IPS, IPS, IPS.... what IPS???

Tech Lover

hi.

some of guys here have really tangled my mind. everybody is advocating IPS over TN, even for gaming here!

but not many saying that here, (i guess), own or have used an IPS for everything, gaming and other usage on PC.

i have been looking at TONS of videos and i have read a tens of reviews online. but no one declares the TRUE IPS winner in terms of overall performance. 

some say dell ips is awesome some say asus ips PA series is awesome but when it comes to gaming part the review goes like meh....

so here is my question to all who have actually used both TN 120Hz and IPS displays, Whats so good about IPS than TN?

dont know if i m clear in stating my question but here, i try one more time. 

Best Gaming TN displays are Asus VG248QE and BenQ XL2420T, hands down....

but what about IPS? what IPS displays are best for normal usage (watching videos, photos, internet browsing etc) and ALSO gaming?

personally i prefer 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 cause 1440p requires lots of horse power. but pls guys for the love of TECH, once and for all, which monitors do u think are the best IPS FULL HD or 1440? pls declare ur choices and convice me to choose IPS over TN

(this would be my last thread about displays.. *phew*)

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

Dell u2412 , u2312

Asus PA246q , PA248Q

i5 3570k | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | Crucial M4 128GB | WD 1 TB Black |

I use the PA238Q. I went from a 1MS BenQ monitor to this and the difference is day and night. The quality is so much better on the IPS that comparing TN to IPS panels is an insult. I didn't notice any performance difference in terms of the MS.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

I have use a Dell U2713HM and I have used my friends 120hz monitor and I prefer the high resolution. Unless you play a twitch style game that you need the extra frames the IPS monitor would be a better display since it also looks nice in everyday things like watching youtube. On the horsepower part if you turn down AA to about 2x or use fxaa you get your 1080p performance back if you were using 8xmsaa etc. 120hz you would also need the horsepower since to play most games to run 120fps you need to A. turn down setting really low or B. get a 2nd video card. Dell and Asus monitors are very close in design it is small differences like the dell u2312hm has 0.6ms of input lag or the PA248Q comes color calibrated over the U2412HM.

Since I have a 2560x1440 monitor I have to vouch for that since it is just a really nice monitor, 27in is a nice size for me and the colors are absolutely fantastic. I have a game that always kept on my laptop which has a TN panel and then I decided one day to play it on my desktop and I was blown away by the difference in color and how it looked.

check this out 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Yeah, and let me ask something...They all tell you that "if you a FPS gamer then you definitely should buy 120Hz/144Hz monitor" and "if you a PROFESSIONAL FOTO/VIDEO EDITOR then you definitely buy IPS monitor" ! BUT what if someone actually plays FPS game genre and also other game genres, watching movies and browsing and want to have good colors??? I guess today we only have two opposite choises and that sucks big time! Well, not everyone has money or space to actually buy TWO monitors or more(O.o).

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Unless you're a pro gamer, IPS is the way to go. You won't notice the 120Hz/144Hz difference from a 60Hz, especially if the game you play doesn't get 60+ fps lol. You will always notice the extreme detail in an IPS monitor. Plus you can also get 1440p on an IPS monitor...it's so beautiful.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Unless you're a pro gamer, IPS is the way to go. You won't notice the 120Hz/144Hz difference from a 60Hz, especially if the game you play doesn't get 60+ fps lol. You will always notice the extreme detail in an IPS monitor. Plus you can also get 1440p on an IPS monitor...it's so beautiful.

Yeah, and let me ask something...They all tell you that "if you a FPS gamer then you definitely should buy 120Hz/144Hz monitor" and "if you a PROFESSIONAL FOTO/VIDEO EDITOR then you definitely buy IPS monitor" ! BUT what if someone actually plays FPS game genre and also other game genres, watching movies and browsing and want to have good colors??? I guess today we only have two opposite choises and that sucks big time! Well, not everyone has money or space to actually buy TWO monitors or more(O.o).

+1 In-plane Switching

check this out 

I have use a Dell U2713HM and I have used my friends 120hz monitor and I prefer the high resolution. Unless you play a twitch style game that you need the extra frames the IPS monitor would be a better display since it also looks nice in everyday things like watching youtube. On the horsepower part if you turn down AA to about 2x or use fxaa you get your 1080p performance back if you were using 8xmsaa etc. 120hz you would also need the horsepower since to play most games to run 120fps you need to A. turn down setting really low or B. get a 2nd video card. Dell and Asus monitors are very close in design it is small differences like the dell u2312hm has 0.6ms of input lag or the PA248Q comes color calibrated over the U2412HM.

Since I have a 2560x1440 monitor I have to vouch for that since it is just a really nice monitor, 27in is a nice size for me and the colors are absolutely fantastic. I have a game that always kept on my laptop which has a TN panel and then I decided one day to play it on my desktop and I was blown away by the difference in color and how it looked.

I use the PA238Q. I went from a 1MS BenQ monitor to this and the difference is day and night. The quality is so much better on the IPS that comparing TN to IPS panels is an insult. I didn't notice any performance difference in terms of the MS.

Dell u2412 , u2312

Asus PA246q , PA248Q

ok thanks all. but one last question.

i only play BF3 multiplayer and will be getting BF4 InshaAllah. currently i get about 80fps but my monitor is "grand maa" old 60Hz Hp 1280x1024 monitor i run at ultra settings. if i gupgrade to 60Hz 1440p IPS, as i am going to upgrade to an i7 4770K build with another Gtx 670, will i be getting proper display of my fps? i mean i will be definitely be getting more than 60fps.

Current Rig: Intel core i7 4770K Stock 4.5G, Asus Maximus VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 16Gb (8Gx2), 2x SLi Gigabyte Geforce GTX 670 2Gb GDDR5 3X Windforce Edition, Corsair Hydro Series H100i (Push), JDS LABS O2/ODAC combo, Fiio E18 KUNLUN, Asus Xonar Essence STX (secondary PC), Sennheiser HD700, Hifiman HE 400i, Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm, Sennheiser HD 518, Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+, Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced, Samsun4g DVD R/W Combo, 3X Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED fans, LG IPS 23EA73, Logitech G710 BLUE, BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 Edition,Logitech G402 HYPERION FURY, Bloody Core V7, SteelSeries QcK Mass MiBR mouse pad

With sli gtx 670 most likely as long as you don't go crazy with the AA and blow thorough all your Vram.

i only play BF3 multiplayer and will be getting BF4 InshaAllah. currently i get about 80fps but my monitor is "grand maa" old 60Hz Hp 1280x1024 monitor i run at ultra settings. if i gupgrade to 60Hz 1440p IPS, as i am going to upgrade to an i7 4770K build with another Gtx 670, will i be getting proper display of my fps? i mean i will be definitely be getting more than 60fps.

What cpu do you have now? It will probably be fine and I'd put all that money into a good GPU like a 780 instead.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

What cpu do you have now? It will probably be fine and I'd put all that money into a good GPU like a 780 instead.

i7 860 :D

i7 860 :D

Not too familiar with it but I feel like it should be fine if you have it OC. A 670 will definitely bottleneck you on BF4 @ 1440p.

GTX 670? Don't bother with 120Hz monitor then. U can't hit 120fps on bf4 maxed out. So ur eye can't tell at all.

Tech Lover, on 11 Aug 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

hi.

some of guys here have really tangled my mind. everybody is advocating IPS over TN, even for gaming here!

but not many saying that here, (i guess), own or have used an IPS for everything, gaming and other usage on PC.

i have been looking at TONS of videos and i have read a tens of reviews online. but no one declares the TRUE IPS winner in terms of overall performance.

There is no perfect monitor. EVER. Even if you buy 38 000$ monitor from EIZO, it will have downsides (mainly high input lag, and no care on response time, as their monitors are designed for color critical work or medical/surgical/clinical fields, and not games or entertainment.

some say dell ips is awesome some say asus ips PA series is awesome but when it comes to gaming part the review goes like meh....

Dell and ASUS are on very tight race. Back in 2009, the choice was simple: Dell U2711, or U2410. That, or pay almost double for the same panel, with a bit less feature and reduce quality for near double the price, and no upsides what's so ever, for the name LG.

Dell pretty much has the monopoly, and this is at this point where ASUS got in the game, and be serious about manufacturing monitors, and introduces 120Hz TN line monitors, and ProArt series.

What was special with the U2410/U2711 was the extreme high build quality that massacre anything on the market, high grade CFL back light which just crushed white LED back light (beside contrast, as the back light is right behind the panel, and not at the bottom), in providing professional grade white, input lag was low for an IPS panel at the time, and response time was beating most 60Hz TN panels, and was competing with the best of the best TN 60Hz panels.

It was so popular, that some professionals got interested in it... then bashed it, and it doesn't competed with their $1.5-2k+ monitors (beside build quality and looks). But, beside that, it was the best monitor you could get for the money by a long shot. This is the set of monitor that put Dell on the map for monitors, and started to push affordable decent IPS panels from that point on.

Dell isn't as good now as they used to be. Since the last refresh of monitor, looks drops a lot, monitor has less features, QC has dropped, and build quality has drop to the rest of the high-end monitor from the competitors, so it's still great.

so here is my question to all who have actually used both TN 120Hz and IPS displays, Whats so good about IPS than TN?

I haven't per say used a 120Hz on a daily basis, but I have experienced it.

120Hz does make a difference. But it depends... 120Hz is noticeable and enjoyable if you play FPS games, and you have the computational power to play your FPS games at 120Hz. In any other genre of games, you don't see a difference, beside a bit smoother mouse animation and moving windows in Windows if you pay close attention. But the down side is color reproduction.

An IPS panel will shine everywhere, on anything you do, including your Windows desktop wallpaper. But, it's 60Hz.

Basically, its a free upgrade on game visuals, as game graphics will look noticeably nicer, and you really enjoy more the art style of the game. Other advantages of going to an IPS panel, are that you get perfect view angles, so you can sit how you want, where you want (beside behind the monitor), and you'll perfectly see the monitor with no color shift. Also, the monitor is more sharp (not hugely more sharp), as every pixel/sub-pixel is more filled edge to edge, making the monitor equally sharp if the monitor is on landscape or portrait mode. So if you plan to rotate your monitor, this is a nice upside, else not so much, it won't be really visible, depending on the monitor your come from. Another advantage is the low to 0 back light bleeding (the more you pay, the less you have back light bleeding, basically). Making wide screen movies and games more enjoyable, and colors aren't affected even if you have some level of back light bleeding, which is nice. Alos, in most models, back light bleeding is only visible on full black screen. The down side is that the monitor has something called "IPS glow" effect, where, on a full black screen, all 4 corner has what it looks like a back light bleeding, but isn't, it's a glow effetc, that disappear was you move your head towards it. This can be significantly reduces by implementing a ATW-polirizer, which basically polarizes the LCD grid, but this is very costly process. It's only done on SELECT professional grade monitors.

but what about IPS? what IPS displays are best for normal usage (watching videos, photos, internet browsing etc) and ALSO gaming?

personally i prefer 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 cause 1440p requires lots of horse power. but pls guys for the love of TECH, once and for all, which monitors do u think are the best IPS FULL HD or 1440? pls declare ur choices and convice me to choose IPS over TN

As I said, the choices varies on your budget, and what you prioritize more: colors, response time, input lag, features, color reproduction, etc.

GTX 670? Don't bother with 120Hz monitor then. U can't hit 120fps on bf4 maxed out. So ur eye can't tell at all.

The fps doesn't matter. The 120Hz TN panel has a much faster pixel response time than any 60Hz IPS. This improves fluidity of motion regardless of whether you can drive 120fps.

Maybe it is a silly question but do anyone know how are the colors and picture overall on these 120Hz monitors compared to Samsung T220 monitor? Are they better or the same?

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

IPS is so much better than TN it isn't funny. The difference between 2ms response time and 8ms is so negligible that it really doesn't matter, and 120hz isn't going to increase your K:D or APM. I game on my 2560x1440 monitor daily and it's fantastic.

inb4 OnGun says get a crappy Korean monitor (with no warranty, no features and no real sense of quality) and OC it  <_<

Edit:

BF4 @ 2560x1440 will need to be played on medium to high settings to get consistent 60fps or higher. I get 50-80fps with my 7950 OC'd (and 2500k)on BF3.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I've had a TN LCD monitor, high end laptop with one (series 7 chronos), and now a 21:9 IPS.

I notice NOTHING different in terms of FPS games. They play exactly the same in my opinion. Playing at 120Hz feels exactly the same too. But, with IPS, it looks brighter and colors look prettier.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I have use a crappy £90 Asus TN 75Hz pannel and a £210 Dell IPS 60Hz pannel  and the difference in colour quality is night and day. Could not go back to TN even if it was a 120Hz "gaming" monitor.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

With sli gtx 670 most likely as long as you don't go crazy with the AA and blow thorough all your Vram.

There is no perfect monitor. EVER. Even if you buy 38 000$ monitor from EIZO, it will have downsides (mainly high input lag, and no care on response time, as their monitors are designed for color critical work or medical/surgical/clinical fields, and not games or entertainment.

Dell and ASUS are on very tight race. Back in 2009, the choice was simple: Dell U2711, or U2410. That, or pay almost double for the same panel, with a bit less feature and reduce quality for near double the price, and no upsides what's so ever, for the name LG.

Dell pretty much has the monopoly, and this is at this point where ASUS got in the game, and be serious about manufacturing monitors, and introduces 120Hz TN line monitors, and ProArt series.

What was special with the U2410/U2711 was the extreme high build quality that massacre anything on the market, high grade CFL back light which just crushed white LED back light (beside contrast, as the back light is right behind the panel, and not at the bottom), in providing professional grade white, input lag was low for an IPS panel at the time, and response time was beating most 60Hz TN panels, and was competing with the best of the best TN 60Hz panels.

It was so popular, that some professionals got interested in it... then bashed it, and it doesn't competed with their $1.5-2k+ monitors (beside build quality and looks). But, beside that, it was the best monitor you could get for the money by a long shot. This is the set of monitor that put Dell on the map for monitors, and started to push affordable decent IPS panels from that point on.

Dell isn't as good now as they used to be. Since the last refresh of monitor, looks drops a lot, monitor has less features, QC has dropped, and build quality has drop to the rest of the high-end monitor from the competitors, so it's still great.

I haven't per say used a 120Hz on a daily basis, but I have experienced it.

120Hz does make a difference. But it depends... 120Hz is noticeable and enjoyable if you play FPS games, and you have the computational power to play your FPS games at 120Hz. In any other genre of games, you don't see a difference, beside a bit smoother mouse animation and moving windows in Windows if you pay close attention. But the down side is color reproduction.

An IPS panel will shine everywhere, on anything you do, including your Windows desktop wallpaper. But, it's 60Hz.

Basically, its a free upgrade on game visuals, as game graphics will look noticeably nicer, and you really enjoy more the art style of the game. Other advantages of going to an IPS panel, are that you get perfect view angles, so you can sit how you want, where you want (beside behind the monitor), and you'll perfectly see the monitor with no color shift. Also, the monitor is more sharp (not hugely more sharp), as every pixel/sub-pixel is more filled edge to edge, making the monitor equally sharp if the monitor is on landscape or portrait mode. So if you plan to rotate your monitor, this is a nice upside, else not so much, it won't be really visible, depending on the monitor your come from. Another advantage is the low to 0 back light bleeding (the more you pay, the less you have back light bleeding, basically). Making wide screen movies and games more enjoyable, and colors aren't affected even if you have some level of back light bleeding, which is nice. Alos, in most models, back light bleeding is only visible on full black screen. The down side is that the monitor has something called "IPS glow" effect, where, on a full black screen, all 4 corner has what it looks like a back light bleeding, but isn't, it's a glow effetc, that disappear was you move your head towards it. This can be significantly reduces by implementing a ATW-polirizer, which basically polarizes the LCD grid, but this is very costly process. It's only done on SELECT professional grade monitors.

As I said, the choices varies on your budget, and what you prioritize more: colors, response time, input lag, features, color reproduction, etc.

The fps doesn't matter. The 120Hz TN panel has a much faster pixel response time than any 60Hz IPS. This improves fluidity of motion regardless of whether you can drive 120fps.

IPS is so much better than TN it isn't funny. The difference between 2ms response time and 8ms is so negligible that it really doesn't matter, and 120hz isn't going to increase your K:D or APM. I game on my 2560x1440 monitor daily and it's fantastic.

inb4 OnGun says get a crappy Korean monitor (with no warranty, no features and no real sense of quality) and OC it  <_<

Edit:

BF4 @ 2560x1440 will need to be played on medium to high settings to get consistent 60fps or higher. I get 50-80fps with my 7950 OC'd (and 2500k)on BF3.

I've had a TN LCD monitor, high end laptop with one (series 7 chronos), and now a 21:9 IPS.

I notice NOTHING different in terms of FPS games. They play exactly the same in my opinion. Playing at 120Hz feels exactly the same too. But, with IPS, it looks brighter and colors look prettier.

i have said it here on LTT many times. i m from PAKISTAN. i am a student. i dont have budget for these expensive gadgets. if i were in Europe or america i would not be asking these questions to u guys.

u see here, i have to place an order for these high end products to be imported by importers to get to me. i m charged literally double the price.

just for sake of example, 

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2412-24-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B005JN9310

this costs 250 to u guys. but to me here, it would cost me Rs 54600 that is US $530!!!

u guys get the point???

what i have saved is all going to be spend on these products.

i love deep colors and richer tones.

what about Samsung S27A950D? i have heard its colors are ALMOST as vibrant as IPS because its a Samsung Series 9 monitor which is used in very high end Samsung 3D LED TVs? 

can someone here explain if S27A950D would be a viable option over IPS which cost $600+ to me?

thanks

i have said it here on LTT many times. i m from PAKISTAN. i am a student. i dont have budget for these expensive gadgets. if i were in Europe or america i would not be asking these questions to u guys.

u see here, i have to place an order for these high end products to be imported by importers to get to me. i m charged literally double the price.

just for sake of example, 

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2412-24-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B005JN9310

this costs 250 to u guys. but to me here, it would cost me Rs 54600 that is US $530!!!

u guys get the point???

what i have saved is all going to be spend on these products.

i love deep colors and richer tones.

what about Samsung S27A950D? i have heard its colors are ALMOST as vibrant as IPS because its a Samsung Series 9 monitor which is used in very high end Samsung 3D LED TVs? 

can someone here explain if S27A950D would be a viable option over IPS which cost $600+ to me?

thanks

You never specified a budget and I've never seen you on the forums before. How are we supposed to know what to recommend you other than the best? You should include more info so we know how to answer your questions  :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You never specified a budget and I've never seen you on the forums before. How are we supposed to know what to recommend you other than the best? You should include more info so we know how to answer your questions  :)

ok. my budget for monitor is US $500 which i will keep for at least 2 years

ok. my budget for monitor is US $500 which i will keep for at least 2 years

I got the Asus PB238Q, I've got no complaints.