accurate ammo. 

Ok, very cool, so I'm already using good Match ammo then. Those 124gr HST's are awesome. I gotta try the .223 flavors...Thank goodness for a 1:7 twist barrel.

2 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

Ok, very cool, so I'm already using good Match ammo then. Those 124gr HST's are awesome. I gotta try the .223 flavors...Thank goodness for a 1:7 twist barrel.

Honestly, the barrel twist argument is way over blown. I have 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7 barrels. Never had an issue stabilizing anything from 55gr to 77gr with any of them. For whatever its worth, my 1:8 gun shoots the best but it's also the most expensive and beefiest barrel.

1 hour ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Honestly, the barrel twist argument is way over blown. I have 1:9, 1:8, and 1:7 barrels. Never had an issue stabilizing anything from 55gr to 77gr with any of them. For whatever its worth, my 1:8 gun shoots the best but it's also the most expensive and beefiest barrel.

Yeah I have a SOCOM barrel on my upper, so its super beefy...unfortunately that means its heavy as hell.

My local gun shop has an FDE SCAR-17S on the shelf. I'm trying to hold strong lol.

6 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

My local gun shop has an FDE SCAR-17S on the shelf. I'm trying to hold strong lol.

Just give in...resistance is futile.

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

Just thought I'd share my new Sig Sauer 

P226 Legion SAO 9mm

20170514_185409.jpg

BTW, the trigger on this thing rivals my 1911.  And that's saying something!

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium