Was the ultimaker video another swap for airtime? Update Ultimaker confirms YES

nunya bus

Why do you try to attack people based on racial stereotypes.. Wasn't the other thread Bahrain and now it's Australia? Next you'll be offering me a fosters and a shrimp on the barbie. (Fellow Aussies do not explain please).

Again it was said in the video. Ultimaker offered to send the unit, LTT accepted. It's also called EXPOSURE, do you want them to open every video with them going. Hi I'm insert *name* and we're making this video for *insert reason* and this is all the communication we've had in regards to it. They would lose subs so quickly LTT would be done by Christmas of next year.

See embedded video for proof:

https://youtu.be/nJLTguhW6Ps?t=19s

Also I am not bullying you in any shape or form. 

I said Racial Stereotypes, I never said you where a Racist...

Also what's the go with this message you sent me.

post-2826-0-46996400-1441797058_thumb.pn

I said Racial Stereotypes, I never said you where a Racist...

Also what's the go with this message you sent me.

You posted that PM now hes going to sue you for slander too.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: ASUS RTX 2080TI | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Ive said many times I like The LTT videos.

over the last month or so I have just seen all the youtubers follow the same script. then the Machinima thing came out. and its opened my eyes a bit more.

the problem is the ethics. Why would I care if he gets free stuff.

but its the fact, that people put a lot of trust into their purchase decisions, and they dont know that a certain percentage of stuff. is videos done in exchange for the free gifts etc. so people may think they are watching a review. when it is just a product placement disguised as one.

the problem is WE DONT KNOW .

Sigh....

They are get the thing if they make a video about it

The company didn't say "you get the product if you make a positive review" they just said review, so it's still an honest opinion

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

You posted that PM now hes going to sue you for slander too.

It's not slander if I don't say anything to contradict what he said

@nunya bus, maybe you should turn your attentions to politics. You will have far more un-ethical behaviour and corruption to focus on than here. I think most people who watch these vids will understand that Linus and the team are quite comfortable with slating a product which has faults, and that their opinion is usually pretty close to the mark.

The video is not an ad. It's exposure.

Yes, they got one for free if they did a video on it, but they didn't say it had to be a positive one. I'm sure that if the product sucked, LTT would have bad things to say about it and they would share those with their audience. But that is the risk Ultimaker takes by making this deal. They wouldn't make this deal if they didn't believe their product is good.

As for the fact that LMG accepted this deal: they have a channel about technology. 3D printing is about as interesting as consumergrade technology can get. I've wanted them to cover this subject for a long time, but it's an expensive thing to get into, so I'm happy they were able to make this deal. I'm very interested to see what they can do with this in future videos (scrapyard wars comes to mind).

The video is not an ad. It's exposure.

Yes, they got one for free if they did a video on it, but they didn't say it had to be a positive one. I'm sure that if the product sucked, LTT would have bad things to say about it and they would share those with their audience. But that is the risk Ultimaker takes by making this deal. They wouldn't make this deal if they didn't believe their product is good.

As for the fact that LMG accepted this deal: they have a channel about technology. 3D printing is about as interesting as consumergrade technology can get. I've wanted them to cover this subject for a long time, but it's an expensive thing to get into, so I'm happy they were able to make this deal. I'm very interested to see what they can do with this in future videos (scrapyard wars comes to mind).

Thanks for your comment. I agree. 

I dont have an issue that this type of practice is done. Im fine with it. I just want it disclosed in full. 

saying AMD challenged us, or Ultimaker made this possible. is not enough. and its been covered ad nauseum. it has to unavoidable that the person knows they got a free printer for giving them the exposure/airtime/free product placment. this is what I take issue with 

Your starting another one of these threads. The last one got closed for good reason. I hope you can hold it together as I'm sure the mods are watching.

Also go look up the exact stuff for Canada if your so inclined. As I said in the last thread Canadian law, not US or UK, applies to them. And being similar is not as "the same". I'm just saying if you're going to push this topic do it right.

Thanks for your comment. I agree. 

I dont have an issue that this type of practice is done. Im fine with it. I just want it disclosed in full. 

saying AMD challenged us, or Ultimaker made this possible. is not enough. and its been covered ad nauseum. it has to unavoidable that the person knows they got a free printer for giving them the exposure/airtime/free product placment. this is what I take issue with 

Well I disagree on that. Luke says in the video "Ultimaker offered us an Ultimaker 2 to send to us". What I get from that is that they got it for free. Whether they have a deal on making a video about it is not my concern and I don't care about that as long as they can give their honest opinion about the product. I trust Linus and LMG in that regard. He has explained himself enough on this subject in my opinion.

Your starting another one of these threads. The last one got closed for good reason. I hope you can hold it together as I'm sure the mods are watching.

Also go look up the exact stuff for Canada if your so inclined. As I said in the last thread Canadian law, not US or UK, applies to them. And being similar is not as "the same". I'm just saying if you're going to push this topic do it right.

Hey Prof. 

actually youtube laws must be followed and they are based in the US. so apparently the youtube guidelines have to be followed regardless. and they are based off the US ones. 

Wow people are getting really butthurt over this.

There is nothing wrong with wanting more transparency and clarity about how LTT obtained the product. They do a great job of this in the "handy tech under 100 dollars" videos but in other videos they are more vague.

I agree with OP that they should be clear about it, but I think it's a bit overkill to say you will report them to the FCC for it. The FCC doesn't even apply to Canada.

There is nothing wrong with wanting more transparency and clarity about how LTT obtained the product. They do a great job of this in the "handy tech under 100 dollars" videos but in other videos they are more vague.

I agree with OP that they should be clear about it, but I think it's a bit overkill to say you will report them to the FCC for it. The FCC doesn't even apply to Canada.

yeah it so weird the venom thats coming out over asking for more transparency.
I dunno if they are like tech addicts. and like they start sweating at the mere fact Linus's channel might get deleted or something. so they lash out.
its way over the top. and it makes me inclined to think those posts are the ones that turned up to the fan meet and look so cringy :)

but the majority of posts here. have been constructive and cordial

I have been called a racist twice now. for just pointing out well known facts. Then the 2nd time was cause I said the word MATE. That's kinda weird too!

Well I disagree on that. Luke says in the video "Ultimaker offered us an Ultimaker 2 to send to us". What I get from that is that they got it for free. Whether they have a deal on making a video about it is not my concern and I don't care about that as long as they can give their honest opinion about the product. I trust Linus and LMG in that regard. He has explained himself enough on this subject in my opinion.

a cool experiment would be if Linus received said expensive printer. and they just took it and did nothing.
would ultimaker ring them and say hey. are you going to do that video. or would they just not do anything?
the answer is. its inferred that they do one.
And if they didnt I do wonder what ultimaker would do. hence why there has to be an agreement of sorts. that includes a video in exchange. otherwise they would loose so much cash, and then no "exposure"

Hey Prof.
actually youtube laws must be followed and they are based in the US. so apparently the youtube guidelines have to be followed regardless. and they are based off the US ones.

YouTube doesn't have laws its a company... It does have to abide by US law if that's what you mean. But content creator law only applies to YouTube when they make the content. More than anything content hosting laws would apply to them.

Now YouTube does have a list of rules that content creators agree to when they upload videos. Anywhere in there is there anything about this sort of thing? I kinda doubt it since its not their job to police it.

Just as in the video you gave in the video UK law applied to a UK company. It would be the same for this. Just because it's hosted on a US service doesn't mean the content creation laws apply to it. Actually there are YouTube server's everywhere and this doesn't make all their laws apply. I think k it was the NSA that tried that. Hey your US company but this server is in Ireland, since you a US company were entitled to that data on that Ireland Server. Which is very much incorrect.

I guess I don't see the need since I understand the whole industry for the most part. Basically just mention in some way that the company sent you the product for review (or whatever) and your good.

I have to and have been following FTC law for my reviews. One company actually asked me to further clarify it in a recent review. Either way I'm still not going to write it blatant and boring but make it flow into the review as best possible.

yeah it so weird the venom thats coming out over asking for more transparency. 

I dunno if they are like tech addicts. and like they start sweating at the mere fact Linus's channel might get deleted or something. so they lash out. 

its way over the top. and it makes me inclined to think those posts are the ones that turned up to the fan meet and look so cringy :) 

but the majority of posts here. have been constructive and cordial 

Like Linus said multiple times, he won't review stuff that isn't worth it and doesn't take money for reviews, he just reviews what he wants to review.

If a company however sends a product to them that is meant for review purpose only then it depends on what they do with it, if they think it's worth it they will make a review of it, if not they will just send it back, they did that before with one of the samsung phones I thought.

Based on that I dare to say that their(LMG) reviews are fair and they mainly state THEIR opinion about something and let us decide what we think of it for ourselves and make our own conclusion out of it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

a cool experiment would be if Linus received said expensive printer. and they just took it and did nothing. 

would ultimaker ring them and say hey. are you going to do that video. or would they just not do anything? 

the answer is. its inferred that they do one.

And if they didnt I do wonder what ultimaker would do. hence why there has to be an agreement of sorts. that includes a video in exchange. otherwise they would loose so much cash, and then no "exposure"  

They probably signed a contract or confirmed this agreement by mail, so there would be consequences if they broke that deal.

That said, why would LMG NOT make a video about this? It's a win for everyone. Ultimaker gets exposure (be it good or bad, again that is the risk they take), LMG gets an expensive piece of interesting tech that they can use to make videos that will be popular.  I don't see any downsides to these kinds of deals.

Like Linus said multiple times, he won't review stuff that isn't worth it and doesn't take money for reviews, he just reviews what he wants to review.

If a company however sends a product to them that is meant for review purpose only then it depends on what they do with it, if they think it's worth it they will make a review of it, if not they will just send it back, they did that before with one of the samsung phones I thought.

Based on that I dare to say that their(LMG) reviews are fair and they mainly state THEIR opinion about something and let us decide what we think of it for ourselves and make our own conclusion out of it.

I dont care one bit that he gets them for free . and I dont doubt the varacity of his reviews. For the most parts

but what I think everyone would benifit from, is the fact that these are done in return for free products and also what agreements were made. 

like  you cant d oa video saying Nvidia's amazing and great, without saying. ohh by the way. Nvidia just gave us 20K worth of Quadro and Titan X's in exchange for this video. leaves a bad taste in my mouth 

I don't see why any of that matters. I think he should be open and clear about when he gets things for free for the purpose of reviewing them.

He does a very good job of this in some videos but I would like to see it in all videos.

They probably signed a contract or confirmed this agreement by mail, so there would be consequences if they broke that deal.

That said, why would LMG NOT make a video about this? It's a win for everyone. Ultimaker gets exposure (be it good or bad, again that is the risk they take), LMG gets an expensive piece of interesting tech that they can use to make videos that will be popular.  I don't see any downsides to these kinds of deals.

I don't think OP is saying these kinds of deals are bad. He is asking LTT to be clearer about what is going on.

I dont care one bit that he gets them for free . and I dont doubt the varacity of his reviews. For the most parts

but what I think everyone would benifit from, is the fact that these are done in return for free products and also what agreements were made.

like you cant d oa video saying Nvidia's amazing and great, without saying. ohh by the way. Nvidia just gave us 20K worth of Quadro and Titan X's in exchange for this video. leaves a bad taste in my mouth

They did not give them stuff to make a positive video.

The gave them stuff to make a video

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I don't think OP is saying these kinds of deals are bad. He is asking LTT to be clearer about what is going on.

If OP (and you) want more transparency about all of this from LMG, good, ask them for it, but they don't have to do it more then they are doing it so you might not get what you want. I personally don't care at all, and am completely fine with how they mention it.

To be fair, OP did state that he was going to report them to the FCC or whatever. That's not just asking for clarity...

They did not give them stuff to make a positive video.

The gave them stuff to make a video

but you can't pay for a review can you. this is  the issue. it becomes an ad at that point. 

and make no mistake giving someone a gift for the review (exactly is happening here) positive or not. makes it an AD pure and simple 100%

and  this is the issue. 

thats why it needs disclosure so people know what the difference is.

What, in precise terms, do you think the benefit will be to us?
Any sane critical thinker watching a review anywhere should always assume that things given out for free come with some expectations.
Anyone not applying this test is either incredibly naive or an idiot. Probably both. Perhaps even deliberately going out of their way to make a big deal out of something innocuous.
Almost like a Darwin award for the internet. Do the maths for appending the 'stupid people disclaimer' to every video. The time wasted on those few people dumb people... Illogical, especially for a small business.

I tend to think LMG does a fairly great job of shitcanning bad products, but that is largely irrelevant. Linus can do whatever the fak he wants. There are no laws pertaining to the transparency of youtube channels, Your weirdly misplaced sense of ethics aside.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Or did you guys buy it? This is the important thing regarding disclosure 

so I spoke to Ultimaker on Twitter. And yes they confirmed that they gave the unit for LTT to keep, and to do a segment, review, piece whatever. And they look forward to seeing what he can do to show off the Ultimaker. 

we know this requires disclosure. 

I dont care he got the unit at all. its cool! 

but if he is supposed to do a review. and he was given this EXPENSIVE item for free to keep. then saying 

Ultimaker offered it, or sent us, or gave us a chance. Is far too loose 

it needs to be stated. Ultimaker gave us this to keep in exchange for us to do this video, to do a review, and what teh expectations were. so we the audience (the TARGET) knows why! 

Not another of these threads after you got the other one closed down.

If you care this much write a complaint to the Canadian Advertising Authority (or what ever they are called) but stop spamming these threads. We all had an opportunity in the last thread (before you had it closed down because of your petty bickering) to make our feelings known to Linus and he said that he took the points on board. People also said that they were going to make complains about the channel to the authorities in Canada (crazy over reaction btw) so do you really need to start this again?

Are you on Jay2Cents forum saying the same thing or OC3D forum to complain ? All tech reviewers do this, its part of the industry culture. Want it changed? Write to the Canadian, US and UK Government.

Dont want to? then stop spamming here please  

but you can't pay for a review can you. this is the issue. it becomes an ad at that point.

and make no mistake giving someone a gift for the review (exactly is happening here) positive or not. makes it an AD pure and simple 100%

and this is the issue.

thats why it needs disclosure so people know what the difference is.

No. It's not an add.

It's product placement

but you can't pay for a review can you. this is  the issue. it becomes an ad at that point.

advertisement
ədˈvəːtɪzm(ə)nt,-tɪs-/
noun
noun: advertisement; plural noun: advertisements
a notice or announcement in a public medium promoting a product, service, or event or publicizing a job vacancy.

review
rɪˈvjuː/
noun
noun: review; plural noun: reviews
    a formal assessment of something with the intention of instituting change if necessary.
    "a comprehensive review of UK defence policy"
  2. a critical appraisal of a book, play, film, etc. published in a newspaper or magazine.
    "she released her debut solo album to rave reviews"

Or, in simple terms:

1. Ad: exposure in a positive and pre-agreed matter in exchange for money/benefits/services (notice the word "promoting" in the actual defenition)
  2. Review: critical view on something (notice the word "critical" in the actual definition)

Notice how number two doesn't specify where the "something" comes from and it specifies "critical view"? That's the difference. Even if you were given a million trillion billion dollars, as long as you are honest in what you say about the product, showcase both positives and negatives about, and don't change the verdict because it would hurt the payer, you're still making a review.

It's all fine and dandy that you feel like LMG isn't transparent enough. No problem. Linus heard you. He even replied in your previous thread. We've had the discussion. Some people agree with you, some people don't. Some people are in between. There really is no reason to keep digging it up. LMG knows you have an issue with. If they don't change the way they mention it, you either suck it up, or stop watching. It's really that simple.

Note: I may be a moderator, but all of the above is entirely my own view. In no way, shape or form am I being paid for this message.

What, in precise terms, do you think the benefit will be to us?

Any sane critical thinker watching a review anywhere should always assume that things given out for free come with some expectations.

Anyone not applying this test is either incredibly naive or an idiot. Probably both. Perhaps even deliberately going out of their way to make a big deal out of something innocuous.

Almost like a Darwin award for the internet. Do the maths for appending the 'stupid people disclaimer' to every video. The time wasted on those few people dumb people... Illogical, especially for a small business.

I tend to think LMG does a fairly great job of shitcanning bad products, but that is largely irrelevant. Linus can do whatever the fak he wants. There are no laws pertaining to the transparency of youtube channels, Your weirdly misplaced sense of ethics aside.

I dont know if you know. but a pretty big investigation was concluded regarding very similar things regarding Machinima. 

So yeah its a big deal.