Is necrophobia common?

KarateHottie93

I was thinking about it today, how I have never met anyone as terrified of death as me. Especially caskets, I have fucking nightmares about them. I can't even look at a picture of one closed...not even a hearse. The fact that I live alone in the house where my great great aunt who raised me died doesn't help either.

I don't go to funerals for anyone either. I went to three as a child and they never really bothered me. I just thought it was gross. I'm really not sure what caused this fear. I used to hate it but I kinda appreciate it now. I have this amazing interest with death but yet it's the only thing that really fucking scares me besides black widows and brown recules. That's logical cause they get in my house and are extremely deadly though.

I just wish I knew somebody else who was the same way. It's the only thing in my life I'm kinda embarassed about just cause most people can't grasp the concept, which to me makes no sense. How can people feel so comfortable around death?

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

I read this as necrophilia initially and I was very concerned before I read it again, lol.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

I read this as necrophilia initially and I was very concerned before I read it again, lol.

Hahahahaha yeah...I'm the last person you'll see feeling around on a dead body.

I think most people have some fear of death but not to your level. I wouldnt worry about it since it's something you cant avoid. Just walk out your door daily, dont give a shit and live it to the fullest. 

Same here.

I do not share @KarateHottie93's fear on this. Caskets are inanimate objects, there's nothing to fear there. I'd sooner fear a person who would want put me in a casket while I'm still alive, than the casket itself.

Sure being afraid of death is normal, but not that much. Have you talked about this to someone? Like, a real talk, not just something in passing that you say and the other person barely even answer. It might help you to cope with this better. (Therapy is another thing, especially if it's getting in the way of your daily life)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

My own acceptance of my death or death of others? Me I realize the only truths in life are death and taxes so I don't let it bother me, others, if I don't know them they don't matter unless a plague killed them which could affect me.

My fears needles, sharks, crocodiles

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I think most people have some fear of death but not to your level. I wouldnt worry about it since it's something you cant avoid. Just walk out your door daily, dont give a shit and live it to the fullest.

Oh I'm all about living life to fullest, and I don't fear my death so much lol. Just dead people and dead people accessories.

My own acceptance of my death or death of others? Me I realize the only truths in life are death and taxes so I don't let it bother me, others, if I don't know them they don't matter unless a plague killed them which could affect me.

My fears needles, sharks, crocodiles

Haha I hear needles a lot. My hottest ex was terrified of them. Still not to my level of caskets though lol. I just don't get it.

And i was about to post a comment along the lines of this, only to be beaten to it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I'm the exact opposite, death and loss is just kind of... a part of me. I've been to a lot of funerals in my life sadly. 

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

I'm the exact opposite, death and loss is just kind of... a part of me. I've been to a lot of funerals in my life sadly.

Same here with everyone I know dying, but I just skip the funerals. Nice bill AV. I love when he was drunk and singing Freebird while in that tank he stole.

I have no fear of death in fact I have to work with animal corpses in my zoo lab that are sitting in jars filled with formaldehyde.  I have no emotions towards death either as to me it's just what's supposed to happen.

Dead animals don't bother me, just dead humans lol.

Necrophobia or the fear of dead things (usually dead animals/humans) is probably not all that common. Usually people experience more disgust when confronted with corpses than they do fear.

I guess there is some rational to being affraid of dead things. It reminds us of our biological destiny. It reminds us that we will all end up as inanimate piles of matter in the end.

We will no longer have a personality and no longer have the cognitive abilities that made us. 

Thanatophobia or the fear of death is probably way more common than necrophobia. 

Most people fear the void in the end, and most people can't really wrap their head around non-existence as a concept and that probably scares us. 

This is probably also why the vast majority of people in this world holds to beliefs that involves some sort of afterlife. 

When we are confronted with our own mortality we simply make up stories, that will have us live forever.

Personally, I'm quite the opposite you @KarateHottie93. I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with death. 

I have a bunch of taxidermied animals, animals in glass cages and I even own a human skull. I just have a very mordbid curiosity.

My musical career has also revolved around death metal, so most of the song I have written have been pure snuff movie material. 

I have also been very close to dying a couple of times, so I know that death feels like nothing. When your heart slows down, you don't feel a thing.

Waking up from near death is hell though.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Necrophobia or the fear of dead things (usually dead animals/humans) is probably not all that common. Usually people experience more disgust when confronted with corpses than they do fear.

I guess there is some rational to being affraid of dead things. It reminds us of our biological destiny. It reminds us that we will all end up as inanimate piles of matter in the end.

We will no longer have a personality and no longer have the cognitive abilities that made us. 

Thanatophobia or the fear of death is probably way more common than necrophobia. 

Most people fear the void in the end, and most people can't really wrap their head around non-existence as a concept and that probably scares us. 

This is probably also why the vast majority of people in this world holds to beliefs that involves some sort of afterlife. 

When we are confronted with our own mortality we simply make up stories, that will have us live forever.

Personally, I'm quite the opposite you @KarateHottie93. I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with death. 

I have a bunch of taxidermied animals, animals in glass cages and I even own a human skull. I just have a very mordbid curiosity.

My musical career has also revolved around death metal, so most of the song I have written have been pure snuff movie material. 

I have also been very close to dying a couple of times, so I know that death feels like nothing. When your heart slows down, you don't feel a thing.

Damn bro that's pretty deep. I OD'd on a meth/morphine speedball back when I used to be on dope hardcore and woke up vomiting all over myself in an ambulance so I know the feeling. I also have a deer head mounted over my bed. It's simply just anything involving dead humans and things that have to do with funerals and graveyards. It's weird. It really just freaks me out in the weirdest way.

Personally I've never seen someone afraid of death. I guess that's because of the culture here as death is normal and is bound to happen so everyone accepts it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Hmm I would imagine that its one of the least rare phobias. Everybody is afraid of dying.

I feel pretty opposite in terms of your fear of caskets and funerals. They kinda provide me with peace. Funerals are an important part of letting go of your sorrow. I always feel much better after a funeral despite being an atheist. 

You own a real human skull? How the fuck is that not illegal? 

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Damn bro that's pretty deep. I OD'd on a meth/morphine speedball back when I used to be on dope hardcore and woke up vomiting all over myself in an ambulance so I know the feeling. I also have a deer head mounted over my bed. It's simply just anything involving dead humans and things that have to do with funerals and graveyards. It's weird. It really just freaks me out in the weirdest way.

Unfortunatly, I'm probably not smart enough to help you overcome your phobia. People hold phobias for a varity of reasons and very few has the same reason.

Death, and especially dead people, are kinda tabu in the modern western world. I guess that's why most people have a negative reaction towards it. 

Most likely that is also why I have jumped into the opposite camp and made death a part of my life in many ways.

I am also beginning to doubt my own seperation of necrophobia and thanatophobia. It probably isn't correct.

The more I think about it, the more it becomes clear that they probably describe the same fear. They just identify through different things.

Necorphobia identifies itself through dead bodies and thanatophobia identifies itself through the abstract concept of death.

Coincidentally, OD'ing was also the way I came close to death. Although, I only overdosed on heroin. I never touched meth, and I never had any plans to.

And the first time, the paramedics were closer to killing me than the drugs were. But obviously they did their very best, since I'm still here. 

You own a real human skull? How the fuck is that not illegal? 

Owning a human skull is not currently against Danish law. 

Obtaining things like human skulls usually is. But as far as I know, the skull that I have is legally obtaine.

It might be weird, and maybe even a bit unethical, but it's not illegal per se to own a human skull..

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes