pfSense DIY Router Build Log pt 1

LinusTech

Lets hopy Linus gets the full gigabit through this with packages loaded.

I have most hardware in and pfsense runs, will go and test with one pc first to be save :)

You mean gigabyte.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

"Huh, that killed the motherboard. Lets do it two more times to be sure."

LinusTech - 2015

You mean gigabyte.

Edit: 1 gigabit ethernet should be about 112 MByte/second. That is not 1 gigabyte which is measure for storage and not network speed..

English is not my native language, and if i respond late i am tired, which is a bit of a bad excuse..

at this point we can no longer hold linus in standing as a qualified reviewer. All his tests must come into question at this point. 
hes almost blown up 3 zeons (that intel sponsored him with) by holding them with frigging zip ties 

plus countless other failures. 

and now this 4 MOTHERBOARDS FOUR!! 

And then the pci riser, the way he installed that was of a 4 year old kid on way too much meth or something. completely scattered or high, and no regard of showing any professionalism what so ever. 

Then he broke the NDA on the Dual Nvidia card he was just given on the WAN show. I mean who can keep supporting this guy. 

PLUS THEY PAY HIM FOR PROMOTION. and hes screwing it up. 

Linus needs to grow up, and they way he acted to the comments THAT WERE RIGHT, about the other boards. shows how childish he is. 

He also knows the paid reviews thing is a really big issue. which is why he has been skipping it. 
Well Canadian advertisement ombudsman has been in contact with me. and they are investigating. clear breaches! 

GROW UP. before you are fined into oblivion, and hardware vendors abandon your platform for lack of professionalism. 

This is a wakeup call 

DROPS THE MIC 

Since it ended up being the Xeon that was bad, did Linus test to see if any of the first 3 motherboards actually may work but he didn't think they did since he assumed the CPU was definitely good?

You mean gigabyte.

Gigabit is actually correct if referring to his internet speed. At about 17:25 in part 2 he says "new gigabit connection".

i was really waiting for Part 2 thread, but since part 2 video is posted on part 1 thread, i guess this will have to do. 

LtAZ4o2.png

So if I killed this motherboard and his parents... Does that make me basically the PC equivalent of the Dark Lord?

a moment of silence please for our fallen motherboards, Xeon, and ram.  RIP

tbh, I was expecting a bigger trainwreck. 

It's this kind of crap that winds people up.

You can't just dismiss someones opinion because it is a negative one.

If he annoyed all his viewers and drove them away then he wouldn't have a fancy new office.

God damnit wandering redit troll, bugger off.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So if I killed this motherboard and his parents... Does that make me basically the PC equivalent of the Dark Lord?

the one who must not be named, yes. Dark lord no. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Well you didn't drill out the holes on an LGA2011 motherboard like somebody else.....thus killing it. So you'd be more like a Death Eater.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Really annoys me how salty Linus gets when people call him out on his bullcrap.

I get that there are thousands of other channels that do regular hardware reviews and less overkill builds but when he gets a lot of the stuff he has just by begging manufacturers he has to understand why his viewers get annoyed at how wasteful he is.

Instead of buying the right tools for the job he just hacks things together and then gets surprised when things break or don't work.

I used to enjoy watching his videos but lately he is getting more and more dismissive and salty towards the people that donated to him and/or watch his videos.

keep being salty in life friend. go watch some other channel like techsyndicate or something. most of the people there are exactly like you. salty to the end :)

keep being salty in life friend. go watch some other channel like techsyndicate or something. most of the people there are exactly like you. salty to the end :)

I wonder if this is because of kids being brought up with only the internet only

i been seeing lots of comments like those every single video they watched

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Oh man, I thought the first part of the build was a joke for "what not to do" in a server type build... and then it's all for a shroud... Interesting nevertheless :lol:

Except that the shroud would still work perfectly fine with a proper server motherboard that's compatible with that heatsink and backplate.. and even better since the ram won't get in the way of the cooling.

Socket 1155 and 1156 are physically the same.

Yeah, I use that same 1156 heatsink with on my supermicro board with 1155 chip in 1U and it's perfectly free of any obstructions top and bottom.  That intel board is definitely not designed with that heat sink in mind lol

Pictures... in case anybody else who might want a 1U unit... hopefully they would have less casualties lol.

post-7162-0-40263000-1443692463.jpg

post-7162-0-67747300-1443692468.jpg

My Rigs (past and present)

We need part 3 with the pfsense setup, and motivation why which extra package gets installed i think.

Snort, squid and squidguard for me i think.

Can you guys make a video on how the pfSense router will be deployed in the server?

Everything you do in this video makes me question your credibility.

You put a $370 server chip in a router ..... WTF WHY?

You did not check for compatiblity of parts.

Here is what you should have done...... use a 2U/4U rackmount chassis since you want to rack mount it. (I would have just used a Mini-ITX case and called it a day)

A 2U/4U chassis supports a standard ATX PSU, a Standard IO shield, proper airflow, any motherboard you wish to use. Costs roughly the same as the 1U chassis you got.  And can still be rackmounted.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQY36DC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Example: http://www.amazon.com/iStarUSA-Server-Chassis-Cases-D-214-MATX/dp/B00A7NBO6E/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1442138029&sr=8-21&keywords=2u+rackmount+chassis

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Thickness-Rackmount-Chassis-RSV-L4412/dp/B00N9CXGSO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1442137996&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=2u+rackmount+chassis

You could have made it an interesting build if you built the router in something like the Coolermaster Elite 110 and then decided to DIY rackmount that case.

You could have easily made do with a dual core Atom chip or one of the Quad/Octo core integrated chips.

you should create your own youtube channel.  i ll be interested in content you create

This is just depressing.

I'm a big LTT fan for years (but only made an account couple of weeks ago and I'm not really active here), but somehow this video managed to disappoint me big time. At first I was like: 'Hey cool, I was going to build an pfSense box anyway, let's check this video out' only to see that I couldn't absorb ANY meaningful information. Sure it was kind of entertaining to watch Linus fail, but I don't know - I expected better results from a tech channel. There were in my eyes so many wrong decisions in this project and it is discussed in this thread too.

Linus said it himself, that he wants Linus Media Group to be an entertainment channel with some technology to go along, which is totally fine, but atleast try to transfer some knowledge other than 'how to build a gaming computer'. I think LinusTechTips should be an informative channel (I mean that's what the name implies), that is entertaining and not the other way around. You've built pfSense boxes before looking at your older videos, so why don't you just show us how it's done right?

@LinusTech I hope you're reading this.

I Agree, i was hoping for some software walk through too with pfsense but no... just hardware fails.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Thanks for the interesting review.

Initially I was like, huh, why ?. what ?. But on taking a step back I remembered how tricky it can be to build a server, especially a 1U server when coming from a PC background.

• Yep the PSU is very unlikely to have a fan cable  :) .  It will usually be the PMBus connector.
  • Manufacturers tend to like to customise stuff in the server world.  Buying from the same manufacturer for board, psu etc ensures it will all fit.
  • The S1200KP is a fantastic board but more of a workstation unit (hence the ram orientation not being best suited for server chassis).  It could have been an awesome ESXi virtulisation board but Intel decided to bork it by deliberately removing the VT-d ability (PCIe Passthrough).  I am using one in my own rack mounted Sophos UTM9 router build.
  • Not sure on the reason specifically for using the mITX board, especially as they are not cheap but a X9SCM based Supermicro board (looks like one in Stevvs pics above) is better designed for a 1U chassis, would fit the heatsink with no mods and if you got the -F variant you could have used IPMI to manage it from BIOS onwards from a remote machine.
  • The C206 chipset supports GXXX, i3XXX and Xeon cpus.  I had fun testing the bigger S1200BTL a few years back and wondering why the i5 would only beep on me... then it clicked  :) .

One well intended suggestion, if you are going to do other server builds, get a cheap server from ebay and see how it is all put together.  There are some big differences and it may help save the PMBus -> fan header problems you encountered.  Forewarned and all that.

Good to see I was not the only person to hit those pitfulls when first starting out with servers.  Brought back a lot of old memories. 

Keep up the good work.

Oh, you may want to take a look at doing a review on Sophos UTM (Unified Threat Management).  I am finding it pretty good for routing / network protection and it is free for home use.