Skylake build won't post! Boot device LED is on

Go to solution Solved by Albie,

Try 1 stick of ram in every different slot, check your ram/ plugs are seated properly, run with only CPU, cooler ram and mobo. Try drive in another computer (don't boot from it, but rather connect it and see if you can accesses it etc.) If your PSU is modular try using a different connector for your drive.

Hi peeps

I need help my new skylake build won't post!

parts

i5 6600k
Asus z170 pro gaming

hyperX ddr4 2666 mhz
cryorig r1 universal

gtx 970 g1 gaming
corsair rm 750
samsung 850 evo 250 gb
WD caviar Blue 1Tb
NZXT Noctis 450

Now what is happening? 

On startup the pc goes on, cpu and case fans go on, graphics card Logo goes on fancy case LEDs aswell. they al stay on and function

Then my Asus z170 pro gaming mobo cycles through the debug LEDs (not an actual screen but 4 separate LEDs):

1. CPU LED goes red, then after 1 sec switches off (CPU is gud)
2. DRAM LED goes red, then after 1 sec switches off (DRam is gud)
3. VGA LES goes red, then after 1 sec switches off (GPU is gud)
4. BOOT DEVICE LED goes on and stays on

PC does not post anything on my display connected through vga on the mobo!

Whoever gets my pc to run gets a cookie! 

now what i did so far:

-Checked all cables are plugged, 8pin 24 pin 6+2 and 6 pin all there, all plugged into psu and respective pcbs
-Sata cable plugged in, sata powercable plugged in
-use different: sata cable, sata power cable, plug ssd into different sata conector on mobo, try to boot only using ssd, only using hdd (Hdd makes noize)
-taking the mobo battery out

Now i need real help

Try to take out parts one by one and try. Like try without they GPU, then try without all RAM and all that kind of stuff. But boot device is it like HDD? Beacuse if it is check so its properly connected and got power and all these basic stuff. If that doesn't work I'm have no idea why it wouldn't

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Re-Seat the ram.

Try plugging monitor into the motherboard if the ram thing don't work. If this works it's probably a GPU.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Did you plug in your HDD...MB manual...Google?

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

-snip-

Try unplugging your drives, and don't forget to follow your topics so you know when someone posts

Re-check the RAM using the least amount of stick. Say 4gb only on your slot-1. It maybe one of your sticks.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

On 9/9/2015 at 3:38 PM, pokechat8978 said:

Try unplugging your drives, and don't forget to follow your topics so you know when someone posts

i'm gonna try to boot without any drives connected and then later i'm gonna try to boot everything on the mobo cardboard box

On 9/9/2015 at 3:38 PM, Lethal Seraph said:

Re-check the RAM using the least amount of stick. Say 4gb only on your slot-1. It maybe one of your sticks.

So with 1 8gb stick in position a2 (which is recommended for 1 stick) the cpu light lights on, then turns off after 1 sec, then the dram light goes on after 1 sec, goes off after 3 sec and finally vga and boot device LED do not turn on at all! 

However pc still doesnt post on my screen....

Did you try a different ram stick? If you only got one. Maybe try removing all components, and leave only cpu,cpu cooler and least amount of ram and GPU if you don't have an integrated gpu.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Try 1 stick of ram in every different slot, check your ram/ plugs are seated properly, run with only CPU, cooler ram and mobo. Try drive in another computer (don't boot from it, but rather connect it and see if you can accesses it etc.) If your PSU is modular try using a different connector for your drive.

This !

PC posted into BIOS with 1 ram stick in b2 slot and no gpu

went into bios and set clock speed to 2666mhz fix

now pc is up and running perfectly

• 4 weeks later...

This !

Hello guys. I am new here, i just found this thread via google search. You both deserve the biggest THANK YOU I could ever make!

THANK YOU Albie for the intuition, THANK YOU CH-Nils for the final solution with correct RAM slot (yeah, it worked for me too!)

I would just like to put my details here, so that any other google-searcher could find some benefit from this thread! :)

Asus Z170-A, Intel Core i7-6700, 32GB RAM HyperX 2666Mhz (i guess the frequency is the culprit here!), An M.2 PCIe HyperX SSD 240GB and ASUS STRIX GTX 750Ti.

Thank you again, you both saved my day. :)

• 2 months later...

Hello guys. I am new here, i just found this thread via google search. You both deserve the biggest THANK YOU I could ever make!

THANK YOU Albie for the intuition, THANK YOU CH-Nils for the final solution with correct RAM slot (yeah, it worked for me too!)

I would just like to put my details here, so that any other google-searcher could find some benefit from this thread! :)

Asus Z170-A, Intel Core i7-6700, 32GB RAM HyperX 2666Mhz (i guess the frequency is the culprit here!), An M.2 PCIe HyperX SSD 240GB and ASUS STRIX GTX 750Ti.

Thank you again, you both saved my day. :)

Hey guys,

I encountered the same problem but these steps won't work for me.

I started with only cpu, cooler and one stick of ram. I tried each slot with both sticks. I even popped the battery and shorted the jumper.

I unplugged the ssd and hdd. No luck

Any other ideas? No beep on start and stuck at the bios_device_light.

Here is my build. I have the same HyperX 2666 ram.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YFGnP6

Thanks for the help

• 2 months later...

Hello peoples,

I'm experiencing the same issue with my new build. Hopefully your suggestion, Albie, will work for me as well. At work right now so I'll try it out later tonight.

On 9/10/2015 at 9:16 AM, Albie said:

I already tried with one less stick of RAM in slot 2, but I haven't tried to remove the GPU yet. There might be something different wrong with my setup though, as the only light that shows on mine is the Power LED, nothing else. Steps I've tried so far:

- 1x RAM in slot 2.

- Re-attached both RAMs

- Re-attach power cables etc.

- Removed HDD

I read on another forum that if you connect your CPU-Fan to the optional connector, it will still power up but the mobo may refuse to start as it believes there is no cooling to the CPU. I'm pretty sure I connected it to the right one though looking at the manual.

My specs:

- Asus Z170-A Intel Skylake

- Intel Core i5 6600K Quad Core CPU Processor (w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo)

- Asus AMD R9 390 Strix Gaming OC

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 Mhz

- 2x Samsung 2.5 inch 250 GB 850 EVO

Fingers crossed I'll be able to fix it this weekend. Thank you Albie and CH-Nils for the post!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2015 at 6:30 AM, CH-Nils said:

This !

I had to create an account just to give two thumbs up! Following the manual didn't help.

Thanks for "THIS!"

• 1 month later...
On 10/09/2015 at 7:30 AM, CH-Nils said:

This !

This also fixed my problem! Just registered to say thanks! 

My pc only booted with integrated graphics,  gpu was not working. Banged my head several hours doing a lot of stuff but this was the problem solver! 

My rig:

Asus z170 pro gaming

Hyper X 2666 16gb (2x8gb) 

I5 6600k

AMD RADEON 6870

The bios was using 2133 frequency,  I guess that was the problem!