Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Yes, I meant the 1301, and it's fixed. Thank you.

Yes, I'm aware of garbage amunition, and I've seen quite a few of the semi-auto's having issues as well. The only one I've never seen fail is the Benelli. I've never seen the Beretta at the range though. I would like to get into 3 gun competitions, which will be possible when I move in 2 years to a state that actually allows certain types of guns and modifications. So the semi-auto appeals to me a little bit more, though I do like the appeal of simplicity with the over-under. Not a fan of side-by-side.

I will be getting into hunting this year, so it will have a life outside of 4-ish hours a week at the range making orange dust.

I'm in school, so until the semester ends, I won't have much time to go talk to my normal shooting group. I am young and have internet. They are all old, retired farmers, that don't really care much for anything aside from a standard touch-tone house phone. But they are a good group, anyways. have you had any experience with any specific models for over-unders? I have access to a bunch to try out at the local gun club.

Ok, now I'm getting a clearer picture.

If you want to get into three gun, an over/under gun would be a huge detriment, if I was you, I'd buy a semi as well and just use the little bit better ammo.

I'm afraid I cant comment with much authority on what is a good over/under vs a bad one, as I don't shoot much of the clay sports. I'm a bit out of the loop on that front, I shoot probably 100x the amount of handgun ammo vs shotguns. 

As far as other semi-auto shotguns go, I'm no expert either. I know you can get the Jerry Miculek Mossburg 930 for significantly less than the Berretta, but I doubt it's as nice of a gun. I know a few people who shoot trap with Winchester SX4s who are happy with them, again a bit cheaper than the Berretta. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So...I just found out about this thread.  Not sure if I classify as a gun "nut", but I definitely enjoy shooting and have recently (a little over 2 months ago) obtained my CCW.  I haven't owned too many guns over the years, due to financial constraints.  Fortunately, that's been changing drastically the past few years.  My first one was just a little single-shot Henry .22LR mini rifle that I picked up for cheap at a gun show.  It was really the only thing I could afford at the time I got it.

Spoiler

Henry_Mini_BOLT.jpg

It's technically a kid's rifle, but an adult can use it easily enough.  I haven't shot it in several years, though.  I still have it, but I never touch it anymore.

My second gun was a Jiminez .380 that I again picked up for cheap at a gun show.  It was a little too small for my hand, though.  The slide would often bite me when shooting, which would cause the gun to occasionally jam up, since the slide couldn't operate correctly.  Also, I don't like the magazine release being on the bottom.  It was very difficult to operate.

Spoiler

JA380black.jpg

I don't have a picture of my actual one, as I traded it for my current Ruger LC9s Pro.  This is my daily CC gun and the one I give the most attention to.

Spoiler

20161219_104002.jpg

For my next gun, I want to look into a double-stack magazine.  I've got 10 round mags for my Ruger, but they stick out quite a ways and make it difficult to conceal carry.  Right now, I just carry with a 7 round mag + 1 in the chamber.  While the Pro version doesn't have a safety, the double trigger - especially the way I carry - ensures it won't accidentally get discharged while I'm carrying it.

Oh, and this seemed the best place to post this.  I was browsing CTD, curious about the price of a gun.  So, I did a search for it, but I wasn't expecting this to show up, which looks like it belongs on a completely different website... xD

Spoiler

15899_1.jpg.acbe85c633ee885fe722b59cacb39300.jpg

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/universal-powder-funnel-kit-seven-pieces-warranty-026057361277.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search#

19 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Quick question for you guys.

I got into skeet over this past summer, and want to get back into it again this summer. My current shotgun is an old Marlin bolt action 12 gauge. Not really skeet friendly on the doubles.

I would like a Benelli since I'm very familiar with them; however, they are a bit out of my price range. I'm currently considering the Beretta 1301 Comp because it looks to be comparable to the Benelli. I'm going to shoot it before I decide; however, would there be any other guns that anyone might suggest as well?

Just so you know I do have a Beretta 1301 Comp. I can tell you from my experience is that I love it, only thing I wish is that I bought the 24 inch barrel instead of the 21 inch becuase skeet shooting with that short barrel doesnt reach out far enough to hit them so you have to be really fast at getting a double but make you a better shooter. Also it does come with a modified choke with the Beretta so that is what you need for skeet shooting. Also to note, I do run close to 500 rounds from it when I skeet shoot in the summer time and have not had any cycling problem with it but never ran more than that. Just have to oil it every couple hundred round every so often with any firearm so keep it cycling. I've had the gun for 1 year now and it was a great purchase for me and love it (get the 24 inch barrel) because buying a new barrel is like $600.

This is my 1301 Comp that I also use for Hunting as well.
uHZcHIl.jpg

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Wow, dont know how that happened for a double post, oh well.  Been awhile since I bought any firearm but right now have my eye on something that I want but I do not have the money for it as I and trying to finish my house and build a new computer.... Oh the joy of not being a millionaire and winning the lottery.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Poohy14 said:

Just so you know I do have a Beretta 1301 Comp. I can tell you from my experience is that I love it, only thing I wish is that I bought the 24 inch barrel instead of the 21 inch becuase skeet shooting with that short barrel doesnt reach out far enough to hit them so you have to be really fast at getting a double but make you a better shooter. Also it does come with a modified choke with the Beretta so that is what you need for skeet shooting. Also to note, I do run close to 500 rounds from it when I skeet shoot in the summer time and have not had any cycling problem with it but never ran more than that. Just have to oil it every couple hundred round every so often with any firearm so keep it cycling. I've had the gun for 1 year now and it was a great purchase for me and love it (get the 24 inch barrel) because buying a new barrel is like $600.

This is my 1301 Comp that I also use for Hunting as well.

Thanks for the info! I was planning on getting the 21 inch, but I will plan on the 24 inch. How hard is it to change the barrel on this? Is the Comp compatible with the 18 inch tactical barrel as well?

Have you had any issues with the oversized charging handle? I've head some people say it gets in the way sometimes, but I haven't seen any mods for it.

And the la again! I haven't found a 1301 owner yet to ask things.

So, I'm thinking I'd like to get a nice pump action shotgun for around the home.  When it comes to home defense, nothing beats the sound of a pump action shottie being primed.

Any suggestions on good, inexpensive (less than $500) models to choose from?

40 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

So, I'm thinking I'd like to get a nice pump action shotgun for around the home.  When it comes to home defense, nothing beats the sound of a pump action shottie being primed.

Any suggestions on good, inexpensive (less than $500) models to choose from?

The Remington 870 Express Tactical can be had for around the $500 mark. Just unscrew that stupid muzzle device.

870ExpressTactical81198_0.jpg?itok=L9o5C

Also my local gun stores have a model called the 870 Express Tac 2 that has laminate furniture (much better looking), no stupid muzzle device, but no ghost ring sights for $379. I've thought about picking one up for no other reason than I think they look nice. Although I have never been able to find that particular model on their website.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The Remington 870 Express Tactical can be had for around the $500 mark. Just unscrew that stupid muzzle device.

870ExpressTactical81198_0.jpg?itok=L9o5C

Also my local gun stores have a model called the 870 Express Tac 2 that has laminate furniture (much better looking), no stupid muzzle device, but no ghost ring sights for $379. I've thought about picking one up for no other reason than I think they look nice. Although I have never been able to find that particular model on their website.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not concerned about sights, since if I ever need it, it would be close range in my apartment.  I'll look into it.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Thanks for the info! I was planning on getting the 21 inch, but I will plan on the 24 inch. How hard is it to change the barrel on this? Is the Comp compatible with the 18 inch tactical barrel as well?

Have you had any issues with the oversized charging handle? I've head some people say it gets in the way sometimes, but I haven't seen any mods for it.

And the la again! I haven't found a 1301 owner yet to ask things.

The barrel is super easy to change, only a couple of things to take off, no tools required. Not sure if the Comp barrel is compatible with the tactical but I am sure it is. The sight on the front of the tactical is non removeable as far as I know and would not line up with the comp due to the height but can get a mount for the comp to raise it up for the tactical barrel.  Also the charging handle does not get in the way at all for me. I guess some people don't like it if they are left hand shooters I could see it getting annoying but I'am a righty. Only thing I would complain about would be loading rounds with their dual push lever they have and can try to feed 2 rounds into the chamber if you hit it wrong but when you get use to it, it wont bother you any more once you know how to use it. Picture below as to what I am talking about,
Fr3YYh0.jpg

This has I guess what you call three functions to it. One for when you are taking rounds out of the tube ( as you hold it all round come out) and the other for bring a round into the chamber and closing the bolt. Sometimes when I load my rounds I hit the wrong lever and all the rounds try to come into the chamber which can get annoying when you first get it since you have to push them all back in (rookie mistake, never got shown how to use it as the dealer didn't know either so figured everything out on my own). When you get use to it, its really nice just a little learning curve to it but nothing hard to figure out. Now that I am proficient at using it for loading a few rounds, its a breeze now. The good thing about this Beretta is that for 3 gun, most people cant load more than 2 rounds in the tube with out a bracket to help slide it in, this firearm you can load 4 no problem as it is easy to access and no need for that $200+ bracket as most shotguns need it for loading more than 2 rounds. If you can ask a dealer if he can get one for you to look at and try out, would be best.The Recoil on the 1301 is really nice since the bolt twists when a round is fired to reduce a lot of recoil and it helps out a butt ton. I prefer this over my Benelli Super Nova and my Mossburg 835(500). If you lived close to me I would let you shoot my Beretta 1301 Comp if you wanted to because it is at the $1000 price point.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

My first 1911.

It is an entry level 1911 (American Tactical Imports military spec) but it seemed to have positive reviews for the price (a hair over $400).

Took it to the range last weekend and really enjoyed shooting it.

I had a few casing hit me in the forehead but I think that was because I wasn't holding properly and as firmly as I should.

Going back to the range this weekend to run another hundred rounds or so through it and see it it is my grip, the gun needing to be broken in or if the extractor needs some adjustment.

Looking for a nice reflex sight or similar for my AR, but one thing I need is green. Has to have green due to hunting with a red spotlight and a red dot is very hard to see. So show me your recommendations for one. Limit is $400 but can save a little more to go higher if needed.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Poohy14 said:

Looking for a nice reflex sight or similar for my AR, but one thing I need is green. Has to have green due to hunting with a red spotlight and a red dot is very hard to see. So show me your recommendations for one. Limit is $400 but can save a little more to go higher if needed.

The only one I know of that is any quality is the Vortex Strikefire II which has both red and green modes. 

I've had one for five or six years and its respectable for its price point. Can usually be found for just under $200.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/strikefire_II_red_dot

Finally got the XC1 back from Surefire today! Hopefully it holds up.

2017-04-202019.04.32_zpskoih2zdr.jpg

5 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Finally got the XC1 back from Surefire today! Hopefully it holds up.

2017-04-202019.04.32_zpskoih2zdr.jpg

What was wrong with it?

4 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

What was wrong with it?

It had some parasitic loss problems, a battery would only last a week or so if you never touched the light. After a 5 week wait, Surefire sent me a new one. 

Picked up an M&P Sport II new from a local shop for $550.

It is my first AR-15 and I am really looking forward to giving her a go this weekend at the range.

My early impressions with it (having not yet shot any rounds through it) are that it feels reasonably solid and well built.

It feels a little front heavy and the front grip/handguard feels a little cheap (it is all plastic) but for the price I can't really get that upset about such things considering its price and how well everything else about it feels.

P_20170420_153514_HDR[1].jpg

3 hours ago, Snadzies said:

Picked up an M&P Sport II new from a local shop for $550.

It is my first AR-15 and I am really looking forward to giving her a go this weekend at the range.

My early impressions with it (having not yet shot any rounds through it) are that it feels reasonably solid and well built.

It feels a little front heavy and the front grip/handguard feels a little cheap (it is all plastic) but for the price I can't really get that upset about such things considering its price and how well everything else about it feels.

What color is that?  The picture makes it look gold colored.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

What color is that?  The picture makes it look gold colored.

Black.

The lights and walls in my room can give some things a yellowish tint to them.

I had taken a few other pictures messing with the various modes, flash on and off ect and got a more accurate black color but I lost finer details.

My phone is a midrange phone at best and I'd rate my photography skills at "Hurr I tak pikters".

Just now, Snadzies said:

Black.

The lights and walls in my room can give some things a yellowish tint to them.

I had taken a few other pictures messing with the various modes, flash on and off ect and got a more accurate black color but I lost finer details.

My phone is a midrange phone at best and I'd rate my photography skills at "Hurr I tak pikters".

No worries, I'd hardly rate myself even an amateur photographer, either.  I just thought it was odd that it looked gold colored, and wanted to confirm if it was just the picture or if it was the actual color of the gun.

So I put 150 rounds through my AR over the weekend and ho boy that thing is fun.

I had 1 malfunction that was due to user error.

Mom had pulled the charging handle back enough so that it striped a round off the mag but not enough so it went fully into battery.

From my angle I couldn't see a round in the chamber when we checked the chamber so I thought she hadn't pulled it far enough back to strip off a round and when I had her pull the charging handle back fully and release it that caused a double feed.

Once I shook out the two rounds the rifle ran without issue.

I also brought my ATI brand 1911 I mentioned in an earlier post since I took it to the range that first time and this time it ran great.

Suring up my grip and grasping it a bit more firmly seemed to do the trick as in 100 rounds I didn't have any FTEs, FTFs and only had 1 spent case graze my head.

Mom had a single case eject into her glasses.

49 minutes ago, Snadzies said:

So I put 150 rounds through my AR over the weekend and ho boy that thing is fun.

I had 1 malfunction that was due to user error.

Mom had pulled the charging handle back enough so that it striped a round off the mag but not enough so it went fully into battery.

From my angle I couldn't see a round in the chamber when we checked the chamber so I thought she hadn't pulled it far enough back to strip off a round and when I had her pull the charging handle back fully and release it that caused a double feed.

Once I shook out the two rounds the rifle ran without issue.

I also brought my ATI brand 1911 I mentioned in an earlier post since I took it to the range that first time and this time it ran great.

Suring up my grip and grasping it a bit more firmly seemed to do the trick as in 100 rounds I didn't have any FTEs, FTFs and only had 1 spent case graze my head.

Mom had a single case eject into her glasses.

Sounds like fun!

I know the M&P 15s are usually pretty decent rifles. I'm glad everything seems to be running well.

I think the only failures I've ever seen (except for tuning gas systems) has been when I let a new person try it and they either short stroke the charging handle or ride it forward. It seems those are pretty common errors with newer shooters. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since no one has posted in a couple weeks, I thought I'd revive the thread again.

Went the range last week after work, since it was about time to clean my gun anyway (I try to clean it every 2-3 weeks without firing, or - of course - after every time it has been fired).  Not sure if it's my grip, my sight or just bad aim, but I didn't hit a single bullseye from 9-10 feet.  I wasn't expecting to hit all bullseyes of course (though I did pretty decent overall), I was still hoping to get at least one, even if it was by accident. o.O

xD

I probably just need to practice more.  I don't get a lot of chances to make it to the range, and I can't afford to burn through that much ammo anyway.  I just really wish there was some outdoor ranges to choose from around me.  Indoor ranges are fine, but I'd much rather be outdoors when shooting.  The only outdoor ranges I found were either shotguns only or bow/arrow only. :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got myself a new rife to work on. 1894 Brazilian Mauser 7mm. the stock is a bad condition but can be fixed and the barrel is actually good and looks like I will be able to shoot it with low grain (for safety). I shall post pictures of it soon when I get my new phone. Also, was shooting over the weekend with my AR and my Rise Armament trigger decided to double feed and it you pull the trigger just right it runs in full auto as the hammer rides the bolt carrier. So, I sent them a message and they will be sending me a replacement trigger hopefully.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler