*Gaming Mini-News* Last of Us Dev wants HL3 license?

So, apparently Neil Druckmann, creative director of The Last Of Us, asked Valve via Twitter, for the license to make Half Life 3. Included in the Tweet was an image of Merle Dandridge, the woman who plays Alyx Vance, wearing a motion capture suit.

And here's the image of Merle in a motion capture suit.

While this might not be 100% news, because we know that there is like, less than 0% chance of Valve doing this, it does raise a good question.

Would you be accepting of a developer continuing the Half Life franchise?

Personal opinion follows

Personally, I say HELL NO. I would be concerned about that developer ruining the franchise, especially one that already makes an exclusive title for PS4. While I know that there is probably no chance of this happening, and I would like to say there is no chance in hell that Valve would allow Half Life to become exclusive to any platform, it would still be a concern of mine. The quality of the PC port would also be a huge concern.

This is all probably just a joke. I would be surprised if anything came from it. I just thought it would be interesting to discuss.
Edited by Trik'Stari

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

talk about a no go for valve xD

also. hell no. im not crying at half life.

naughty dog never gona let me do that.    also naughty dog is a play station exclusive company. why would valve not release it on pc ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Well... if Valve doesn't Neil will.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

...no wonder they want the license to potentially the biggest videogame cash cow ever conceived...

I also strongly hope they don't get it. Their games aren't particularly great on the gameplay side. But then again I wasn't the greatest fan of hl2 either, while I don't consider it a bad game by any means.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm not sure, I'd like to see what they'd make.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

If he was serious he would not be asking via twitter.

I could actually see Valve collaborating though where they provide the tech, story, script etc and allow somebody else to build the game.

If he was serious he would not be asking via twitter.

I could actually see Valve collaborating though where they provide the tech, story, script etc and allow somebody else to build the game.

If I remember correctly, Valve has, and I quote, "station wagons full of cash". Could they not just hire some people to make the damned thing? I am sure there are plenty of people out there in the world, who would KILL to make that game.

I've long since stopped caring. If they did it i wouldn't mind. But the hype and "HUF LUYF TEEER CUFFIMD" Bullshit killed it for me completely

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

But then again I wasn't the greatest fan of hl2 either, while I don't consider it a bad game by any means.

HL2 is a very good game on merit as long as you approach it as another game and not ZOMG OVERHYPED GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

I think the main weakness though is the gunplay. They should use the same gun mechanics from CS in terms of recoil, spray patterns etc... That tiny bit of added realism just makes shooting so much more fun.

can there be an option called "i have not played any of the Half Life games so i cant have an opinion on the matter"

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I've long since stopped caring. If they did it i wouldn't mind. But the hype and "HUF LUYF TEEER CUFFIMD" Bullshit killed it for me completely

Personally, I would be concerned, but I really do just want to know how the goddamned storyline ends. How does that Aperature Science ship come into play? How does Portal connect into the Half Life universe?

I MUST KNOW >.<

can there be an option called "i have not played any of the Half Life games so i cant have an opinion on the matter"

Done.

Done.

well i dont live under a rock, but thats the only one that works for me

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I would rather Valve made it, but since that seems to be out of the question, I have no issues with these guys having a crack at it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I would rather Valve made it, but since that seems to be out of the question, I have no issues with these guys having a crack at it. 

If I had a choice of Devs, I would prefer to see the guys who made Metro 2033 and Metro LL have a go at it.

I feel like they could do some amazing industrial wasteland, considering how well they do nuclear wasteland.

Valve hasn't made a decent game in fucking years, decades even. And no, selling other people's mods as full releases doesn't counts as developing a fucking game by the way which is all they do today. In fact if it was up to me, copyright law should include an addendum to legally compel (a.k.a. force) a company to license their intellectual property after x amount of years of inactivity which is exactly the case here.

But failing that Valve should take the higher road and admit they have better things to do like print money with Steam and stupid fucking hats and mobas. All the more power to them they can keep doing their much more profitable things but make way for someone interested in continuing a beloved franchise.

-------

Current Rig

-------

In fact if it was up to me, copyright law should include an addendum to legally compel (a.k.a. force) a company to license their intellectual property after x amount of years of inactivity which is exactly the case here.

Yeah cause that worked so well with the latest Fantastic Four movie...

well i dont live under a rock, but thats the only one that works for me

Someone get this man the Half Life games please.

Another developer ruining the franchise? Lol.

Half Life hasn't been relevant in nearly a decade. No one cares. It USED TO be the hot shit standard for story based FPS games but not anymore. It's not anything.

It would be in Valves benefit to give the game to said developer who actually made blockbuster game in Last of Us. That was a very good game, with very good character development and progression in the story.

HL3 would need completely revamped gunplay and some seriously compelling campaign action for people to care. HL3s development and lack thereof is a industry joke

If I remember correctly, Valve has, and I quote, "station wagons full of cash". Could they not just hire some people to make the damned thing? I am sure there are plenty of people out there in the world, who would KILL to make that game.

Well yes ofcourse they could. But they don't want to make it unless they have something fresh and innovative. All of us would be happy with a good first person shooter in the way that Wolfenstein new order was. But Valve isn't interested in doing that because they feel they've done it all before. That's bad news for us the fans sadly. Combined with the fact that they have so much money and no financial incentive to release games anymore...

Personally I just want a new Valve singleplayer game. It's been two years since they released a new game and four years since they released a new single player game. I appreciate that they do a lot of good work in the industry apart from creating games. But I still want another experience as good Portal 2 or HL1.

Yeah cause that worked so well with the latest Fantastic Four movie...

I say yes it did: even commercial fucking failures rank in millions in profit once you take into account merchandise, licencing deals and international box office numbers. Trust me as a parent of a 4 year old I can tell you that comic book movies, no matter how crappy and critically hated they are, still make million. Meanwhile I have to go get an ant man and a captain america pop figurines for my boy.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Last of Us was good don't see why they wouldn't make another game good.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

In fact if it was up to me, copyright law should include an addendum to legally compel (a.k.a. force) a company to license their intellectual property after x amount of years of inactivity which is exactly the case here.

Hmm I can see the merits but seems a bit extreme. Stripping something from the creator's hand...

Hmm I can see the merits but seems a bit extreme. Stripping something from the creator's hand...

Even when they're no longer creating?

I would like to see someone other than Naughty Dog get their hands on it. Either Bethesda or the devs that did Metro.

If I had a choice of Devs, I would prefer to see the guys who made Metro 2033 and Metro LL have a go at it.

I feel like they could do some amazing industrial wasteland, considering how well they do nuclear wasteland.

That is not a bad idea at all.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Another developer ruining the franchise? Lol.

Half Life hasn't been relevant in nearly a decade. No one cares. It USED TO be the hot shit standard for story based FPS games but not anymore. It's not anything.

It would be in Valves benefit to give the game to said developer who actually made blockbuster game in Last of Us. That was a very good game, with very good character development and progression in the story.

HL3 would need completely revamped gunplay and some seriously compelling campaign action for people to care. HL3s development and lack thereof is a industry joke

Precisely: 20 years ago Half life was revolutionary. 12 years ago Half Life 2 revolutionized the gaming industry again (though to a lesser degree) and established a lot of tropes on modern action games that we still see today (open(ish) world, physics puzzles, gameplay based narrative, etc) 

In 2015 and beyond? It only needs to be a fucking FPS and continue to develop the story. It doesn't needs to revolutionize the gaming world again since that takes time and effort, 2 things Valve is not willing to invest in anyway, we can skip that: the games did enough right than just a sequel or a few ones are needed not a "Let's reinvent the genre" development is needed. Just tell us more about Gordon fucking Freeman and shoot some fucking crab head scientist, that's it that's ALL we need and we don't need that much talent to continue that.

-------

Current Rig

-------