Do you need to be good at Maths to be a great coder?

AstroBenny

I want to get into coding/game design but I'm worried I might struggle a bit.

My maths isn't too bad, but sometimes it takes a while for me to grasp new concepts and mathematical things don't generally come naturally to me.

How dependant is coding on Mathematics?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Code is essentially PC math so yeah.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'm in the same boat as you, and from what I've learned so far it us useful, but not absolutely necessary to become a good coder.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

You don't need to be able to do all this stuff off the top of your head, but a good understanding of formulas is pretty important.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yes, because it involves a lot of logical thinking and reasoning but don't worry, you will do okay. I'm in my 2nd year of Software Engineering, was never great with maths and I'm doing really well. Take the challenge, you'll be surprised.

You need to be able to understand math, and have some basic knowledge. You dont have to be a mathematician in order to code tho.

The site has changed....

its more about understanding concepts, logic, and patterns

you only need to be really good at math if youre doing databaase or other math-related coding

you can make lots of things with just simple math, but advanced stuff needs a lot more

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

My maths isn't too bad, but sometimes it takes a while for me to grasp new concepts and mathematical things don't generally come naturally to me.

"Maths" um I think you're good to go!

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

"Maths" um I think you're good to go!

maths

(mæθs) 

n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.Esp. Brit.

mathematics.

(I'm British)

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

maths

(mæθs) 

n. (used with a sing. or pl. v.Esp. Brit.

mathematics.

(I'm British)

Firstly I didn't know that, that's cool!  Secondly, I was being sarcastic, if you're smart enough to use this forum your smart enough to a lot of things :D

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

Im studying as a muktimedia integrator. We have done 0 math so far and never will i think. And i have like6 programation courses

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

While mathematical thinking and logic is beneficial for programming you don't need any advanced math skills. As long as you don't get into highly complex algorithms, functional or scientific coding its mostly arithmetics.

You need to be able to apply mathematical concepts to applications when programming. You can do it without it but you will have a much harder time understanding how to do things efficiently.

Basic algebra is pretty much all you need. For example

int myNumber = 1;

while (myNumber < 1) do

{

print("I'm doing something.");

myNumber++;

}

We learn when we tinker.

Code is essentially PC math so yeah.

yes

holy shit yes

math and coding are on a hot date

Absolutely false and you two clearly don't have a full understanding of what you are talking about.

you only need to be really good at math if youre doing databaase or other math-related coding

Databases... not in the least unless the domain is mathematical that is. SQL is picked up almost subconsciously during the course of a career. I have experienced maybe one incident with date based queries in almost 10 years that presented a challenge.

I'm in the same boat as you, and from what I've learned so far it us useful, but not absolutely necessary to become a good coder.

You don't need to be able to do all this stuff off the top of your head, but a good understanding of formulas is pretty important.

You need to be able to apply mathematical concepts to applications when programming. You can do it without it but you will have a much harder time understanding how to do things efficiently.

These are essentially the truth and generally how you will find it to be in the real world. I have dyscalculia and it hasn't stopped me for getting to where I am today. That said there are certain doors that will forever remain closed I am sure... but I can't say that I'd really want to go through those in all honesty.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

No you don't need to be good at math in order to be a great coder but in some kind of applications will be necessary (take physics engines for example) while in others you won't probably need it at all, that said it depends on the kind of applications you are making.

Databases... not in the least unless the domain is mathematical that is. SQL is picked up almost subconsciously during the course of a career. I have experienced maybe one incident with date based queries in almost 10 years that presented a challenge.

if youre constructing a GOOD database using binary trees or other high efficiency search methods, that requires a shit ton of math

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you're just starting out, you don't need more than basic arithmetic, though having a good understanding of algebra will make things easier.  Some applications of programming, like databases, data analysis, and scientific computing, definitely require a LOT of math, but don't worry about that if you're just starting out.  You'll be able to pick up almost anything you need along the way.

It definitely does help to have taken math and physics courses, though.  The way you think about problems in math, physics, and programming is extremely similar: start with a big problem, break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks, and deal with those one at a time.  But, you can get started programming without taking a lot of math and physics classes, and pick up the problem-solving approach through coding.  Things might just be a bit rougher at the start.

Most of the replies in this thread are wrong. Programming is too broad a subject to make such a statement. Some types of programming require insane amounts of rigorous math, others require little to none. What kind of coding are you interested in?

if youre constructing a GOOD database using binary trees or other high efficiency search methods, that requires a shit ton of math

I don't see why one would even attempt to undertake such a thing when there are large numbers of very well established and mature databases out there that have been written and are supported by very large multi million/billion $ companies (and even open source)... To do so would be ludicrous and if you feel the need to be constantly reinventing the wheel in this way then your doing something very wrong.

What specific scenario do you have that you feel doesn't fit the use of an already established database? Are you contributing to an open source project?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I don't see why one would even attempt to undertake such a thing when there are large numbers of very well established and mature databases out there that have been written and are supported by very large multi million/billion $ companies (and even open source)... To do so would be ludicrous and if you feel the need to be constantly reinventing the wheel in this way then your doing something very wrong.

What specific scenario do you have that you feel doesn't fit the use of an already established database? Are you contributing to an open source project?

What you are forgetting is that people have to code those database frameworks. the question was do you have to know math to code. So it depends on what part of the coding foodchain you work on.