UltraWide Festival 2015

There is an article on tweak town about this video.

Still sorta miffed about not even getting to the top 20 of the cardboard contest though. Oh well, it was fun the whole way :)

Really thought I would be at least in the honorable mentiones :(. Maybe I misjudged Linus' Humor. At least i'm in this guys list at #15.

For those who may be interested, I made a separate thread a couple days ago listing my favorite top 50ish in the general discussion area: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/483568-csps-top50-rated-lg-ultrawide-video-entries-conveniently-located-here/

The afterparty didn't make it this week, so here's hoping to next :)

Didn't end up in the semi finalists, sad but expected...
Didn't en up in the honorable mentions, cries in the corner...
Didn't end up in csp's top 50, step in a three legged chair with rope around the neck.... 

Was it THAT bad? Tell me, be honest, it would be helpfull i can take it! i think... :lol: 

Didn't end up in the semi finalists, sad but expected...

Didn't en up in the honorable mentions, cries in the corner...

Didn't end up in csp's top 50, step in a three legged chair with rope around the neck.... 

Was it THAT bad? Tell me, be honest, it would be helpfull i can take it! i think... :lol:

I'm in the same boat as you. For what it's worth I really liked yours. There were some really terrible videos that won monitors and got honorable mentions in my opinion, but I guess that's because these were meant to be judged subjectively and some people hit the mark with Linus' humor. He didn't seem to care about production values per se (which is good considering it would really limit the potential entries), and especially judging by his honorable mentions his sense of humor is way less high-brow than I expected. I didn't have any humor in mine anyway, so that's neither here nor there, but it still surprised me to not even be in the honorable mentions. I spent hundreds of dollars (of money I didn't have) as well as hundreds of hours into making sure I had something presentable to show for the video, so getting literally zero recognition from the powers-that-be sucked.

I could have done an animation or something else attention-grabbing like that, but I felt like that would be a cop-out and too easy (my degree is in computer animation, and I teach it along with game design, 3D modeling, film production, etc. for my job) so I went with something I felt was much more challenging and had real-world benefits.

On top of that, he did say that one of the honorable mentions would have won a monitor but he never saw it because of a glitch, so who knows how many he didn't see.

I'm in the same boat as you. For what it's worth I really liked yours. There were some really terrible videos that won monitors and got honorable mentions in my opinion, but I guess that's because these were meant to be judged subjectively and some people hit the mark with Linus' humor. He didn't seem to care about production values per se (which is good considering it would really limit the potential entries), and especially judging by his honorable mentions his sense of humor is way less high-brow than I expected. I didn't have any humor in mine anyway, so that's neither here nor there, but it still surprised me to not even be in the honorable mentions. I spent hundreds of dollars (of money I didn't have) as well as hundreds of hours into making sure I had something presentable to show for the video, so getting literally zero recognition from the powers-that-be sucked.

I could have done an animation or something else attention-grabbing like that, but I felt like that would be a cop-out and too easy (my degree is in computer animation, and I teach it along with game design, 3D modeling, film production, etc. for my job) so I went with something I felt was much more challenging and had real-world benefits.

On top of that, he did say that one of the honorable mentions would have won a monitor but he never saw it because of a glitch, so who knows how many he didn't see.

I really think the only reason you didnt get to the top 10 is because your entry wqsnt about your current setup. He was reaaally hard on that.

I really think the only reason you didnt get to the top 10 is because your entry wqsnt about your current setup. He was reaaally hard on that.

I can accept that, but I did show both of my current setups as well as list their specs in the description. A lot of the honorable mentions didn't show their setups at all.

@Davidgommes
@Adahop

I'll give you guys some insight since you may be interested. For one thing, it really is about subjectivity that "appeals" to you, and therefore is funny, novel, unexpected, powerful, and over-the-top cheesy (at least to me.) Your videos were "good" productions and trust me, there were many, many, many other poopier vids compared to yours. What "appeals" to you can be the result of what you grew up with, or what you do on a daily basis, so you're more apt to like certain videos over others. I've noticed Linus is more apt to pick vocals than not, and that might be the result of listening to a lot of Eminem songs growing up, who knows (he did have the bleached hair and earrings at one point.) I for example find British humour "novel" to me for some reason, maybe it's because I don't live in the UK and I enjoy the accent.

I've counted over 580 legitimate videos, and when you get to 5 hours of non-stop viewing, subjectivity is really going to take over. Everyone has their own tastes and you should definitely not feel grief over "not being recognized" for lack of a better phrase.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

@Davidgommes

@Adahop

I'll give you guys some insight since you may be interested. For one thing, it really is about subjectivity that "appeals" to you, and therefore is funny, novel, unexpected, powerful, and over-the-top cheesy (at least to me.) Your videos were "good" productions and trust me, there were many, many, many other poopier vids compared to yours. What "appeals" to you can be the result of what you grew up with, or what you do on a daily basis, so you're more apt to like certain videos over others. I've noticed Linus is more apt to pick vocals than not, and that might be the result of listening to a lot of Eminem songs growing up, who knows (he did have the bleached hair and earrings at one point.) I for example find British humour "novel" to me for some reason, maybe it's because I don't live in the UK and I enjoy the accent.

I've counted over 580 legitimate videos, and when you get to 5 hours of non-stop viewing, subjectivity is really going to take over. Everyone has their own tastes and you should definitely not feel grief over "not being recognized" for lack of a better phrase.

I know, I mentioned that in my comment. Thank you for giving a civil, intellectual, and reasonable response regardless, though. My frustration was more of an extension of real-life frustration than anything else. I saw a path to something better with this competition, and got more emotionally invested in it than I should have. The monitor/hardware itself was immaterial.

So would the after party with honorable mentions be uploaded somewhere?

Here but it is so difficult to watch, Speaker volume is too loud so I'm changing volume constantly not to be deafened by linus.

http://www.twitch.tv/linustech/v/26852662

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Strange to see @RylandJAY 's entry destroyed by the audio of mine in the Afterparty (31:00)... I feel guilty for making it as loud... :wacko:

All I wanted is to appear in the Afterparty, although I was in a different group.

Guess I have achieved it :lol: :lol:

BTW screw autoplay. My indirect apologies :wacko: :)

My Ultrawide Festival Semifinalist Entry (elected by UnboxTherapy):

My Ultrawide Festival Entry for the Finals:

If you are going to hate it for no reason, stay away. but if you really do, tell me why, you will help me on improving my style.