How much vram do you actually need?

Kuzma

I'd like 2gb because I have run into some games that max out 1gb of my vram

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I cap my 4gb VRAM in Skyrim with not that many mods at 1440p and most games run between 2-3gb at that resolution on ultra graphics.

Don't use more then 2GB at 1440p? Wrong! Hell, I've seen BF3 goes past 2GB. Tomb Raider also uses more then 2GB.

You can get by on 2GB but it won't last long.

I remember when I built my first PC for BF3 and everyone said to get a 1.2 GB GPU because anything more is a waste at 1080p. Needless to say, the VRAM was maxed in every game I played causes massive stutter and frame drops.

Moral of that story, its better to have too much then not enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Introduction

I've seen a lot of people arguing about if you need more than 2GB of VRAM at 1080p and arguing about how much you really need. I can't do the benchmarks personally but I figured I'd leave the sources used at the end ^_^ .

2GB isn't enough right?

This is kinda right but wrong in the majority of cases, games don't use more than 2GB VRAM at 1440p let alone 1080p. The main exception to this rule, I'm sure you can guess what it is :P it's Crysis 3 using 2.2GB VRAM at very high settings + 8x msaa, which can be fixed by simply using 4x msaa.

Sources?

Each letter will have a different link:

C F H M B

Conclusion

As you can see from the sources above 2GB is plenty of VRAM for 1080p in the majority of cases but with the new consoles we're also going to most likely see a new tier of games with a large amount of VRAM usage; if you look at some of the games that have been showcased at E3 they seem to be using the amount of VRAM from the unified system quite nicely. A good example of this is Tom Clancy's The Division. So I think we can expect >3GB for 1440p and >2GB for 1080p but that's purely my own speculation ^_^ .

Remember memory speed and memory bus has a favor in how much Vram is needed to render :)

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

I would really care about this vram argument if we werent quibbling over $40 dollars on a $400 card. Its 10% more and you might not need it or you might really need it. I'm personally not willing to take a risk of not having enough vram just to save $40 bucks (the cost of 1 game). Furthermore the additional vram is very useful should you choose to go SLI or Crossfire so you'll have some additional vram buffer for the additional power of the 2nd or 3rd card. Its 10% more money folks.. like $40. We all could have earned $40 in the time we've spent discussing it.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

Basically this.

Even the Titan doesn't benefit from having 6GB of VRAM. (Example:  Dirt Showdown uses 1839mb at 3840 x 2160, and is completely unplayable.)

All of this crazy amounts of RAM is just marketing.  Anything over 2-3GB for a single GPU right now = wasted.  Now AND in the future.

Really, we've already been over this lock, you cant expect a card with more vram to perform better in a game that doesnt require the additional vram over the reference model (ie 6gb vs 3gb). Find a game that needs more than 3gb of vram then compare the 780 to the titan. Only then will you see the benefit.

Furthmore like i've said in numerous posts, the titan is meant for SLI use. Two gk110's can push enough frames to exceed 3gb of frame buffer. Two 780's in SLI will be vram capped very soon. If you need anymore evidence just look at my profile pic, 7.5 Terraflops of power with 1gb of vram... vram capped... definetly.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I would agree 1gb is fine for 1080p in most cases but 2gb is a bit more future proof.

Not to mention that 2GB is more resistant against those random spikes in VRAM use. I swear that can be so annoying.

It's also quite weird that they have things like GT630s with 4GB DDR3 VRAM. My brother has an Acer running a GT730M and 4GB DDR3 VRAM. It's quite painful to see companies trying to fool the people who don't know better into thinking "more VRAM means more goodness" even if the card is rubbish

I would personally recommend 3gb to makes who want a PC that can do almost everything. but if the budget cant allow it then 2gb will do

~~Korindo~~

Cubitek Mini ITX Build : - Cubitek Mini Cube - ASUS Z87i-Pro - Intel 4770K - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866mhz -

- Samsung 840 500gb SSD x 2 - Noctua NH-L12 Cooler - Silverstone 550 watt Strider Gold PSU - Galaxy GeForce GTX Titan -

I would like to see a real test done on this. I don't know how these numbers were achieved and they don't see to say.

If you have extra vram it will take up more just to store more textures.

I have a 4gb card. I can reach 2.8gb in BF3 and 3.3gb in Metro:2033. Does not mean I need even close to that amount.

How much do we need than? I am not sure but I don't believe any benchmarks I see that are just recording vram usage off evga precision or any programs like that.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

The beauty of extra vram comes when you like to downsample hi-res images. Skyrim looks god darn beautiful with 4k textures downsampled, the problem is it smashes the scrotum out of most gpu's to do so. I would never advise anything under 2gb now days and if you looking at a high end gpu then really the more the merrier (within reason) I guess the fact is if you need the extra you will probably know it yourself if your unsure, get whatever comes on the appropriate gpu for your budget.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)