Case : NZXT H440

CPU & cooling : i5 6600k + Cooler Master 212 evo

Motherboard : Asus Z170-A

GPU : Asus r9 390 (non-strix :\)

RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM

PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 PLUS Bronze

Monitor : Asus VS228NE 22" 1080p

PS : I rely only on my local store because if I ordered something from the internet it'd cost much more money and time (shipping, customs, taxes ..etc) .. therefore my options are limited. However; I can :

1- get an i7 4790k with a cheaper z97 mobo and RAM, it'll cost the same as the system above.

2- Or, i could get an i5 4460, cheaper H81 mobo, cheaper RAM and keep the stock cpu cooler. The money saved can be spent on a 1440p monitor. The 4460 is better for 1440p gaming than at 1080p if i'm not mistaken.

If you were to decide, which one would you choose ?

Id stick with the 6600K.

How much is this whole build costing you?

@mhmd199

Hey guys;

I'm planning to get these in a week or so :

PS : I rely only on my local store because if I ordered something from the internet it'd cost much more money and time (shipping, customs, taxes ..etc) .. therefore my options are limited. However; I can :

1- get an i7 4790k with a cheaper z97 mobo and RAM, it'll cost the same as the system above.

2- Or, i could get an i5 4460, cheaper H81 mobo, cheaper RAM and keep the stock cpu cooler. The money saved can be spent on a 1440p monitor. The 4460 is better for 1440p gaming than at 1080p if i'm not mistaken.

If you were to decide, which one would you choose ?

What regiona re you buying your stuff in?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

-snip-

Don't forget to follow your topics.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Id stick with the 6600K.

How much is this whole build costing you?

@mhmd199

almost $1550 ... but as i said, the taxes & customs in my country are really high. it's so annoying :(

almost $1550 ... but as i said, the taxes & customs in my country are really high. it's so annoying :(

Ah that's a shame man!

Either way id defo stay with the 6600K :)

What regiona re you buying your stuff in?

Jordan (mideast)

its good but an SSD would do wonders.

Unfortunately i can't afford that. Stuff here are like 50% more expensive than in the US... if not more.

example : the CM 212 evo costs $64 here, more than double its American price :(

Ah that's a shame man!

Either way id defo stay with the 6600K :)

thank you. Yes i think i'll stick with the 6600k

Jordan (mideast)

Unfortunately i can't afford that. Stuff here are like 50% more expensive than in the US... if not more.

Damn :( I feel you bro 

you are overspending on the case and psu. An evga g2 650w is enough, you can get cheaper cases, and you NEED an SSD and a better monitor. Do you have the ASUS 21.5' VX229H 5MS AH-IPS monitor?

you are overspending on the case and psu. An evga g2 650w is enough, you can get cheaper cases, and you NEED an SSD and a better monitor. Do you have the ASUS 21.5' VX229H 5MS AH-IPS monitor?

I can get a cheaper case like the CM HAF 912, the CM k380 and the Corsair Carbide SPEC-1. These cases have a really bad build quality and only 2 fans (bad ones) out of the box, and i couldn't even find decent reviews on them because not much people buy them. The h440 has an amazing 4 stock fans, excellent build quality and is silent

I wanted to buy a decent 650w PSU, but all are out of stock. I won't buy from the internet because of the reasons i mentioned.

No, that monitor isn't available :( better monitors are significantly more expensive than the one i want to buy. I can't afford that or an ssd :\

but anyway, do you think going with the i5 6600k is the best choice ?

you can get cheaper cases like the nzxt s340, fractal arc midi and others which are cheaper and still offer great features and build quality

to be honest i would just get a ssd and throw in a hard drive later. Get a crucial bx100, wich are very good for the price. The difference in load times is huge.

you can get cheaper cases like the nzxt s340, fractal arc midi and others which are cheaper and still offer great features and build quality

to be honest i would just get a ssd and throw in a hard drive later. Get a crucial bx100, wich are very good for the price. The difference in load times is huge.

I considered the nzxt s340, but the difference between it and the h440 is so small ($35) and won't make me able to get a better monitor.

hmmm I can get a Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB instead of the seagate and pay some additional bucks, but I'm not sure if 240 GB will be enough.

do you think that this ssd is good ? i searched for reviews and found mixed results.

v300´s aren´t very good, crucial bx series or mx series are better.

though i think skylake is a bit overpriced at the moment. Unless you think youre going to use the new chipsts features soon, i would stick with haswell. If you can go with the i5 4690k, a good reliable z97 motherboard (not the cheapest one, look for msi gaming 3, asus z97-k and others) and the 212 evo, you could buy a SSD + HD, SSDs are mandatory nowadays, they make the system so much more fluid :)

v300´s aren´t very good, crucial bx series or mx series are better.

though i think skylake is a bit overpriced at the moment. Unless you think youre going to use the new chipsts features soon, i would stick with haswell. If you can go with the i5 4690k, a good reliable z97 motherboard (not the cheapest one, look for msi gaming 3, asus z97-k and others) and the 212 evo, you could buy a SSD + HD, SSDs are mandatory nowadays, they make the system so much more fluid :)

they don't have the crucial mx or bx, but i can get a samsung 850 evo 120 gb. but that storage isn't enough for me even for the first week :)

the 4690k has the same price as the 6600k, so getting the Haswell plus a good z97 won't save me any money, so i think the best thing to do now is to stick with the HDD and saving for a good ssd. My budget is limited and the prices here are crippling, Yes I know what difference good SSD's can make, but the only way for me to afford them is by getting an r9 380 instead of the 390. I'd rather stay with the hdd + r9 390 now because fps is what matters for a gamer :D

Anyway thanks for the advice, i won't be getting a v300... i'll save some money to get a good intel or samsung ssd ^^

Jordan (mideast)

Get an SSD. You can fit it in your budget.

Let's break this down a little.

The case is fine. The CPU and cooling are fine too. GPU is fine, generally with hard drives you can move up to 2TB without too much expenditure, but if you don't have many storage needs it's fine.

The motherboard could be a bit cheaper, it's probably going to cost you a significant amount. It doesn't hurt much to get a motherboard that fits only your requirements (rather than one with a bunch of features you don't necessarily need).

The power supply is a little overkill for what you're going to be running. Do you plan to add another R9 390 in in the future? If so, it's fine but if not I'd drop that down to a 550W or 600W if you can.

The monitor is pretty meh, but if you can see it in person and tell the quality firsthand, it's a preference thing I guess. It won't blow you away but it's fine.

The RAM is pretty overkill, you don't need 2400MHz RAM. It might be cheaper where you are, but where I am to move up from 2133 to 2400 is like a $100 difference. Just make sure it's DDR4 and you're fine.

Grab an SSD. It doesn't have to be 500GB or even 250GB, just a plain 120GB SSD at minimum will improve your general use speeds significantly. Doesn't even need to be a new SSD or a particularly fast one like an Intel 750 Series. The best price to performance SSDs are usually Samsung 840/850 Evos.

If you lower the PSU wattage to 600W, maybe lower the RAM, maybe lower the motherboard you can fit a 250GB SSD in that budget pretty easily. You don't need to lower them drastically, but last generation 120GB SSDs go for $70 (where I live, which is typically 30-40% higher cost than USA) which is absolutely nothing compared to your PC spec costs.

Get an SSD. You can fit it in your budget.

Let's break this down a little.

The case is fine. The CPU and cooling are fine too. GPU is fine, generally with hard drives you can move up to 2TB without too much expenditure, but if you don't have many storage needs it's fine.

The motherboard could be a bit cheaper, it's probably going to cost you a significant amount. It doesn't hurt much to get a motherboard that fits only your requirements (rather than one with a bunch of features you don't necessarily need).

The power supply is a little overkill for what you're going to be running. Do you plan to add another R9 390 in in the future? If so, it's fine but if not I'd drop that down to a 550W or 600W if you can.

The monitor is pretty meh, but if you can see it in person and tell the quality firsthand, it's a preference thing I guess. It won't blow you away but it's fine.

The RAM is pretty overkill, you don't need 2400MHz RAM. It might be cheaper where you are, but where I am to move up from 2133 to 2400 is like a $100 difference. Just make sure it's DDR4 and you're fine.

Grab an SSD. It doesn't have to be 500GB or even 250GB, just a plain 120GB SSD at minimum will improve your general use speeds significantly. Doesn't even need to be a new SSD or a particularly fast one like an Intel 750 Series. The best price to performance SSDs are usually Samsung 840/850 Evos.

If you lower the PSU wattage to 600W, maybe lower the RAM, maybe lower the motherboard you can fit a 250GB SSD in that budget pretty easily. You don't need to lower them drastically, but last generation 120GB SSDs go for $70 (where I live, which is typically 30-40% higher cost than USA) which is absolutely nothing compared to your PC spec costs.

the problem is that my local store is my only hope. If I want to buy from Amazon (for example),I have to wait more than 10 days for shipping in the US + international shipping, and spend tons of extra money on customs and taxes. so for the mobo, the cheapest z170 on newegg was a gigabyte for $115, if i want to get that one then i'm sure i'll end up paying the same as the z170-A.

as for the PSU, I wanted to get a 600w evga psu, but the 390 requires a 650w psu with at least 50 amps at the 12v rail, while that psu delivers only 49 amps on the 12v rail. I know it would probably work but i won't risk destroying or limiting my $444 GPU because i wanted to save $25, also the 750w is more future proof.

same applies to the RAM, this is the cheapest DDR4 in the store.

I know that SSD's are a must in all high end builds, but I couldn't find a way to get a less expensive components. i will try to save money to get a good 120 gb ssd ASAP :)