Using rubber gloves while building a PC?

PaulC1

Hi all,

So today I was sitting there thinking about static and how it can damage components (interesting life, I know) I was thinking this mainly because I'm going to be moving all of my hardware out of a prebuilt HP computer in to my Air 540 and I was wondering if I should get one of those anti static wrist bands, but then it struck me! Why couldn't I just use rubber gloves while building this thing? I thought this was pretty logical seeing as rubber doesn't conduct electricity so that surely means you can't damage anything by touching it because the static wouldn't run through the rubber and also it wouldn't give off fingerprints so if you had a brushed aluminium case then you wouldn't be able to smudge it. Could someone please tell me if this is a good idea or if this is just stupid. Oh and by rubber gloves I mean the ones that dentists and doctors use.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul.

Mirror's Edge 2. One day.

Hi all,

So today I was sitting there thinking about static and how it can damage components (interesting life, I know) I was thinking this mainly because I'm going to be moving all of my hardware out of a prebuilt HP computer in to my Air 540 and I was wondering if I should get one of those anti static wrist bands, but then it struck me! Why couldn't I just use rubber gloves while building this thing? I thought this was pretty logical seeing as rubber doesn't conduct electricity so that surely means you can't damage anything by touching it because the static wouldn't run through the rubber and also it wouldn't give off fingerprints so if you had a brushed aluminium case then you wouldn't be able to smudge it. Could someone please tell me if this is a good idea or if this is just stupid. Oh and by rubber gloves I mean the ones that dentists and doctors use.

Thanks in Advance,

Paul.

no. and it could make things even worse.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Just touch the case once in a while.

That pretty much only helps when the power is plugged in (not turned on)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

To be honest, at least I haven't even though about that. I don't know will it work, but I think it should be enough to use rubber gloves. I mean it's completely logical.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Working in gloves is a pain the in the ass.

Just use a wrist band.... placed around your ankle. When placed on your wrist it just gets in the way.

Might even make it worse because I know when I use rubber gloves my hands start to sweat and sweat with computer components do not go together.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Thanks guys, I've installed graphics cards and things in my current PC before and that's completely fine, I just wanted to be super safe this time because I'm moving an entire system in to a new case. Thanks though :)

You are over thinking this. I built my PC without any using any of those anti-static precautions and it's working fine. The rubber glove thing works but is totally unnecessary. Just touch the case once in a while.

I did the same.

The more important thing is making sure you assemble it correctly :)

I assembled mine well...cord management could have been better though :P

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

That pretty much only helps when the power is plugged in (not turned on)

I was talking about the case  ;)

The rubber gloves that dentists and doctors use wont work. They allow electricity to pass through them. If you don't believe me, get a pair on and try to use your touchscreen phone. I use nitrile gloves at work to protect my hands from automotive chemicals and they allow electricity to pass through them. I've touched a car door and got shocked multiple times with these gloves on. So all it would do is make your hands sweaty and cut down on the amount of oil from your hands onto components. 

The rubber gloves that dentists and doctors use wont work. They allow electricity to pass through them. If you don't believe me, get a pair on and try to use your touchscreen phone. I use nitrile gloves at work to protect my hands from automotive chemicals and they allow electricity to pass through them. I've touched a car door and got shocked multiple times with these gloves on. So all it would do is make your hands sweaty and cut down on the amount of oil from your hands onto components.

Oh, I never knew that I always just thought rubber would never let electricity to pass through them so thanks! :D I'm just going to leave the gloves and hope for the best!

Oh, I never knew that I always just thought rubber would never let electricity to pass through them so thanks! :D I'm just going to leave the gloves and hope for the best!

technically it won't. But in reality it will. There's different ratings and thicknesses. We have a special class rubber glove that is rated for 1000volts. It won't let any voltage below 1000volts pass through. The little rubber gloves that dentists and doctors use, are so thin and impure that they let the small minute traces of voltage from your body's nervous system pass through them. Technically rubber is an insulator, but the rubber gloves have to be pure and etc etc... Anyways you get the point. LOL My dad is an electrical engineer so I grew up around this stuff and I tend to ramble and not make sense. So yea. Ditch the gloves and call it a day. haha Good luck with your build!

As long as you keep your hands dry, you'll be absolutely fine.

just saying, ive built 4 pc's on a carpet so yeah,

would probably run a bigger risk of dropping something or have a screwdriver/screw scratch the pcb when using gloves compared to killing something with static electricity.

I use nitrile gloves, anti static mats, and wrist straps while opening mine. I probably don't need that much but I scored them really cheap as the factory which makes them accepts direct orders. :) I personally like the peace of mind I get when using them knowing that I won't be damaging my system.

PC in Profile

when i build a computer i do

1st Case and psu install

2nd take out the motherboard and invert the static wrapper (so it works correctly)

3rd put the cpu in the socket

4th, Ram

5th CPU cooler

6th install motherbard in to the case

7th gpu and extra's

8th wire the thing up

9th test

Character artist in the Games industry.

Hi all,

Thanks in Advance,

Paul.

It could only really help if you want to touch aluminium without marking it

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

well being as rubber is a better conducter then distiled water i must ask you would you do it with your hands wet

not tring to be negitive just trying to let you know even though rubber is considered nonconductive if its in a thin glove it doesn't stop anything

If you have never had an electric shock in you house than don't bother with the gloves.

If you have timber floors, then you should be well grounded anyways.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

1.  Put PSU in case

2.  Put MB mounting screws in

3.  Put hard drive/ssd in

4.  Put CPU in motherboard using box...

5.  Put the MB in the case

6.  Put CPU cooler on

7.  Put other crap in (GPU, sound hard etc)

8.  Wire it up

9.  Play GAMES!

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

1.  Put PSU in case

2.  Put MB mounting screws in

3.  Put hard drive/ssd in

4.  Put CPU in motherboard using box...

5.  Put the MB in the case

6.  Put CPU cooler on

7.  Put other crap in (GPU, sound hard etc)

8.  Wire it up

9.  Play GAMES!

i find it easier to mount the cooler before puting the mb in the case (if air) 

Character artist in the Games industry.

i find it easier to mount the cooler before puting the mb in the case (if air) 

preference :D

I've always preferred putting MB first then cooler. :D

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B