Is it worth splurging on a case?

Stardar1

so my PSU is currently dying on me (long story, and not relevant for now) and when i replace it i want to get a new case as well.

i currently have the RoseWill Galaxy-01, and was thinking of getting the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (white)

is that worth it? or should i get a cheaper full tower?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I love my enthoo pro

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

I love my enthoo pro

i looked at that one, but determined i would prefer the luxe or the corsair 780t

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Its mostly for aesthetics. Cases at a cheaper price point could reach the same airflow performance of that case.

Do focus on PSU first.

Well it would be better than your Rosewill. So long as extra costs don't cause you issues there isn't anything bad about the idea.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I would if you can afford it

yeah, thats the issue.

to get my new PSU im selling an OEM GTX 760 i have had for a few monthes (got it cheap and planned on using it in a media PC).

for a new case i would need to wait until the holidays

Solitaire. 

I'm planning on getting the 350D from my core 1000, so that should be fun.

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

OR

i could get liquid cooling and wall mount.

Solitaire. 

It depends on your components. If you've got high end components, it can be nice to spend a lot on the case to make it look good. I'm planning on spending over $500 on my next case for a high end build. 

It depends on your components. If you've got high end components, it can be nice to spend a lot on the case to make it look good. I'm planning on spending over $500 on my next case for a high end build. 

my specs are in my profile, but here are the basics:

i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHz

212 EVO

EVGA GTX 970 SSC

16 GB RAM

Solitaire. 

so my PSU is currently dying on me (long story, and not relevant for now) and when i replace it i want to get a new case as well.

i currently have the RoseWill Galaxy-01, and was thinking of getting the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (white)

is that worth it? or should i get a cheaper full tower?

Yes. I thoroughly regret getting my Nanoxia case because it saved me $30. Should have bought a Silent Base 800 in the first place

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I spent 220$ on case no regrets

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I bought a cheap case early on, which was fine because it gave me more of a budget for the GPU and CPU. But I just ordered an Enthoo Pro to replace it, I hate building in a cheap case and the Enthoo Pro looks like it should last many years while not being a mess with a full ATX board like my current case (Antec GX500). If you're buying a replacement case might as well get the one you really want.

I bought a cheap case and later on (6months later) decided to water cool. It ended with a dremel and a pile of sheet metal on the floor several hours later. Now I'll probably be buying a nicer,more expensive case next time i tear my loop down because it would make things so much easier/nicer looking

Edit: one expensive case costs less than one cheap case and one expensive case

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

PSU first(80+ Gold) then splurge on the case.

"The Dead Legacy" (Since: XX.XX.2010) || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz || HSF: Stock Intel HSF || MB: MSI P35 Neo 2 LGA 775 || RAM: Kingston/Samsung/PQi 1 + 2x1 + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz || GPU: Palit NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (OS Drive) / 1 TB (Main Storage) SATA II/III || HDD: Hitachi 320 GB (Backup Storage) IDE || ODD: LG DVD-RW (KIA) IDE || PSU: Generic PSU 500W Non-Modular (Korean) ATX || Case: Generic Case (No Fans) ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 12" LED 1280x1024p || Speaker: Creative SBS 240 2.1 || KB: Generic Gaming (Full, No Macro) Keyboard || Mouse: T-REX Evolve Gaming Multi-Color Modded (RED LED Permanent) || Mousepad: Generic (Small) Black 

"The Chimera's Lair" (Since: 01.18.2016) || CPU: Intel Core™ i7-6700K 4.0 GHz (4.5 GHz OC) Skylake || HSF: NZXT Kraken X61 CLC || MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4 GB GDDR5 || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB (OS Drive) SATA III || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2  TB (Mass Storage) SATA III / Seagate Barracuda 1  TB (Games Storage) SATA III  || PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Fully-Modular ATX || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: ASUS VC239H 23"  Frameless AH-IPS LED 1920x1080p (Not Yet Bought)

For my build, I initially had the NZXT S340. You definitely got your $70 worth -- it looked nice, everything fit well, it was a sturdy case and well-built. It did have problems, though: the window on the side panel scratched easily, the top fan mount was externally ugly, there were only 3 drive cages in the basement (which would've rattled badly if I put hard drives there), and it wasn't a very quiet case. On top of that, the PSU fan filter was super cheap. I decided to get the be quiet! Silent Base 800 instead for $130. It was almost twice the price, but it's so much quieter. There's nothing externally ugly and you can't even see inside (which may be either a positive or a negative), but be quiet! is supposed to come out with another case soon that's basically the Silent Base 800 with a windowed side panel. All of the included fan filters are premium, the included fans are premium, and there's room for a lot more hard drives (and there's 3 optical bays, but nobody uses those anymore). 

A case is important as it's the home for your components and can make your computer a lot more enjoyable by reducing the sound it makes, and also by making cleaning it easier if it has good fan filters. I would recommend this case, or another case that fits your needs that's also premium. If you can't afford it or aren't bothered by computer noise (which I thought I wouldn't be until I dealt with it -- my room is super quiet), spending more for a case isn't really worth it, but it was for me.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

The main thing you get out of premium cases is aesthetics, modularity, and better liquid cooling support.  I personally don't like the external aesthetics of any of Phantek's cases other than the Evolv line.  I have the Evolv ATX, beautiful case.   What I do like about their cases is their internal layouts.  The blocked off PSU, HDD, and Optical Drive sections are nice.  More case makers need to do this.  I like the Evolv line's lack of optical drives and HDD cages by default.

If you've got the money go for it.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.

PSU first(80+ Gold) then splurge on the case.

Sigh...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Sigh...

Yup, pretty much failed to understand topic.

Enthoo Luxe or Noctis 450

"The Dead Legacy" (Since: XX.XX.2010) || CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz || HSF: Stock Intel HSF || MB: MSI P35 Neo 2 LGA 775 || RAM: Kingston/Samsung/PQi 1 + 2x1 + 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz || GPU: Palit NVidia GeForce 9800 GT 1 GB GDDR3 || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 80 GB (OS Drive) / 1 TB (Main Storage) SATA II/III || HDD: Hitachi 320 GB (Backup Storage) IDE || ODD: LG DVD-RW (KIA) IDE || PSU: Generic PSU 500W Non-Modular (Korean) ATX || Case: Generic Case (No Fans) ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 12" LED 1280x1024p || Speaker: Creative SBS 240 2.1 || KB: Generic Gaming (Full, No Macro) Keyboard || Mouse: T-REX Evolve Gaming Multi-Color Modded (RED LED Permanent) || Mousepad: Generic (Small) Black 

"The Chimera's Lair" (Since: 01.18.2016) || CPU: Intel Core™ i7-6700K 4.0 GHz (4.5 GHz OC) Skylake || HSF: NZXT Kraken X61 CLC || MB: MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151 || RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Red 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 MHz || GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4 GB GDDR5 || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB (OS Drive) SATA III || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2  TB (Mass Storage) SATA III / Seagate Barracuda 1  TB (Games Storage) SATA III  || PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Fully-Modular ATX || Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red ATX Mid-Tower || Monitor: ASUS VC239H 23"  Frameless AH-IPS LED 1920x1080p (Not Yet Bought)

Yup, pretty much failed to understand topic.

Enthoo Luxe or Noctis 450

I was sighing about 80+ gold.

That does not pertain to quality of the PSU.

I was sighing about 80+ gold.

That does not pertain to quality of the PSU.

I wasn't really specific about that, sorry man.