Short usb

Tweakforce_LG

If everything works right, you're fine.

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake.

Wely battery just gave up. It jumped from 45% to 7% in a second. But above 45% and it worked

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Im going to order a new battery, anything i should keep in mind while doing so

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Im going to order a new battery, anything i should keep in mind while doing so

Get it from a reputable source, make sure you don't get one that is any different from what you had (like more cells or anything). Keep in mind its possible you shorted the battery when the arc occurred, or something is damaged inside and causing it to short. If this is the case you may not be able to return the new battery if your machine breaks it, but if it does you might be lucky enough to just say it didn't work and return it within the safe return period. 

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

Get it from a reputable source, make sure you don't get one that is any different from what you had (like more cells or anything). Keep in mind its possible you shorted the battery when the arc occurred, or something is damaged inside and causing it to short. If this is the case you may not be able to return the new battery if your machine breaks it, but if it does you might be lucky enough to just say it didn't work and return it within the safe return period.

I doubt its something inside causing that because it would short the ac adapter of that was the case but the ac adapter is working. And also the fact the battery is still functioning about 40% suggests its the battery and not internals

I doubt its something inside causing that because it would short the ac adapter of that was the case but the ac adapter is working. And also the fact the battery is still functioning about 40% suggests its the battery and not internals

That is very true, but I've certainly seen stranger things happen. Good luck to you! 

--Thread killer--

That is very true, but I've certainly seen stranger things happen. Good luck to you! 

Ok thanks, Im glad it probably is only the battery, i got very lucky, anything could have happened. But theres only one way to find out :P

Here is the battery im considering, its a proper official OEM battery from a reputable seller in my nation:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=SEVOEM5083&name=HP-OEM-Battery-for-PR06-4330s-4430s-4530s-4435s-44

The battery may have been in storage for a year or 2 in brand new condition, will this effect the battery much?

Ok thanks, Im glad it probably is only the battery, i got very lucky, anything could have happened. But theres only one way to find out :P

Here is the battery im considering, its a proper official OEM battery from a reputable seller in my nation:

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=SEVOEM5083&name=HP-OEM-Battery-for-PR06-4330s-4430s-4530s-4435s-44

The battery may have been in storage for a year or 2 in brand new condition, will this effect the battery much?

Not really, just charge it fully before you use it.

--Thread killer--

Not really, just charge it fully before you use it.

Im glad i found the oem one for a relatively good price, i dont like 3rd party, even though the battery in it now is 3rd party. Thanks for this valuable advice you really helped me :). What puzzles me is that it lasts well over an hour before screwing out. And when charging it will get stuck at 75% then jump to 100%. Thats really confusing me lol

Im glad i found the oem one for a relatively good price, i dont like 3rd party, even though the battery in it now is 3rd party. Thanks for this valuable advice you really helped me :). What puzzles me is that it lasts well over an hour before screwing out. And when charging it will get stuck at 75% then jump to 100%. Thats really confusing me lol

The readout is incorrect because it shorted. This is common behavior when something in it gets messed up. glad to be of help

--Thread killer--

The readout is incorrect because it shorted. This is common behavior when something in it gets messed up. glad to be of help

Im just really scared that my laptop could break the new battery, but it runs off the ac adapter fine. I know its hard to say but from what ive said so far, how likely does it sound that its just the battery at fault and not something else that will cause problems with the new battery. Bearing in mind ac adaper works a treat and battery works except screwed readouts.

And is it safe to use this battery for a few more days till i get a replacement. Ill stop asking questions after this

from what ive said so far, how likely does it sound that its just the battery at fault and not something else that will cause problems with the new battery

I'd say I'm about 80% sure you just need a new battery. 

battery works except screwed readouts.

Well, technically it isn't working correctly, the incorrect readouts are the result of incorrect discharge, this of course being caused by the short in the battery itself. If there was something wrong with your computer, you'd probably get an odd reading when you removed the battery (like that it thought one was still in there or gave you a percentage still or something)

--Thread killer--

And is it safe to use this battery for a few more days till i get a replacement. Ill stop asking questions after this

Eh, it won't hurt your computer UNLESS it gets super hot or burns up, but this very unlikely to happen and rarely does. Its no bother I like to help people. :)

--Thread killer--

I really need to use this battery for a week more

And thanks for the help [emoji14]. Once i get this battery im going to get a few more years out of this laptop

I really need to use this battery for a week more

Should be no real problem.

And thanks for the help [emoji14]. Once i get this battery im going to get a few more years out of this laptop

Not a problem at all. Yeah it should be good. The minor short in all likelihood caused very little or no damage (other than to perhaps the battery or that may have been an issue before but took a long time to manifest itself) 

--Thread killer--

Should be no real problem.

Not a problem at all. Yeah it should be good. The minor short in all likelihood caused very little or no damage (other than to perhaps the battery or that may have been an issue before but took a long time to manifest itself)

Yes of course this could just have been a coincidence and shorting pushed it over the edge. Either way, a new battery will give me more battery life for school, witch is what i really need

Yes of course this could just have been a coincidence and shorting pushed it over the edge. Either way, a new battery will give me more battery life for school, witch is what i really need

yes it will, especially if you charge it fully when you get it before you use and don't overcharge it. You can also get a better battery life by changing windows seetings like brightness, turning off the sound, and using the basic theme, or the really old theme. (like windows 95)

--Thread killer--

yes it will, especially if you charge it fully when you get it before you use and don't overcharge it. You can also get a better battery life by changing windows seetings like brightness, turning off the sound, and using the basic theme, or the really old theme. (like windows 95)

Thanks for the tips, im defiantly going to do that!

06a033cd65b8fd70f56f1877ac6fe012.jpg

If only battery check was correct LMAO well done HP xD

Anyway, id say 100% a new battery will fix it because if the charging circuit was done for the laptop would refuse to boot on battery. I personally think the chip controlling % readings in the battery has had it. So a new battery will almost certainly fix it. Please tell me if my logic is wrong or it has holes in it, i like the bitter truth [emoji14]

Sounds about right, also here is a good article on how to take care of Lithium-ion batteries in the best possible manner

http://www.sciencealert.com/how-to-make-your-batteries-last-longer

Its gonna suck when i get it and find out its the mobo, but thankfully the odds are stacked against that. Ill take a look at that link, i need it xD. This battery did take a bit of a drain lots when i decided to use it all the way to 7% before plugging it in. Defiantly not good for it

Sounds about right, also here is a good article on how to take care of Lithium-ion batteries in the best possible manner

http://www.sciencealert.com/how-to-make-your-batteries-last-longer

Just thinking, in what way could the charging circuit cause this odd behavior. Is there a way to test the battery out of the pc. I dont have another laptop on hand with the same battery model. Damn this has got me worried again

Just thinking, in what way could the charging circuit cause this odd behavior. Is there a way to test the battery out of the pc. I dont have another laptop on hand with the same battery model. Damn this has got me worried again

Could be a fused circuit (permanent short) But i really doubt it, you probably just have a dead battery, if the usb port you shocked isn't dead though i don't see this being any real issue. its probably just been a long time coming. 

--Thread killer--

Could be a fused circuit (permanent short) But i really doubt it, you probably just have a dead battery, if the usb port you shocked isn't dead though i don't see this being any real issue. its probably just been a long time coming.

Ok thank god. If that happens ill just sell it cheap to a freind and buy a worse laptop