Smoking Barrels - LTT's Unnofficial Gun Club!

Jack.EXE
1 hour ago, Thunderpup said:

What are you using to color fill?  If you are using nail polish then make sure to use a lighter shade of red.  I used a darker one and so it isn't as noticeable as i'd like it on my AR. 

Yeah I was using nail polish, its easy to come by. Also thanks for the advice, I will try to see if I can find a light red.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

31 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

Yeah I was using nail polish, its easy to come by. Also thanks for the advice, I will try to see if I can find a light red.

NP on the advice.  Let me know what you end up using and how it turns out as i've yet to get around to re-trying it with a lighter shade.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

I saw this last night; very good news.

Look at the date on the cover page. Someone feels the winds of change and wants to be on the winning side of this one. 

The only time I can remember the ATF actually being remotely on the right side of these issue. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

21 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I saw this last night; very good news.

Look at the date on the cover page. Someone feels the winds of change and wants to be on the winning side of this one. 

The only time I can remember the ATF actually being remotely on the right side of these issue. 

I just hope this is true about suppressors,
also allow the imports surplus firearms like old Greek/South Korea M1 Garands (that can only be a dream)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Poohy14 said:

I just hope this is true about suppressors,
also allow the imports surplus firearms like old Greek/South Korea M1 Garands (that can only be a dream)

If you haven't seen it, here is a PDF of the document. 

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Read-the-white-paper-on-firearms-regulations.pdf

The Suppressor section is very interesting considering the Hearing Protection Act currently in congressional committee. Fingers crossed, I'd suppress everything. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

10 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Btw if anyone hasn't already signed it.  There is a whitehouse petition regarding the repeal of the NFA.

There probably wont be a more ideal situation for it to go away or get gutted than now.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa

Signed mine 2 weeks ago. when It was a little less than 7,000

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

Btw if anyone hasn't already signed it.  There is a whitehouse petition regarding the repeal of the NFA.

There probably wont be a more ideal situation for it to go away or get gutted than now.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/repeal-nfa

Yeah, I signed it a while back. 

I've never seen these kinds of petitions get anything done, but it cant hurt. 

Shit, I'd settle for the Hughes amendment being scrapped and the HPA passing. 

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Yeah, I signed it a while back. 

I've never seen these kinds of petitions get anything done, but it cant hurt. 

Shit, I'd settle for the Hughes amendment being scrapped and the HPA passing. 

Ditto on all counts.

I'd be alright if they repealed Hughes, and then amended the NFA to drop suppressors and shortened the length requirement of rifles and shotguns something more reasonable. 

Well I got my trigger for my AR put in and I was finally able to test my lower to see if it cycled right, and everything worked just fine. Will have to buy my new upper next month. Also on another note, build my friends AR for him last night, nice rifle parts he got. Everything was from Aero besides the Trigger was Rise Armament RA-140, and the BCG was a Toolcraft which was super nice quality that I might invest in.

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Server

Spoiler

I like guns, but because of my mental state I'm not legally allowed to buy them.

2 hours ago, EPENEX said:

I like guns, but because of my mental state I'm not legally allowed to buy them.

what about airsoft? 

3 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

what about airsoft? 

That's like wearing a condom during sex- I'd rather just jack off and imagine the real thing.

7 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

That's like wearing a condom during sex- I'd rather just jack off and imagine the real thing.

how about archery then?  it does a fairly decent job of scratching that itch and you can even do it in the backyard...usually

1 minute ago, Thunderpup said:

how about archery then?  it does a fairly decent job of scratching that itch and you can even do it in the backyard...usually

Last time I tried that I cut my finger pretty badly.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone find proof that bullets don't "expire" after 1 year when properly stored?

My moron brother took a concealed carry class, because he wants a taser not a gun but still needs the permit to buy one in Wisconsin, and now he's being obnoxious about saying that he was told bullets go bad after about a year.

While I don't know how long they can last I know I've seen gun shows where decades old ammo has been fired and was perfectly fine.

I need sources to show him he's wrong so he'll quit acting like a know it all after taking a 4 hour class.  

6 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Can someone find proof that bullets don't "expire" after 1 year when properly stored?

My moron brother took a concealed carry class, because he wants a taser not a gun but still needs the permit to buy one in Wisconsin, and now he's being obnoxious about saying that he was told bullets go bad after about a year.

While I don't know how long they can last I know I've seen gun shows where decades old ammo has been fired and was perfectly fine.

I need sources to show him he's wrong so he'll quit acting like a know it all after taking a 4 hour class.  

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/old-ammo-will-it-still-work

Older ammo is fine as long as it's not corroded or has the bullet pushed back into the case.

I generally cycle my carry and home defense ammo once a year, but I have and have shot range fodder ammo that was over 10 years old.

5 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/old-ammo-will-it-still-work

Older ammo is fine as long as it's not corroded or has the bullet pushed back into the case.

I generally cycle my carry and home defense ammo once a year, but I have and have shot range fodder ammo that was over 10 years old.

Thank you.  I really appreciate you finding this for me.  

I'd tried googling this myself but I kept finding gun forums and random people offering their opinions.  Which is fine of course assuming these people were basing things on experience or fact, but my brother is the sort of person who would shrug off that stuff by saying something like "the class instructor is an expert these people are not".

I can understand replacing bullets that are intended to be used in a self defense situation even if they're likely fine since you need to be certain they'll work if needed.  The problem here is my brother is mistaking the instructor's opinion/personal preference for swapping defense ammo with an approximate expiration date.

The problem is made worse by my brother's tendency to have to be right even when he's defintely not and multiple people even tell him so.  

I kept trying to tell him that ammo will certainly last well over a year so long as it is properly stored but he wouldn't listen.

I very much appreciate the help.

One more question for you or anyone who cares to answer: is .380 a suitable caliber to begin learning to shoot or would .22 be a better option?

I've never shot a gun but I'm considering trying to get into it.  I was thinking about a .22 since the recoil should be as low as possible.  But at least a few years ago I thought I'd heard there was a shortage of .22 ammo because people were buying up tons of it and hoarding it.  Idk if that's still true or not.

I'm considering looking at .380 instead since it should be another common caliber so hopefully ammo wouldn't be hard to find or overly expensive yet not too much recoil for a newbie shooter.

19 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Thank you.  I really appreciate you finding this for me.  

I'd tried googling this myself but I kept finding gun forums and random people offering their opinions.  Which is fine of course assuming these people were basing things on experience or fact, but my brother is the sort of person who would shrug off that stuff by saying something like "the class instructor is an expert these people are not".

I can understand replacing bullets that are intended to be used in a self defense situation even if they're likely fine since you need to be certain they'll work if needed.  The problem here is my brother is mistaking the instructor's opinion/personal preference for swapping defense ammo with an approximate expiration date.

The problem is made worse by my brother's tendency to have to be right even when he's defintely not and multiple people even tell him so.  

I kept trying to tell him that ammo will certainly last well over a year so long as it is properly stored but he wouldn't listen.

I very much appreciate the help.

No problem at all. :)

After a yearish I just shoot my carry/HD ammo, and have NEVER had one fail to fire. I've heard people claim that ammo older than X years is going to be bad, but in reality unless the case is too corroded to get into the chamber or the powder has gotten wet, it'll still fire. At least for modern cased ammo.

There is a bit of an issue with the firearms community believing that their preferred instructor is the be-all-end-all when it comes to firearms, when the reality is everyone is constantly learning and evolving. I think your brother probably just took the simple practice of cycling duty ammo out of context and thought all ammo has a strict one year life on it, which is simply not true. 

25 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

One more question for you or anyone who cares to answer: is .380 a suitable caliber to begin learning to shoot or would .22 be a better option?

I've never shot a gun but I'm considering trying to get into it.  I was thinking about a .22 since the recoil should be as low as possible.  But at least a few years ago I thought I'd heard there was a shortage of .22 ammo because people were buying up tons of it and hoarding it.  Idk if that's still true or not.

I'm considering looking at .380 instead since it should be another common caliber so hopefully ammo wouldn't be hard to find or overly expensive yet not too much recoil for a newbie shooter.

The only real issue with .380 is that it's not particularly popular so ammo is actually more expensive than most 9mm. As for .380 vs .22lr, I'd go with .22lr as ammo is more available and cheaper than .380 plus there are a ton more guns chambered in .22lr than .380. 

People are still hording .22lr a bit, but it's pretty easy to find now. 

If you really really want to go centerfire, 9mm is probably your best bet. 

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

No problem at all. :)

After a yearish I just shoot my carry/HD ammo, and have NEVER had one fail to fire. I've heard people claim that ammo older than X years is going to be bad, but in reality unless the case is too corroded to get into the chamber or the powder has gotten wet, it'll still fire. At least for modern cased ammo.

There is a bit of an issue with the firearms community believing that their preferred instructor is the be-all-end-all when it comes to firearms, when the reality is everyone is constantly learning and evolving. I think your brother probably just took the simple practice of cycling duty ammo out of context and thought all ammo has a strict one year life on it, which is simply not true. 

The only real issue with .380 is that it's not particularly popular so ammo is actually more expensive than most 9mm. As for .380 vs .22lr, I'd go with .22lr as ammo is more available and cheaper than .380 plus there are a ton more guns chambered in .22lr than .380. 

People are still hording .22lr a bit, but it's pretty easy to find now. 

If you really really want to go centerfire, 9mm is probably your best bet. 

My brother is a about as anti-gun as you can get, hence the taser.  Also it's not really his preferred instructor since he only sat in a class the one time for a few hours.  

He just latched onto the instructor's opinion on replacing ammo after a year to be a jerk it would seem.  ?

Really?  I would've thought .380 would be more popular due to being lower powered, I think, compared to 9mm.   

9mm is a fairly powerful bullet isn't it?

Is there much difference in reliability or any notable differences between center vs rimfired bullets?

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Really?  I would've thought .380 would be more popular due to being lower powered, I think, compared to 9mm.   

9mm is a fairly powerful bullet isn't it?

Is there much difference in reliability or any notable differences between center vs rimfired bullets?

.380 is more popular in Europe and places that restrict "military calibers" since .380 is not an issued caliber for NATO it escapes those restrictions.

9mm in the US is orders of magnitude more popular than .380, that's why it's cheaper even with a heavier projectile and more powder. It is reasonably powerful, but nothing that even a new shooter couldn't handle. That said, .22lr is probably a better starter round as it has very little recoil and a lot quieter, which make it less intimidating.

My first handgun was a Walther P22 in .22lr, I still have it, and still shoot it from time to time.

As far as reliability goes, center-fire is going to be more reliable. There are some pretty good .22lr rounds (CCI minimags for example) but even the good ones aren't going to be as reliable as a center-fire cartridge. I'm not talking about a 1% failure rate either, most .22lr ammo you could expect somewhere between a 0.1-0.5% failure rate. Center-fire failure rates are as close to negligible as you can imagine. 

52 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

.380 is more popular in Europe and places that restrict "military calibers" since .380 is not an issued caliber for NATO it escapes those restrictions.

9mm in the US is orders of magnitude more popular than .380, that's why it's cheaper even with a heavier projectile and more powder. It is reasonably powerful, but nothing that even a new shooter couldn't handle. That said, .22lr is probably a better starter round as it has very little recoil and a lot quieter, which make it less intimidating.

My first handgun was a Walther P22 in .22lr, I still have it, and still shoot it from time to time.

As far as reliability goes, center-fire is going to be more reliable. There are some pretty good .22lr rounds (CCI minimags for example) but even the good ones aren't going to be as reliable as a center-fire cartridge. I'm not talking about a 1% failure rate either, most .22lr ammo you could expect somewhere between a 0.1-0.5% failure rate. Center-fire failure rates are as close to negligible as you can imagine. 

Why would .22lr be rimfire then?    For that matter why make rimfire at all?  

If center fire is better, even if rimfire is still plenty good enough, I'm confused why both exist?