Short usb

Tweakforce_LG

Ok im freaking out now.

I put the negitave and negitive of a usb and pc fan togetger and positive and positve of another together. The fan worked on usb power then stopped, this was bc the connection came loose. I twisted it back and coverd it. Then a small flame appeared and went a way, i removed the usb withing a split second. The usb ports all still work on my laptop. Help me im freaking out. If it's working have i done damage ??? Plz hrlp

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Ok im freaking out now.

I put the negitave and negitive of a usb and pc fan togetger and positive and positve of another together. The fan worked on usb power then stopped, this was bc the connection came loose. I twisted it back and coverd it. Then a small flame appeared and went a way, i removed the usb withing a split second. The usb ports all still work on my laptop. Help me im freaking out. If it's working have i done damage ??? Plz hrlp

Sounds like it arced but as long as everything is still working it will be fine don't correct wires when they are live disconnect them and make sure to insulate the connections so they don't short each other out.

Sounds like it arced but as long as everything is still working it will be fine don't correct wires when they are live disconnect them and make sure to insulate the connections so they don't short each other out.

So no internal laptop damage. Laptop didint cut out, thats a goos sign

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

So whats worse case sanario if everything is working a moment after it happend. Tested with multiple usbs and hdds

And also would this have damaged the battery?

And also would this have damaged the battery?

You should be fine as long as everything works as you tested, if you shorted out the positive and negative of the laptop it should have the proper short circuit safety features to cut off power to it so no harm done. As said connect thing when they aren't live and powered on.

You should be fine as long as everything works as you tested, if you shorted out the positive and negative of the laptop it should have the proper short circuit safety features to cut off power to it so no harm done. As said connect thing when they aren't live and powered on.

Im not sure why the laptop didn't power off by itself then

And how can arcing occor at low voltage, low current

If your USB ports still work, there was no serious damage, now, that doesn't mean nothing got damaged though, in the long run you may encounter some other USB related problems.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

If your USB ports still work, there was no serious damage, now, that doesn't mean nothing got damaged though, in the long run you may encounter some other USB related problems.

Ive tested all my usb devices from usb mouses to usb portable hdd's

Ive tested all my usb devices from usb mouses to usb portable hdd's

And do they all work correctly, if they work as they should, then you have nothing to worry about.

And do they all work correctly, if they work as they should, then you have nothing to worry about.

Computer works like nothing happend. It didnt even power of for safety. Bios checks and hp battery check all passed. Did i just get really lucky?

Computer works like nothing happend. It didnt even power of for safety. Bios checks and hp battery check all passed. Did i just get really lucky?

Probably, I've shorted USB ports before by accident and nothing serious happened, I also don't know what kind of protection the USB has.

USB ports have protection circuits, you may have been lucky.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Probably, I've shorted USB ports before by accident and nothing serious happened, I also don't know what kind of protection the USB has.

Its a probook 4530s. So whats the worst thing that happend to you when u did it

Its a probook 4530s. So whats the worst thing that happend to you when u did it

Not much, the computer freaked out a bit and stopped to recognize all the other USB peripherals I had, and other time I managed to restart the PC xD.

Not much, the computer freaked out a bit and stopped to recognize all the other USB peripherals I had, and other time I managed to restart the PC xD.

Mine just sat there while the cable was on fire. It just carried on like nothing ever happend xD

@

Would it be safe to continue making my usb fan but cut and solder and insulate the connectors for extra safety. Would the usb port still be able to drive the usb fan after that. Things all work fine, but what kind of minor damage could there be that arnt effecting me

You can start a fire with a battery with arcs it produces. its a camping trick, steel wool and a 9 volt battery, touch both ends to the steel wool and boom: on fire. 

yes

Would it be safe to continue making my usb fan but cut and solder and insulate the connectors for extra safety. Would the usb port still be able to drive the usb fan after that. Things all work fine, but what kind of minor damage could there be that arnt effecting me

You could have caused damage to some of the internal cables that while ok now, with continued use will slowly burn. If you started a fire, chances are something IS messed up, you just don't know it. Capacitors can blow and the computer may work for a while and then die. you could have damaged anything on the board really, or you might be perfectly fine, time will tell. I'd say probably fine if everything checks out. 

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

You can start a fire with a battery with arcs it produces. its a camping trick, steel wool and a 9 volt battery, touch both ends to the steel wool and boom: on fire.

yes

You could have caused damage to some of the internal cables that while ok now, with continued use will slowly burn. If you started a fire, chances are something IS messed up, you just don't know it. Capacitors can blow and the computer may work for a while and then die. you could have damaged anything on the board really, or you might be perfectly fine, time will tell. I'd say probably fine if everything checks out.

Yea. Just ran another usb fan off it for an hour, all working fine. Now im worried again, even though it seems good

Yea. Just ran another usb fan off it for an hour, all working fine. Now im worried again, even though it seems good

I wouldn't be worried unless you computer starts acting strange, but chances are you are ok, something would probably be affected even though it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Overall your chances are pretty good that everything is ok.  especially because the actual arc took place outside of the computer the fact that everything works fine means that you are probably ok. Just be more careful next time :)

and if you are brave maybe take a little peak inside, see if anything smells funny, or if the capacitors have bubbled tops (smaller capacitors may not do this). if no funny smell, and no bubbled capacitors, then you are ok. The smell would be the best indication, burnt plastic or silicon smell will linger for a long time inside a machine. Just sniffing the side wont do because the smell may be localized somewhere. Or you could just wait either way it seems as though you are just lucky. When i shorted out my USB it blew capacitors on the board and my USB stopped working and my computer failed only a few hours later. but that was a desktop. 

--Thread killer--

I wouldn't be worried unless you computer starts acting strange, but chances are you are ok, something would probably be affected even though it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Overall your chances are pretty good that everything is ok. especially because the actual arc took place outside of the computer the fact that everything works fine means that you are probably ok. Just be more careful next time :)

and if you are brave maybe take a little peak inside, see if anything smells funny, or if the capacitors have bubbled tops (smaller capacitors may not do this). if no funny smell, and no bubbled capacitors, then you are ok. The smell would be the best indication, burnt plastic or silicon smell will linger for a long time inside a machine. Just sniffing the side wont do because the smell may be localized somewhere. Or you could just wait either way it seems as though you are just lucky. When i shorted out my USB it blew capacitors on the board and my USB stopped working and my computer failed only a few hours later. but that was a desktop.

Ill have a look around. Cant see the caps in the laptop, im not sure it has any. But looks brand new and i havent noticed any smell

I wouldn't be worried unless you computer starts acting strange, but chances are you are ok, something would probably be affected even though it doesn't necessarily have to be that way. Overall your chances are pretty good that everything is ok. especially because the actual arc took place outside of the computer the fact that everything works fine means that you are probably ok. Just be more careful next time :)

Something concerning i found. My battery randomly jumped from 45% to 7% after leaving it on sleep and waking it. Battery check says its ok. And this has happend twice since the fire. But most of the time it discharges with no issue. Would recalibrating the battery have done this as i didn't that straight after the fire.

its pretty hard to say. at worst you'll have to get a new battery and most of those are pretty cheap

--Thread killer--

If everything works right, you're fine.

Just make sure you don't make the same mistake.