Windows 10 File explorer takes forever to load

jedylan

When I try to open any folder in Windows 10. Progress bar stops at 90% and stays there even after 1hour, and there is no links to important folders like my drives, my pc and my documents.

This PC runs on a Q6600 processor with 8Gb of RAM, and a Radeon HD3600

post-102949-0-59609600-1441818433_thumb.

When I try to open any folder in Windows 10. Progress bar stops at 90% and stays there even after 1hour, and there is no links to important folders like my drives, my pc and my documents.

Sounds like you did a upgrade install didn't you?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Yes I did but I did on many computers, I upgraded 8 PCs last week, only this one has a problem, some upgrades even solved some problems.

When I restart my PC the problem is solved, but I currently work with about 12 HDDs and when I swap drives the problem comes back.

My first suspicion would be a dodgy drive. Do you have another that you could install onto and test?

You mean the C: drive would be corrupted? ( I currently have 5 drives plugged in )

You mean the C: drive would be corrupted? ( I currently have 5 drives plugged in )

not necessarily the c drive. I would suggest that you unplug all drives apart from your c drive to see if you still get the problem.

• 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2015 at 10:13 AM, jedylan said:

post-102949-0-59609600-1441818433_thumb.

I found this solution on another website and it helped me fix the same issue.

"After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't."

Step by step guide:
1. Hold Win+r to open run
2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
3. Click Services
4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
5. Uncheck tickbox
6. Click apply then ok
7. Select to restart now

12 hours ago, JojoYoder said:

I found this solution on another website and it helped me fix the same issue.

"After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't."

Step by step guide:
1. Hold Win+r to open run
2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
3. Click Services
4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
5. Uncheck tickbox
6. Click apply then ok
7. Select to restart now

Sounds like some sort of indexing problem. 

Windows 10 search sucks.

I can't remember who said it.. Maybe it was Linus maybe it was Bitwit...

but even windows 98 search was better than the windows 10 one :P