Was the ultimaker video another swap for airtime? Update Ultimaker confirms YES

nunya bus

Unless discussion gets out of hand, or a thread violates the CoC in some way, there's no real need to expect a lock. The previous thread was locked because the last two pages were filled with ad-hominems instead of actual discussion.

Well, we have same OP who already has made comments that aren't so nice (among other members who go along). I'm just saying.

E: Don't want to spam/offtopic. But nice pun v

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well, we have same OP who already has made comments that aren't so nice (among other members who go along). I'm just saying.

There is a difference between having questions about sponsored videos and influenced reviews (in the framework of the much publicised FTC and ACA crackdown on youtube) and being very unplesent and provocovative, so I hope your dig about other members is not directed at me

the brand deal is 

Linus is given a 4,000 US ultimaker 2 in exchange for the review. Thats the BRAND DEAL 

and in regards to total B. he discloses this very fact EVERY TIME! with ZERO ambiguity 

No. This is a product overview. 

You are 100% incorrect and have no idea what are you are even arguing about. 

</thread>

the brand deal is 

Linus is given a 4,000 US ultimaker 2 in exchange for the review. Thats the BRAND DEAL 

and in regards to total B. he discloses this very fact EVERY TIME! with ZERO ambiguity 

Oh, you were in the room when all the contact between LMG and Ultimaker occurred? You're in a position to flatly state what the terms of the deal were, and support with evidence? You have access to email and phone records? If so, feel free to post them so we can all be on the same page.

Nunya, it is painfully obvious that you are not aware of how advertising works, and the different outlets.

The case of the ultimaker video is this: Linus can be treated as more of a celebrity than a journalist, though he is both. Just merely having the product in the background or if he tweeted about it a couple times, could be considered a success for Ultimaker. It's similar to how Smart Water became successful.

It all boils down to LMG having close to 2 million subscribed viewers, and it cost Ultimaker less than $4,000 to reach that many (somewhat) targeted unique impressions. Not a bad deal.

Anyone watch the WAN show? *chuckle*

No, why?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No, why?

Just watch it when you have time and pay attention.

mate (am I saying this right) MATE. its okay if you dont understand why Im doing this. feel free to try to bully someone else into not speaking up or something. cause I still will regardless of how many times you repeat yourself. 

Ultimaker has confirmed via Twitter they have gien him this in exchange for the ad time. which we all know is highly unethical. and that wasnt disclosed at all. 

My agenda is I want fair and disclosed advertisements. I dont work for another youtube chan. I don't hate Linus. I like his vids. I just want to see him follow the rules a bit better. especially since he holds the trust of a lot of people. 

I would do the same to a professor 

You promised me that you are not racist. I'm disappointed.......

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

You promised me that you are not racist. I'm disappointed.......

The race card is what gets threads like these close so dont play it. Its like playing the Commodore Matthew Perry card in a game about Japanese history. But in that case I guess you always win. :P

You need to understand the difference between exposure and advertisement. In advertisements you have to be positive and you are not allowed to show negative points about. The Ultimaker wasn't an advert, it was a review that effectively gave Ultimaker exposure. He was negative about some points (namely price) and positive about others.

If you think it's unethical to give Ultimaker exposure do so. But, don't call it a advertisement when it isn't.

And please don't attack other users who disagree with you.

The race card is what gets threads like these close so dont play it. Its like playing the Commodore Matthew Perry card in a game about Japanese History.

Yep.

Why do you try to attack people based on racial stereotypes.. Wasn't the other thread Bahrain and now it's Australia? Next you'll be offering me a fosters and a shrimp on the barbie. (Fellow Aussies do not explain please).

Again it was said in the video. Ultimaker offered to send the unit, LTT accepted. It's also called EXPOSURE, do you want them to open every video with them going. Hi I'm insert *name* and we're making this video for *insert reason* and this is all the communication we've had in regards to it. They would lose subs so quickly LTT would be done by Christmas of next year.
See embedded video for proof:
https://youtu.be/nJLTguhW6Ps?t=19s

Also I am not bullying you in any shape or form.

Kind of a shame, I was the last person whom he spoke of my country. I have nothing against the OP, but I'm not with racism in any form.

I said Racial Stereotypes, I never said you where a Racist...
Also what's the go with this message you sent me.

Here be I make a correction, he called me lazy as a Bahraini to read 10 pages and referred to this "fact" as evidence.

Pascal laptops guide

@The Profosist, this thread was almost dead before your comment :D Now I need to check WAN show ASAP to get that joke.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Lol yes funny reference to this thread

Kind of a shame, I was the last person whom he spoke of my country. I have nothing against the OP, but I'm not with racism in any form.

Here be I make a correction, he called me lazy as a Bahraini to read 10 pages and referred to this "fact" as evidence.

And this thread is now going to be shut down.

Thank God !

@The Profosist, this thread was almost dead before your comment :D Now I need to check WAN show ASAP to get that joke.

You messed up that tag there. But yea watch it. It's a good one anyways, well minus Linus peaking all the time. [emoji14]

And this thread is now going to be shut down.

Thank God !

Awe van things not be kept civil. I mean really its not that hard. At least I don't think it is...
Anyone disagree?

Awe van things not be kept civil. I mean really its not that hard. At least I don't think it is...
Anyone disagree?

I think it's too late to save the thread at this point, especially after I pointed the where I thought the OP was using racial remarks.

Lol yes funny reference to this thread

Give me the time stamp, I missed it!

Pascal laptops guide

Anyone disagree?

Try having a thread on a Apple forum about the Samsung Galaxy S6 being the best phone and you will see how uncivil people really are !

Give me the time stamp, I missed it!

Lol I am not going to go through the whole video. He was talking about the 1up box at the time, should narrow it down for you

Try having a thread on a Apple forum about the Samsung Galaxy S6 being the best phone and you will see how uncivil people really are !

I think your just asking for it then though...

You messed up that tag there. But yea watch it. It's a good one anyways, well minus Linus peaking all the time.

Sorry. I think Linus makes few puns about the whole thing on other topics too. Like the Apple Watch part.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ironically the joke about disclosure is in the middle of the show and after they have already advertised the thing they are advertising. Its a great example of how not to disclose.

• 3 weeks later...

Nunya, it is painfully obvious that you are not aware of how advertising works, and the different outlets.

The case of the ultimaker video is this: Linus can be treated as more of a celebrity than a journalist, though he is both. Just merely having the product in the background or if he tweeted about it a couple times, could be considered a success for Ultimaker. It's similar to how Smart Water became successful.

It all boils down to LMG having close to 2 million subscribed viewers, and it cost Ultimaker less than $4,000 to reach that many (somewhat) targeted unique impressions. Not a bad deal.

Marketing company. makes advertisement. goes to TV/cable whatever and buys ad time for the time slot it wants. 

here this happens 

company emails Linus and offers a free Ultimaker printer in exchange for a review. Linus then makes said interview acting as a reviewer. when he gets paid essentially a frigging expensive printer. I know exactly how it works good sir. DO you? 

Gift giving entity is a tech related company, reviewer is a tech related company.

one tech company wants to get exposure by giving their product to a well known reviewing company to play with & give their opinions/findings/research findings with it.

win-win for both.

what is your issue if they keep it to them or send them back?

Desktop:

CPU : i5 4440 | Motherboard : Gigabyte B85M-D3H | RAM : Kingstone HyperX blu 4GB x2 | GPU : Asus R9 280X DC II Top [RIP 2017] | PSU : Corsair VS 550W | Display(s) : Dell S2240L | Mouse : Logitech G400s | Operating System : Windows 7 64bit

Laptop:

Acer Predator Helios 300 (CPU: Intel Core i5 7300HQ | GPU: GTX 1050ti | RAM: 16GB RAM | Operating System: Windows 10 64bit)

Ironically the joke about disclosure is in the middle of the show and after they have already advertised the thing they are advertising. Its a great example of how not to disclose.

Sounds perfect for a joke though.

Smells like 1st year law student in here... "I leant something new in class today and want to show the rest of the world how smart I am!" ;)

Or did you guys buy it? This is the important thing regarding disclosure 

so I spoke to Ultimaker on Twitter. And yes they confirmed that they gave the unit for LTT to keep, and to do a segment, review, piece whatever. And they look forward to seeing what he can do to show off the Ultimaker. 

we know this requires disclosure. 

I dont care he got the unit at all. its cool! 

but if he is supposed to do a review. and he was given this EXPENSIVE item for free to keep. then saying 

Ultimaker offered it, or sent us, or gave us a chance. Is far too loose 

it needs to be stated. Ultimaker gave us this to keep in exchange for us to do this video, to do a review, and what teh expectations were. so we the audience (the TARGET) knows why! 

so I was just tweeting Ultimaker they have since confirmed they gave the unit to Linus, and Once again there is no disclosure. 

ill be reporting this and my tweets as evidence to the ASA and to the FCC 

what this one ? 

https://twitter.com/Ultimaker/with_replies

Its not as cool as your grey hair. ! love it! 

mate (am I saying this right) MATE. its okay if you dont understand why Im doing this. feel free to try to bully someone else into not speaking up or something. cause I still will regardless of how many times you repeat yourself. 

Ultimaker has confirmed via Twitter they have gien him this in exchange for the ad time. which we all know is highly unethical. and that wasnt disclosed at all. 

My agenda is I want fair and disclosed advertisements. I dont work for another youtube chan. I don't hate Linus. I like his vids. I just want to see him follow the rules a bit better. especially since he holds the trust of a lot of people. 

I would do the same to a professor 

I love how you just completely lie about what Ultimaker stated in their tweets. Oh, and nice harassment too dude. I honestly hope you end up with a lawsuit on your hands. 

Ultimaker confirmed they gave the printer to LMG but did not state it was for an ad. They stated they enjoyed his video and are looking forward to whatever he does next. 

jLhhZdh.png

Lets be honest here. Ultimaker wouldnt just give them a printer, unless Linus said yes ill do a video for you. they expect it. 

Actually there's a lot of companies that would. He has 2 million followers. The fact that he might use it in a video, or for a project or hell even in the background is good enough for them. LMG doesn't have to trade reviews for products. These company's will send it to him and if he wants to he will and if he doesn't want to then it's still not a loss for them. That's how these relationships work across many different platforms.